Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Subnautica] Below Zero Early Access Jan 30th

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited January 29 in Games and Technology
Somehow we don't have a thread for Subnautica, so I am making one. Because Subnautica is fun.

APS7qA6.jpg?1

Also, it is officially leaving early access today, Tuesday Jan. 23rd.



Devs are planning a livestream later today for the release.

https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/launch/

I've played this off and on during EA and have loved it, already thinking about places I will build bases. (the new scanner rooms seem more useful now, I want to build them in several areas)

Discuss.

-edit-

Oh, and for new players, the only changes with launch are to the end game stuff. You can start a new playthrough right now, and it will be compatible with 1.0 when they patch that in tonight.

steam_sig.png
MuddBudd on
XaquinEd GrubermanIanatorElvenshaeGhlinnSyrdonLord_Asmodeus
«13456729

Posts

  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Last time I played the Cyclops was still indestructible... this is going to take some adjustment.

    steam_sig.png
    PoketpixieSyrdon
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Ooh a thread! I am also planning to stream some of this later tonight. I played a bunch previously but never made it to
    the second island because I didn't see the teleporter on the first one
    so I am excited to get back into it. They've overhauled the graphics recently too, looks a lot nicer.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Yeah the UI has been updated several times since I last played, plus graphical improvements.

    steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Also, now that the game is going to be fully launched, Neebs Gaming will hopefully finish up their Subnautica play series.

    I highly recommend watching it. They have one guy play the survivor, and the others are remote tech support.


    Lots of spoilers though so if you want to experience the game yourself, play it first, then watch.

    @SniperGuy post a link to your stream when you start.

    steam_sig.png
    SniperGuyElvenshaeMagicalGoatsCommander Zoom
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Registered User regular
    Subnautica is great. I really have to make time to play the game again now that it's out of early access.

    Last time I played was ... before they added just about any of the major story. Not long after the first appearance of the PRAWN suit.

    steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Given that there will probably be new players, here's some real basic tips I learned during early access.
    • First Priority should be oxygen tanks, food, and water.
    • You can carry extra O2 tanks in your inventory to increase your time underwater further.
    • Safe Shallows and the Kelp Forest should give you the resources to get basic tools going
    • Scan. Everything.
    • Seaglide!
    • You're gonna need silver, which means Kelp Forest or Grassy Plateau zones
    • Eventually you will start getting pings on the map to explore. Lifepods, wrecks, etc... you'll probably want a Seamoth for that.
    • Wrecks and such usually have tech fragments and resources. They are worth exploring.
    • Stasis rifle, when you unlock it, will make things a lot less dangerous.

    MuddBudd on
    steam_sig.png
    KarozPoketpixieXaquinElvenshaeMvrckMagicalGoats
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I love that Neebs Gaming series

    And i'm excited to finally play the finished product. Watched a bit of Jacksepticeye playing it(he got it early from devs) and everything looks so much smoother than when I last played it. The UI especially looks great.

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Elvenshae
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Given that there will probably be new players, here's some real basic tips I learned during early access.
    • First Priority should be oxygen tanks, food, and water.
    • You can carry extra O2 tanks in your inventory to increase your time underwater further.
    • Safe Shallows and the Kelp Forest should give you the resources to get basic tools going
    • Scan. Everything.
    • Seaglide!
    • You're gonna need silver, which means Kelp Forest or Grassy Plateau zones
    • Eventually you will start getting pings on the map to explore. Lifepods, wrecks, etc... you'll probably want a Seamoth for that.
    • Wrecks and such usually have tech fragments and resources. They are worth exploring.
    • Stasis rifle, when you unlock it, will make things a lot less dangerous.

    So, I'm looking at this and wondering if it is like no man's sky where you adventure underwater instead of in space? Also is the sealife real looking or alien looking?

    Curious since I like both NMS and Abzu but am craving more underwater adventuring games and this seems to check both. Also do you have to mine for materials just to move around?

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    You can swim and dive from the get go. But you have to collect resources to build equipment and gear.

    The game takes place on one planet but there is a lot of exploring.

    The sea life is all alien.

    That answers a few things anyways :)

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    destroyah87BetsuniElvenshae
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I tried this in VR around Christmastime, and something immediately jarring was that the tutorial or objective test (EDIT: Er, text) was just out of view, like you could just barely see the bottom edge of text floating at the top of the screen. Does anyone know if that's been fixed?

    Orogogus on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Sadly I don't have VR so I dunno.
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Also do you have to mine for materials just to move around?

    You don't quite mine, you break mineral outcrops to gather ore. You don't gather/mine nearly as much as say, Minecraft. But you will need a lot of resources from various biomes.

    You just can swim around to start with in the Safe Shallows. The deeper you swim, the faster you burn through O2 and the more dangerous it gets. There are also several vehicles that can built built to help with this.
    • Seaglide - small, handheld engine/prop that increases speed
    • Seamoth - small one-person sub. Good for shallow to medium depths with upgrades. Contains air supply. Quite fast
    • Cyclops - a relatively large submarine, big enough to work as a mobile base. Can build inside. Has a vehicle dock for Seamoth/Prawn. Can go extremely deep with upgrades. Noise can attract some creatures when not off or in silent running.
    • Prawn Suit - single person mech suit with arms and an internal air supply. Can go extremely deep with upgrades. Optional tool arms such as drills, launchers, etc...

    steam_sig.png
    BetsuniElvenshae
  • IanatorIanator Delightfully mediocre! Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Given that there will probably be new players, here's some real basic tips I learned during early access.
    • You can carry extra O2 tanks in your inventory to increase your time underwater further.

    Not anymore. You get a dedicated equipment slot for an air tank. You may be able to swap tanks? I haven't tried.

    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Steam
    Blizzard: Ianator#1479 / 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 / FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    destroyah87Elvenshae
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular


    Jacksepticeye also started a new playthrough for the full version. It's quite delightful, but SPOILER WARNING. If you don't want to know exactly what to do, wait to watch this one. Jack played a ton of the early access version, so he's got this shit down.

    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    *starts video*

    -Host is already screaming-

    *stops video*

    I'm sure he's lovely.

    MuddBudd on
    steam_sig.png
    GrovePreacherBloodsheedKorhedronXaquinDr. Phibbs McAtheySir CarcassCommander ZoomLord_AsmodeusPresident Evil
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Given that there will probably be new players, here's some real basic tips I learned during early access.
    • You can carry extra O2 tanks in your inventory to increase your time underwater further.

    Not anymore. You get a dedicated equipment slot for an air tank. You may be able to swap tanks? I haven't tried.

    I'll have to look into it tonight. Might be worth building air pipes early on then, now, if thats the case.

    steam_sig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I assume you're referring to the "top o the morning" thing. That's just how he starts his videos, he's not really a screamer.

    Pretty low tolerance for that stuff myself, and I don't remember getting annoyed at anything in the newer Subnautica videos.

    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Excited to get back into this game for real, I toyed with it a bit when it first hit Early Access and then put it away until 1.0. Big fan of the devs from Natural Selection - NS2 seemed like it barely kept their heads above water so I'm happy for them that this game seems like a huge hit.

    Launch stream in just under 3 hours if anybody's interested: https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/launch/

    Also what I'm hearing is you're fine to start a new game right now, the 1.0 patch only adds endgame content and is compatible with your save.

  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I bought this yesterday night.

    Is there a word on when it actually leaves "Game Preview"? Because its just barely the 24th here and still not listed as "final" version.

  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I bought this yesterday night.

    Is there a word on when it actually leaves "Game Preview"? Because its just barely the 24th here and still not listed as "final" version.

    Later tonight, but you can start now, all the early/mid-game features are present.

  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I bought this yesterday night.

    Is there a word on when it actually leaves "Game Preview"? Because its just barely the 24th here and still not listed as "final" version.

    Later tonight, but you can start now, all the early/mid-game features are present.

    Yeah the only stuff getting added, AFAIK, is the final bits of the story. That's a ways off for someone on a new save. You can start now and it will be updated long before you get to it.

    steam_sig.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    You can swim and dive from the get go. But you have to collect resources to build equipment and gear.

    The game takes place on one planet but there is a lot of exploring.

    The sea life is all alien.

    That answers a few things anyways :)

    Awesome this helps hype it more for me!
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Sadly I don't have VR so I dunno.
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Also do you have to mine for materials just to move around?

    You don't quite mine, you break mineral outcrops to gather ore. You don't gather/mine nearly as much as say, Minecraft. But you will need a lot of resources from various biomes.

    You just can swim around to start with in the Safe Shallows. The deeper you swim, the faster you burn through O2 and the more dangerous it gets. There are also several vehicles that can built built to help with this.
    • Seaglide - small, handheld engine/prop that increases speed
    • Seamoth - small one-person sub. Good for shallow to medium depths with upgrades. Contains air supply. Quite fast
    • Cyclops - a relatively large submarine, big enough to work as a mobile base. Can build inside. Has a vehicle dock for Seamoth/Prawn. Can go extremely deep with upgrades. Noise can attract some creatures when not off or in silent running.
    • Prawn Suit - single person mech suit with arms and an internal air supply. Can go extremely deep with upgrades. Optional tool arms such as drills, launchers, etc...

    Thanks! More hype for me.

    I'm guessing O2 reloads on the surface or something?

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    destroyah87Elvenshae
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Yes, or anytime you enter a powered base or vehicle. The number is literally the number of seconds of air you have left.

    There are also some specific corals that emit large O2 bubbles in some zones. You can actually see one in the very first image in the OP.

    steam_sig.png
    destroyah87BetsuniElvenshae
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    My biggest quality of life tip, you won't have to worry about this for your first hour or two, but when you start building a base to stretch your legs out and do some more crafting, you're going to need a lot of storage lockers. Start organized and stay organized. You can click the word "Locker" on the wall lockers to rename them, or craft a sign you can put next to standing lockers with a single piece of copper wire. It saves a fair bit of time being able to walk into your storage room and go straight to the cabinet that you know your stuff is in because it's labeled.

    steam_sig.png
    IanatorMulletudeKarozElvenshae
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Also, stuff you drop just stays there, AFAIK. You could find a small divot in the terrain and drop stuff in there if you need to, in a pinch.

    steam_sig.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    My biggest quality of life tip, you won't have to worry about this for your first hour or two, but when you start building a base to stretch your legs out and do some more crafting, you're going to need a lot of storage lockers. Start organized and stay organized. You can click the word "Locker" on the wall lockers to rename them, or craft a sign you can put next to standing lockers with a single piece of copper wire. It saves a fair bit of time being able to walk into your storage room and go straight to the cabinet that you know your stuff is in because it's labeled.

    On the topic of being organized:

    Beacons

    Carry at least one with you wherever you go. Not going to go into spoilers, but in a game where there is no map to reference (and accompanying map markers), beacons to label notable features (such as for your base) are invaluable. After deploying a beacon, you can rename it to give distinct labels to your beaconed features.

    Also of beacon-note: Seamoth, Prawn, and Cyclops all have beacons built into them (so they will always broadcast their location...presuming they aren't destroyed).

    Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
    MuddBuddRaiden333KarozElvenshae
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    My biggest quality of life tip, you won't have to worry about this for your first hour or two, but when you start building a base to stretch your legs out and do some more crafting, you're going to need a lot of storage lockers. Start organized and stay organized. You can click the word "Locker" on the wall lockers to rename them, or craft a sign you can put next to standing lockers with a single piece of copper wire. It saves a fair bit of time being able to walk into your storage room and go straight to the cabinet that you know your stuff is in because it's labeled.

    On the topic of being organized:

    Beacons

    Carry at least one with you wherever you go. Not going to go into spoilers, but in a game where there is no map to reference (and accompanying map markers), beacons to label notable features (such as for your base) are invaluable. After deploying a beacon, you can rename it to give distinct labels to your beaconed features.

    Also of beacon-note: Seamoth, Prawn, and Cyclops all have beacons built into them (so they will always broadcast their location...presuming they aren't destroyed).

    This this this this. And don't be afraid of cluttering your UI with a bunch of beacon tags, you can individually toggle whether each one is visible or not in your menu. And if you decide you're done with a beacon, like if you've fully looted a wreck or something, you can always pick it back up and reuse it.

    steam_sig.png
    MuddBuddDr. Phibbs McAtheyCommander Zoom
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Gaah, I can't wait to play this later!

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Oh hey a thread. Kinda got sidetracked by other games, but I've got a save where I was trying something new to shake things up: a no Seamoth/Seaglide run. You'd be surprised how deep you can make it with just a good tank and a rebreather. Then you get the PRAWN and it's time to be stompy. Don't recall if I had a Cyclops yet.

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

    SniperGuy post a link to your stream when you start.

    @MuddBudd Aye aye!

    www.twitch.tv/sniperguygaming

    Going live in just a sec and ready to be terrified of the ocean again.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
    Poketpixie
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The official livestream should be going live any time now.

    steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Cinematic trailer. Seems to be about the Degassi survivors.

    steam_sig.png
    PreacherPoketpixieKarozElvenshae
  • KarozKaroz Uguu~ Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Given that there will probably be new players, here's some real basic tips I learned during early access.
    • You can carry extra O2 tanks in your inventory to increase your time underwater further.

    Not anymore. You get a dedicated equipment slot for an air tank. You may be able to swap tanks? I haven't tried.

    I'll have to look into it tonight. Might be worth building air pipes early on then, now, if thats the case.

    Yeah I played some odd updates back but I managed to not find the Sea Moth for awhile and so air pipes were my work around.

    Pretty good too since they are so cheap and you can pick them up again IIRC.

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Those trailers are cool. Game is still fun and still terrifying. I can't find a third vehicle pad scan for the life of me. When I get to base building, is there a good recommended place to stick a base?

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Last time I played, you could build the big sub and rig it to explore really deep areas, but it randomly despawned on me after I'd switched over to using it as a base so I lost virtually everything. Hopefully that issue is long dead.

    Swimming into the deep dark hits something like three different primal fears; even in the most peaceful areas, the game always feels spooky and has you looking over your shoulder. And when you start getting away from the sunlight into the really dark areas? Yeah, look forward to whipping around at the slightest sound and hoping nothing new is trying to chomp you.

    Glad this is finally hitting an actual release, it's a pretty neat game.

  • destroyah87destroyah87 Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Those trailers are cool. Game is still fun and still terrifying. I can't find a third vehicle pad scan for the life of me. When I get to base building, is there a good recommended place to stick a base?

    I prefer to go with anywhere just on the edge of the shallows for my first base.

    Two preferred spots are either on a rock column nearest to the stern end of the Aurora. Or near an underwater volcanic vent, even with the bow, bordering some kelp forest.

    steam_sig.png
    SniperGuyElvenshae
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Back in early access (well...technically, last week), I built my base about 150m away from the lifepod and towards the Aurora wreck. This was not a great spot (there was literally only one narrow path for me to park my Cyclops). In my new game, though, I've built my first outpost (multipurpose room, power cell charger, bioreactor) down in the blood kelp zone (talk about dark places), and I'm thinking of plopping my main base down in the grand reef.

    Of course, I have a knack for building in less-than-ideal locales...so I have no idea if all that's a good (or even passably decent) plan.

    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I have a spot I usually like near the shallows, grass, and kelp. Building on the edge of zones definitely helps.

    There's also a spot in the Sparse Reef I like, and I'm planning an outpost in the Mushroom Forest for plot reasons.

    MuddBudd on
    steam_sig.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    Oh man. Yep this game is a must buy for me then. Sounds like something I could get lost in for hours and enjoy my time.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I can confirm, your O2 level does not increase automatically having extra tanks in your inventory now. But you CAN swap them out with a mouse click, so early on, it's probably still useful to carry an extra or two when going into caves and such.

    steam_sig.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I am really liking this pathfinder tool. It makes navigating the vents in wrecks a lot less chaotic.

    steam_sig.png
    destroyah87Elvenshae
«13456729
Sign In or Register to comment.