As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Subnautica] Below Zero Launch on May 14th

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Finished BZ today

I love both these games and hope the devs have a Subnautica 2 in the works.
    The ending does leave me wondering if we could pick right up in that final location with Robin and Al-an for Subnautica 2. There was enough cloud cover that it could absolutely be a water world with cities built on it.

This could be really interesting I think

Especially if
    Al-an's "people" are gone.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Having used the Snowfox some more I'm really liking it.
    It's fast (it has a boost mode, use it), portable and keeps you warm. It can jump and its turning speed isn't really a big issue. It's just land, you have heat. It doesn't matter at all. I've successfully driven it into caves and through narrow places and tunnels without issue. It's a hoverbike, it'll just go up walls and recover and float over obstacles. Sometimes it does take damage but most of the time it doesn't.

The fact you can pack it up and pop it in your inventory is useful to have a portable heat generator at any time.

It's also got really good lights on it.
    Also lets you go through the gate at the destroyed lab to pop out halfway through the northern area.

I used both and honestly Snowfox is clear winner especially for
    The areas around the Leviathan.

And when you just need to get somewhere to do something it's fantastic. It can also outrun Ice Worms with the boost.

I've used the Prawn too on land. It's just a slow plodder that has trouble with anything too narrow. I got stuck once and was afraid I'd have to redo my save, but managed to wrench my way out. I don't have the grappling hook, maybe that breaks things wide open, but Snowfox is a good land vehicle.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I love Subnautica's base building system, enough so that when I finished the story I jumped right back in to start a Creative file just to play with bases more. I'm even kicking around ideas for a House Flipper-style game where you just build and fix bases for space D.R. Horton or something.

What's your favorite building spots in BZ? I like the wide, flat areas you can sometimes find in the Lithium Pools, but there's still too much clutter with the rocks and thermal vents for my liking.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    The starting area is really pretty. I'm not sure on other places I haven't had a need to build elsewhere yet other than one base near
    the bridge, to stock and store stuff I get from the land. It's right next to the little wharf.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    So far I think the
    Eyeball jellyfish

Are the worst critter. They aren't very dangerous but they're so creepy and they're right near where I have my first land base. My initial land base was going to be
    Past the tunnel under the ice that has a lot of them

because that's where I first went on land. But it turned out there's another spot that's easier to get to and involves less dealing with those things

Phoenix-D on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is the performance on Below Zero any better than the first game on the PS4? Because three minutes to load/save a game, horrendous popup and numerous crashes made the first one a somewhat fraught experience.

If it isn't any better I'll wait a couple of years until I get a PS5.

edited June 2021
    It's performing significantly better on my ageing pc than subnautica 1 does (I just finished playing 1 and started Below Zero, so I have a direct comparison). 1 would have heavy stuttering and problems, BZ is solid as a rock 99% of the time.

So I imagine the PS4 BZ will be better than 1.

Morninglord on
  • RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Really enjoying this.

ME: I've thoroughly explored this area but I can't find certain blueprints. I guess I'll build a scanner room and see if I missed any fragments.

SCANNER: *Lights up like a Christmas tree. Hah! You missed a S**TTON.

I feel it mocking me.

I built a floaty camera and drive it out to each fragment, park it then swim to the camera marker.

Is there a way to see scanner room locations while swimming about so I don't have to drive a camera to each location?

You can make a chip that shows everything in your hud. In the crafter in the scanner room

You can make a chip that shows everything in your hud. In the crafter in the scanner room

OMG thanks. That will make my underwater life SO much easier than swim camera to objective,swim to objective,return to base, repeat.
    I wonder if I'm getting sick COUGH COUGH, is missing work so I can build a seabase OK?

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Do keep in mind that you need to leave the scanner on for the chip to do anything, and it will continue to eat power while you're out, so don't lose track of time or you might come back to a base with no juice left.

Steam ID: Right here.
    Riboflavin wrote: »

OMG thanks. That will make my underwater life SO much easier than swim camera to objective,swim to objective,return to base, repeat.
    I wonder if I'm getting sick COUGH COUGH, is missing work so I can build a seabase OK?

Even for things as simple as needing to find sandstone outcroppings, it really speeds up the process. It was especially useful for stalker teeth

Drascin wrote: »
    Do keep in mind that you need to leave the scanner on for the chip to do anything, and it will continue to eat power while you're out, so don't lose track of time or you might come back to a base with no juice left.

Thanks, my 1st base is like 87 meters down near a drop but is right by a creepy weed field. My Bioreacter is contributing to underwater global deforestation because I usually pickup a piece or two of weed before going in my base because it is so close and I need batteries recharged constantly.

Also, it is a SIN that I can't hydrate with coffee. I mean, I do it in real life.......

If you're only 87 meters, you can get a lot out of some extra solar panels too

I put a solar panel on top of the multipurpose room that houses my bioreactor. Now when I go outside there is like a light beam going through my base and exiting underneath. I think it may be the power path for the solar panel? Is there a way to check if its actually charging my base without just letting my bioreactor run out?

edited June 2021
    Those lines should indicate when it's powering something outside that module,, do you have something set up in the direction the line is going? Could just be a glitch too.

Think the bioreactor has a max power level of 500. When you enter your base, numbers should come up on your hud indicating current/max power

If that 2nd is higher than 500 you'll know your solar array is powering the base too.

Mulletude on
    Beat Below Zero. No guides, no wiki, no help. Just me.

Feels good.

Beat Below Zero. No guides, no wiki, no help. Just me.

Feels good.

Congrats! So far I haven't spoiled myself too badly but its not been totally blind.

Evidently I am "Special" because I have another question.
    I built a multipurpose room on the surface of some ice. I made a hatch and the game nicely made stairs so I don't have to jump into the hatch.
    I wanted to put a solar panel on top but I can't reach the top.
    So I put a solar panel on the ground but can't attach a receptor to the side of the base? Is there a way to rotate the energy "antenna" sideways and put it on the side of the base or am I stuck with building a bioreactor?

Also, don't spoil it I am just complaining but F*** Magnetite. I found like 2 pieces and that was it. I know there is a treasure trove of it somewhere but I need about 5 pieces for different projects and me and my best friend the Prawny has not found it.

If you put the panel close enough it connects automatically.

• PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I wish I could like this game more, but I hate the above ground stuff and there is so so much of it.

Pemulis on
    I actually did so very little of the above ground stuff.

Ground spoilers
    I did almost all the ground stuff on both sides of the bridge in two big batches and it was done. I spent way, way more time in the water. The ground isn't really as big as people say. I think I spent less than 2-3 hours in a 19 hour playthrough above ground. The ground areas feel big, but they're surprisingly small.

They feel bigger until you kinda map it in your head. My first attempt at the game left me frustrated with it.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    And BZ done
    That ending, oh my god what an ending
    I want to play BZ2 so much

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    And BZ done
    That ending, oh my god what an ending
    I want to play BZ2 so much

Given that it was originally supposed to be a DLC, it feels more like that ending scene might, just might, be the start of Subnautica 2.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited June 2021
    They feel bigger until you kinda map it in your head. My first attempt at the game left me frustrated with it.

I'm kinda an outlier I think in that unless its so dark I literally can't see, or really really really confusingly laid out, I can map most places in my head very easily. So like deep underwater cave with very narrow paths I might get lost, at least for a little while. Put a beacon near the exit tho, I can probably find my way in and out easily no matter how far in I am.

Land? I aint getting lost on land.
    Plus the trick with making the i-container and hatch whenever I needed to warm up plus carting around some of those plants that warm you up that are everywhere, and I just kept on trucking without any survivability issues till it was over even without the snow suit. I did make a thumper first but I took spare batteries. I went back to those areas twice to find specific things and I knew exactly where to go. I took the prawn to drill a few things I knew the location of and the snowfox in the other area to go back to a specific spot to do something story related and to search for something else story related based on some clues. None of that took very long it was all very goal directed. Kinda feel like I missed out a bit on some of that delicious frustration agony with my habitat builder trick.

I'm a bit sad I never found the grappling hook attachement. I was stuck on 1/2 till the end. Eventually I just tootled around in a sea truck with only the docking module attached to explore and mine. I'd just truck the prawn over, get in, mine, take the truck back.

Morninglord on
    Well..... I messed up. There are certain spoilery beacons that show up as green. I hadn't explored any so I had quite the list.
    I started exploring them out of order.
    I can't remember whic hones I've been to and which ones I haven't so I am ending up repeating myself.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    they get turned off after you go there once
    you can turn them on again, but that should help you

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    they get turned off after you go there once
    you can turn them on again, but that should help you

Any plot beacon you haven't reached yet has a * next to it and the beacon list will show a # at the top. This applies if the beacon is on or off.

For the green ones
    Scanning the thing that is there isn't close enough in some cases to count as "reaching" the beacon

I'll look for the plus. I turn off all my beacons when I'm goofing off base building except vehicles and the beacon I leave outside my base.

I built a second base about 270m down again next to a drop. It just has a multipurpose room and a scanner room right now but I want to make it bigger. Need some lead for supports. I'll probably ignore plot for the foreSEAable future and buildup my base to prep for base3. ;-)

I'm taking my time this game because I don't want to finish it until I've gotten my fill of the awesome building system.

I have finished the game. Some thoughts:

I thought it was awesome. I wish they had a way to force me to build more bases. I ended up with one very large base and one tiny base underwater and one tiny base on land.

Also I wish you could repair damaged bases that aren't yours you came across. It would be fun to fix them up and claim them as your own.

I thought it was balanced well. I died a couple times but always because of my impatience or stupidity. (I know i have a tier one air tank but is 300m really too deep?)

I can't imagine the work it took to make log entries for every one of the plants and animals in the game.

I am disappointed they aren't working on another one but I understand burnout just making sequels. It is too soon to play this through again but I may go back and play a leisurely playthrough of the 1st one. I feel I kinda rushed through.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    First games ending was better despite the...grandeur of BZ's.
    First game really gave you a sense of accomplishment and "Fuck you, Planet! I'm out of here!". BZ leaned a bit too hard into fetch quests in a map that seemed more confusing despite being smaller. Maybe because of that. Then you mosey off.

But yeah, we definitely need a Subnautica 2.

Nothing quite scratches the itch like these games do. That's why I'm on my 2nd run of BZ now. Even with it in my head I still can't reliably find my way around the big above ground area.

These two both have the same problem for me in that they have a plot critical area that I cannot stand (the land area in BZ, below the Lost River in original). For similar reasons even; I dislike the Cyclops the Prawn and the Snowfox.

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    I have finished the game. Some thoughts:

I thought it was awesome. I wish they had a way to force me to build more bases. I ended up with one very large base and one tiny base underwater and one tiny base on land.

Also I wish you could repair damaged bases that aren't yours you came across. It would be fun to fix them up and claim them as your own.

I thought it was balanced well. I died a couple times but always because of my impatience or stupidity. (I know i have a tier one air tank but is 300m really too deep?)

I can't imagine the work it took to make log entries for every one of the plants and animals in the game.

I am disappointed they aren't working on another one but I understand burnout just making sequels. It is too soon to play this through again but I may go back and play a leisurely playthrough of the 1st one. I feel I kinda rushed through.

I hope they make a similar sort of game, though, set in the same universe.

If not, I’m definitely still interested in their next project, as I’ve loved both Subnauticas.

Subnautica was the first survival game I ever spent a lot of time in and I've been seeking a similar experience ever since. It's honestly magical to me.

Playing Below Zero without looking up anything was really cool and I wish I'd done it for Subnautica 1 as well.

Subnautica was the first survival game I ever spent a lot of time in and I've been seeking a similar experience ever since. It's honestly magical to me.

Playing Below Zero without looking up anything was really cool and I wish I'd done it for Subnautica 1 as well.

I've kinda been keeping an eye on VoidTrain to scratch the itch. I don't like to play things in early access but it looks pretty cool.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/voidtrain

Possibly not exactly what I want because of "Set in the Subnautica Universe." but new game way out in the distance.

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-new-subnautica-game-is-in-development/

An outer space survival adventure could be fun or another planet. Not sure they could do another plot off the original planet. So far they are batting 100% with me so I'll be following this.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Damn, for a second I thought it was a new game (forgot the name of the sequel for a moment).

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    oh that dock is pretty cool

i wasn't expecting any more content updates so that's pretty rad