As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Strategicon Report so Far:

Friday: Played: Arcadia Quest: 4 player mixed PVE/PVP dungeon crawler with chibi minis that was cute but pretty mindless, a time waster at best, imo.

Sails of Glory: Still like the only naval game I love, still an absolute joy to play as everything starts off so strong and devolves into madness as you play. I rammed my ship, the flagship of our line, into the enemy flagship, and engaged in a daring boarding action. Which would have gone great if my own ship controlled by another player didn't ram me, creating a breach in my hull. Still, I was a single draw away from managing to board the enemy ship and fully take them over before my ship sank.

Cthulu Wars: This was really fun. It's like Chaos in the Old World but maybe... better? There is one huge downside, rather literally. The minis are huge. They are pretty, but they add very little of value to the game to me and only serve to make the box impractically large and make the game overly expensive.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Thunderstone Quest arrived last night.

It is perhaps the single largest, most impractical game box I now own; its competition are the boxes for Descent 1E, Mage Wars (the original one, not Arena), and Wrath of Ashardalon. The difference is that I no longer actively play any of those games.

The boxed-up game is about 17 pounds, and based on a comparison photo I found on BGG, the box is almost the same size as the Gloomhaven box (the Gloomhaven box is rectangular if you look from above, and the Thunderstone one is square).

I'm mildly annoyed by this, because there's no way I'll be able to bring this out to a game night, and there's no convenient tuck-box for a setup-for-a-single-game subset of the components.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

It is perhaps the single largest, most impractical game box I now own; its competition are the boxes for Descent 1E, Mage Wars (the original one, not Arena), and Wrath of Ashardalon. The difference is that I no longer actively play any of those games.

The boxed-up game is about 17 pounds, and based on a comparison photo I found on BGG, the box is almost the same size as the Gloomhaven box (the Gloomhaven box is rectangular if you look from above, and the Thunderstone one is square).

I'm mildly annoyed by this, because there's no way I'll be able to bring this out to a game night, and there's no convenient tuck-box for a setup-for-a-single-game subset of the components.

Jesus. Did you go all in?

I just got the base and it hasn't showed up yet. I expected it to be the same, standard size like OG and Advance.

• Options
    Oh dear gods help me.

I just found the late backer kickstarter page for Tripods and Triplanes, a game that combines Wings of Glory WWI dogfighting combat and has it be against the Tripods from War of the Worlds.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnggghhhh.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Jesus. Did you go all in?
    Yes, of course. What am I gonna do, spend a lot of money instead of spending all the money? Come, now.
    I just got the base and it hasn't showed up yet. I expected it to be the same, standard size like OG and Advance.
    Yeah, that's probably the smart play. The box I got has a section on top with two little ribbon handles on top; this section holds the rulebook + questbook, the individual player boards, the map/town, the tiles that you place on the map, the wooden tokens, the plastic heroes, all that junk. When you lift that section out, underneath it are 4 side-by-side white cardboard long-boxes to hold cards. Two of them are filled in, two are empty; I guess they're making space for future expansions.

I think I can set up a pretty good daily exercise routine using just this box.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I really appreciate the huge minis in Cthulhu Wars, but it would probably be better if they were all 50% of their current size.

I have a bunch of expansions and I don't have a car, so it's... impossible to transport all of it without calling a friend or an Uber.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh dear gods help me.

I just found the late backer kickstarter page for Tripods and Triplanes, a game that combines Wings of Glory WWI dogfighting combat and has it be against the Tripods from War of the Worlds.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnggghhhh.

You must report back.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Gah, the tracking number on Thunderstone reminded me how much I hate FedEx. It’s literally sitting in a location like a 15 minute drive down the road, but due to a quirk in distribution to actually get to me it’ll have to travel a couple of hours away out of state again before it gets delivered.... eventually on Thursday?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Friday: Played: Arcadia Quest: 4 player mixed PVE/PVP dungeon crawler with chibi minis that was cute but pretty mindless, a time waster at best, imo.

Nah, AQ is an amazingly deep game with a ton of strategy that can change on a dime. It's ridiculously good.

• Options
    Oh dear gods help me.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnggghhhh.

That developer is REALLY good too.

• Options
    I really appreciate the huge minis in Cthulhu Wars, but it would probably be better if they were all 50% of their current size.

I have a bunch of expansions and I don't have a car, so it's... impossible to transport all of it without calling a friend or an Uber.

I've fit all of the main game + faction expansions in one box. You don't need all the independent goos and monsters and maps unless you've decided to use a particular kind

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Post minicon/gameday report:

Games played:

Deception Murder In Hong Kong: quite a good social deduction game, played with like 11 people which made it pretty zany. I think generally I've reached my social deduction limit as far as new games but this was a good one.

Adventureland: a really fun fantasy themed spatial puzzle race sort of game from Haba with some dice combat. There's a grid and you flip cards to determine where things come out (monsters to fight, treasure etc) and then you can move one of your 8 guys as far right or down as you want. But your dudes can never move up or left, so once you jump out to something youre stuck out there. Not sure if that makes sense, but everyone really enjoyed this one.

Kerala Way Of The Elephant: a fun light tile laying game. You take a tile and place or adjacent to one of your elephants, then move the elephant onto that tile. At the end you lose points if you have more than one tile group of each color, or if you don't have a group of a color. You also score points printed on the tiles. Enjoyable and pretty, but didn't blow minds. We won a copy of it though so that's cool :)

Can't Stop Express: it's like Can't Stop but everyone plays simultaneously and it's faster. Also everyone scores on their own paper instead of jockeying for position on a central board, and also there's not really a push your luck element now? A pretty fun quick roll and write game but I'd rather just play Can't Stop.

Rhino Hero Super Battle: build a huge shaky house of cards and try to be the farthest up on it when it falls over. Very silly, very fun. I kinda want to buy this game.

I mean look at this nonsense!

img_20171114_122145_6761.jpg

Played a few more not particularly noteworthy smaller games, and also a bunch of rounds of Insider which I just love to bits.

Also I sold $200 worth of boardgames at the flea market so that's cool.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Game club today at the Compleat Strategist in Manhattan:

- SECRET HITLER, 3 games. Liberals won 2, Fascists won one with me as Hitler. First time I've played Hitler. Yay ?

- LOVECRAFT LETTERS, 4 games. Great game, one of my favorites from the past couple of years. One or two of our guys grumbled about being knocked out of the game before even having a turn; did you not see Cthulhu on the boxcover ?

- SPIES, 2 games. One game each for CIA and KGB. Don't care for this one as much as LOVECRAFT, as I've found that unless you identify your allies early on, the game plays very randomly.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oh, Lovecraft Letters is just a re-skin of Love Letter?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Yes and No. The basics are the same as LOVE LETTERS, but with a decidedly Lovecraftian flourish. Many cards have a standard effect and an optional, more powerful Insanity effect. The more Insanity effects you use, the greater the chance you have of going Insane and being knocked out of the game.

Also, the Mi-Go can appear and put your brain in a jar and take over your hand. Seriously.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the original rhino hero is the game that the owner of the FLGS shills for the most, so he's been super pumped and happy about the new one

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Wait, I think I have been in Kerala. As in, the actual province in southern India. Bizarre!

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Hexplore It Valley of the Dead King should show next week and besides winning worst title ever I am excite.

Rise of Moloch shows up Tuesday, right after the day long board game day i have scheduled consarnit

CRAP IT WAS JUST ZOMBICIDE

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Adventureland: a really fun fantasy themed spatial puzzle race sort of game from Haba with some dice combat. There's a grid and you flip cards to determine where things come out (monsters to fight, treasure etc) and then you can move one of your 8 guys as far right or down as you want. But your dudes can never move up or left, so once you jump out to something youre stuck out there. Not sure if that makes sense, but everyone really enjoyed this one.

Yeah, what a weird game to be getting hype, but I'm planning on picking it up. Haba, man, who would have thought.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Man that triplane and tripods game looks so cool. Too bad ive spent too much money on games lately to justify it...

• Options
    Man that triplane and tripods game looks so cool. Too bad ive spent too much money on games lately to justify it...

I might be $200 poorer as of 10 seconds ago.

I loved Sails of Glory, I love the little I've played of Wings of Glory. I love mechs. This was like made to score a critical hit against my heart.

Plus I really want to start running games at my local boardgame convention, and this seems like a great convention game.

• Options
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Yeah, what a weird game to be getting hype, but I'm planning on picking it up. Haba, man, who would have thought.

It's a Kramer+Kiesling design so it stands to reason that it's solid. Haba released Karuba at the same time which is also really good.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. But no, you're right, the boxes are too big.

• Options
    I got paid $25 to run a boardgame today...

Is... is this heaven?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Is... is this heaven?

In order to answer that question, we need to know ...

Which.

Game.

[dramatic pause!]

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Is... is this heaven?

In order to answer that question, we need to know ...

Which.

Game.

[dramatic pause!]

Kriegsspiel!
    28059278_1576999745729636_4647803748918779540_n.jpg?oh=78d88a7d12b25ef4e9b9d6c808e19db4&oe=5B052A63

I helped move a loooooot of pieces. And that was only one of two battles occurring simultaneously on the map.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    And depends on your would-be constituents. A good set of people is the best. A bad set, or even at least one jerk in the group.... *seesaw hands*

Okay, so I got a stupid scenario on gift etiquette:
    Last December (or late Nov), a board game buddy asked me what I wanted for Christmas for our yearly exchange gift. I said "Metal coins!" She said "That'll probably take a while, since I'm ordering overseas (we're not US), that cool?" I said "Yeah, I guess."

Fast forward to today. A local shop's just advertised they have a Viticulture coin set.

Which is an acceptable action:

A) Just buy it. If she's ordered a set, then I get more coins! If she hasn't, then I still have coins!
    B) Ask her first if she's ordered a set. If she hasn't, I'll go buy it from the local store (I don't mind if she misses a gift, really). If she has, I wait.
    C) Sit back and wait.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    There's no social faux pas in (B) just asking. It's not like it was supposed to be a surprise she was getting them for you.

But if you'd rather dance around the issue then (A) seems a no loss option as well.

(C) might end up with you getting no coins purely to avoid the situation so should go in the bin immediately.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Is... is this heaven?

As somebody who works for a church and gets paid, in part, to run board games like Gloomhaven every other weekend?

Yes, my son.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Moar coins is moar better.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    From an etiquette perspective, you should sit back and wait and let your friend’s gift be special. If later you decide you need more coins, you can always get more (ask this shop to order another set, if they run out). But “Oh thank you for this gift, even though I already have some now” is a slightly rude thing to have done.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    And depends on your would-be constituents. A good set of people is the best. A bad set, or even at least one jerk in the group.... *seesaw hands*

Okay, so I got a stupid scenario on gift etiquette:
    Last December (or late Nov), a board game buddy asked me what I wanted for Christmas for our yearly exchange gift. I said "Metal coins!" She said "That'll probably take a while, since I'm ordering overseas (we're not US), that cool?" I said "Yeah, I guess."

Fast forward to today. A local shop's just advertised they have a Viticulture coin set.

Which is an acceptable action:

A) Just buy it. If she's ordered a set, then I get more coins! If she hasn't, then I still have coins!
    B) Ask her first if she's ordered a set. If she hasn't, I'll go buy it from the local store (I don't mind if she misses a gift, really). If she has, I wait.
    C) Sit back and wait.

D) next time you see her, mention that you saw some sweet coins at the local store, and watch closely for a reaction

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Has anyone here played the dark crystal board game?

I loved that movie growing up, but I'm wary of games that are "here's a bad game that you'll blindly love if you love the licensed property" type

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

I loved that movie growing up, but I'm wary of games that are "here's a bad game that you'll blindly love if you love the licensed property" type

Is it made by the same people who made the Labyrinth game (River Horse, IIRC)? If so it's probably fine but flawed.

• Options

I looked at it and it looked pretty much exactly like the labyrinth game. Labyrinth was okay, it was just a really light random family weight game in the vein of coop Talisman. We played it twice and enjoyed the movie nostalgia, and then traded it away.

• Options
    Valley of the Dead King was... okay. We only played two players and so our strategies were kind of non-existent tho since one of us had all healing abilities and the other had all damaging and one of them was much better than the other.

It seems like it would really shine with 4 or more players but does still feel a little Runebound-esque.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Unexpected sleeper hit last night with Not Alone. I haven't had felt much tension and fund in a 1 vs many game since the first time I played Whitechapel. And it has the rare quality that it's just as fun to be one of the many as it is the one.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Unexpected sleeper hit last night with Not Alone. I haven't had felt much tension and fund in a 1 vs many game since the first time I played Whitechapel. And it has the rare quality that it's just as fun to be one of the many as it is the one.

How many humans did you have? We were not quite as impressed with it as a 2 v 1, but I suspected it might be better with more.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

How many humans did you have? We were not quite as impressed with it as a 2 v 1, but I suspected it might be better with more.

We were at 3 humans and I feel like 4 might be even better. It's also probably super group dependent like most of those social deduction games.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

We were at 3 humans and I feel like 4 might be even better. It's also probably super group dependent like most of those social deduction games.

Honestly, the 3 of us who tried it like that kind of thing, it just felt a little too easy for the humans with only the two of us to get hit. Glad to hear it worked better for you.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

This discussion has been closed.