As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sea of Thieves] PvP Pirate Simulator

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    its new update day! and you know what that means...

...surprise Matt Berry!

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Bought Sea of Thieves for half off. Preparing for the new update that adds a new mode called Arena.

Arena is supposed to help revive the game and give it more meaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVYP0qhz030

Can't wait for this to launch. Coming early this year.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Rather than read 28 pages, I'm hoping you fine folks can help me.

I work in the sailing industry, and have captained more than a few nautical miles. Every time I watch people play this game I find myself muttering, "if you'd just strike the mainsail and come to irons you'd present your broadside!", "jibe wide you bastard come up to the winds edge!", "IT'S PORT!"

I'm on PC, is there an active community there? Is there a boat looking for a rig runner to keep things trim? This game looks super fun, but I don't have any online friends anymore, so would be looking to crew.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The player base is certainly less than where it was when the game was released, but I would say there's probably a community there still. Otherwise they wouldn't be pushing more material out. The Arena promises to bring some more players back in.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The player base is certainly less than where it was when the game was released, but I would say there's probably a community there still. Otherwise they wouldn't be pushing more material out. The Arena promises to bring some more players back in.

There's absolutely a community--I barely play the game, but the likelihood of running into another ship (for better or worse) seems barely different than the first month after the game launch. You can only chalk up so much of that to matchmaking.

My theory is that it has to do with Gamepass--which is how I keep returning to the game anyway. The last pirate game I actually purchased was Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge in HD.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The community for sea of thieves is real dedicated. The game is very much for a niche audience but that audience really gets it.

You’ll find crews going generally on the weekend on the PA discord, always space on the crew.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    had to dig deep to find this one. but got a good reason for bringing it back, a bonus rep and gold weekend!

From 11am GMT on Friday to 11am GMT on Monday, all players will earn a huge boost in gold and reputation rewards simply by delivering their spoils to the Trading Companies. Yes, you'll get far more gold and glory for the same amount of work, thanks to the Companies deciding that it's time to bring in fresh blood and dish out some pirate promotions (they're always trying to one-up each other). All you need to do to profit from this is take to the Sea of Thieves while the event is live, cashing in chests, skulls and other trade goods as normal!

might be time to finally get that Pirate Legend achievement.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Looks like they're finally adding fishing in the next update too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbTaMStHIM

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    What's the point? Final Fantasy XV already has the best fishing in a video game ever.

(I'm joking, it's a welcome addition. It'd be awesome to have an alternative to bananas too.)

edited April 2019
    Sea of thieves is getting a giant update. There are going to be harpoons, fishing, and the arena soon.

I think its supposed to be released on the 30th of this month. Part of an 'Anniversary Update'.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The Harpoon alone is going to be a huge gamechanger

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    Sea of thieves is getting a giant update. There are going to be levels, fishing, and the arena soon.

I think its supposed to be released on the 30th of this month. Part of an 'Anniversary Update'.

Levels? What's that mean?

SniperGuy wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    Sea of thieves is getting a giant update. There are going to be levels, fishing, and the arena soon.

Levels? What's that mean?

I think maybe they are talking about this?
    A GRAND ADVENTURE TO THE SHORES OF GOLD

Tall Tales - Shores of Gold introduces a new epic storyline to the world of Sea of Thieves, delving deeper into the lore of our favourite pirate paradise. Follow a series of narrative adventures surrounding existing and all-new characters, taking you to undiscovered places and revealing surprising new gameplay features.

Fans of the expanded game universe will recognise some of the iconic characters and locations in Shores of Gold, yet this is only the beginning of a series of Tall Tales that will allow players to immerse themselves in the legends of Sea of Thieves.

Fixed. I thought there was a way to level up to pirate legend. They were talking about it in the video. There were 3 ways to level up to legend.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited April 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp1w5V_tLIY

yooooooo, this looks amazing

edit: also here's a Q&A related to Tall Tales:
    Q: Can you play quests out of order?

A: Yes if you have completed them all, and or if one of your friends have completed ones you don't have yet

Q: Are tales locked?

A: Yes, they have to be done in order to unlock the next one.

Q: Cut-scenes in the missions?

A: Yes, but control isn't taken away.

Q: If you die, where do you respawn?

A: You will respawn normally

Q: Can other pirates interfere?

A: Yes, but there are some protections in place, such as "randomly" choosing a free vault for you to use for example.

Q: Will constellations be incorporated into the storyline?

A: Yes

Q: Do the stories change based on level?

A: No, but they do change balance wise based on crew size

Q: Can you have a tale and quest at the same time?

A: You can have a tall-tale and quest going at the same time, there will be a "Tale book" beside your quest on the table.

Q: How will players get back and forth to the Shores of Gold?

A: Not disclosing, but the shroud-breaker plays a part.

Q: Does progress save between quests?

A: Yes.

Q: Can we go to the Shores of Gold whenever after getting the Shroud Breaker?

A: Yes, you can replay the tale as many times as you want.

Q: Can you re-read the tall-tale quest books?

A: You have to replay the quest to read them (Might be changed later to allow this?)

Q: Are the tall-tales tied to trading companies?

A: Yes...

Q: What happens if you lose/drop a quest item?

A: Dropping will let you still pick them up, if lose them then you may have to restart the quest.

Q: Will the new chests be taken away after a tale?

A: No, you can use them how you see fit.

ObiFett on
    Anniversary update hit today.

Arena, Fishing, Cooking, Harpoons, Tall Tales (detailed story campaign), Mast/Anchor/Wheel/Hole damage additions and more are all in game.

If you watch 30 Arena matches to completion, you get 6 Obsidian cosmetic items.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2019
    ATTENTION: the arena rules

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    Okay so the tall tales stuff they've added is exactly the kind of stuff I wanted from this game day one. An actual pirate adventure that goes a bit further than x marks the spot.

Pretty keen to get a full crew together and go on a grand voyage.

Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Apparently rowing as your main method of traveling between islands for like an hour or two can fuck up your wrist

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Just the food change, the overall utility and power of the harpoon, and the damage changes make this feel like a completely different game.

Combine that with the new activities of Arena, Tall Tales, and Fishing and I'd recommend anyone spending the money to buy this. It's real good fun now, especially with everything they've added over the past year.

The game looks great now. I really want to play arena, but I don't really have a group to sale with.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I will say that, now they've made food valuable and upped the time investment to get rare and unique fish and the time it takes to cook it

Food really, really should float to the surface when your ship sinks, in a barrel maybe. This would mean you could re-claim your food if your ship sinks on its own, or if you sink someone you could also take their food along with all their other treasures.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited May 2019
    I've been addicted to this damn game since the update.

Been fishing with my 5 year old. Taking her on tours where we try and get as many different fish as possible. It's so great. The serenity and beauty of the game really comes out when we're just chilling on a beach or the ship at sunset and hearing the waves break while there's a fish cooking in the background and the sounds of the reel fill the air. It can also get real challenging in storms and in devil's roar.

My 9 year old and I have been doing Tall Tales. They really outdid themselves with the Tall Tales. We've done 4 so far and they're all unique in their puzzle structure, while being hard enough to make you feel smart but not so hard i feel like I need to look up the answers online. The one we did today dealt with the constellations. It enriched the world so much with the lore. We took on a Meg and a Kraken along the way as well as dodging other pirates. By the end I felt like we had just lived a movie combination of Pirates of the Caribbean and National Treasure. There are five more and I can't wait to do them.

And then my buddies have been pulling me into Arena at night. The non-stop and intense combat without the fear of losing a session's worth of play is exactly what this game needed. The arenas are big enough to be able to maneuver and not always be in combat, but also small enough and with objectives such that 3 or 4 way Galleon battles happen often. Matches feel about the right length as well. It's real good times.

There's so much to do now in this game, I love it.

ObiFett on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

Been fishing with my 5 year old. Taking her on tours where we try and get as many different fish as possible. It's so great. The serenity and beauty of the game really comes out when we're just chilling on a beach or the ship at sunset and hearing the waves break while there's a fish cooking in the background and the sounds of the reel fill the air. It can also get real challenging in storms and in devil's roar.

My 9 year old and I have been doing Tall Tales. They really outdid themselves with the Tall Tales. We've done 4 so far and they're all unique in their puzzle structure, while being hard enough to make you feel smart but not so hard i feel like I need to look up the answers online. The one we did today dealt with the constellations. It enriched the world so much with the lore. We took on a Meg and a Kraken along the way as well as dodging other pirates. By the end I felt like we had just lived a movie combination of Pirates of the Caribbean and National Treasure. There are five more and I can't wait to do them.

And then my buddies have been pulling me into Arena at night. The non-stop and intense combat without the fear of losing a session's worth of play is exactly what this game needed. The arenas are big enough to be able to maneuver and not always be in combat, but also small enough and with objectives such that 3 or 4 way Galleon battles happen often. Matches feel about the right length as well. It's real good times.

Wait, so with the Tall Tales did they add a mode where you can just do a thing without having to worry about the good ship Randogalleon deciding to come say fuck you?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Wait, so with the Tall Tales did they add a mode where you can just do a thing without having to worry about the good ship Randogalleon deciding to come say fuck you?

No that can totally happen, it's just the rewards for the tall tales aren't really stealable I don't think. At least not from the ones I saw.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited May 2019

We steered clear of any player ships, but none really came after us either.

Tall Tales has little treasury bits during the tale you could technically lose to randogalleons and it would cause the tale to fail, but they aren't worth anything to anyone else and are easily hideable. So whenever we get off our shop we bring stuff like that with us and just stash it somewhere in case a randogalleon does come by.

But also, it feels like the adventure seas are a bit less ... ganky ... since arena hit. Like I think over the past week we've been chased once total. And even then they gave up pretty quickly. I'd like to attribute it to the fact that Arena exists and is a much better place to get quick and constant PvP activity. I know if that's what I was looking for I'd hit arena long before I tried to find randoms on the adventure seas.

ObiFett on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely less aggro, attack-first mentality after the update. In one session (with a server change), I probably passed by 3 or 4 other groups and only got attacked once at the Outpost picking up the next part of the Tall Tale

76561197966849367.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I've been super paranoid about other ships when doing the tall tales stuff with my buddy. We're doing it without any googling and some of the clues are very tough. At least, until you get them finally and then you're all, "duh".
    Anyway, some of the quests are REALLY long when you do it this way and we had horrible thoughts of finally getting our two pieces of a key (for example) only to lose them by getting sunk.

That did actually ALMOST happen. A guy came out of nowhere (maybe just chilling on the island..no ships in sight) and I caught JUST a glimpse of him running downstairs on our sloop. Thought it was my buddy but I noticed he had an explosive barrel, which I knew we didn't have. I ran down and he saw me, lit it, dropped it, and took off. I grabbed it in a panic and followed him. Managed to get mostly upstairs before it blew. It took me out but also the bad guy, but also the mast. But nothing downstairs so my buddy was able to repair by the time I was back and we got the hell out of there, post haste.

That was actually a lot of fun but I know it could have been very frustrating had the guy succeeded, assuming we lost our stuff. On the other hand, moments like this are part of why the game can be so amazing.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Thought it was my buddy but I noticed he had an explosive barrel, which I knew we didn't have. I ran down and he saw me, lit it, dropped it, and took off. I grabbed it in a panic and followed him. Managed to get mostly upstairs before it blew. It took me out but also the bad guy, but also the mast.

I don't know if you're saying you overlooked it because of panic, but in case you don't know, you can snuff out barrel fuses.

In related news, those stronghold gunpowder barrels are pretty much nuclear bombs that can annihilate a galleon in short order.

s7Imn5J.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Thought it was my buddy but I noticed he had an explosive barrel, which I knew we didn't have. I ran down and he saw me, lit it, dropped it, and took off. I grabbed it in a panic and followed him. Managed to get mostly upstairs before it blew. It took me out but also the bad guy, but also the mast.

I don't know if you're saying you overlooked it because of panic, but in case you don't know, you can snuff out barrel fuses.

In related news, those stronghold gunpowder barrels are pretty much nuclear bombs that can annihilate a galleon in short order.

Omg, seriously? I had no idea you could do that.
    Good to know, though it'd not have been as exciting an adventure if I did.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in going through some of these tall tales as a crew? None of my irl friends really latched onto sea of thieves and the new stuff looks really dope

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    KetBra wrote: »
    Would anyone be interested in going through some of these tall tales as a crew? None of my irl friends really latched onto sea of thieves and the new stuff looks really dope

I'd be down. I can't promise I'll be blind on any of them, but I can keep my mouth shut while you work through the puzzles. The final cosmetic reward for each Tall Tale is locked behind doing the Tale 5 times, so it helps me to keep doing them too

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

I'd be up for it. What finally killed my interest in the game dead was going almost a week straight trying to play solo while every night ended up getting ganked endlessly for nothing. Like people would chase me across the entire map before I could even get to my first island. So the game basically became a stocking a sloop sim.

I realized I have a whole bunch of games I can play where I don't have to deal with people wanting to murder me for literally no reason.

So I'm trying to grind out merchant rank last night doing Devil's Roar Cargo Runs. My final run has me chased by a Meg that keeps taking chomps out of my boat, while I'm getting lit up by volcano debris. I survive that nonsense and pull up next to the island I need to deliver to. I get the first item delivered safely. I get hit by a stealth geyser holding the second item and then the island starts rumbling. I get the third off my boat and come face to face with a gunpowder skeleton and die. By the time I spawn in, the Volcano is going off and sinking my ship. I get the fourth grabbed and delivered and my ship is toast before I can get back. Luckily I was planning on logging out after that run, but talk about an unfortunate series of events.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hey, is there a trial or anything available via gamepass? Someone mentioned a $3 week or similar

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    So I'm trying to grind out merchant rank last night doing Devil's Roar Cargo Runs. My final run has me chased by a Meg that keeps taking chomps out of my boat, while I'm getting lit up by volcano debris. I survive that nonsense and pull up next to the island I need to deliver to. I get the first item delivered safely. I get hit by a stealth geyser holding the second item and then the island starts rumbling. I get the third off my boat and come face to face with a gunpowder skeleton and die. By the time I spawn in, the Volcano is going off and sinking my ship. I get the fourth grabbed and delivered and my ship is toast before I can get back. Luckily I was planning on logging out after that run, but talk about an unfortunate series of events.

I had a similar amount of fun doing a treasure map out that way. Had to go to the northernmost islands. Fog rolls in to the point I can barely see the front of the sloop from the wheel, so I decide to hold at the island we're at while my buddy goes AFK. All of a sudden RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE. So I raise anchor and set sail blindly, in generally unfamiliar waters. A minute or so into it, I hear the explosion of the mountain behind me and wait... what's that? MEGALODON! Now I'm using the map to try and gauge where we are in relation to the next island, while dodging a Meg and fiery debris. I manage to get us to the next island and parked when my buddy comes back and asks "Wait... where are we, and what is that music?"

Also, I love the harpoon cannons, but I would love to have the option to swap them to a "net" cannon that would be more forgiving for snagging barrels/items/people on the go without being able to do latching or latch-point turns. If the ship is still, I can snag stuff no problem, but when moving, I think I'm 2 for 83 on barrels.

Oh and without giving any spoilers, the trickster tall tale is a jerk, and I think may be the most prone to failure of all of them so far.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hey, I'll be on Discord all day with this :+1: Would love to crew up and try Arena, too!

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    If you're doing Tall Tales, I strongly recommend getting at least one partner, preferably three, for the final part. It's soloable, but you will spend 20-60 minutes just running quest objects from place to place (unless there's something obvious I missed).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Stealing Reaper's Bounties is a wild ride. I got to the Hideaway early and set up some fairly well disguised keg booby traps. But as I was waiting another Brig shows up, except without the aid of an expertly crafted plan and a good hiding spot, and pop a mermaid on the most obvious side. And of course a storm rolls up too... and I was really worried it'd strike me and give me away. But it turned out alright in the end.

https://youtu.be/BbHutXwwoik

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Did that 2nd guy get struck by lightning?! DANG THE GODS.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos