As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Larry Nassar, USA Gymnastics, and Michigan State : Sports Abuse Scandals

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wasn't there some college hoops program caught literally paying prostitutes to be hostesses? I want to say louiville

There wasn't much hostessing going on, but yeah Louisville basketball hired prostitutes for recruits and players straight up.

At least someone was getting paid market value for their physical skills.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    I mean this covers both this thread and the “fuck the motherfucking ncaa” thread, but there’s so much damn money involved because they don’t pay the athletes that this kind of gross shit is inevitable

And that's the heart of the matter - because of the NCAA's Byzantine (and in some ways illegal) regulations on recruiting and paying players, we wind up with a system that is fucked all the way down.

Nah, the issue is that y'all care so goddamn much about college sports that it just pours massive amounts of money and power into the industry, leading to endemic corruption because it's still not an actual sporting league business and so things like the lines of accountability and the responsibility and who is being exposed to this are blurred.

Well yes, because that's how the NCAA runs things. They want to be a sports league when it benefits them, and an academic organization when it benefits them, which has led to the entirely fucked up situation we have today. The problem really isn't the money itself - it's that it has to be kept all under the table.

It's how they operate because they are still a professional athletics league ungainly stapled onto a thing who's actual job is being an educational institution. These people are literally students too. The problem is all the attention which brings all the money to a situation that doesn't really make sense in the first place. There's like multiple ways in which this is ludicrous. It's a steady supply of children being trapped into unequal relationships without proper protection or representation all of which is then attached to these kids either getting an education or just going through the motions of getting an education in order to move on to what they actually want to do.

These school athletic programs we've seen have basically acted like funnels for putting children into the arms of abusers and abusive systems.

shryke on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I mean this covers both this thread and the “fuck the motherfucking ncaa” thread, but there’s so much damn money involved because they don’t pay the athletes that this kind of gross shit is inevitable

And that's the heart of the matter - because of the NCAA's Byzantine (and in some ways illegal) regulations on recruiting and paying players, we wind up with a system that is fucked all the way down.

Nah, the issue is that y'all care so goddamn much about college sports that it just pours massive amounts of money and power into the industry, leading to endemic corruption because it's still not an actual sporting league business and so things like the lines of accountability and the responsibility and who is being exposed to this are blurred.

... because "actual sporting leagues" do a better job?

Yes. Because there the relationship is at least open about the fact that it's someone with representation and the right to it negotiating a business contract with a separate entity.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dear OSU fans: what the everloving fuck?
    Probably no one in this story especially needs a rally of support on the OSU campus, and certainly not the guy collecting payments on a $6.4 million annual salary to sit at home and not do a job, while his employer tries to figure out whether he was apathetic about one of his assistants abusing and terrorizing someone. But sports fandom—all fandom, for that matter—is a fucking disease, and so here we are: some 250 deeply wacko Buckeyes fans gathered angrily outside Ohio Stadium Monday afternoon to chant and sing and wave signs in support of Meyer.

The number of people at this rally who, judging by their signs, seem to genuinely believe that OSU suspended Meyer on orders from ESPN brass is fairly distressing. It’s worth mentioning that the reporter who has broken virtually all of the Zach Smith story did so on Facebook, because he was fired by ESPN.

I have only one question - what the fuck is wrong with you all?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fan is short for fanatic, after all.... ugh.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I wqnted to make a joke about philly, but that mascot doesn't deserve this

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

I wqnted to make a joke about philly, but that mascot doesn't deserve this

All he's been guilty of is possession with intent to sell.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Probably no one in this story especially needs a rally of support on the OSU campus, and certainly not the guy collecting payments on a $6.4 million annual salary to sit at home and not do a job, while his employer tries to figure out whether he was apathetic about one of his assistants abusing and terrorizing someone. But sports fandom—all fandom, for that matter—is a fucking disease, and so here we are: some 250 deeply wacko Buckeyes fans gathered angrily outside Ohio Stadium Monday afternoon to chant and sing and wave signs in support of Meyer.

The number of people at this rally who, judging by their signs, seem to genuinely believe that OSU suspended Meyer on orders from ESPN brass is fairly distressing. It’s worth mentioning that the reporter who has broken virtually all of the Zach Smith story did so on Facebook, because he was fired by ESPN.

After Penn State this does not phase me at all. Totally expected from winning plus cult of personality sports institutions.

Considering this thread went into schools literally pimping their female students and hiring pristututes to recruit minor football players the whole system need to be burnt down and remade from scratch.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

The cherry on top of this shit sundae was of course someone ordered Papa Johns

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It’s not even football Season... it’s administrative leave

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The “logic” goes,

-Paul Finebaum hates Urban Meyer and shittalks him any chance he gets, for leaving the SEC
    -Paul Finebaum is the most prominent voice of the SEC
    -ESPN heavily promotes the SEC, and downplays the successes of other conferences (true or not, this is the narrative)
    -When the story broke, ESPN covered it
    -Therefore, aliens it’s a conspiracy against Urban Meyer, by ESPN, at the behest of the SEC

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The “logic” goes,

-Paul Finebaum hates Urban Meyer and shittalks him any chance he gets, for leaving the SEC
    -Paul Finebaum is the most prominent voice of the SEC
    -ESPN heavily promotes the SEC, and downplays the successes of other conferences (true or not, this is the narrative)
    -When the story broke, ESPN covered it
    -Therefore, aliens it’s a conspiracy against Urban Meyer, by ESPN, at the behest of the SEC

The hilarious thing is that ESPN literally fired the guy who broke this story and has him on a non-compete which is why he just put it on his Facebook page.

Anyway it's another symptom of the general war on the media.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I finally finished reading Missoula. That was rough. I kept looking up the public figures involved to see if any of them were held responsible for their actions.

Kirsten Pabst, a former ADA for Missoula County, came off as the villain of the books, as much as anyone in a nonfiction book can be the villain.

She had a habit of failing to file charges for rape if there was potential for any difficulty whatsoever with the case, and unilaterally deciding that several rape victims were “just disappointed with consensual encounters”.

Then at one point she quit her job to defend an accused rapist who just happened to be a star quarterback, and defended another star football player in his rape trial.

She’s now the fucking DA, and claims she has a record of fighting for victims.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular

This does not surprise me. OSU fandom around here is scary. Like, don't go anywhere near campus on game day scary. I'm actually surprised that number of 250 wasn't 2,500 at least. It's a bizarre fixation I can't understand.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Courtney Smith's lawyer has stated that Courtney Smith was never contacted by OSU during any investigation.
    While The Ohio State University has never contacted Ms. Smith to discuss these allegations, she will fully cooperate with the university’s current investigation.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED, by what OSU didn't do.
    No I'm not.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    mrondeau wrote: »

Well yes, because that's how the NCAA runs things. They want to be a sports league when it benefits them, and an academic organization when it benefits them, which has led to the entirely fucked up situation we have today. The problem really isn't the money itself - it's that it has to be kept all under the table.
    It's supposed to be a fucking university: a place to learn, not a place to play ball. Just do the reasonable things and stop watching games, stop having universities waste money on coaches and stadium, and stop having universities compromise their functions of teaching and research, and all the problems disappear.
    It's supposed to be a hobby for a few students. Like the anime club.

College athletics was fine as a subject of international fascination and world intrigue until the NCAA found a way to pervert it into the service money laundering and indenture. The solution is not to strip academies of a sacred institution that has​ educational merit, but to punish those who use school sports as a vehicle for profit or predation (redundant)

If you cry sportsball you're a silly goose. College athletics have existed for as long as there have been formal places of learning. Sport was a great way to get people involved in education. Besides, the most practical path to ending school sports as an all-consuming nightmare beast is to fairly divide the spoils. Do that and I guarantee the goddamned​vampires will not only lose interest, but be in a weaker position.

It's how they operate because they are still a professional athletics league ungainly stapled onto a thing who's actual job is being an educational institution. These people are literally students too. The problem is all the attention which brings all the money to a situation that doesn't really make sense in the first place. There's like multiple ways in which this is ludicrous. It's a steady supply of children being trapped into unequal relationships without proper protection or representation all of which is then attached to these kids either getting an education or just going through the motions of getting an education in order to move on to what they actually want to do.

These school athletic programs we've seen have basically acted like funnels for putting children into the arms of abusers and abusive systems.

Whenever people discuss the abuses of collegiate level sports they inevitably end up just describing college for profit.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

It's supposed to be a fucking university: a place to learn, not a place to play ball. Just do the reasonable things and stop watching games, stop having universities waste money on coaches and stadium, and stop having universities compromise their functions of teaching and research, and all the problems disappear.
    It's supposed to be a hobby for a few students. Like the anime club.

College athletics were perfectly fine as a subject of international fascination, and world intrigue until the NCAA found a way to pervert it into the service money laundering and indenture. The solution is not to strip academies of a sacred institution that has​ educational merit, but to enact a red terror and punish those who decided to take one of the social aspects of higher learning and abuse it in the name of profit.

If you cry sportsball you're a silly goose. College athletics have existed for as long as there have been formal learning institutions and we should really mandate physicals in order to get a degree because physical health is mental health.

You're just describing regular college at this point.

No, I'm not. Most obviously because it's an educational institution.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    College is a vehicle for the acquisition of authority and wealth at every level, from undergrad to administration. You're just describing colleges as they presently exist. Of course college sports are going to be milked for profit. The existence of colleges as educational bodies is interior to their new​purpose as businesses. Football and basketball are no different from textbooks, lecture circuit grifters, or financial instruments that pretend to be for the purpose of supporting the old alma mater.

At every level the function of colleges as a secular knowledge cult dedicated to the cultivation of knowledge is subordinate to profit, prestige, and earthly power. It is no wonder that a system that exists to extract and glorify is negligent in its duty of care-because it has no duty of care! Colleges have been a business since the seventies. This is just the fourth decade of bad business pretending to be public service.

• Options
    USC President Nikias formally resigns over the Tyndall fuckup.

Good riddance, Max.

• Options
    That only took what two months? Compared to Simon it's positively responsible.

• Options
    College is a vehicle for the acquisition of authority and wealth at every level, from undergrad to administration. You're just describing colleges as they presently exist. Of course college sports are going to be milked for profit. The existence of colleges as educational bodies is interior to their new​purpose as businesses. Football and basketball are no different from textbooks, lecture circuit grifters, or financial instruments that pretend to be for the purpose of supporting the old alma mater.

At every level the function of colleges as a secular knowledge cult dedicated to the cultivation of knowledge is subordinate to profit, prestige, and earthly power. It is no wonder that a system that exists to extract and glorify is negligent in its duty of care-because it has no duty of care! Colleges have been a business since the seventies. This is just the fourth decade of bad business pretending to be public service.

Uh huh.

You know a ton of post-secondary educational institutions get along just fine without a sports cult attached to them, right?

• Options

Uh huh.

You know a ton of post-secondary educational institutions get along just fine without a sports cult attached to them, right?

I can only think of one major university in the US that doesn't have a significant athletic presence - the University of Chicago.

• Options

Uh huh.

I can only think of one major university in the US that doesn't have a significant athletic presence - the University of Chicago.

Expand your horizons dude. There are universities beyond the US.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    edit: nm!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular

Carnegie Mellon, CalTech, MIT ...

Rutgers.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »

Rutgers.

Emory football, still undefeated.

• Options

Rutgers.

MIT are the Engineers, they compete in D3. Cal Tech are the Beavers also D3 and fencing is the lead on their athletics page, Carnegie Mellon are the Tartans also in D3.

You're right though that Rutgers has no competitive athletics.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Are we calling d3 a significant athletic presence?

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »

Depends on the school, to be honest.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Isn't Rutgers a big Crew school?

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »

No, we're calling Rutgers Athletics a massive horse's ass.

• Options

It's not a Big Ten school, that's for sure.

• Options
    edited August 2018

I honestly don't know. I do know that Rutgers suuuuuuuucks at everything they compete in in the Big Ten. Especially the two most prominent sports. Michigan stopped trying in the middle of the third quarter two years ago and won 78-0. We were handing the ball off to like fourth string fullbacks. And still scoring.

It was the biggest recruiting weekend in Rutgers football history.

I think the aggregate score of Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and Ohio State against Rutgers that season was like 238-0.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018

Rutgers.

MIT are the Engineers, they compete in D3. Cal Tech are the Beavers also D3 and fencing is the lead on their athletics page, Carnegie Mellon are the Tartans also in D3.

You're right though that Rutgers has no competitive athletics.

University of Chicago also competes in D3. When I was a student there the football games had significantly lower attendance than a typical game for my high school's football team, even when playing against a local school (like Benedictine University or similar).

I wouldn't ever call their athletic programs significant though. Not in any way except historically (they were one of the founding members of the Big Ten, and the first winner of the Heisman played for U of C).

edit: They also don't need athletics money, so I doubt you'd ever see the return of significant athletics to the U of C. I was talking with someone recently who works in finance there, and he was saying that ever since Obama was elected they get an absurd number of random donations from people with no connection to the university whatsoever. It's allowed them to provide far more financial aid to students now than they did when I was a student. Heck, they guarantee free tuition for families with incomes under $125,000/year, and also cover fees and room & board for families earning less than $60,000/year.

Ketar on
  • Options
    More info about the protection order and the abuse that Courtney Smith endures.

This guy is messed up. He's tracked the kids/her using iPads, takes pictures from a distance, used a phone under her car seat to listen in, hacked email, hacked wifi, used a webcam, and sexually assaulted her.

The Powell PD is in defensive mode and won't release any of their past reports because:
    You might find out who the stalker is as he's been uncharged.

Not because of their shoddy work.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    In good news, convicted rapist Brock Turner lost his ridiculous appeal of his conviction. His argument was that he only engaged in “sexual outercourse.”

The court rejected the claim, saying it lacked merit.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    In good news, convicted rapist Brock Turner lost his ridiculous appeal of his conviction. His argument was that he only engaged in “sexual outercourse.”

The court rejected the claim, saying it lacked merit.

I'm an attorney in a less than a popular job, so I get having to make arguments that piss people off.

But sometimes, you have to consider your self-respect.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Hasn't he already served his 3 weeks or whatever negligible sentence it was?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Firstly that’s a ridiculous appeal for all the obvious reasons.

But secondly it’s also semantically wrong since inter doesn’t mean inside, intra does. Inter means between or among. So whatever lawyer picked up on pushing that appeal is not only ethically weak, but also fucking stupid.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Hasn't he already served his 3 weeks or whatever negligible sentence it was?

He didn't want to be on the sexual offender list. So that's why he wanted it overturned.