As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I got a time capsule with: the 900m depth mod for the Seamoth, the solar power mod for the Seatmoth, the power efficiency mod for the Seamoth, and the sonar mod for the Seamoth. Pretty soon after I built it.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    My time capsule has an ion battery and some stuff for making thermal reactors.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    There are also large copper deposits in the Mushroom forests. Build a scanner there, set it to copper, profit.

Nope, no profit, 'cause Alterra already owns everything, including your wetsuited ass.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    I've only found the one and it was on my way to setting up my third base in the green river/fossil zone.

So nutrient blocks were not that helpful.

They are very helpful, but only if you save them for when you actually need them.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I've only found the one and it was on my way to setting up my third base in the green river/fossil zone.

They are very helpful, but only if you save them for when you actually need them.

Uhh....*points to thermoblade*

Also I kinda need the inventory space.

jothki wrote: »

Uhh....*points to thermoblade*

Also I kinda need the inventory space.

They're great for places without fish. Like the islands, or the Aurora.

I'm long done with those areas, unless there is yet another island I haven't visited yet. And the islands have bulbo trees and Aurora has the cafeteria and supply crates that can contain nutrient blocks.

I'm not sure why you guys are trying to defend a lackluster time capsule after already posting your much better ones.

Food and water is never going to be a hard to obtain resource in this game.

Double Post but finished Subnautica.

Lots of fun though I did cheat to put in the super rare ingredient I needed for the fetch quest after fruitlessly searching for an hour. It's a serious down note in an otherwise great game.

My playthrough was 2 days+ but that's due to me building a number of unnecessary supply depots. Honestly should have just loaded up the cyclops as best I could and used that after my first base.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Lots of fun though I did cheat to put in the super rare ingredient I needed for the fetch quest after fruitlessly searching for an hour. It's a serious down note in an otherwise great game.

My playthrough was 2 days+ but that's due to me building a number of unnecessary supply depots. Honestly should have just loaded up the cyclops as best I could and used that after my first base.

which ingredient?

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

which ingredient?

probably means the
    sea crown

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

which ingredient?

probably means the
    sea crown

Yeah I shamelessly looked up where to find one, it's far too small and hard to see for how rare and vital it is.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I actually already had that one in my aquarium. The scan said it was rare so I picked one up.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Re: The ingredients

There is a certain logic to finding it as well.
    Since the other four samples all came from areas near the portals in the facility, video game logic implies the 5th is in or near the facility itself.

Although you can occasionally find it in other spots around the game.

edited March 2018
    Ingredient talk
    Yeah I basically couldn't get back to the portals as the game felt it needed to lock me in the final aquarium.

So I was wandering around in my Prawn/Sea Moth. I did not have fun with looking for that last ingredient despite looking up where I should find it and having no luck.

Had a night to sleep on it and fuck that noise. Sent it off with my Time Capsule along with an Ion Battery and Ion Power Cell.

It's a blight on an otherwise great game.

While the game does a great job of letting you explore on your own or guide you to an extent, the ingredients made no sense. The only places I've seen sea emperors is down in the volcanic zone so why are the ingredients all scattered up above?

Edit: Put the discussion in spoilers just in case and added some convo.

Karoz on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    By total random chance, I noticed
    a sea crown inside the leviathan's holding chamber before getting the list, then got the list a couple minutes later and immediately remembered I had JUST bumped into that.

I had zero recollection of encountering that plant anywhere else which is why I scanned it the first time I saw it, I imagine it would've been quite the pain in the ass to actually search for.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I definitely found one before I got to that area, and threw it away because I couldn't eat it. Whoops.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    I think I found mine in one of the Dunes craters. I was hunting for the Precursor Cache I found last time I played and saw this shiny plant among the less notable ones.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I'm watching Markiplier's playthrough of Subnautica, but I've not actually finished the game myself so I'm trying to make sure I don't spoil myself by only watching up to where I'm actually at. I swear to god I had no idea that Mark also made his Seamoth bright yellow with black stripes and named it BumbleButt, so it seems that we both independently came up with the same terrible joke.

I'm up to what I've mentally named "The Cave of Nope":
    The wiki says its actual name is "Deep Grand Reef" but given the abundance of Warpers and Crabspiders I feel like the name I gave it is more appropriate. BumbleButt can't get me deep enough to get to the Degassi Seabase that's down there at 500m, so my only option is my brand new PRAWN suit and Cyclops. Except the visibility in my Cyclops is awful so I ended up ditching it at about 200M and just jumping down in my PRAWN. That actually worked pretty well since all I needed to do was fall, and the PRAWN is beefy enough to fend off any pesky wildlife. The problem quickly became "How the fuck do I get back out again?" Even with a grappling hook arm I was struggling because I just couldn't find the exit, and it quickly became apparent that I was going to starve to death before I found the way out. So I may have strategically not saved that one...

I shall return later with more food, water and beacons. Your secrets will be mine, Cave of Nope.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The 900m depth upgrade for the Seamoth really pays off for exploration. Just sayin'.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    The 900m depth upgrade for the Seamoth really pays off for exploration. Just sayin'.

Yup. It's interesting how different people's paths through the game are as when I found that section I didn't have a prawn or cyclops but I did have a fully upgraded Seamoth which made it pretty trivial.

I have conquered the Cave of Nope! Sort of! I wasn't given any sort of indication of where I should be going next, and wiki-peaking indicates that I actually missed one PDA somewhere as well as a neat thing I neglected to scan, so I'm going to have to go back at some point.
    I missed Paul's Log #3, I don't suppose anyone knows exactly where it is? The three logs I did find were inside the habitat itself, but given the contents I'm expecting Paul #3 to be some distance away from the Hab itself. The thing I forgot to scan was the alien containment, which I definitely want.

I didn't get the blueprints for the modification station that I'd need to craft the 900m Seamoth upgrade until after my second jaunt into the Cave of Nope, but even now that I've got the ability to craft it, I don't know if I actually want to take my Seamoth down there. I feel safe in the prawn with my armor plating and punchy arms, like an angry metal crab. In the Seamoth I feel like prey. I'll probably keep using it as a scout, but the Prawn is clearly better suited for the serious business.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The Seamoth is far better at running away, though, which is my usual reaction.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    The Seamoth can outrun basically anything, which is not true of the other vehicles.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The Seamoth can outrun basically anything, which is not true of the other vehicles.

Also three words: Seamoth Perimeter Defense.

The Seamoth is far better at running away, though, which is my usual reaction.

No. Hulk SMASH puny sea-life!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I keep BZZORTING you - why do you keep coming back????

edited March 2018
    I think I found mine in one of the Dunes craters. I was hunting for the Precursor Cache I found last time I played and saw this shiny plant among the less notable ones.

Counterpoint:

https://i.imgur.com/4NmW7t6.gifv

MuddBudd on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Counterpoint:

https://i.imgur.com/4NmW7t6.gifv

Why would you sync the arms like that, you need to alternate for a proper pummeling.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Reading through this I really need to make building the seamoth a bigger priority than I have.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    BladeX wrote: »
    Reading through this I really need to make building the seamoth a bigger priority than I have.

It's actually quite easy to build. Even the Cyclops isn't a huge resource sink.

• BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    BladeX wrote: »

It's actually quite easy to build. Even the Cyclops isn't a huge resource sink.

Ya I just kind of got distracted by the pretty ocean and then other games.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    HAH! Organic ILS!

the one thing that I think is subtly neat about subnautica is that killing things is never really encouraged by the game. Like, you cook and eat fish but that's the complete end to the use of killing things. You don't harvest fish or creature parts by killing them, you don't even get anything if you kill leviathans. They just sit there twitching forever. I realized when I was like 3/4 of the way through the game that my behavior was way more pacifist than it normally is in games like this, just because it wasn't worth it to me to be violent.

• HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I also enjoyed that most of the game is played by running, sneaking by and hiding. One thing I enjoy in many games is going into areas that I am not ready for or too low level and try to get as deep as I can to collect items or resources that I would otherwise not have access to yet. I've often found myself stubbornly trying to get something many many times where leveling would have taken less time. Dark Souls series was really fun for that.

I would put subnautica more in the exploration side of things over survival.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The one gripe I have about that is harvesting teeth. It's good that there is a peaceful way to do it, but not being able to just knife a critter and get a pile of teeth is dumb.

The one gripe I have about that is harvesting teeth. It's good that there is a peaceful way to do it, but not being able to just knife a critter and get a pile of teeth is dumb.

it is indeed silly that it's a pretty crucial thing to get and you can't just go get them

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

it is indeed silly that it's a pretty crucial thing to get and you can't just go get them

Sure you can.

If you drop salvage in front of them, they'll go after it and most of the time, they drop teeth when they grab it.