As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    allllllmost finished. Curse you, sleep and work! I shall escape the planet tomorrow.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I started a new game on my computer recently for the launch. Just got my Seamoth tonight! I missed having it... :)

Another tip: If you can find a Grav Trap in the Safe Shallows (the starting reef), it can make fishing way more efficient. It pulls small things like fish and outcrops towards itself, making them easier to grab.
    It's also useful later when you get the Prawn suit to keep all the mined resources in one place.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Oh, this is out? I should restart, then. I played a litte bit of it, but the fact that I kept losing my starting house pod because it drifted around made it annoying enough that I kinda left it by the wayside - I couldn't reasonably have lockers with reserves in them if my base just kept changing places and suddenly who the fuck knows where my material storage is in relation to my pod.

Then I was told that that is not normal and in fact is a bug. So if that's fixed, I should be able to poke around a bit again and see if this time I can actually, you know, build something (I tried to make a small one- room base and add a respirator to it, to have a base that didn't drift around, but managing to latch tubes was impossible? Tube length never seemed right and I just spent an hour fiddling around with tube pieces trying to get it to work).

Steam ID: Right here.
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I missed you Subnautica. It's good to be back. Currently relearning the game and putting together some basic survival gear while dodging the Stalkers that have been circling my escape pod.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Oh, this is out? I should restart, then. I played a litte bit of it, but the fact that I kept losing my starting house pod because it drifted around made it annoying enough that I kinda left it by the wayside - I couldn't reasonably have lockers with reserves in them if my base just kept changing places and suddenly who the fuck knows where my material storage is in relation to my pod.

Then I was told that that is not normal and in fact is a bug. So if that's fixed, I should be able to poke around a bit again and see if this time I can actually, you know, build something (I tried to make a small one- room base and add a respirator to it, to have a base that didn't drift around, but managing to latch tubes was impossible? Tube length never seemed right and I just spent an hour fiddling around with tube pieces trying to get it to work).

That is in fact, fixed.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Is this co-op at all?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Is this co-op at all?

Sadly no. I think there was a mod being worked on?

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Has there been any sort of word on if they're planning on adding hand controller support for VR, or is it gonna be gamepad forever?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My son played a LOT of this in early access

It's a really cool game

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Correct me if wrong, harvested resources in a given area slowly respawn over time?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited January 2018
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Correct me if wrong, harvested resources in a given area slowly respawn over time?

I believe they do now. There are also the larger deposits that can only be gathered with the PRAWN Drill.

I notice they've changed some resources too. Quartz and Salt, for example. Quartz is now only underground in the shallows, and salt moved to the Kelp Forest and Grassy areas.

MuddBudd on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Started and beat a fresh playthrough to finally witness the ending and nab all the achievements.

Had everything ready. Seamoth, Cyclopse, and Prawn all built and ready to go. Just needed the depth modules.

But it took me about five fucking hours to find the vehicle upgrade station blueprints.

I love the game but holy shit they should fix that. It completely killed my momentum.

RT800 on
    MuddBudd wrote: »

That is in fact, fixed.

Good to hear!

Any tips on the building thing? I kept being unable to make a chain of tube reach both the latch point on the base and the latch point on the floating respirator thingy. Is there any trick to it?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Has there been any sort of word on if they're planning on adding hand controller support for VR, or is it gonna be gamepad forever?
    I think the plan is to greatly expand the VR support. Right now it's very bare bones. I don't know if that means hand stuff but I think it probably does.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Game is great, but god is it awful if you have problems with deep water.

Especially if you are a fucking imbecile who buys it knowing you have problems with deep water.

Like me :rotate:

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    What's weird for me is that in real life I have a problem with deep water, but in video games I love under water exploration.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    What's weird for me is that in real life I have a problem with deep water, but in video games I love under water exploration.

I've had to stop playing subnautica like 5 times because i was clenching so tight cause of the deep, dark water that i was afraid i was gonna retract my chair inside me.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

I've had to stop playing subnautica like 5 times because i was clenching so tight cause of the deep, dark water that i was afraid i was gonna retract my chair inside me.

Just sucking that chair right up into your cleft, eh?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    God I love this game. I always hit a rut when I build a Cyclops. That's when it's time to go deep, and I am terrified of this fucking ocean planet enough as it is. Glad it's finally launched! A friend gave me his Rift setup on indefinite loan so I loaded it up in VR last week. No motion controls at all so it screws up if you have your motion controllers on at the same time as a game pad, and your tools disconcertingly are sticking out of the sides of your head. The devs have said they might finish up VR mode once the game is at 1.0 so here's hoping. It's not worth playing that way for any length of time other than quick jaunts for sightseeing (and you definitely should!) as implemented.

edited January 2018
    Fired it up, played a bit. Runs pretty good on my laptop. Got the high cap oxygen tank, some fins, the Seaglide, and a few tools. Lucked into a cave that was positively full of rocks and quartz, so I have a decent enough amount of glass and even some silver and gold.

My problem is more the batteries. Since I don't have reliable sources of copper I get super neurotic about spending batteries at all. My Seaglide is more of a "oh shit the copsa predator/explodofish" button than a means of locomotion.

I still don't understand how Stalkers work. Sometimes they bite me, sometimes they don't, sometimes they just kind of hover menacingly around me, sometimes they beeline for me from thirty meters away. Make up your mind, you cheapo Agnaktor bootlegs!

Also: Christ but the Reefback is impressive. THAT was a scare coming out of a cave.

Drascin on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    A battery charger will ease your battery concerns once you stumble across the schematics

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    edited January 2018
    My problem is more the batteries. Since I don't have reliable sources of copper I get super neurotic about spending batteries at all. My Seaglide is more of a "oh shit the copsa predator/explodofish" button than a means of locomotion.

Also: Christ but the Reefback is impressive. THAT was a scare coming out of a cave.

About that...
    Might want to take a closer look at the Reefback's reef... back.

Raiden333 on
    Re: copper

I swear nodes in the shallows give way more copper than before.

But yes, check out the top of the large reefbacks.

I made a base!
    F3F55A20A4C18947D018544EAD9B474F2B29D6FE

Playing around with creative mode is kinda fun but I've never felt compelled to build more than one base in this game.

I mean I can build a whole second base in the deeper zones but... why?

little safety outposts in the deep dark sound like a good idea, but not fullblown bases.

RT800 wrote: »

Scanner outposts. Relatedly, I would love if the cyclops sonar upgrade was a mini scanner room.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Scanner outposts. Relatedly, I would love if the cyclops sonar upgrade was a mini scanner room.

Scanner and recharge stations (power/battery chargers) and maybe a water filtration system.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Also I don't know why anyone would use any of the power generators other than thermal or solar.

Especially thermal. I use thermal power generators for everything.

Also I don't know why anyone would use any of the power generators other than thermal or solar.

Especially thermal. I use thermal power generators for everything.

Ehh...I'm a fan of bioreactors since they can be useful in the cold dark.

Although, I do like the feeling of power overwhelming that comes from the nuke reactor (but I can't see having more than one base powered by one).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    ...You know, unless it was during the holiday forum mashup, I could have sworn there was a previous subnautica thread because I know I posted some subnautica pictures of a recentish runthrough I was doing.

:Fakeedit: and looking at the screenshots, Dec 25 is the creation date, so I guess it was indeed during the holiday forum.
    CmnFIBs.jpg
    rMGzXnQ.jpg

As for presently, I am torn between starting Yet Another run, or holding off until VR gets some TLC and then do a VR run.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I saw a Kotaku article about this game and apparently there's an actual story you can beat?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I saw a Kotaku article about this game and apparently there's an actual story you can beat?

There is! It's nothing mindblowing but I liked it.

Cure yourself and get off the planet

That first part leads you through some.......interesting stuff.

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Erg. I'd just acquired the habitat builder tool and a couple other things when the game crashed and I lost my progress. Lesson learned. But I managed to get another one plus some other goodies and dropped a beacon near a thermal vent I'm eyeing as a possible location for a base. The Stalker that followed me into the vent was....not so lucky. A little slice and dice action and he swam further down into the vent trying to get away. Sucks to be him.

Poketpixie wrote: »
    Erg. I'd just acquired the habitat builder tool and a couple other things when the game crashed and I lost my progress. Lesson learned. But I managed to get another one plus some other goodies and dropped a beacon near a thermal vent I'm eyeing as a possible location for a base. The Stalker that followed me into the vent was....not so lucky. A little slice and dice action and he swam further down into the vent trying to get away. Sucks to be him.

Pretty sure any smaller fish that end up in there get cooked automatically. Not a bad source of food.
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Scanner and recharge stations (power/battery chargers) and maybe a water filtration system.

Yes, this. Maybe a few planters with basic stuff like creepvine/food/mushrooms. Stuff you can't get in the deeps.

Plus storage for stuff you don't want to lug around, or the mats for PRAWN upgrades, etc...

I was kind of bummed to discover you can't build a base on top of a Reefback.

Would've been novel but I guess you don't want your base moving around constantly, either.

Would've been novel but I guess you don't want your base moving around constantly, either.

...that would be frikken awesome!

I want that now!

God damnit I'm gonna end up reinstalling this fucker.

I just reinstalled 2 other games with the intent of beating them god damnit Arcadia.

I did have a reefback get stuck on my base over the weekend and it looked like that.
    XcPKnFr.jpg

can you still throw all your excess gear in a ground divot without it despawning or have they changed that?

Used to do that all the time to avoid wasting titanium on the crappy floating lockers.

Buttcleft wrote: »
    can you still throw all your excess gear in a ground divot without it despawning or have they changed that?

Used to do that all the time to avoid wasting titanium on the crappy floating lockers.

Yeah that still works