As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sea of Thieves] PvP Pirate Simulator

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Who are these people who can do this stuff unmolested?

I get two Captains Chests on board and immediately suffer the wrath of two galleons, four sloops, the Kraken and Neptune himself in ten seconds.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah i'm not sure i could ever amass that amount of treasure. hell, i get a fucking chicken on board and i start getting nervous.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I don't know much about this game so I don't know what kind of emotes or whatever it has going on, but it's criminal that they're not all standing with arms crossed in that screenshot.

• Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Yeah I am perplexed at these massive hauls some are getting. I mean, I know going mostly solo limits me, but I get one quest done with two chest and I go back immediately to an outpost to cash in before even trying anything else, and that usually involves me being chased and throwing the chests onto land then trying to run them to the vendor as a galleon closes in to blow me out of the water.
    On that note (and this is going to sound like a contradiction a bit to my last statement I guess but whatever), I'm really sick of the times when people blow up my boat and don't even take what treasure I did happen to acquire. Like, I'm fine with the piracy, it's in the game's title! I am not in the slightest bit angry that pirates are hunting me down to sink me and take my stuff...it's annoying, yeah, as said above, but it's the point of the game, too. However, I don't understand the rampant murder. It's not Sea of Murderers! I mean, yes, piracy often will involve that to acquire said wealth, but what self-respecting pirate wastes time killing when they could be killing AND pillaging. It's unnatural, I say!
    I've had my boat sunk several times and the attackers just sailed away, or did that plus kill me then sail away, and then the treasure I had was still there, or the crated animals were now dead. I don't get it!

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Yeah I am perplexed at these massive hauls some are getting. I mean, I know going mostly solo limits me, but I get one quest done with two chest and I go back immediately to an outpost to cash in before even trying anything else, and that usually involves me being chased and throwing the chests onto land then trying to run them to the vendor as a galleon closes in to blow me out of the water.
    On that note (and this is going to sound like a contradiction a bit to my last statement I guess but whatever), I'm really sick of the times when people blow up my boat and don't even take what treasure I did happen to acquire. Like, I'm fine with the piracy, it's in the game's title! I am not in the slightest bit angry that pirates are hunting me down to sink me and take my stuff...it's annoying, yeah, as said above, but it's the point of the game, too. However, I don't understand the rampant murder. It's not Sea of Murderers! I mean, yes, piracy often will involve that to acquire said wealth, but what self-respecting pirate wastes time killing when they could be killing AND pillaging. It's unnatural, I say!
    I've had my boat sunk several times and the attackers just sailed away, or did that plus kill me then sail away, and then the treasure I had was still there, or the crated animals were now dead. I don't get it!

It’s actually a pain to spot treasure sometimes when you sink a ship, maybe they just miss it? Either way if you get the jump on a sloop as a galleon you should be stripping it for supplies.

• Options
    Yeah, on the occasions that I've sunk another vessel I've had to set up a routine of sailing slightly AWAY from the wreck to avoid being boarded by disgruntled victims, then go BACK to the approximate site of the wreck and circle 2-3 times scanning for chests, then jump in the ocean and look up towards the surface for another perspective.

A big cluster of birds like those that appear over the RNG wrecks would be welcome.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

It’s actually a pain to spot treasure sometimes when you sink a ship, maybe they just miss it? Either way if you get the jump on a sloop as a galleon you should be stripping it for supplies.

At least on twitch, that's how people have been playing since the second beta.

They're just after the "fights*", not the treasure. They just sail around sinking boats (regardless if they're occupied) and killing people

*For certain definitions of "fight"

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Had a decent solo run today.

Did a couple of Gold Hoarder Voyages, along with finding some well endowed sunken wrecks. Made some decent money, but two events stand out.

As I made my way across the Sea, I kept encountering the same one-man sloop. We kept spamming 'Ahoy There!' as we passed one another. Eventually I came to an outpost to sell my loot and just as I finish selling up my screen is flooded with 'Ahoy There! Ahoy There! Ahoy There! Ahoy There!'. Here was my friend, here to cash in some loot on his own. I started playing some music on the pier to indicate that I was friendly, and he seemed to take that well enough.

He then proceeded to lift a Captains Chest from his hold and plonked it down directly in front of me. I'm not sure why this is, but I feel like it was some kind of test of good faith. I could have easily pulled out the blunderbuss and taken him out, and just cashed in the chest there for some easy money. For a moment I was sorely tempted, but I refrained. A few moments passed before he picked up the chest and took it to be sold, along with the rest of his treasure. We then spent a minute or two playing instruments together before a third sloop pulled up unnoticed. This sloop also happened to be friendly, as it's captain immediately joined us in our musical interlude. A FOURTH sloop then pulled up and lo and behold, it was also friendly. We all just spent a few minutes drinking together and dicking around, all without saying a single word to one another. I even got the achievement for drinking with another crew at an outpost, which is one I didn't think I would ever get, certainly not alone.

I am full of regret that I didn't think to record a video or at the very least take a few screenshots to mark the occasion, I was just caught up in the moment. It was almost magical.

The second incident is more along the lines of what you would expect from this game. I had just finished up treasure hunting on a particular island, pulling away with a fairly reasonable haul consisting of a couple of Captains Chests and a few others, when I see a sloop fast approaching on an intercept course. I noticed them too late to make any serious distance, and with there being two of them to only one of me, I was being out-sailed. My next best option was to try a sort of fighting retreat. I'd swing around in a circle, make them miss a few shots, patch up any they didn't, then attempt to high-tail it once the wind was at my back again. This process lasted for about 20-25 minutes before they managed to successfully board me and kill me. By the time I got back to the ship they had looted a few of my chests, but had failed to actually hinder my ship. I promptly dispatched the remaining boarder and gave myself a little distance before deciding to make a proper fight of it. They already had my most valuable stuff, it's their fight to lose now.

I managed to get in a few hits but, more importantly, I made them use the majority of their supplies, as made evident by their sudden change to ramming tactics. I fended off two boarding attempts before falling to the third. By the time I got back to my ship all but a pair of castaway chests were gone, and the ship was being driven directly into a rock formation. I managed to kill the saboteur, but not in another time to avert disaster. The ship collided with the rock, but at the side, rather than head on, thanks to my last minute intervention. This allowed me to maintain some momentum, and forced the foe to continue the chase. The chase itself, however, was functionally over. My vessel had taken damage I had not the planks to repair, with the enemy on my tail intent on either making sure they got everything, even the worthless castaways I still held, or just finishing me off for the spite.

The true spite was mine to be had however, and I bet they were wishing they had left me well enough alone by this point.

My ship was sinking, there was no helping that, once I died once more I was out of the fight for good. Despite this, I wasn't letting these bastard have it so easy. Somehow I managed to leap from my ship without them noticing. I stayed well under the water until their sloop glided above me. I grabbed on to the ladder at the last possible second and just held on, waiting a few moments for the gun barrel to arrive at the top, but it never did. I leapt onto the deck and sure enough, I hadn't been noticed. I pulled out my blunderbuss and made a bloody painting on the canvas of their helm. The second had been below, and rushed up to join the scuffle. I danced around him with my sword, slashing at his back, he turned, I leapt behind and slashed again. Both of them were dead, and there was only one thing I could think to do. One by one, I dumped their hard fought STOLEN booty into the ocean behind me. As I dropped the final chest, the first enemy respawned, and I won the fight. His mate respawned, and I dispatched of him much the same as before.

I checked their supplies. They were low, VERY low.

I took all of their cannon balls. I took all their planks. I scoffed down all their bananas after somehow defeating them both a third time. I then aimed their ship at the nearest rock formation and logged out of the game.

Some say their screams can still be heard among the rocks.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    New Patch notes are out!

Find the full list here: https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes

Todays' patch featured a bunch of both gameplay improvements on top of the bug fixes, and there are a couple that are definitely worth bringing to everyone's attention.
    This Seat is Taken - Players now have two crew type options available to them, Open and Closed Crews.
    Open Crews: This option works in the same way you’re used to. For the Galleon, an open crew will match four players together while also replacing players who leave during a game. For the Sloop, two players will be matched together, with a leaving player being replaced when possible.

Closed Crews: This option allows a single player to begin a game on either a Galleon or a Sloop, allowing friends to join in when they’re available. You can now play with any configuration of players up to the limit on each ship, which is 4 players on the Galleon and 2 players on the Sloop, as well as preventing non-friends from being able to join you. This option replaces the 3 player Galleon and Solo Sloop options in the Main Menu.

Coming Soon: Additional functionality coming soon for Open and Closed Crews includes the ability to dynamically switch between Open and Closed while in the game, in addition to being able to make a session fully private by preventing friends joining.

As someone who plays solo as much as he does with another person, this means a lot. Now if I go solo I don't have to abandon my sloop full of supplies to a friends game. Likewise, if I or the friend disconnect, we do not have to worry about their space being filled by a random before they re-connect.

Here, take this! - Imagine the scene, skeletons surround your crew, your crew-mate has been bitten by a snake, they have no bananas and there are no resource barrels in sight! Now you can help them CRONCH their way to full health by handing them a banana! This also works with wooden planks and cannon balls. You helpful pirate you!

This is just generally helpful.

Who Goes There? - When swimming underwater, gamertag and Player Titles are no longer visible. Now you can #BeMoresneakyPirate!

This is a MAJOR game changer. Sneaking aboard another players ship is no longer a crapshoot of whether or not they actually bothered to look at the water after you jumped in. Now you've gotta keep a very cautious eye/ear for those ladders.

Strike Gold - As Pirates rank up with the Gold Hoarders and Order of Souls trading companies, the chances of finding more valuable rewards has been increased. Say good-bye to those Castaway Chests at higher ranks!

YEEEEESSSSSSS. I have complained about this for so long, so often. Nothing irks me more than grinding up Gold Hoarders over a long time to higher levels, paying for a promotion, paying a higher price for Voyages, having these new, more expensive voyages give you a 4-5 stage riddle, and have the end of the riddle reward you with a Castaway chest worth 37 gold! (So, so many times)

The Brayster on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    These are all great changes. +1

• Options
    Here, take this! - Imagine the scene, skeletons surround your crew, your crew-mate has been bitten by a snake, they have no bananas and there are no resource barrels in sight! Now you can help them CRONCH their way to full health by handing them a banana! This also works with wooden planks and cannon balls. You helpful pirate you!

This is just generally helpful.

this has had to be removed due to unspecified issues. everything else seems to be working as intended though.

also we should get a trailer for the first major content update sometime this week. looking forward to that.

• Options
    looks like pretty much everything from todays update is broken. :(

hopefully they get things fixed and can put the changes back into the game soon as possible.

• Options
    Ouch.

Well, the improved loot feature seems to be remaining at least. I can certainly confirm it seemed to be working as intended when I was playing earlier. Did a few Gold Hoarders Voyages, never went worse than Seafarer, and I feel like I had more Captains Chests than I normally would have.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Rare seems to be having teething troubles getting to grips with this whole 'agile development' thing, then.
    Move fast and break things, yarrr. :P

Certainly they need to find a way to test patches a bit better before deploying them.

• Options
    we were promised a trailer for The Hungering Deep this week, and it looks like it'll debut on this months Inside Xbox.

• Options
    look at them being all coy about the trailer dropping...

...and then Xbox just blurting it out like its nothing. :P

• Options
    edited May 2018
    teaser and date for Hungering Deep. May 29th! also confirmed as the first of six updates planned for this year.

EDIT: Youtuve version

https://youtu.be/2VeJD0SY4jc

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    The salty comments on that video “they didn’t tell us what it is!”

When they 100% do (big ole shark, seems to be summoned by shanty’s) but don’t spell it out like a list. I would rather they be coy about the content so there’s some sense of adventure when it drops, rather than immediately becoming “well better grind the megaladon”.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'd rather have these hear-say figure out what the content is for this sort of game anyways. It makes it more of an adventure and less, go try this new content.

That being said, given how broken this latest patch was, I think I'm gonna wait a week til after the content drops to reinstall.

• Options
    talking about figuring things out, this is a neat little find.

and there's this big boy too.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    That thing is GIANT

• Options
    some more tweaks and updates due tomorrow.

and last chance to grab the Launch Crew sniper.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I never would have thought to use chests in this way (not that I could get that many, really):

AGcZ4pG.jpg

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    How'd they even get high enough to take that screenshot?

• Options
    honestly, i'm more impressed at how precisely they were able to place everything. i have trouble putting just one item exactly where i want it.

• Options
    How'd they even get high enough to take that screenshot?
    Shoot self out of a cannon, look down, make a video, screen-grab a frame.

Or some of the islands have high cliffs that overlook beaches. But it was probably using a cannon.

• Options
    Maybe a cannon on a high cliff. That seems really high, I didn't think you could shoot that high from a boat.

• Options
    and The Hungering Deep gets its own page of the Sea of Thieves site.
    SOMETHING STIRS IN THE DEEP… JOIN THE HUNT WHILE YOU CAN!
    The Hungering Deep is here, the first of Sea of Thieves' free content updates! A range of permanent new game features are rising from the depths, introduced by a special time-limited campaign.

Coming May 29th, follow the trail of riddles and rumours to piece together what happened to 'Merry' Merrick, the proud owner of a pair of matching peg legs. Along the way, discover new features like the drum, ship's flags, speaking trumpet (for shouting at other pirates) and selectable tattoos and scars (for looking good while shouting at other pirates)!

These items will remain in-game but the campaign is only around for a limited time, so join the hunt now to experience The Hungering Deep in full and earn exclusive rewards that only those who unravel Merrick's tale can enjoy. Perhaps a new arrival in your nearest tavern can set you on the trail…

Tattoos and Scars! The Hungering Deep expands the vanity chest: choose your tattoos and scars to tell your own pirate story.

finally!! i was completely baffled as to why tattoos weren't an option for customization. little disappointed that they don't seem to be adding a tattoo shop/artist but i'll get over it. some day...

and the tease of the new figurehead gives a hint at the monster we'll encountering.

• Options
  • Options
    here's a couple of the devs talking about their plans for content updates and the weekly events that will bridge the gaps between them.

https://youtu.be/3c3yvWM9xJU

• Options
    God I can’t wait for hungering deep. Dropped off this for a bit to play battletech and Conan, but I’ll be back on the waves for this.

• Options
    God I can’t wait for hungering deep. Dropped off this for a bit to play battletech and Conan, but I’ll be back on the waves for this.

i think most dropped it for a bit judging by how quiet the seas have been this past week.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

i think most dropped it for a bit judging by how quiet the seas have been this past week.

Yeah, the sea levels have risen from my tears of loneliness!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll definitely be checking this update out, sounds pretty great.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Took a galleon to a skull fort today... wound up fighting with two sloops, one of which was manned by a pair of pretty capable pirates and managed to sink us. I got to hang out on the island and harass them for a bit while our galleon returned, after which another galleon joined the fray.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see how it all ended since I had to head out, but it was easily the most intense fighting that I'd been in so far (with people swimming explosives around and boarding each other and taking over turrets) and I am looking forward to more of them.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Rare's Twitter says Hungering Deep is now live. Don't get eaten!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Rare's Twitter says Hungering Deep is now live. Don't get eaten!

jumped in a 5 minutes for a quick look at the more immediate changes. talked to a Bilge Rat in the tavern and bought some tattoos!

• Options
    So me and @Hullabaloo completed merricks quest.
    completing it gets you the speaking horn and the drum. We then tried to summon and battle the shark. To summon it you have to play merricks shanty in T26. The trick here is two fold. You need 5 people playing it to summon it, so at least 2 crews. Secondly merricks shanty can only be played by him. You have to play along with merrick, and then “carry” the shanty over, playing it constantly as you go.

The shark is huge, and a big improvement on the Kraken. It sunk our three ship fleet, and hits very hard, 5 holes on the sloop. It’s also fast and low to the water so difficult to hit. It makes attack runs on the boats where it’s mouth is exposed. Doing enough damage seemed to interrupt its attacks.

It does take damage from guns and explosives.

If you are on the deck of a sloop when it bites it’s almost guarnteed to knock you off. It will take over half your health in one hit.

It does not despawn if you sink, you can sail back to re-engage.

We didn’t kill it. At least 15 cannon hits, a bomb and plenty of gunshots, plus whatever the other boats got in.

• Options
    completing it gets you the speaking horn and the drum. We then tried to summon and battle the shark. To summon it you have to play merricks shanty in T26. The trick here is two fold. You need 5 people playing it to summon it, so at least 2 crews. Secondly merricks shanty can only be played by him. You have to play along with merrick, and then “carry” the shanty over, playing it constantly as you go.

The shark is huge, and a big improvement on the Kraken. It sunk our three ship fleet, and hits very hard, 5 holes on the sloop. It’s also fast and low to the water so difficult to hit. It makes attack runs on the boats where it’s mouth is exposed. Doing enough damage seemed to interrupt its attacks.

If you are on the deck of a sloop when it bites it’s almost guarnteed to knock you off. It will take over half your health in one hit.

We didn’t kill it. At least 15 cannon hits, a bomb and plenty of gunshots, plus whatever the other boats got in.

i got everything done up to this point. look forward to crewing up and taking down the beast in the coming days.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

i got everything done up to this point. look forward to crewing up and taking down the beast in the coming days.

I’ll be on over the weekend, so seems like a good time to try.

Kinda intresting you need another crew. The crews we ended up with were errrrr....not good. I feel like two competent ships can probably deal with it easily.