As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NFL] officially blows ass.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think there's any way in hell Alex Smith makes Washington a better team.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I don't think there's any way in hell Alex Smith makes Washington a better team.

True, but I think they made the move so that they stayed relatively even when they let go of Captain Kirk.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Smith and the Redskins have already agreed to a 4-year extension.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, Smith is only a slight downgrade from Cousins at worst, albeit 4 years older. I'll be really curious to see the numbers on that extension. And so will Cousins' agent.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, the Redskins are giving Alex Smith $71 million guaranteed. Good luck fellas!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Smith got 4 years, $94 million from the Redskins, $71 million guaranteed.

Kirk is gonna get fucking paaaaaaiiiiid

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I was about to ask why the hell Alex Smith would go to Washington, and I guess I got my answer.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I feel way better about Alex Smith on that price tag than I do about Cousins on whatever ludicrous deal he's going to come away with. Neither of them is likely to win you anything more than a wild card game without an awesome roster around them, and Washington will have more cap space to work with to build one. They'll screw it up, of course, because they ran their only half-decent talent evaluator out of town, but it works in theory.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    I mean, if they would've signed Cousins a year or two ago they probably could've gotten him for a similar price as they just paid for Smith, and Cousins is better and younger.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    That's a ridiculous amount, but I would not be able to make the argument that Cousins is "better'.

Maximum on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Alex Smith is better in a good offense. The redskins did not have that last year. I'd take him over cousins for sure though.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    It's not just $94M, but that $71M of it is guaranteed. Depending on the wording on the guarantees, this is a committment to Smith for the full four seasons. He'll be 38 at the end of it.

(Unless the salary cap is going to go up by a LOT in the next four years, which it might. In which case, it could turn out to be cheaper than it looks if the QB market resets itself a couple times in the next four years.)

• Options
    Football outsiders has Cousins ranked better in the previous 3 years. This year Smith was better, but his team's offense was also way better than Washington's.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    It's not just $94M, but that $71M of it is guaranteed. Depending on the wording on the guarantees, this is a committment to Smith for the full four seasons. He'll be 38 at the end of it.

Per Schefter it's 5 and he'll be 39 at the end of it. Had one year left on his old deal, the extension adds four

Cousins is a free agent today

Browns lost on getting Smith

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Alex Smith dodges a bullet but runs into a bus

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Alex Smith dodges a bullet but runs into a bus

If you knew you wouldn’t die, would you get hit by a bus for 71-94 million dollars?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I disagree Washington has had a bad offense - they were just injury ravaged

Jordan reed, Jamison crowder, chris Thompson, a solid o line, Vernon Davis, doctson, rob Kelley (and they had Pryor)

There WAS talent, before injuries - you can see it in cousins' month by month decline this year

KC, obviously, has more though

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    I don't think Washington has a bad offense, I just think they have an offense more suited to a big armed gunslinger type QB instead of a game manager like Smith.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Man, I wanted Alex Smith to go to a team I could root for.

I don't follow the Redskins but at a glance Kendall Fuller seems like a baller and the dude is only 22. Plus we got a 3rd round pick? Seems like a great trade.

This is pretty funny. Kendall Fuller was on twitter last night when Schefter announced the trade.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I disagree Washington has had a bad offense - they were just injury ravaged

Jordan reed, Jamison crowder, chris Thompson, a solid o line, Vernon Davis, doctson, rob Kelley (and they had Pryor)

There WAS talent, before injuries - you can see it in cousins' month by month decline this year

KC, obviously, has more though

They were just outside the bottom 10 of the league, 22nd in the league to be exact, per Football Outsiders (largely due to having the 28th ranked rushing offense), vs KC which was ranked 7th.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

Goose! on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i'm curious where Cousins will go now

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    i'm curious where Cousins will go now

Cleveland

• Options
    i didn't know you hated kirk cousins

• Options
    i didn't know you hated kirk cousins

I'm not a fan

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    He's a free agent right? No way he signs with Cleveland.

I'd guess Denver.

Maybe Jacksonville.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Jacksonville has said they're going with Bortles for the future.

Denver makes a lot of sense though.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    i mean, blake bortles was almost a superbowl quarterback, you'd be crazy to get rid of elite qb blake bortles

• Options
    FOX just paid $550 million for the broadcast rights to Thursday Night Football.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    http://www.philly.com/philly/super-bowl-lii/super-bowl-52-patriots-aaron-hernandez-tragedy-20180130.html

Difficult to say, but I think this might be the single worst take of all time

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    http://www.philly.com/philly/super-bowl-lii/super-bowl-52-patriots-aaron-hernandez-tragedy-20180130.html

Difficult to say, but I think this might be the single worst take of all time

Reading this made me dumber, I think.

I get that everyone hates the Pats but jesus this is ridiculous.

• Options
    I read the headline and closed it

• Options
    mcp wrote: »
    He's a free agent right? No way he signs with Cleveland.

I'd guess Denver.

Maybe Jacksonville.
    Jacksonville has stayed they're going with Bortles for the future.

Denver makes a lot of sense though.

Don't put this evil on us Ricky Bobby!

Signing Kirk Cousins to a mega-deal would destroy the franchise for at least the next five years.

He's not that good! I mean, he's an improvement, but not a SUPER BOWL improvement. He's an 8-8 "improvement".

And the worse thing for a team is a half a decade of 7-9 and 10-6 and first and second round playoff exits.

Take a shot at a potential franchise qb, let this defense that has obviously peaked trickle out and go, and re-build through the draft and free agency.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Cousins is probably going to Denver

• Options
    I think Alex Smith makes more sense in Denver. They have a world class defense. They just need a QB who won't throw the game away

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    KC didn't want to trade him in conference though.

Denver is already in cap hell, aren't they? I don't know how they legitimize paying Cousins 30 million, or whatever. If it's money that he wants, Cleveland it will be.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    i mean, blake bortles was almost a superbowl quarterback, you'd be crazy to get rid of elite qb blake bortles

I mean, you say this, but Nick Foles IS a Super Bowl quarterback and he's right there.

What a time to be alive.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    I will always believe in Bortles

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Cousins should go to the jets

• Options
    I don't think I'll ever adjust to Alex Smith in Washington. It's such a weird fit.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Maximum wrote: »
    KC didn't want to trade him in conference though.

Denver is already in cap hell, aren't they? I don't know how they legitimize paying Cousins 30 million, or whatever. If it's money that he wants, Cleveland it will be.

I'm pretty sure everyone important is under contract and Denver has JUST ENOUGH to make him a big offer.

But that would indeed put us in cap hell. Which raises all sorts of problems for the next three or four years.

Talib's gonna be gone soonish, but Roby's gonna get a big number to replace him and Von will eventually be the highest paid linbacker in the league. With an albatross contract for Captain Kirk that's gonna be like, 50% of our salary cap space right there.

And an average QB who will kill you with crucial picks occasionally is NOT WORTH THAT MUCH.

Especially when you have a 1 in 5 shot of hitting the QB lottery this year by getting a franchise guy on the best contract in football, the rookie deal, with rhe worst case scenario being we get MORE SHOTS AT FRANCHISE GUYS.

I know the big issue here though is Von, who's not gonna be happy playing for a loser, but, I mean, we've already seen the best of Von Miller. It's amazing, fantastic, borderline MVP level, but he's not going to get any better. Unloading him for assets in the next two years is undeniably the right choice.

Pinning the entire franchise on a mediocre qb and a linebacker who's not gonna be happy with anything less than a Super Bowl apoerance is the wrong move.

Transporter on
This discussion has been closed.