As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sea of Thieves] PvP Pirate Simulator

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited March 2018 in Games and Technology
sea-of-thieves-ship.jpg?itok=bPNiqZ6t

Sea of Thieves is a multiplayer game by Rare for PC and Xbox One. It features crossplay so if you buy it in one place you can play it in both! Handy.
The Sea of Thieves gameplay loop is basically:
Get mission on the island
Figure out which island your mission wants you to go to using the map, clues, etc.
Sail to island, defeat enemies or solve puzzle, find treasure.
Carry treasure chest back to island, receive gold, buy new hats and fancy rifles.

But also once a treasure chest has been recovered, anyone can turn it in at the island (there are multiple safe zone islands so if one is circled by a pirate you can leave). So you may have to deal with other players trying to attack your boat with the cannons and steal your stuff, but you can also attack other people and steal their stuff! If you are killed, you respawn at your boat. If your boat sinks, you respawn at a nearby island with a new boat. So in order to corpse camp you, someone would need to board your boat without sinking it, kill you all, and somehow keep control over the whole boat. You could of course leave the lobby and join a new one with no penalty other than the time to swap into a new game at this point since they've already taken any treasures you were carrying.
Your boat can take damage and take on water and you have to patch holes and scoop out water. The wheel controls direction and you can unfurl and trim the sails to increase speed. Sailing the boat is actually a little tricky but has a lot of room for really good sailors to shine I think.

You do missions to rank up with different factions and get more interesting missions and unlock more interesting gear. Most gear seems cosmetic so far but some offer different options like different weapons.

It's also a blast and currently in Closed Beta. Rare has already specifically mentioned that the closed beta is in limited scope from the full game so some features are definitely still missing. You can get a key through preordering or getting lucky and getting one sent you like I did. So who else is getting their pirate on?
Zetx wrote: »
Okay, I made a Fancy Form you can fill out and here is the Full List

Twitch Streaming basically all week
SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
SniperGuy on

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I'm ready to play a sea shanty in your face instead of telling you where to sail or watching for other pirates.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I vacuumed up a bunch of videos of this game yesterday. It's so pretty, and the water looks fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7DgXtX2rXk

I'm a bit hesitant, because my old crew doesn't really get together for the vidjamagames anymore, but I've been hankering for something like this since Guns of Icarus.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh yeah they put out a bunch of good videos. The water and the rain effects are goooood.

Here's one for the progression systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9hJNfMa5M

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    God this game looks so good.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Man I want this game to be awesome so bad. I've been waiting for a game like this for about 20 years ago since I played Pirates! Gold on my Genesis.

I'm hesitant, but I'll keep messing around in the beta, and Skull and Bones is right there.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I somehow totally missed that it's supposed to be a "small" multiplayer session game tho, I was under the impression it was more of a persistent open world.

What's the scale of it supposed to be like, both in size and time? Sounds like you can just keep playing in a session as long as you want, but how many islands are currently in it/how long does it take to get across the map?

I mean I would say roughly 20-30 islands on a map, and I think its supposed to be like 4 boats? per session. I've never had trouble finding other boats after sailing for a short while. I think there are 4-6 outposts where people can potentially spawn into the server or where you drop loot off.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    been watching streams of this game today, looks super awesome...but it's 100% one of those "you need a good, ready to go crew to play" types of games. otherwise, I can't imagine it being nearly as fun.

edited January 2018
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I somehow totally missed that it's supposed to be a "small" multiplayer session game tho, I was under the impression it was more of a persistent open world.

What's the scale of it supposed to be like, both in size and time? Sounds like you can just keep playing in a session as long as you want, but how many islands are currently in it/how long does it take to get across the map?

The maps are pretty large, it will take you quite a while to sail across the whole map (depending on wind and such, but with favorable conditions and not stopping, maybe 15 minutes from one end to the other? Just a guess, haven't timed it)

Typically I think there are like 4ish player boats on a map at once? Probably a little randomized? It's definitely a smaller thing and not a huge persistent world, but also we have had no problem hunting down other player boats when we want to.

edit: Oh and you CAN queue up to play with random people if you just really wanna do a 4 player boat but can't find anyone.

SniperGuy on
    Thanks, that helps adjust my expectations. I was thinking it was some kind of MMO style game with a huge map.

This is a good excuse to watch more gameplay videos.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I ended up playing with one group of randos for 3 hours this morning before the server disconnected me, and I definitely want to play again with a group of friends.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    personally i like the sloop more than the galleon, its easier to adjust everything and is able to steer quicker. Of course the galleon has like 8 cannons which is nice for firepower, but I know @Sniperguy and I have sunk a galleon in a sloop before, you just need to stay out of their cannon arc

Also we never actually played with 4 people on voice chat so that would probably help. I know Kooleagle and I are planning to play/stream tonight so maybe we can snag more people who wanna do the big boat too!

SniperGuy wrote: »
    Also we never actually played with 4 people on voice chat so that would probably help. I know Kooleagle and I are planning to play/stream tonight so maybe we can snag more people who wanna do the big boat too!

Do PC players also just use Xbox live for parties?

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Elki wrote: »

Do PC players also just use Xbox live for parties?

Yup, it goes through Windows 10's xbox app stuff so it's all one happy party as far as I am aware. Also i'm SniperGuy710 on there so if anyone wants to do some plunderin' add me!

I'm up for playing tonight. I think I already added your name sometime ago.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Hmm, if I get my assignment done today maybe I will reward myself with this.

For... for research purposes....

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    My two game friends went from 0 to 100 hype level this morning when I showed them some streams, and then back to 0 as we were all about to pre-order until we noticed that it's Windows 10 only and they are still on 7 and don't want to upgrade :rotate:

yeah honestly i would absolutely love this game to just be on steam, and not crazy microsoft shit because it is really annoying, and I had a huge headache of trying to figure out what microsoft accounts I have that got grandfathered into their complete system now. It will be super great when I can use my normal username again.

yeah honestly i would absolutely love this game to just be on steam, and not crazy microsoft shit because it is really annoying, and I had a huge headache of trying to figure out what microsoft accounts I have that got grandfathered into their complete system now. It will be super great when I can use my normal username again.

I still think Microsoft accounts are pretty awesome these days. It's just that Games For Windows Live was so bad it is reaching out of the past to mess with you. (Also Windows 10 is pretty awesome)

I saw someone streaming this for a second and they had a
    fricken rifle with a scope?!

Are there spyglasses? Seems like it'd be super handy.

I still think Microsoft accounts are pretty awesome these days. It's just that Games For Windows Live was so bad it is reaching out of the past to mess with you. (Also Windows 10 is pretty awesome)

I saw someone streaming this for a second and they had a
    fricken rifle with a scope?!

Are there spyglasses? Seems like it'd be super handy.

We all have that thing. And yes, there's a spyglass.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Prohass wrote: »
    Btw calling these quests is a stretch. You essentially randomly generate a currency that you then go find. That's it. There's three types of chest "missions", but it's basically the same thing no matter what.

I'll happily eat my hat if the devs are right about this just being a closed off slice of game, but honestly I'm calling bullshit.

Games where you make your own fun are fine, but this is a full price game, they need to make some fun on their end too!
    @Prohass I suspect on a scale from WoW to PUBG this game is supposed to lean more towards the PUBG. In that it's supposed to be more like a lobby in which teams do things at each other rather than a world in which you do your own thing.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Btw calling these quests is a stretch. You essentially randomly generate a currency that you then go find. That's it. There's three types of chest "missions", but it's basically the same thing no matter what.

I'll happily eat my hat if the devs are right about this just being a closed off slice of game, but honestly I'm calling bullshit.

Games where you make your own fun are fine, but this is a full price game, they need to make some fun on their end too!
    @Prohass I suspect on a scale from WoW to PUBG this game is supposed to lean more towards the PUBG. In that it's supposed to be more like a lobby in which teams do things at each other rather than a world in which you do your own thing.

I still feel like even on these very forgiving terms the game feels unfinished and loose. And that 60 dollar price tag (100 digitally in Australian dollarydoos) just keeps hanging like an Albatros around this things neck for me

Prohass on
    edited January 2018
    I find it really odd that the combat in this game feels worse and shallower than minecraft. Like I'm assuming there is more enemy variety, but will there be? The Skeleton fighting in this game feels like something that would come with the engine, like pre-done assets just reskinned.

I feel like I could go on and on regarding how unprecedented this kind of lack of content, lack gameplay systems and empty looseness is for a full price game, so I'll take a break and let people enjoy it if they enjoy it and not harp on about it

Prohass on
    I played a bunch and had a blast tonight with @TheKoolEagle @bloodyroarxx and @Elki . Thanks for the awesome games everyone!

I think the combat feels way better than minecraft but maybe that's just me, MC never clicked with me against other people. Sword fighting can be interesting but I haven't figured it out super well, I think there's some depth there with the blocking but it feels frantic without knowing what to do. The pistol/rifle are fun. Definitely not super deep overall but I like the simplicity.

Also playing it does seem like there's only one quest giver right now but they've definitely announced more, this is just a limited thing it appears. Hopefully there's a lot more but I think they have a good foundation to add stuff too. There's some big pirate base like things that fire at you when you pass by so I bet higher level missions will require raids on that sorta thing.

Does it bug anyone else that nobody says anything piratey or makes any pirate noises? It's so quiet. Also npcs don't even look at you. It's small but it bugs me.

Also I really don't like that the only way to get loot or do anything meaningful is to first generate the quest. You can't just randomly explore because all you find is empty island and skeletons

edited January 2018
    Does it bug anyone else that nobody says anything piratey or makes any pirate noises? It's so quiet. Also npcs don't even look at you. It's small but it bugs me.

Also I really don't like that the only way to get loot or do anything meaningful is to first generate the quest. You can't just randomly explore because all you find is empty island and skeletons

There's at least one sunken ship that sticks up you can find. There's birds flying around that hover over stuff like floating barrels for some supplies. Could be a bit more lively but we also ran into tons of other boats tonight. It was very active in that respect.

SniperGuy on

Yeah, given the fact that it's less of an exploration game and more of a multiplayer match I think I'm gonna hold off until I can try it for $10 (via the XBox monthly pass or whatever) instead of $60.

I feel pretty confident that I would have fun with it but doubt I could get a regular crew together, so I'll just gaze longingly at the art style for now.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    From what I was reading on the subreddit, the consensus was that it was a beautiful and fun, but ultimately pretty shallow game. They were saying that ultimately, there's not a lot to do, most of the quests are the same thing over and over, that there's not much meaningful progression outside of cosmetics, PvP is pretty limited by 4 boats per session, and it's hard to engage with runners, etc. Since I trust PA more than reddit, what are your guys' takes on that?

Simpsonia wrote: »
    From what I was reading on the subreddit, the consensus was that it was a beautiful and fun, but ultimately pretty shallow game. They were saying that ultimately, there's not a lot to do, most of the quests are the same thing over and over, that there's not much meaningful progression outside of cosmetics, PvP is pretty limited by 4 boats per session, and it's hard to engage with runners, etc. Since I trust PA more than reddit, what are your guys' takes on that?
    I'm not sure if there's only 4 boats per session. We were having no problems finding boats to fight last night and more than once could see two other ships besides are own at the same time. It is hard to catch up with runners but if you can sail better than they can you can do it.

I'm not sure how much we can judge how much there is to do yet. They've shown a lot of content that is not in this beta, two more quest givers for one. There's only the one quest giver in the beta right now as far as I know and the missions are fairly simple (Go to island, solve riddle/find X on map, dig there, get treasure!) but still fun, and some of them are multipart so you end up carrying several treasure chests around at once. I also haven't ranked up a ton and done really high level missions if those exist.

Meaningful progression does seem to largely be cosmetics but there at least a few things that are cool upgrades or alternative gear, like the Blunderbuss. The beta to me feels like an actual beta and not one of those demos that companies have been doing so I'm pretty hopeful that the added content will keep me happy for a while and it feels like a great foundation to keep adding things too.

Plus we've seen a kraken in preview footage so I definitely want to see that happen.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Trudging through the salty sea, I saw this response:
    The game itself is still really fun, yeah, but this is the point at which they're showing it off to non-insider people for the first time - people who pre-ordered. You can argue that it's 'only a beta' all you want but it's a public beta which rightly or wrongly means 'demo' in this day & age, and the pre-order players are wanting to see what they're getting for their money. It's extremely puzzling for rare to start removing major chunks of the game at that same point. They're also upsetting the alpha players by making the game essentially go backwards, some bells & whistles aside.

Could you elaborate?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    there is only 1 quest giver on each island for example, right now all we can do is dig up treasure chests. That is going backwards, but for me I don't even care about the quests, the pvp is bloody fun and sailing around to find others is what I prefer to do.

Trudging through the salty sea, I saw this response:
    The game itself is still really fun, yeah, but this is the point at which they're showing it off to non-insider people for the first time - people who pre-ordered. You can argue that it's 'only a beta' all you want but it's a public beta which rightly or wrongly means 'demo' in this day & age, and the pre-order players are wanting to see what they're getting for their money. It's extremely puzzling for rare to start removing major chunks of the game at that same point. They're also upsetting the alpha players by making the game essentially go backwards, some bells & whistles aside.

Could you elaborate?

It's a closed beta, not a public beta. It's still a beta and just because Rare is actually using the term correctly compared to how everyone else uses it (As "demo") these days, I don't think it's fair to dock them points for that. Frankly, seeing that they're actually using the beta to direct testing towards certain areas (only one quest giver so more people doing those quests) makes me more positive for the game because they've clearly got a plan for it.

I saw someone compare it to No Man's Sky and I have to say as someone who felt utterly betrayed by No Man's Sky and returned it within the steam refund window, this doesn't feel anything like that. What's here is a blast to play and they've clearly got more they haven't revealed yet based on the videos they've put out themselves. The core of the gameplay is still going to be "sail boat around and get treasure and pvp other people trying to take your treasure" but I think there's enough window dressing present currently and in the wings to make me excited.

Also if you are on Xbox the Xbox Game Pass will include this so that should be a nice boon for keeping the game populated even for people who don't want to pay full price.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Ah, okay. Doesn't seem that bad.

As far as running goes, isn't that essentially how naval combat works, especially with wind propelled ships and/or Rebel star cruisers?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Ah, okay. Doesn't seem that bad.

As far as running goes, isn't that essentially how naval combat works, especially with wind propelled ships and/or Rebel star cruisers?

Yeah pretty much, it's gonna be tricky to catch up to someone in the exact same boat heading the same way you are unless you can kinda figure out where they're going and maybe follow the wind and cut them off. It works better if you catch people at an island, or trying to get back to an outpost, but they can always jump off the boat and run to turn stuff in.

I am kind of tempted to try hanging out near the tent and ambushing people right before they turn stuff in.

edited January 2018
    I couldn't resist how beautiful the water is and pre-ordered. I've probably watched like 5 hours of this thing over the last couple of days.

I also tried to unlink everything from my current Microsoft account and start using my old one (since that's the one my Surfpossum gamertag is on) so I look forward to suddenly being locked out of my computer or something.

e: as a heads up, apparently the closed beta thing is broken and inaccessible, a fix should be rolling out and up tomorrow sometime I guess?

Surfpossum on
    @TheKoolEagle and I played a bit tonight and managed our best piracy yet, sinking these guys: https://clips.twitch.tv/BlitheBigKathyTheRinger

and coming away with all 5 of their treasure chests. We're terrible. It was awesome.

jN3fKDg.png?1

It seems I may have screwed myself out of a day of closed beta by preordering last night instead of today, since preorders starting now should have access but prior to now may need to wait "upwards of 24 hours" for the fix to hit. Closed beta extended to the end of the month, tho.

I'll be trying again in a couple of hours to see if I can get in.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    There, now I've been murdered by some random shits who did a sail-by while I was diving down to a shipwreck. :+1:

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Is there any pre-order incentive? This seems like potential discord/wang fun times.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay