As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I have taken half an hour to explain Coup before, but only to my mum. Everyone else gets it quite quickly after one round.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I have taken half an hour to explain Coup before, but only to my mum. Everyone else gets it quite quickly after one round.

Yeah I had a similar scenario when a friend basically decided it was "complicated" and just started making distressed sounds while I explained

He loves playing "I'm the Duke" now but there was a real hurdle to get over

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I mean, Coup isn't the simplest game to ever exist, but it is one of those games where it's quicker to just play a practice game than to sit there explaining everything beyond the very basic overview.

Nobody at the table was unsure though. The guy just insisted on drawing out the explanation with every possible play, exception, and strategy rather than just let people see for themselves.

MrBody on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'll check out the SU & SD review before deciding and talking to the folks I'd be playing with, but thanks for the opinions!

I might just go with Pandemic Legacy instead.

Pandemic Legacy is the current gold standard for legacy games, can’t really go wrong with it.

The irony of this statement is that I think Risk Legacy was still the best one. But I just have to be different. :P

I mean I like Pandemic Legacy 2 more than one, but, in terms of general consensus Season 1 is regarded as "the best."

Season 2 is a better Legacy game, but Season 1 is a better Pandemic game.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have a friend like that when it comes to explaining games. He’s a nice guy so I mostly tolerate it, but in general, having actual teaching experience professionally, I just try to make sure I teach games whenever possible instead.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Season 2 is a better Legacy game, but Season 1 is a better Pandemic game.

Season 2 is the better experience, but I have no desire to play it ever again. With Season 1, I would join a different group and play through it with no hesitation. I am hoping Season 3 takes place on a different planet or something so the Legacy experience is even more engaging. It would be cool if the board was 2 sided and you could buy a refill package where the stickers were altered to create a very different map (same cities because of cards, but in different places).

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I bought Taj Mahal because I have a Knizia problem. It looks real good though! Hoping to get it on time to play this weekend, but we'll see.

Taj Mahal is fantastic. It's one of my favourite Knizias, actually.

Yea I saw a lot of people say this, and it's one of his last big games that's still OOP so naturally it held some appeal there too heh. The card play kinda reminds me of Blue Moon, which i looooooove but have yet to find a partner to really get deep into with yet.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    I bought Taj Mahal because I have a Knizia problem. It looks real good though! Hoping to get it on time to play this weekend, but we'll see.

Taj Mahal is fantastic. It's one of my favourite Knizias, actually.

Yea I saw a lot of people say this, and it's one of his last big games that's still OOP so naturally it held some appeal there too heh. The card play kinda reminds me of Blue Moon, which i looooooove but have yet to find a partner to really get deep into with yet.

It's oop? I should sell mine, it never gets played.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    It's OOP but it doesn't seem to command any kind of premium. I grabbed it for $30 with a minimum of effort, probably could have found it for less if I had looked and for a bit.

Edit: also you should play it! ;)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    How'd that Fallout game turn out? Gamestop had a board game sale last week and I got it for $30. Was thinking just as math trade fodder but if it's pretty boss...

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular

The only Knizia problem I have is that I don't have enough Knizia games

On that note, I own and love Ra and Tigris & Euphrates and Blue Moon Legends. Couple smaller card games, too. If I want another "crunchy" Knizia, which should be my next one? Samurai, Through the Desert, Taj Mahal, something else? (And whoa, there's a new one? El Dorado?)

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »

On that note, I own and love Ra and Tigris & Euphrates and Blue Moon Legends. Couple smaller card games, too. If I want another "crunchy" Knizia, which should be my next one? Samurai, Through the Desert, Taj Mahal, something else? (And whoa, there's a new one? El Dorado?)

Grail Games has been putting out some new Knizia games, as well as re-printing older ones with some funding through Kickstarter. They have a new edition of Stephenson's Rocket due out in the middle of this year. I've never played it, but it looks interesting.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

I recommend LOTR: The Confrontation!

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »

And lo, Knizia's all seeing gaze fell upon Stratego.
    And Knizia said "How about Stratego but not shit?"
    And thus was LOTR: The Confrontation.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    How'd that Fallout game turn out? Gamestop had a board game sale last week and I got it for $30. Was thinking just as math trade fodder but if it's pretty boss...

We like it! There's some scoring issues that bother some people more than others, we don't mind it as-is but it's easily house ruleable. I think the problem is you can in theory win the game before even starting if you get the right combination of scoring cards, or something along those lines. But the core gameplay is fun and catches the feel of the video game well.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hardback is lots of fun but while the box is cute it's already annoying

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Because of the fact it doesn't fit the meepleish pieces very well?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Is there a term for "guy who is terrible at explaining rules yet insists on always being the one to explain them" ? The guy who starts explaining at the totally wrong spots with very specific fiddly stuff rather than a broad overview?

You can tell everyone listening is completely lost. He answers every single question with "I'm going to get to that", doesn't get to it until over 10 minutes later, and it's something that could have been answered quickly when the question was first asked. He always drowns out points with endless listings of every possible exception before he's even done explaining the basic thing. He'll start talking about stats and numbers without even saying what they do or mean. He might even spend more time talking about the LORE than the rules.

But the worst part of all is that you dare not step in and clarify a point because it's going to derail his entire train of thought and make him start over, or start arguing with you with "well that isn't always the case" (yeah, but it is 95% of the time and for the sake of beginners learning can't we just assume and move on?). At worst he's going to take personal offense that someone is suggesting that his explanation needs help.

I thought the record was one time when someone took 25 minutes to explain King of Tokyo (he insisted on going through every single power card in the deck and explaining it rather than just trusting people to read what's on the card when it came up), but I think that was just shattered when I saw someone take just a little over half an hour to explain Coup.

"Worse than Hitler" or "The Devourer of Joy" come to mind?

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »

And lo, Knizia's all seeing gaze fell upon Stratego.
    And Knizia said "How about Stratego but not shit?"
    And thus was LOTR: The Confrontation.

Hm, that looks interesting. I liked the idea of Stratego in my youth (though the implementation was often frustrating). What about for more than 2 players?

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Played Rising Sun for the first time last night, we kept the ruleset to the core game and the "Archway" season deck. Really strong first impression. It's *really* tight. There are only 21 actions for the entire game, and everything swings on the difference of one or two troops, one or two coins. It's much less swingy and chaotic than Blood Rage. The negotiation/diplomacy side of things feels underbaked at first, but it led to some surprising moments because alliances are only ever of convenience - and you find yourself brokering better deals with your non-allies very often.

The three players in contention for the top seemed to be employing completely different strategies, and it was close! I was going more card heavy with a bunch of VPs triggering off various events, another player went strong into Imperial Poets, sending just one Bushi into a lot of battles, and another went full on aggression to a set of 7 province tiles.

Really impressed by balance of strategies and clans (albeit after one game). There is an element that can seem unfairly punishing (but should be rare) where an ally and I were relying on one of two actions, but neither came up on her or my turn. In a deck of 10 cards, drawing five of them, all four we needed were in the bottom half of the deck, which completly botched our setup for the season. So that's frustrating, but like I said, extremely unlikely (and makes the Lotus clan's power seem that much better).

Looking forward to the next game. In all I like this a lot more than Blood Rage after that first game.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm running a tourney tomorrow - anyone have like patterns for triangular table standees that show which table/seat someone is at? It's a stupid/minor thing, but I'd like something upscale and I have some nice cardstock.

Edit: What I mean is the table markers you can see in this page, marked as "1" and "3"

netrunner.png

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Suggestion, print it so they stand on end. The higher standing sign will be more easily seen. Might knock over more easily, but probably worth it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Also, maybe something on the ends of the table that show what tables are actually in that row?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Whelp.

When you can't find something, make something.

rSm2CvZh.jpg

I'm setting the bar way too high for my players' expectations.

jtRTjcZh.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Samurai and Medici are SO GOOD. big second for LOTR The Confrontation if you want a great 2p game also. TTD I've only played once and it was quite fun, but Ive only played it once so yknow. I really need to try Modern Art I think. Also I've heard Amun Re is cool? Never played it.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    @Athenor holy shit, those standees look gorgeous!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Those standees are incredibly pretty, but I do not understand what's going on with the arrows. I suspect in practice those are not going to work that well, because as soon as they get jostled, they'll be pointing the wrong way.

Fry on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Because of the fact it doesn't fit the meepleish pieces very well?
    I opened it, didn't unpack the contents and was unable to close it without chewing up the manual slightly

Even once unpacked and only using one of the blocks of foam you have to roll it around while you slide the lid down to get things out of the way of the step in the lid

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Fry wrote: »
    Those standees are incredibly pretty, but I do not understand what's going on with the arrows. I suspect in practice those are not going to work that well, because as soon as they get jostled, they'll be pointing the wrong way.

They'll be taped/weighted to the edge of the table. The idea is that the flat edge (center) will be parallel with the short edge of the table. So the far table pair points up or to the side, and the near table points down.
    ---------
    |> 1  2 |
    ---------

Edit: Didn't really need them, as there were 7 players. But still, felt good!

Athenor on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Oh yeah, if you love Ra get Medici for a radically different Knizia take on the pure bidding genre.

A truly excellent game.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I am expecting 6 KS games by April. Oops.

e: Maybe I should list them off... Turing Tumble, Founders of Gloomhaven, Mint Delivery, 7th Continent, STEM: Epic Heroes, and Ravine.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    1846 was... Kinda alright? It was way too damn long, and I feel like the interesting bits could be had in pretty similar form from a significantly shorter game. I felt similarly to how I did after playing TI4, which is that it had a bunch of interesting stuff in it but not enough for me to want to play it for so long. My brain just cashes out after so many hours. And that's a short newbie friendly 18xx game, so... I dunno about the genre on the whole. I'd play it again maybe at 3p instead of 5, but I wouldn't really run to try it again immediately y'know.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    To pitch in to the quarterbacking discussion, I think it is a symptom of a game where the best option is too obvious. In Pandemic the tension between healing to not lose and curing to win doesn't come up that often. But I am sitting here in a 7 player game of Captain is Dead and while I am contributing on some turns there is no way I can figure out every optimal turn.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    1846 was... Kinda alright? It was way too damn long, and I feel like the interesting bits could be had in pretty similar form from a significantly shorter game. I felt similarly to how I did after playing TI4, which is that it had a bunch of interesting stuff in it but not enough for me to want to play it for so long. My brain just cashes out after so many hours. And that's a short newbie friendly 18xx game, so... I dunno about the genre on the whole. I'd play it again maybe at 3p instead of 5, but I wouldn't really run to try it again immediately y'know.

I haven't played 46 but every time I've played a game that attempted to be a streamlined or more newbie friendly 18xx they have been utter shit. Mostly because (in the words of a game designer friend of mine) they try to make it easier by taking the knives out of the game. But without the knives, once one player is .01% in the lead they are pretty much guaranteed to eventually win unless they majorly fuck up.

EG: 2038: Tycoons of the Asteroid Belt or Poseidon or that oddball one in mythological egypt.

I think the most newbie-friendly but still good (with all the caveats for the genre as a whole such as being way to fucking long) is 1870. Mostly because that one has the best balance of the starting companies. They all can be great game-winners or crash and burn depending on play. It's not like 1856 or some others where you need to know that some companies are flat out better than others (so gang up on whoever has em) and some are traps.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Everything I've seen is that 46 is supposed to be both a good intro 18xx, and also just a good 18xx. It's supposed to be 2.5-3 hours once people know what they're doing, which would be much more palatable. There's potential interesting stuff. But I'm not sure if I'm enticed enough to put in the plays to get there at this point, and thinking about what would be involved in good play im not sure if I care that much about the endgame of getting better honestly.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Everything I've seen is that 46 is supposed to be both a good intro 18xx, and also just a good 18xx. It's supposed to be 2.5-3 hours once people know what they're doing, which would be much more palatable. There's potential interesting stuff. But I'm not sure if I'm enticed enough to put in the plays to get there at this point, and thinking about what would be involved in good play im not sure if I care that much about the endgame of getting better honestly.

I've never played an 18xx that lasted less than 4 hours even if every player knew their shit. 2.5 seems crazy.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I'm probably never going to enjoy a game like that without direct free for all military. The tension between my goals, wanting to hurt those who have hurt me, and wanting to stop others from hurting met more is the most important part of TI for me.

Well, I dunno, Tammany Hall gets close without military mechanics. Something very direct, anyway.

sig.gif
  • Options
    18xx has tons of direct and indirect destructive and constructive interaction. The entire thing is a huge mess of player interaction, on the board and the in the stock market. That's kinda the whole thing about them as a genre, is my understanding.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Oy. You know you're in trouble in GLOOMHAVEN when you draw a Monster activity card and it has a paragraph of text on it...

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    18xx has tons of direct and indirect destructive and constructive interaction. The entire thing is a huge mess of player interaction, on the board and the in the stock market. That's kinda the whole thing about them as a genre, is my understanding.

Yeah I dunno we've covered at length the many problems with how I was introduced to the genre

In whatever one I played there didn't seem to be any directly destructive actions in the whole game. The closest would be buying a train to rust other trains if the guy you want to mess with has old ones.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.