As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm old, and I don't get Bitcoin [Cryptocurrency and society].

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Wrong thread! Dogecoin best crypto!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I've read that the Facebook coin reveal is going to be a white paper only, and any implementation or coin launch is a year out. In a sane word that means they will take their negative PR bath and rejection from the crypto community and quietly kill the project some time over the next year. In a sane world...

Wait wait wait wait. Wait.

The crypto community isn't a fan of Facebook coin?

That's hilarious.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I've read that the Facebook coin reveal is going to be a white paper only, and any implementation or coin launch is a year out. In a sane word that means they will take their negative PR bath and rejection from the crypto community and quietly kill the project some time over the next year. In a sane world...

Wait wait wait wait. Wait.

The crypto community isn't a fan of Facebook coin?

That's hilarious.

The crypto community (which is already painting with a very large brush) is generally anti-establishment of any kind. They can't agree on a rotating group to lead a decentralized development team to develop a decentralized currency - they sure as hell won't accept a corporation being in charge.

Which really makes me wonder who keeps buying Ripple, since it's basically Bank Coin©.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The best part about crypto communities is they realized decentralized has a lot of shitty pitfalls and one of the biggest is "someone stole all my money and I have no way to recover it!"

Yeah buds, that's why we stopped with the barter system and then created things like cops, lawyers, judges, and federal regulations.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The best part about crypto communities is they realized decentralized has a lot of shitty pitfalls and one of the biggest is "someone stole all my money and I have no way to recover it!"

Yeah buds, that's why we stopped with the barter system and then created things like cops, lawyers, judges, and federal regulations.

I'm still of the opinion that the best way for crypto to go is effectively just replace currency, but not the rest of the architecture. Sure, I could hide my life's savings under the mattress, but I'd prefer a bank to do that for me. Crypto reduces the friction of financial transactions (no third party verification required through Visa/Interac/cheque clearing), but that's about it.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Marty81 wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I keep seeing ads on TV suggesting to the viewer that they get their investments out of gold and into bitcoin, as gold isn't doing much and bitcoin is the new hotness. It's very silly.

Who on earth is paying for these ads?

(Crypto exchanges?)

My guess? Somebody who needs the value to go up so they can cash out without losing a ton of money.

A lot of people are starting to catch on to the giant scam that is cryptocurrency, so they have to go after markets that have money but aren't as internet savvy, like old people. All the other big scams inevitably end up targeting the elderly, so why not them too, right?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »

I'm still of the opinion that the best way for crypto to go is effectively just replace currency, but not the rest of the architecture. Sure, I could hide my life's savings under the mattress, but I'd prefer a bank to do that for me. Crypto reduces the friction of financial transactions (no third party verification required through Visa/Interac/cheque clearing), but that's about it.

If anything transaction processing with Crypto is 100 times worse. Its slow, unreliable and you have to rely on unregulated entities to do it

• Options
    edited June 2019

Those transactions exist so money can be tracked.

When some dude absconds with $20000 and there's no way to get it back from him, it's a bad system.

I understand the desire to free your money from the system like banks are the matrix, but, the reason the banking systems have built up the way they are is because cash transactions are dangerous and cumbersome.

Escrow exists because people can't be trusted once a lot of money is on the line. Third parties serve a very important role in our modern society for handling money and transitioning of property for large scale transactions. Shit the police are a third party for barter transactions with craigslist even now because even when $20 is on the line, you might end up getting stabbed or held at gunpoint.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

There are even centralized-by-design cryptos now. Ripple is an example. If some hacker steals a ton of someone's XRP currency, the victim can just ask Ripple The Company to undo the transaction on their centrally controlled blockchain, and they can do it.

Yes, they reinvented banks inside of crypto currency and pretended it was new.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

If anything transaction processing with Crypto is 100 times worse. Its slow, unreliable and you have to rely on unregulated entities to do it

That's not really true. There are tons of laughable problems with various coins, but right now "send money; ok the money is there" is cheaper and faster than bank transfer or Paypal, and doesn't suffer from interference by payment processors. Whomst among us hasn't had a Paypal transaction locked for weeks on end, or at least a needless multi-day hold placed on a check?

Of course, this time in 2017(IIRC?) a BTC transaction cost several dollars and/or took hours, because of scaling issues with mining that took a long time to be resolved (partly by changes to BTC, partly by already-existing responsiveness in the protocol that adjusts mining difficulty based on participation in ways that I'm only vaguely familiar with).

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    BTW, if you guessed that this week's most absolutely cursed phrase would be "catholic church cryptocurrency", please come claim your prize

• Options

There are even centralized-by-design cryptos now. Ripple is an example. If some hacker steals a ton of someone's XRP currency, the victim can just ask Ripple The Company to undo the transaction on their centrally controlled blockchain, and they can do it.

Yes, they reinvented banks inside of crypto currency and pretended it was new.

TBF, Ripple was largely funded by Google and venture capitalists from the jump. It never had much to do with the lolbertarian side of crypto enthusiasts.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    BTW, if you guessed that this week's most absolutely cursed phrase would be "catholic church cryptocurrency", please come claim your prize

I feel like there needs to be a "gobsmacked" reaction button for this.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Years ago I read this book that says what happens when a man tries to serve both God and Mammon. Wonder if those guys have heard of it.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

I have a question - how frothy will the coin be?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Facebook has officially announced ZuckerBucks...er, Libra:
    Facebook and 27 other partner companies formally announced this morning they plan to launch a digital currency called Libra in the first half of 2020. And if they pull it off, Libra could become the standard digital currency around the world.

Facebook describes Libra as being “powered by blockchain,” though it’s not clear why the currency is going to use blockchain technology at all. Unlike cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, Libra will be backed by a reserve of real assets, it can’t be mined, there’s no cap on the number of Libra that can be produced, and it won’t be decentralized at launch.

This may be the most meaningless cryptocurrency ever.

Edit: There's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zw-jpVFKMY

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That just sounds like scrip fun bucks

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So, just good ol' company scrip, then.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, just good ol' company scrip, then.

Sounds more like trying to evade regulations and such with all the companies on borad with it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Facebook claims this will help with migrant remittances. How!?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Because migrants will be able to use their funds without having to worry about currency exchange or something is the likely excuse. "Safer than carrying cash!"

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Because migrants will be able to use their funds without having to worry about currency exchange or something is the likely excuse. "Safer than carrying cash!"

safer in some ways, but not in others

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    So it's basically paypal but with fewer places that will accept it as a form of payment.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

But cash is usually useable everywhere in a country while a cryptocurrency isn't. You still need to be able to cash it out at the end to compete with Western Union. The last mile stuff is the hardest part!

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    My favorite part of the announcement:
    “Blockchain and cryptocurrencies have a number of unique properties — they are decentralized, globally accessible, low cost, and safe."

Looking forward to this thing getting hacked in record time.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    I can't think of an idea that makes my skin crawl more than "it's like paypal but now facebook has your bank information."

like, my entire epidermis jumped two feet to the left after reading about this.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Ladai wrote: »
    I can't think of an idea that makes my skin crawl more than "it's like paypal but now facebook has your bank information."

So, what you're saying is that ZuckerBucks have left you beside yourself?

• Options
    edited June 2019

So, what you're saying is that ZuckerBucks have left you beside yourself?

"It promotes growth, and is very powerful."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I predict it immediately becomes a way to sell drugs and contraband, and a year from now Facebook will have to do a very “who could’ve foreseen this!” apology.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular

Additional detail of the project is that you can participate and run nodes(subject of approval). If you run nodes, you get access to the information. Companies have already committed to participating. It's a pretty ingenious move to push for acceptance and say your currency is "supported by X,Y,Z".

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I predict it immediately becomes a way to sell drugs and contraband, and a year from now Facebook will have to do a very “who could’ve foreseen this!” apology.

Naaah, It doesn't have any of the features that would make it suitable for that. There is no "crypto" in this. The word is there for marketing purposes, facebook-pay doesn't sound as sexy.

zeeny on
  • Options
    The funny part is Zuckerberg is like the poster child for the kind of nerd/"smart-guy" that would get sucked up in the crypto frenzy trying to make billions.

But the dude already has billions, what's the play here? Does he think this will actually make him more money than facebook does or something? If you want to make a paypal alternative just make a paypal alternative, dude.

• Options
    This continues the walled garden track. It's actually a very sharp play(from the company side) and technically savvy people should never skip an opportunity to explain to anyone considering using it how fucking terrible for the world it would be. No exceptions, it's a duty.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    zeeny wrote: »

Naaah, It doesn't have any of the features that would make it suitable for that. There is no "crypto" in this. The word is there for marketing purposes, facebook-pay doesn't sound as sexy.

Yeah, you don't want to buy drugs using a tool run by people who want to data mine all of your interpersonal relationships.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The funny part is Zuckerberg is like the poster child for the kind of nerd/"smart-guy" that would get sucked up in the crypto frenzy trying to make billions.

But the dude already has billions, what's the play here? Does he think this will actually make him more money than facebook does or something? If you want to make a paypal alternative just make a paypal alternative, dude.

Facebook's business model is monetizing information.

They already have the marketplace and targeted ads, now they want to really drill down on specific info on what we're actually interested in buying, when, where, etc.

So, all the data our credit card and banking institutions have, but without the pesky middle man/regulation of trying to get a firmer hold on the particulars.

That's just off the cuff. Maybe I'm wildly off base, but from their efforts to date, I would be shocked if part of the model wasn't trying to monetize us even further, and become an ever more pervasive part of our lives.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

Additional detail of the project is that you can participate and run nodes(subject of approval). If you run nodes, you get access to the information. Companies have already committed to participating. It's a pretty ingenious move to push for acceptance and say your currency is "supported by X,Y,Z".

This is horrifying. I don't want people to miss this little detail, because it is very not good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »

This is horrifying. I don't want people to miss this little detail, because it is very not good.

There is no part of this that is good, except for the actual customers "partners".

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Nah.
    It will immediately become a money laundering factory, where people will buy Zuckerbucks with other people's credit cards and then sell them to other people for a discount.

discrider on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Is there a source on entities running a node are granted access to transaction data? Or is it the logical conclusion of “the node lives on their infrastructure, of course they can access the information in it.”

Not that this is something I’m finding myself in favor of at all, but if there’s a red flag that big sitting in plain sight, I’m against it forever and ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is there a source on entities running a node are granted access to transaction data? Or is it the logical conclusion of “the node lives on their infrastructure, of course they can access the information in it.”

Not that this is something I’m finding myself in favor of at all, but if there’s a red flag that big sitting in plain sight, I’m against it forever and ever.

What do you mean by transactional? The nodes won't be storing any "private details" just the "public wallet addresses".

This discussion has been closed.