As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] The Wasp is in a movie, Ant-man may be involved

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What is the forced humor ratio here? If it's at Thor Ragnarok levels, I'll wait for streaming on Netflix.

Honestly, it had less jokes than most Marvel movies, but the ones it did have killed.

M'Buku was great.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    The "forced humor" complaint seems mega edgelord. I just pointed out that Ragnarok's goofiness was troublesome, and even I laugh find a lot of that stuff humorous.

Hell, I'm an unmedicated depressive who spends at least a couple minutes a day contemplating the other option, and I get a giggle out of a Marvel movie.

Maybe just don't go to movies?

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    The "forced humor" complaint seems mega edgelord. I just pointed out that Ragnarok's goofiness was troublesome, and even I laugh find a lot of that stuff humorous.

Hell, I'm an unmedicated depressive who spends at least a couple minutes a day contemplating the other option, and I get a giggle out of a Marvel movie.

Maybe just don't go to movies?

The only joke i thought was "forced" or too heavy handed was
    Sliding up in the car seat after it was smashed by Klaw. It felt a little too slap stick to me. Like they coudlnt figure out how to have her be ok, so they just went with the cheesy laugh. That being said, there was a lot of other good clever humor in there. The suit kick, the wig bit, the "just kidding we are vegetarians", "are you done yet", "what is love? baby dont hurt me! dont hurt me! no more!" lmao etc

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm rescinding the agree I had 3/4 of the way through because of the Captain America nod at the end

I trusted you....

It's ok.

I have no qualms with being unequivocally correct in this instance.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    "Forced humour" in Ragnarok? I guess I may not have noticed it because I was laughing.

No, you were forced to laugh.

sig.gif
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I can see you in my mind's eye, high fiving yourself enthusiastically while spinning on an office chair. It's a touching image.

I know I'm in the minority, but I felt a lot of the humor was kinda forced.
    Oh Thor, your dad died? Let's not even recognize this fact until the end. Look at Valkyrie, shes drunk and fell off the ship!

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    "Forced humour" in Ragnarok? I guess I may not have noticed it because I was laughing.

The man holding me down and tickling me with a feather everytime Taika Waititi's character was on screen assured me that there's no forced humor in the movie.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    GotG2 was the worst offender . Ragnarok only has a few spots
    Black Panther was good

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Ragnarok's humour wasn't really forced, just excessive. It was genuinely and consistently funny, but it meant that when big things went down (and a lot did) it was without enough emotional gravity.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Korg was the only part of Ragnarok I thought felt “forced.” Other characters tell jokes and such but they’re all doing it as a way to cope with loss; if it feels put on it’s because they’re whistling through their respective graveyards.

We don’t get enough background on korg for that to work though; it feels like he’s just there to deliver exposition

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I mean... Korg and Miek were probably my favorite part. That and Heimdall still being the most competent Aesir.

Oh, and Hulk/Valkyrie brotimes. That was pretty neat. But the whole Thor as dumb surfer bro pisses me off something fierce. Like... He's REAL stupid. Flat out Apatow shit in this movie. It's bad.

But humor's humor- totally subjective. What I find excessive, others will find appropriate. And Marvel, Ragnarok aside, has managed to not swerve too far outside the general lane of each movie.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don’t get the complaint that thor’s dumb; he doesn’t do anything really dumb the whole movie, other than break that thing in dr strange’s house. His new thing is that he’s glib, which he hasn’t been I previous films but maybe is attributable to hanging out with Stark (like that moment when he realizes the ‘point break’ joke is coming but rolls with it isn’t something he’d have done before.)

He also kinda quietly shows a lot of character growth; he’s usually the most emotionally intelligent member of the cast, which is another new move for him (territory previously ceded to Loki.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Black Panther for me was alright, pretty solidly alright as a film. Acting was very good, costumes and set design were excellent as people have said - but some of the writing let it down for me.
    Overall plot is solid, but after the first half there seemed to be a lot of points where characters are doing things more because the plot needs them to for the finale than because it makes sense at the time, along with a bunch of call backs to things that happened earlier but were glossed over as not a problem a few minutes earlier.

Certainly don't regret watching, really looking forward to seeing these characters (and Wakanda) again in future films - but reckon I'd give this particular film a miss if it came back around on TV in a year or two's time.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I don’t get the complaint that thor’s dumb; he doesn’t do anything really dumb the whole movie, other than break that thing in dr strange’s house. His new thing is that he’s glib, which he hasn’t been I previous films but maybe is attributable to hanging out with Stark (like that moment when he realizes the ‘point break’ joke is coming but rolls with it isn’t something he’d have done before.)

He also kinda quietly shows a lot of character growth; he’s usually the most emotionally intelligent member of the cast, which is another new move for him (territory previously ceded to Loki.)

I said at the time in SE++ that I think Thor being more relaxed and jokey in Ragnarok is actually a very solid character choice when you consider how he is in all his MCU appearances. In Thor, pre losing the hammer he is brash, jokey, overconfident and immature. Losing the hammer is a wake up call for him to take things more seriously and think about his actions/learn what it is to be King (eventually). This means that in Avengers, he's all business, very serious, even overcompensating a bit for his prior behaviour. That attitude continues into Dark World with him working to undo the damage from the end of Thor, he does start to show a little of his old self here, but it's only fleeting. He's still learning from being humbled, which is why he doesn't want the throne. You can see his relaxed personality coming out again in Age of Ultron in the party scenes, but that gets buried under world ending plot and apocalyptic visions. By the start of Ragnarok, he's been on his stone quest for a couple of years, so he's had time to come to terms with who he really is, he's got his sense of humour back from his younger days, he's very confident, but he has enough wisdom now to know he's not infallible, which is a huge difference from where he started.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Digital edition of BP v1 by Coates is free on Amazon.

v2 and v3 are $0.99 each. v4 is $3.99.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I can see you in my mind's eye, high fiving yourself enthusiastically while spinning on an office chair. It's a touching image.

I know I'm in the minority, but I felt a lot of the humor was kinda forced.
    Oh Thor, your dad died? Let's not even recognize this fact until the end. Look at Valkyrie, shes drunk and fell off the ship!

They address it in at least two scenes before that off the top of my head including like ten minutes from the scene ou are talking about.
    when he get down on his knees in the prison area and says a prayer for Odin. He openly greaves for him.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Korg was the only part of Ragnarok I thought felt “forced.” Other characters tell jokes and such but they’re all doing it as a way to cope with loss; if it feels put on it’s because they’re whistling through their respective graveyards.

We don’t get enough background on korg for that to work though; it feels like he’s just there to deliver exposition

YMMV, but I got a strong whistling-through-the-graveyard vibe from Korg.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I mean... Korg and Miek were probably my favorite part. That and Heimdall still being the most competent Aesir.

Oh, and Hulk/Valkyrie brotimes. That was pretty neat. But the whole Thor as dumb surfer bro pisses me off something fierce. Like... He's REAL stupid. Flat out Apatow shit in this movie. It's bad.

But humor's humor- totally subjective. What I find excessive, others will find appropriate. And Marvel, Ragnarok aside, has managed to not swerve too far outside the general lane of each movie.

Also Korg and Miek was an elaborate rock/paper/scissors joke

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    No idea if this was mentioned in previous spoilers, but just got back from Black Panther, and calling this for IW (spoilers BP):
    Soul Gem was the core of vibranium mountain, and is what allows them to commune with ancestors when consuming the heart flower, and Thanos taking it is going to rip that from them, effectively killing their afterlife

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    No idea if this was mentioned in previous spoilers, but just got back from Black Panther, and calling this for IW (spoilers BP):
    Soul Gem was the core of vibranium mountain, and is what allows them to commune with ancestors when consuming the heart flower, and Thanos taking it is going to rip that from them, effectively killing their afterlife

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/02/16/black-panther-director-answers-our-big-infinity-stone-question
    Here’s what Coogler said when we asked him why Black Panther didn’t feature an Infinity Stone.

“I love the Infinity Stones as much as any comic book fan, it’s just Wakanda already has its thing, which is Vibranium. For us, that was special enough, so to throw in something like another special thing didn’t feel right. It felt like we should stick with our one MacGuffin for the country and explore that, let that be the important thing because, frankly we didn’t need to have another piece like that,” Coogler explained, adding, “[Marvel Studios] never really was interested in putting a stone in there, either.”

Not to say completely that it's not in Wakanda, but the Vibranium seems to be just Vibranium.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/02/16/black-panther-director-answers-our-big-infinity-stone-question
    Here’s what Coogler said when we asked him why Black Panther didn’t feature an Infinity Stone.

“I love the Infinity Stones as much as any comic book fan, it’s just Wakanda already has its thing, which is Vibranium. For us, that was special enough, so to throw in something like another special thing didn’t feel right. It felt like we should stick with our one MacGuffin for the country and explore that, let that be the important thing because, frankly we didn’t need to have another piece like that,” Coogler explained, adding, “[Marvel Studios] never really was interested in putting a stone in there, either.”

Not to say completely that it's not in Wakanda, but the Vibranium seems to be just Vibranium.
    I read that as Marvel felt that it was not necessary to link Vibranium to an Infinity Stone in the Black Panther movie. That does not preclude that link being made in Infinity War.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »

I read that as Marvel felt that it was not necessary to link Vibranium to an Infinity Stone in the Black Panther movie. That does not preclude that link being made in Infinity War.
    My guess is that there still won't be the Soul Stone in Wakanda. Maybe Dr. Strange sends the Eye of Agamotto (or Vision) to Wakanda for safekeeping.

Actual spoilers for Infinity War
    You see Stark with a phone in Sanctum Sanctorum, that looks like the "If you need me, call" phone Steve mailed Tony at the end of the Avengers, so Steve (with connections to Wakanda) will be in communication with Tony, and therefore Vision (Also Steve, has also just met Dr. Strange, who has both the time stone and the ability to teleport people around)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah my prediction about why there's a big Wakanda set piece
    they need a country full of people that aren't afraid to fight alien hordes and wakanda has all the advantages for that so the team takes whatever stones they have to Wakanda

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    they need a country full of people that aren't afraid to fight alien hordes and wakanda has all the advantages for that so the team takes whatever stones they have to Wakanda

I get that completely
    BP spoiler
    Like a stampeding rhino armored in vibranium who wants to sit on your chest to lick your face- that shit needs to give Thanos pause, right?

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    OK, did I miss it, or did they never explicitly draw the line between

EDIT: This is Black Panther spoilers, I just realized I posted in the MCU thread instead of the BP thread. Had it in spoiler tags already anyway, but it's labeled now.
    1) Shuri's use of sonic technology to render the vibranium inert, and 2) the fact that Klawe's arm was "a mining tool I made some alterations to", and that it was the only thing that seemed able to do any damage to their vibranium car and T'Challa in his suit.

I had a real lightbulb moment when I realized the connection, and it seemed like such a cool little way of tying things together that I have to assume somebody pointed it out during the movie and I just missed the line.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Regarding Infinity Stones with Black Panther spoilers
    I could believe the Soul Stone is in Wakanda already and that it's somehow the afterlife/Great Veldt that they visit after eating the herb. But it's colour coding in the MCU is orange, and everything magical in Wakanda was coded purple, or blue...

I wonder if it could be there without the Wakandans knowing? That the Vibranium isn't responsible for the spiritual stuff, they just assume it is?

My wildcard guess is still Heimdall, his golden eyes let him see every soul in the universe. I could see him being sent away by Loki along with the Hulk? Wakanda is accepting refugees now...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Regarding Infinity Stones...
    I could believe the Soul Stone is in Wakanda already and that it's somehow the afterlife/Great Veldt that they visit after eating the herb. But it's colour coding in the MCU is orange, and everything magical in Wakanda was coded purple, or blue...

I wonder if it could be there without the Wakandans knowing? That the Vibranium isn't responsible for the spiritual stuff, they just assume it is?

My wildcard guess is still Heimdall, his golden eyes let him see every soul in the universe. I could see him being sent away by Loki along with the Hulk? Wakanda is accepting refugees now...
    I'm seriously wondering if James Gunn's "Adam Warlock won't show up until GotG3" statement wasn't a "Killian is nearly a cameo in this movie" level misdirect.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Pailryder wrote: »

I get that completely
    BP spoiler
    Like a stampeding rhino armored in vibranium who wants to sit on your chest to lick your face- that shit needs to give Thanos pause, right?

BP spoilers
    ...and that's how Thanos gets armored rhinos for pets.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    In the comics, Thanos once stalled for time by taking hits from Odin. I wouls be aadly dissapointed if MCU Thanos got wrecked by
    Armored Rhinos

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    In the comics, Thanos once stalled for time by taking hits from Odin. I wouls be aadly dissapointed if MCU Thanos got wrecked by
    Armored Rhinos

But what about an armed raccoon?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Regarding Infinity Stones...

I'm seriously wondering if James Gunn's "Adam Warlock won't show up until GotG3" statement wasn't a "Killian is nearly a cameo in this movie" level misdirect.
    Every time that spoiler comes up, I can't help but think
    Warlock has a second personality as Magus, and both personas have been connected with infinity stone storylines.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Thor is dumb is a trope that goes back to the eddas.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Sleep wrote: »

Thor is dumb is a trope that goes back to the eddas.

Thor being a well-meaning heroic meathead is the best and I'll hear nothing to the contrary.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Someone on twitter pointed out that the Infinity War trailer looks like someone added a bunch of Avengers to a Black Panther sequel and it made me think.

Age of Ultron was basically more Avengers, since the GotG were the only new IP introduced between the two films and weren't in the film.

Infinity War is Avengers + Black Panther + Dr. Strange + Guardians of the Galaxy (Also Spider-Man and Ant-Man)

This movie is going to be completely nuts.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Holy shit... Finally saw Ragnarok, and it's my new favorite Marvel movie. It was just so perfect!

I just really hope that Hela
    isn't one and done somehow. She was too great to be a one-off. Fingers crossed she's the object of Thanos' affection in Infinity War or something.

Also I assume that was Thanos' ship in the post credits stinger?

The second post credits scene with Goldblum was fantastic too :^:

Also Goldblum was perfect in this too. Everyone was perfect! Y'all can take your 'forced humor' garbo and cram it in your cram holes, because this movie was pure bliss on every level. I haven't felt this genuinely happy after seeing a movie in I don't know how long...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Someone on twitter pointed out that the Infinity War trailer looks like someone added a bunch of Avengers to a Black Panther sequel and it made me think.

Age of Ultron was basically more Avengers, since the GotG were the only new IP introduced between the two films and weren't in the film.

Infinity War is Avengers + Black Panther + Dr. Strange + Guardians of the Galaxy (Also Spider-Man and Ant-Man)

I'm a bit concerned it's going to be a mess. Way too many characters in a limited run time.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I'm a bit concerned it's going to be a mess. Way too many characters in a limited run time.

The best thing to do with those situations is what Civil War pulled off: focus on a few characters and leave the rest as side-characters to the main arcs.

This actually works really well with the MCU because all these characters are already established so you don't need to do as much real work.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

I think at least for the first part of Infinity War, Thanos is actually going to be the main character. Everyone else will pop occasionally in fight scenes and occasional scenes, but it's mostly going to be about Thanos.

I wanna say that's straight from Marvel, but I don't remember where I read that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I think at least for the first part of Infinity War, Thanos is actually going to be the main character. Everyone else will pop occasionally in fight scenes and occasional scenes, but it's mostly going to be about Thanos.

I wanna say that's straight from Marvel, but I don't remember where I read that.

You read it from people in this thread expressing hope for it :p

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »

You read it from people in this thread expressing hope for it :p

Or you know from Feige.
    Thanos in Infinity War is – in a movie that has a lot of characters, you could almost go so far as to say he is the main character, and that’s a bit of a departure from what we’ve done before, but that was appropriate for a movie called Infinity War.

Edit: fuck Google amp. You can search it the quotes legit

jungleroomx on
This discussion has been closed.