As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    We've been playing Charterstone and it's a hard one for me to nail down. I think because the first game nearly soured us on the whole deal; the premise of 'learn while you play' sounds good on paper but here, at least for us it was massively frustrating because.. gosh I don't know how to put it into words. It's like you can feel the hole where the missing rules are and it grates (you start out with a basic ruleset then add to the rulebook as you play, its kind of like how Hogwarts Battle plays out but it's not handled nearly as well here IMO). But now that we've gotten a few games in it's better, it plays pretty fast actually, at least until you unlock a new rule and the flow of the game screeches to a halt.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So last night I sat down with my wife and ran her through 14 games based on recommendations you guys gave. I basically just read the description to her on BGG, and showed her a few pictures of each game set up to give her an idea of what it looks like in play, and then let her know what the relative complexity rating was on BGG as well.

After all was said and done, the ones she liked the most were Caverna (despite the complexity) and Evolution. So I think I'm going to pick up both if my local store has them. It seems that the more fantastic the theme, the less likely she was going to be interested in it. Also, she didn't want to do co-op at all, and she wanted something we could learn as two players, and then spread to a larger group of folks.

One of the things my local game store is renting games. Most game stores have some kind of demo wall.

It might be cheaper to go that route if you have access to it?

We have a board game cafe around here called Snakes and Lattes, it's a pretty neat joint, and we'll probably check it out in the near future to play and drink.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Snakes and Lattes

HA

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Snakes and Lattes

HA

It's a pretty neat place actually!
    9i7d8ixytliy.jpg

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    It is a pretty amazing game, sadly.

I am hugely unimpressed by the balance of some of the expansion factions.

So it really is a faithful reskin of chaos in the old world :P

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »

wait we've played chaos like 20 times and don't have a strong opinion about balance, i don't think

we did take the "2 points per kill" card and make it one point per kill and it's still pretty good

what is your ranking of powerful gods and card decks (as far as expansion or not)

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So last night I sat down with my wife and ran her through 14 games based on recommendations you guys gave. I basically just read the description to her on BGG, and showed her a few pictures of each game set up to give her an idea of what it looks like in play, and then let her know what the relative complexity rating was on BGG as well.

After all was said and done, the ones she liked the most were Caverna (despite the complexity) and Evolution. So I think I'm going to pick up both if my local store has them. It seems that the more fantastic the theme, the less likely she was going to be interested in it. Also, she didn't want to do co-op at all, and she wanted something we could learn as two players, and then spread to a larger group of folks.

One of the things my local game store is renting games. Most game stores have some kind of demo wall.

We have a board game cafe around here called Snakes and Lattes, it's a pretty neat joint, and we'll probably check it out in the near future to play and drink.

Isn't that one of the nicest board game cafes around? I know I've heard that name in many places and usually associated with good things. Definitely check them out and play the games there before you buy!

I wish we had a board game cafe around here. Friends of mine have discussed trying to open one ourselves, but with families, the risk is a bit much I think.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    @Dissociater you in Toronto?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options

wait we've played chaos like 20 times and don't have a strong opinion about balance, i don't think

we did take the "2 points per kill" card and make it one point per kill and it's still pretty good

what is your ranking of powerful gods and card decks (as far as expansion or not)

It’s mostly that damn khorne upgrade completely ruining the game, our crew doesn’t do houserules so we just stopped playing the expansion.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Cardhaus just put Seafall on sale at $10. It's now sold out so presumably at that price people are willing to hope the reviews were wrong

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I played the expansion for Scythe last night, the one with the airships. Wind Gambit maybe?

I felt like the airships did just a little bit more than nothing and i don't see what they add to the game. In our game nobody even activated any of the powers, they were so situational. They ferried some workers and that's about it. The variable end conditions are sort of neat. It might be the least necessary expansion i ever played. The base game is pretty good though. (the extra faction expansion is also pretty good - even if its weird that the two bonus factions aren't surrounded by water.)

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    @Dissociater you in Toronto?

I sure am!
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Isn't that one of the nicest board game cafes around? I know I've heard that name in many places and usually associated with good things. Definitely check them out and play the games there before you buy!

I wish we had a board game cafe around here. Friends of mine have discussed trying to open one ourselves, but with families, the risk is a bit much I think.

Yeah I love it. I've only been a few times, but I've actually met up with some Penny-arcade forum randos there and had a nice time!

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Cardhaus just put Seafall on sale at $10. It's now sold out so presumably at that price people are willing to hope the reviews were wrong

I picked it up from one of the sales around Black Friday for pretty cheap. May have been $20 though. Worth a look at those types of prices, even if the fun dries up after a bit, that is pretty cheap.
    We haven't started it yet though, finishing Netrunner and some other games first that have story.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I am biased as to what the best boardgame cafe is because my friends own one and I get free food and booze there for having helped build it.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I am biased as to what the best boardgame cafe is because my friends own one and I get free food and booze there for having helped build it.
    I'm in the same boat, having worked at my local one for over a year and generally supporting it otherwise. Even still, I've been to several others and think we're kind of phenomenal in comparison. <_<

• Options
    If we ever decide to pull the trigger on this venture I will definitely need input and recommendations.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I played the expansion for Scythe last night, the one with the airships. Wind Gambit maybe?

I felt like the airships did just a little bit more than nothing and i don't see what they add to the game. In our game nobody even activated any of the powers, they were so situational. They ferried some workers and that's about it. The variable end conditions are sort of neat. It might be the least necessary expansion i ever played. The base game is pretty good though. (the extra faction expansion is also pretty good - even if its weird that the two bonus factions aren't surrounded by water.)

Not having to riverwalk is somewhat made up for by not having access to the Speed upgrade.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I dropped $20 on it back during the Asmodee winter sale. My understanding is that while it's got a lot of disappointment because of people's inflated expectations, it's not entirely bad?

Like, being a Legacy game, I feel like there's still an experience to get out of it, and a story that will evolve, even if it turns out that the journey wasn't as fun as we would have liked.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I dropped $20 on it back during the Asmodee winter sale. My understanding is that while it's got a lot of disappointment because of people's inflated expectations, it's not entirely bad?

Like, being a Legacy game, I feel like there's still an experience to get out of it, and a story that will evolve, even if it turns out that the journey wasn't as fun as we would have liked.
    I don't think this is spoilery at all, but just to honour anyone still interested ...
    The best I had it described (in that it was accurate to my own experience with the game and really drilled to the point) was that Seafall takes way too long to actually get enough rules to be compelling, and you spend too much time doing all the rote buildup to the interesting points. You need to unlock a bunch of stuff before there's much more to do than move around a board and roll some dice, and if you have 4-5 players the downtime is atrocious. There are also too few goals, and you'll probably all update the same subset of stuff because the game doesn't give you a compelling reason to do otherwise until you're, like 5-6 games in.
    Like, the legacy component of Seafall is pretty good. It's the game that it starts out as that is the turn off. Don't play with more than 3?

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular

It's a pretty neat place actually!
    9i7d8ixytliy.jpg

A good portion of my online purchases come from Snakes and Lattes. The free Canada wide shipping is pretty great and their prices are competitive. Snakes and Lattes is great!

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Hey, thread, how the stink are you guys?

So what do you guys think about Shadows of Brimstone (City of the Ancients)? Played one game, our group seemed to like it, so I wanted to know what I was getting myself into. My impression is that it's a more thematic RPG, but perhaps less serious? There are various opportunities to be permanently crippled and/or die gruesomely, which honestly has this strange appeal. For example, I rolled badly and the loot that I gathered actually made my nose fall off, penalizing me such that bad events were more likely to happen in town. My character's name had been "El Guapo", which obviously took on a whole new ironic hue. But I definitely recognize that it might be frustrating to have a well-established character suddenly die because you rolled snake eyes in town. Or maybe not! Maybe the game simply pivots into a resurrected or rerolled character? Would love to hear other experiences from the game, especially past the first couple missions.

EDIT: It actually reminds me, strangely enough, of Tales of the Arabian Nights, which through persistent good or bad (usually bad) effects, could maintain a kind of persistent developing personal narrative. Plus the rare but real danger of simply dying if things went unusually awry.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We've been playing Charterstone and it's a hard one for me to nail down. I think because the first game nearly soured us on the whole deal; the premise of 'learn while you play' sounds good on paper but here, at least for us it was massively frustrating because.. gosh I don't know how to put it into words. It's like you can feel the hole where the missing rules are and it grates (you start out with a basic ruleset then add to the rulebook as you play, its kind of like how Hogwarts Battle plays out but it's not handled nearly as well here IMO). But now that we've gotten a few games in it's better, it plays pretty fast actually, at least until you unlock a new rule and the flow of the game screeches to a halt.

This is sort of where I'm at with it. We're due for game 7 next week, and it's getting a bit more cutthroat as crates run out and people focus on points over putting stickers everywhere, but it still feels like it's missing a step between where it is now and being a complete game.

It is at least pretty light and quick, and the way unlocks are staggered so that something powerful early on for one group might barely appear for another is quite neat, but I'm not convinced that the completed game is going to be all that compelling when we're done.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    The first round of Charterstone was weird. There really wasn't a clear understanding of how the game scoring worked in the overall Legacy Scoring (there still are a few hidden mechanics). I was also surprised to end up winning that round, and am now the proud mayor of Towny McTownface. After the first two round the flow of the game was better understood.

I am not sure how this would work as a stand alone game. We are playing with four right now, so two charters are much less developed which leads to some odd imbalances. This kind of works in the legacy sense, but I can't imagine it working well in an isolated game sense, nothing is anywhere near balanced. That said I love it in the legacy sense, the board is always changing and encourages experimenting with strategies. The meta-game impacts mean the king making stuff doesn't pop up and even if you're down for that game, there is still plenty to do to help for future rounds.

I have also learned that old need to put stickers on everything from when I was young had been quietly waiting in my heart all this time.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So one of the posters who started the outcry against Sandy Petersen's sexism has been getting death threats via PM since the guy has returned to BGG.

What a classy fucker.

• Options
    I love when the stickers are made to precisely fit with matching background lines or art.

I hate when I'm not the one who applies them and they end up not lining up properly.

It is weirdly satisfying though, putting stickers on pieces and cards.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I'm cooling on Charterstone a lot. The last couple of games just haven't been much fun for me. Others in the group are still enjoying it, but and I and at least one other person are close to the "do we even care to finish this" point. We just finished game 8 (of 12).

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I love when the stickers are made to precisely fit with matching background lines or art.

I hate when I'm not the one who applies them and they end up not lining up properly.

It is weirdly satisfying though, putting stickers on pieces and cards.

Oh, yeah, the Gloomhaven map feels great to stick new missions on. Something for you recent adopters to look forwards to.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    My wife asked about Charterstone when we were at the FLGS. I told her I wasn't interested in it and I heard that having only 3 players didn't work as well as 4 or more. The store left a message that our copy is in. I guess I am getting Charterstone for Valentine's day :?

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    My wife asked about Charterstone when we were at the FLGS. I told her I wasn't interested in it and I heard that having only 3 players didn't work as well as 4 or more. The store left a message that our copy is in. I guess I am getting Charterstone for Valentine's day :?

Maybe you're more fortunate than you know.

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

Maybe you're more fortunate than you know.

I'll go in with low expectations and hopefully enjoy it.

She is into all things legacy right now. She digs ripping things apart and applying stickers. Regular games take shelf space forever, but she loves that legacy games are disposable.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's fun. Major tip. It feels like it is going to play like a 4x but it is not a 4x. It's an exploration and goal grabbing game.

The person who thinks they are just going to go totally an economic strategy is going to lose badly. It's more of a light side thing.

I say this because the person who did it was only playing at the end to be a pal and let us finish. It's a trap.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Played a 2P game of The Palace of Mad King Ludwig.

Tiles! TILES EVERYWHERE! AND SWANS! So. Many. SWANS!

So 2P is very.. direct when it comes to screwing each other. And make no mistake - even though this game doesn't have the master builder and money aspects, it is still a game about screwing each other.

The snaking nature of the palace is awesome. Basically, you spider out, dodging other people's rooms and looking for swan points, and avoiding the moat. Again, in 2P that is very direct, as you build the moat any time a room is completed. That happens quite a bit with the uniform design.

It was a VERY smart idea to track rooms they way they do. you place a symbol of your player on each room you build, and flip it over when it is completed. You also track every room you build (or architect) on your building board, so you can quickly calculate things.

It is fun to screw someone by building stairs off their basement. If you can complete it, you get equal points!

I am very glad they included a scoring sheet to help add up things, as there is a lot of end-game math. It's not complicated, just tricky (especially with a half-asleep on call neurosurgeon [don't ask, he's cool]). In the end I won 165 to 156.

I used the store's demo table. At least one person bought the game while we were there.

EkaF2Bph.jpg

IxRCoAXh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Arkham LCG update: we completed the Undimensioned and Unseen module on the 7th brutal try, then blew through the rest of the Dunwich campaign with no further difficulties. I maintain that one is just very poorly designed, especially for two players. I like this game and I plan to move on to the Carcosa campaign, but it still has some quirks to it that make it less fun for me than Eldritch (more strategy, more progression) or Mansions (better story).

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Hey, thread, how the stink are you guys?

So what do you guys think about Shadows of Brimstone (City of the Ancients)? Played one game, our group seemed to like it, so I wanted to know what I was getting myself into. My impression is that it's a more thematic RPG, but perhaps less serious? There are various opportunities to be permanently crippled and/or die gruesomely, which honestly has this strange appeal. For example, I rolled badly and the loot that I gathered actually made my nose fall off, penalizing me such that bad events were more likely to happen in town. My character's name had been "El Guapo", which obviously took on a whole new ironic hue. But I definitely recognize that it might be frustrating to have a well-established character suddenly die because you rolled snake eyes in town. Or maybe not! Maybe the game simply pivots into a resurrected or rerolled character? Would love to hear other experiences from the game, especially past the first couple missions.

EDIT: It actually reminds me, strangely enough, of Tales of the Arabian Nights, which through persistent good or bad (usually bad) effects, could maintain a kind of persistent developing personal narrative. Plus the rare but real danger of simply dying if things went unusually awry.

I Looooooove Brimstone. I kinda went nutty on it when it came out. The Wild West Lovecraftian theme just scratches all the right itches for me. Look at BGG for the hex crawl home brew. It's amazing. Also, get poker chips for money.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Played Time Stories today. My friend had played a few times, so we joined as a group that had some extra time. Ended up winning with a little bit of fudging. It's a lot for what is basically just one riddle at the end. They have three stats for each character, but Combat is so much more useful than the other two that it's stupid to pick anyone specializing in the other two. Not impressed overall, and I guess I don't need to worry about it anymore unless he wants to do one of the expansion stories.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Played Time Stories today. My friend had played a few times, so we joined as a group that had some extra time. Ended up winning with a little bit of fudging. It's a lot for what is basically just one riddle at the end. They have three stats for each character, but Combat is so much more useful than the other two that it's stupid to pick anyone specializing in the other two. Not impressed overall, and I guess I don't need to worry about it anymore unless he wants to do one of the expansion stories.

Every Time Story scenerio I have played (Asylum, Marcy Case, Behind the Mask and Prophecy of Dragons) plays very differently outside of the fail/reset/retry cycle, time management and movement stuff. Our group had that same complaint about the over reliance on combat in The Marcy Case.

It is also a game that is less about winning or losing than about being a one off puzzle game. We have fudged the rules on occasion to avoid doing another unnecissary run. I like Time Stories, but it has zero replayability.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Speaking of Dunwich, ended up restarting our AHLCG campaign the other night due to adding a third player and got through Scenario II. Our team is rolling Jenny, Jim, and Roland.

Went a *bit* better this this time...
    Did Extracurricular Activity and actually rescued the professor... but we almost ran out of time since the Mythos deck decided to be a dick and hand out three Ancient Evils in one turn, and so the experiment got super close to the dorms.

The Casino adventure is still amazing... but we ended up running out of time again and got caught in the building burning down. There was no way in hell we were going to be able to go back and get the owner out.

Museum went fairly well... although goddamn the Hunting Horror got rough by the end there. Definitely gave it a taste of MACHETE POWAH the first few times it spawned... but later on I focused on just clue hunting while Jenny got to bust out her Typewriter and go to town on it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Got to play Vast and Gloomhaven today.

Vast was amazing, just how all the different players interact is great. I can’t wait to play it again now that everyone understands it better.

Gloomhaven on the other hand was a bust for me. It’s a dungeon crawler ass dungeon crawler. It’s fiddly and slow and ultimately kind of boring. The big picture stuff is neat but the moment to moment gameplay is a slog.

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Got to play Vast and Gloomhaven today.

Vast was amazing, just how all the different players interact is great. I can’t wait to play it again now that everyone understands it better.

Gloomhaven on the other hand was a bust for me. It’s a dungeon crawler ass dungeon crawler. It’s fiddly and slow and ultimately kind of boring. The big picture stuff is neat but the moment to moment gameplay is a slog.

It might be the class I'm playing, but it doesn't seem that much of a slog to me. The puzzly element of the fight I enjoy more that the legacy stuff at the moment.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Played Black Friday this weekend which was a pretty rad stock game in which you try to make the most of the market before an inevitable crash. Looking forward to playing that one again.

This discussion has been closed.