As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sea of Thieves] PvP Pirate Simulator

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    How are some of these Pirates so bad at Pirating? Yesterday, I was doing some gold hoarders solo, I had a Captain's chest, a couple of seafarers and a couple of castaway's, when I noticed I'd been spotted by a Galleon. With some manoeuvring I managed to stay slightly ahead of them on the way to an outpost. I grabbed by Captain's Chest and headed straight for the pier, I didn't even bother to throw my anchor down, I just jumped off to turn in my most valuable treasure. Well, when I got back I saw my boat sort of sailing off as I somewhat expected, and while I was swimming out to get to my mermaid which was like a mile away from the island, I saw their ship shoot mine, and then ram full onto it and I figured "I better get back to fight them for my stuff!" After it took like 5 minutes to load me onto my ship I appeared in thin air over the ocean, where my ship had surely sunk. I was too late to save my treasure, and the Galleon was nowhere in sight. So I started to swim down and... saw all of my treasure chests just sinking. They hadn't taken a single goddamned one. So I grabbed a Seafarer's Chest and swam all the way back to the outpost. I could not believe that they had gotten so close to my ship, had, in fact, crashed into it, and had somehow failed to board it and take everything.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    talking about folks being bad at pirating, the folks we fought last night were not the best with their cannons. if you saw the middle deck of our ship you'd wonder how the thing was still holding together. just covered in holes, only a few of them actually patched up. the lower deck though, while not untouched was in much better shape most of the time. this is really what we owe most of our victories too. so remember folks, when you've got a shot on an enemy ship, try to hit close to the water line. the lower you hit the better.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

(A planned 30 min fort turned into a four hour running battle, sinking total five galleons and four sloops. When we sunk one, another arrived and once we had sunk that, the other had sailed back. Then we were chased by what felt like the entire server. Eventually getting that treasure was the biggest sense of victory I have ever had.)

When we finally turned in the Fort Chest and Skull, I sat back in my chair and finally relaxed. Relaxing my shoulders and back made me realize I had been tensed up the entire time. Getting that actual victory after hours of conflict, intrigue, and chase was the best feeling.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    That sounded so cool and I'm sorry I missed it.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    talking about folks being bad at pirating, the folks we fought last night were not the best with their cannons. if you saw the middle deck of our ship you'd wonder how the thing was still holding together. just covered in holes, only a few of them actually patched up. the lower deck though, while not untouched was in much better shape most of the time. this is really what we owe most of our victories too. so remember folks, when you've got a shot on an enemy ship, try to hit close to the water line. the lower you hit the better.

If/when this game starts modeling damage to masts (since you can already be killed on the deck by cannon balls), it's going to completely change naval combat.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

If/when this game starts modeling damage to masts (since you can already be killed on the deck by cannon balls), it's going to completely change naval combat.

What’s happening here is that the primary tactic people use, and the one you see put forward as “the best” on reddit on the like is to fire cannons onto the gun deck to kill the crew so you can board to anchor them and prevent them fixing.

The issue is this only works on bad crews you can catch. Galleon to galleon combat has both ships equally manevourable so as long as the you opponent makes movement thier priority you cannot get close enough to do this. At this point it’s a war of attrition of who can land the most below deck hits to drain planks, and who can conserve the most ammo.

You can see this in the many many PA battles I’ve had. Our crew of players, now fairly regular names, are all on voip, all experienced and all know what we’re doing. We’re able to keep range, land solid consistent below water hits, recognise when shots are too difficult to be worth the ammo, and maintain correct sails and position.

Earlier in the same day when @hullaballo was playing with us we engaged a galleon that failed to land a single below line hit on us, largely because they failed to recognise that we were too good to catch and kept firing too high as a result.

Tl:DR People do this because it’s a tactic that crushes bad teams, gets crushed by good teams in turn.

• Options
    Patch Notes

one known issue in particular stands out after last nights adventure.
    Pirates can be migrated to another server after completing a Skeleton Fort, and sailing away with the Vault Key. After migration, they will find that the vault is empty upon their return.
    We are working on a fix. A short term solution is to not sail away from the Skeleton Fort when you have the Vault Key.

that certainly would have added an interesting twist to our tale.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Once you have the key, you are committed. :p

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I am simultaneously glad that I logged out when I did yet annoyed that I missed all that.

The irony is with a 4th person we would of not sunk the first time and would be been able to do it pretty easily.

We had max planks and over 200 cannonballs.

I'm sorry I... I...

I FAILED THE CREW

*Walks the plank in bitter tears*

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    I am simultaneously glad that I logged out when I did yet annoyed that I missed all that.

The irony is with a 4th person we would of not sunk the first time and would be been able to do it pretty easily.

We had max planks and over 200 cannonballs.

I'm sorry I... I...

I FAILED THE CREW

*Walks the plank in bitter tears*

aww there's no need for that.

not when we have a perfectly good brig sitting empty. :p

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Wait, what? You migrate across servers while sailing? So the instance thing doesn't really matter or, how does that work?

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Wait, what? You migrate across servers while sailing? So the instance thing doesn't really matter or, how does that work?

It doesn't happen all the time; it's just a thing that *can* happen. Some type of server balancing I presume (keeping the right number of players in each instance or whatever).

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

It doesn't happen all the time; it's just a thing that *can* happen. Some type of server balancing I presume (keeping the right number of players in each instance or whatever).

You also see a popup that tells you when youve moved servers, so its not like its an event that can happen unbeknownst to you.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I wonder what's keeping them from doing it more frequently besides latency issues and server load.

• Options
    edited April 2018

I wonder what's keeping them from doing it more frequently besides latency issues and server load.

Probably for reasons like the bug above. It would suck to get a key or hide something or see some loot and plan on going back only to move servers and ruin all of it.

I'm glad they don't migrate all that often.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Patch Notes

Pirates can be migrated to another server after completing a Skeleton Fort, and sailing away with the Vault Key. After migration, they will find that the vault is empty upon their return.
    We are working on a fix. A short term solution is to not sail away from the Skeleton Fort when you have the Vault Key.

The most important thing about this is actually the nerf to the blunderbuss, which is needed honestly.

Good thing I’ve been telling you all the pistol is better for a while because now it’s much much better.

• Options
    Patch Notes

The most important thing about this is actually the nerf to the blunderbuss, which is needed honestly.

Good thing I’ve been telling you all the pistol is better for a while because now it’s much much better.

I'm curious how much better the sniper is.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone's ever hit me with the sniper rifle. A little sad the blunderbuss is getting nerfed but it probably shouldn't have been able to one hit kill people quite so easily anyway. The pistol is tricky to actually hit with though so dunno if I'll switch, depends on how much more damage it is I suppose. The blunderbuss is the perfect thing for those close quarters on the ships.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's ever hit me with the sniper rifle. A little sad the blunderbuss is getting nerfed but it probably shouldn't have been able to one hit kill people quite so easily anyway. The pistol is tricky to actually hit with though so dunno if I'll switch, depends on how much more damage it is I suppose. The blunderbuss is the perfect thing for those close quarters on the ships.

I worry a bit because right now the blunderbuss is the only thing keeping people from just swording all the time. If the Blunder can't OHK, then most people are just gonna sword since there won't really be any counter to it, besides another sword.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    The knockback on the blunderbuss is still gonna be pretty important for repelling boarders; there were probably a few too many situations where somebody managed to snap off a blunderbuss shot and basically win the fight for their side. I think we'll see more swords in combat, but I also think the guns will still play a huge role (getting that first shot or taking advantage of any distance).

I do need to start using the cutlass more (against players) to get a better feel for it. I always seem incapable of doing damage, while anyone using it against me cuts me down before I can react.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Last night we got tore up on a galleon by the same sloop about 4 times. Maybe 5. It was rough, I should’ve got their names.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    Last night we got tore up on a galleon by the same sloop about 4 times. Maybe 5. It was rough, I should’ve got their names.

A really good 2 man sloop is a challenge for a 3 man galleon.

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    The knockback on the blunderbuss is still gonna be pretty important for repelling boarders; there were probably a few too many situations where somebody managed to snap off a blunderbuss shot and basically win the fight for their side. I think we'll see more swords in combat, but I also think the guns will still play a huge role (getting that first shot or taking advantage of any distance).

I do need to start using the cutlass more (against players) to get a better feel for it. I always seem incapable of doing damage, while anyone using it against me cuts me down before I can react.

This is why I like the blunderbuss nerf, because as it was it made the cutlass almost useless and I want more pirate sword fights.

Realising that if you use the lunge whilst blocking you can still move was a game changer.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I still maintain the was something fishy going on. No pirate should still be standing after three point blank shots with the current blunderbuss.

• Options

I still maintain the was something fishy going on. No pirate should still be standing after three point blank shots with the current blunderbuss.

I really hope this isn't going Battlegrounds on PC. There's network flukes (and possibly exploiting them?), and then there's cheating.

• Options
    There are cheats going on in the game, yeah, so its possible thats a thing that happened.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    The available cheats that I have seen after a quick googling are all aimbot type stuff/visual indications, nothing about invincibility.

Not that it isn't possibly out there, but I suspect (having been in a couple such situations) that it's either some kind of lag or (in the case of swimming with gunpowder barrels) some kind of glitch/reduced damage due to them being underwater.

• Options
    There is an invincibility glitch. Sadly.

• Options
    I imagine that will get patched pretty sharpish. Rare seem to be prioritising bug fixes over everything currently.

At least even if a player is invincible the ship isn’t, and whilst harder the boat is 100% more important.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    It's apparently not widespread enough for me to find it. Unless you just mean that players have become invincible, in which case yeah that can happen, but as long as it's not a reproducible glitch it shouldn't become a widespread problem.

In other news, my googling had me stumble across Metacritic again and gosh, players continue to be just the worst. You'd think Rare was literally trying to steal $60 from them by offering a free trial.

• Options
    It's apparently not widespread enough for me to find it. Unless you just mean that players have become invincible, in which case yeah that can happen, but as long as it's not a reproducible glitch it shouldn't become a widespread problem.

In other news, my googling had me stumble across Metacritic again and gosh, players continue to be just the worst. You'd think Rare was literally trying to steal $60 from them by offering a free trial.

there is a reproduceable invincibility glitch. I really don't want to outline it here for obvious reasons.

• Options
    The available cheats that I have seen after a quick googling are all aimbot type stuff/visual indications, nothing about invincibility.

Not that it isn't possibly out there, but I suspect (having been in a couple such situations) that it's either some kind of lag or (in the case of swimming with gunpowder barrels) some kind of glitch/reduced damage due to them being underwater.

We did run into something and we were wondering how it happened. Sailing at their sloop, we got boarded by one of them about a mile away from their ship with a gunpowder barrel. I’m not sure how they pulled that off.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

We did run into something and we were wondering how it happened. Sailing at their sloop, we got boarded by one of them about a mile away from their ship with a gunpowder barrel. I’m not sure how they pulled that off.

If you were chasing them, then that's super easy to do. If you were each going at each other, then yeah, I don't know how they did that.

• Options
    edited April 2018

If you were chasing them, then that's super easy to do. If you were each going at each other, then yeah, I don't know how they did that.

Other way, we were sailing at their parked sloop after getting a new ship to get close enough to engage and someone got on our ship with gunpowder. I think Elf tried to get in one of our cannons with gunpowder to see if it’s possible to shoot yourself with it, but it didn’t work.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Could be some kind of animation cancelling method. pick up/drop the barrel while you're entering the cannon? They different key presses? IDK.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    There is apparently a glitch on the sloops that launches you through the hull, and it works when you're holding something.

They've already patched similar collision based stuff, so I expect this shouldn't be around too long either. Sending it in just in case they're not yet aware of it, tho.

• Options
    So turns out there are some undocumented changes in the patch.

Blunderbuss nerf applies to skeletons too.
    Skeleton accuracy has dropped.
    The helmsmen on the ship of the dead now looks at you.
    You can now refill grog at a chest of a thousand grogs.

More specifics on weapon changes.
    Eye of reach now deals about 80% player damage. Can now one shot blue skeletons,
    Blunderbuss can still oneshot but it requires every single pellet to hit, effectively meaning it has to be used point blank (rather than vaguely in front). Previously it was about 7 pellets for a kill. (It fires 10).

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

Never turning it in ever again

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options

Never turning it in ever again

You will after the first time it makes your ship sink not unlike the chest of sorrows.

(Return it to the dark depths. Arrrrr.)

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    How, as an Xbox player, am I supposed to be able to invite PC people? OG was able to join me in progress but I couldn't send an invite from the 'gather your crew' screen.

Also, doing various quests, it's funny to have the dug up reward be a basic sea chest while a captain's chest just happens to be lying around.

Xbox Live: Jefe414