As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the only award a [movie] should care about winning is a teen choice award

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Charles Dickensian aptonyms are just something special aren't they

Like every Sith name or Luke Skywalker

The various Harry Potter ancillary characters also have just absurdly fitting names for their various professions (newt scamander???) which I still don't know how to feel about

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I wanna eat hamburgers with Bright Noah

This bothers me so much because if they'd have just flipped the name around it would be an actual name.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I know anime is kinda cheating but I’ll always be in awe of Robert E.O. Speedwagon

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen any of the brosnan bond movies but I'm going to guess he says like "I THOUGHT CHRISTMAS .... ONLY COMES ONCE A YEAR!!!!"

10 points to Gryffindor!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I haven't seen any of the brosnan bond movies but I'm going to guess he says like "I THOUGHT CHRISTMAS .... ONLY COMES ONCE A YEAR!!!!"

10 points to Gryffindor!

oh for fuck's sake at that being the correct quote

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Nobody took the stupid name question and ran with the Space Mutiny list. I both applaud your willpower and am disappointed in all of you.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love how much Hilary Swank goes 100% into her weird performance in Logan Lucky.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It really is the best Bond line

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Altered Carbon is doing a good job getting the taste of Mute out of my mouth.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Second viewing of Logan Lucky is over.

Still an awesome movie.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    one of the last video rental places near my parents is going out of business and selling all their stuff and i think i should head over there for some good stuff.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My local theatre is from the turn of the last century, and they've kept most of the interior fittings. I'm going to try to see it there, I think it will add ambience.

My local theater in my home town was like that

It meant itchy seats with no leg room, a tiny screen, and the angle of the floor was such that everyone in front of you blocked your view

It’s no wonder I probably only went to the theater 8-9 times growing up!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Janson wrote: »
    My local theatre is from the turn of the last century, and they've kept most of the interior fittings. I'm going to try to see it there, I think it will add ambience.

My local theater in my home town was like that

It meant itchy seats with no leg room, a tiny screen, and the angle of the floor was such that everyone in front of you blocked your view

It’s no wonder I probably only went to the theater 8-9 times growing up!

the screen is pretty big, but otherwise this is basically the same!
    They have a microbrew counter out front and a bad art museum in the basement, though.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    There's a lovely old theatre I used to go to, very comfortable interior, like if the Overlook Hotel had a movie theatre

Naturally it is shuttered and due for knocking down

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Just saw Annihilation. And while I greatly enjoyed it I was kind a shocked at how straightforward it was? This isn’t a demerit on the movie so much on how batshit and mindbending early word had the movie as.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    There's a lovely old theatre I used to go to, very comfortable interior, like if the Overlook Hotel had a movie theatre

Naturally it is shuttered and due for knocking down

Getting all that blood out of the seats must be murder.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It was fine if you rolled with it, if you get all Shelley Duvall just from seeing a guy getting blown by somebody in a dog-suit it probably wasn't the theatre for you

• Options
    The lawnmower scene from Dead Alive is on YouTube.

It's still fucking awesome.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Adam Driver is in that exalted "Never Been Bad" category

Well, except to look at

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Adam Driver is in that exalted "Never Been Bad" category

Well, except to look at

Where's that goddamn disagree button

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    How is he in Girls?

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    How is he in Girls?

He's so good in Girls I thought I actually liked that show for a while.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    How is he in Girls?

He's so good in Girls I thought I actually liked that show for a while.

my condolences

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    How is he in Girls?

He's amazing in Girls but his character is horrifying

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    How is he in Girls?

He's amazing in Girls but his character is horrifying

He totally nails being the worst kind of person.

• Options
    He is so fucking... Unsettling in Girls that it made me dislike him at first.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The lawnmower scene from Dead Alive is on YouTube.

It's still fucking awesome.

The scene that always got me was the soup scene at the dinner party about 2/3rds through. Goddamn. I started dry heaving.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Wife and I just watched The Devil Wears Prada again

Man, that movie owns

Weird that she leaves her awesome job for her terrible friends, though

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I just learned that Jack (the Robin Williams movie) was directed by Francis Ford Coppola. I don't know what to think of that.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    He is so fucking... Unsettling in Girls that it made me dislike him at first.

Yeah but everyone else is worse in Girls though? I don’t think I liked a single person in that show by the end. Maybe just Fran?

I’m not saying that Adam wasn’t a garbage human but man did that show create some absolute trash people.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    I thought that was the point of the show.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Just saw Annihilation. And while I greatly enjoyed it I was kind a shocked at how straightforward it was? This isn’t a demerit on the movie so much on how batshit and mindbending early word had the movie as.

There's this bugbear that Paramount had dumped the film onto Netflix internationally in part because the producer sided with Garland on the ending of the film and refused to change it, which is apparently too cryptic for the studio. That's pretty wild to me, because I thought it ended surprisingly cleanly, and certainly much less ambiguous than the novel's version (which I'm sure would have just given them an aneurysm).

• Options

it's getting the inception treatment

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah I kinda knew where the movie was going by the first act’s end.

Which again not a problem for the film as it executed everything very fucking well. The uncharitable part of me has me wondering if it’s just on the visuals being in the more psychedelic realm.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Adam driver was a bit boring in Silence, but that movie found a way to make some quite good acting feel very tedious, so i can't really put it sll on him.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Driver is also not really in Silence that much

It’s Andrew Garfield’s movie, I would give Liam Needon second lead before Driver

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah I kinda knew where the movie was going by the first act’s end.

Which again not a problem for the film as it executed everything very fucking well. The uncharitable part of me has me wondering if it’s just on the visuals being in the more psychedelic realm.

it's a little bit the visuals and a lot of bit the lack of plainly explaining well, anything about the subtext or climax

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Which is a shame, as Adam Driver blows Andrew Garfield out of the water.

• Options
    Which is a shame, as Adam Driver blows Andrew Garfield out of the water.

Andrew garflied wasn't actually that bad in silence, it's just a tedious film

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Duncan Jones is like Rian Johnson but bad

UmPiq.png
This discussion has been closed.