Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Larry Nassar, USA Gymnastics, and Michigan State : Sports Abuse Scandals

1242526272830»

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Still gets his $425k contract salary for two more years unfortunately.

Even Lou Ann Simon was getting paid as MSU President until she got charged with crimes in November. The lack of financial consequences for these people really bothers me. It shines a light on an unspoken safety net that people in the executive class get that nobody else really gets.

lwt1973BullheadMoridin889V1m
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The problem with leadership in gymnastics has gone global:
    Liubou Charkashyna, the president of the International Gymnastics Federation’s athletes’ commission—which was created to represent gymnasts’ interests—used a recent interview with Belarussian media to express skepticism about the frequency of abuse in sports and victims’ motives.

While acknowledging that sex abuse is a problem and saying that her “heart froze” while listening to testimony of an athlete abused by her coach, Charkashyna spent more time casting doubt on victims.
    “I admit it’s possible to believe that yes, there are such cases in the sports, but not the amount of specifically the sports cases that have been thrown at us… as an opportunity to earn money on that or [get revenge] for the old insults, to shame the names of the coaches or someone else… Because, well, this is America, they know how to make money, you need to understand this.”

And people wonder why the sport is rife with abuse.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    V1mElvenshaeMartini_PhilosopherSorce
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The terrifying thing is that it feels like the US is comparatively progressive on issues like these a lot of the time.

Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    Martini_PhilosopherFencingsaxJaysonFourLabelPreacherMatevProhass
    Denhollander has a memoir coming out in the fall. Titled "How Much Is a Girl Worth?", somewhat unsurprisingly.

Warren 2020
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    The new president of MSU just published the sexual assault victim magazine that Engler killed.
    In a meeting, according to sources, Engler walked in and told a team planning an event: "Get that teal shit out of here.”

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2019/04/01/michigan-state-university-alumni-magazine-larry-nassar-john-engler/3329648002/

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    ShadowfireMartini_PhilosopherAngelHedgieBlackDragon480BullheadMatevElvenshaeJaysonFourTNTrooperwandering
    Hey it's MSU again. A woman who is suing the university alleging it protected three basketball players who raped her is no longer a Jane Doe. This incident was four years ago, after their Final Four loss.

Tom Izzo should be fired, still.

Warren 2020
    JaysonFourMagell
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 16
    The Lansing State Journal is livestreaming former MSU President Simon's court hearing for lying to law enforcement:
    Witnesses will testify Tuesday in the Michigan Attorney General's felony case against former Michigan State University President Lou Anna Simon, who is accused of lying to police during their investigation into how MSU handled Larry Nassar.

Edit: MSU would really like Engler to sit for an interview with the MI AG:
    In an April 9 letter to Engler, Byrum said, "We cannot emphasize enough how important this interview is in our continued cooperation with the Attorney General’s Office and our desire to wrap up the investigation."

"When you came to the university early last year, you pledged your cooperation with then-lead investigator William Forsyth," Byrum wrote. "In your Feb. 5, 2018, letter to Forsyth, you said, 'In all matters, including the various pending investigations, my policy will be that of full cooperation. ... Spartan nation needs the full truth, and I, as Interim President, assure you we will all fully cooperate in your investigation.'"

They also would really like him to not attend Spartan sporting events. Of course, Engler has said no to both.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Can’t they just ban him from the sporting events?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The Lansing State Journal is livestreaming former MSU President Simon's court hearing for lying to law enforcement:
    Witnesses will testify Tuesday in the Michigan Attorney General's felony case against former Michigan State University President Lou Anna Simon, who is accused of lying to police during their investigation into how MSU handled Larry Nassar.

Edit: MSU would really like Engler to sit for an interview with the MI AG:
    In an April 9 letter to Engler, Byrum said, "We cannot emphasize enough how important this interview is in our continued cooperation with the Attorney General’s Office and our desire to wrap up the investigation."

"When you came to the university early last year, you pledged your cooperation with then-lead investigator William Forsyth," Byrum wrote. "In your Feb. 5, 2018, letter to Forsyth, you said, 'In all matters, including the various pending investigations, my policy will be that of full cooperation. ... Spartan nation needs the full truth, and I, as Interim President, assure you we will all fully cooperate in your investigation.'"

They also would really like him to not attend Spartan sporting events. Of course, Engler has said no to both.

I'm OK with that. We already know that Engler is a horrible person, so now we get to see if MSU and the AG will step up on this.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Can’t they just ban him from the sporting events?

I think that would require security to not be shitheads about it, as well as the individual team coaches. The former is easily controlled but the latter is not as easy.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.