As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Handheld Castlevania games

GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So, say someone had bought a DS and felt like picking up a Castlevania game to go with it.

That someone might, if he or she hadn't played any handheld Castlevania (or any Castlevania since SotN) be somewhat confused.

Do I go for Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Aria of Sorrow or Circle of the Moon? Whether it's a DS or GBA title doesn't really matter, not does continuety in the story matter than much.

I suppose Aria.. is more SotN-ish than the others? But perhaps not a very lengthy game?

So, ah, help? I need a bit of action or I'll drown in srpg's.

Feel very free discuss why you like one game over another (That is, please discuss it).

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
Grislo on

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    250pxcastlevaniaadventuma6.jpg

Still one of my favorite castlevania games of all time, too.

TheSonicRetard on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That one must have a 20 year anniversary coming up very soon. The cover art is great.

Grislo on
  • JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Grislo wrote: »
    That one must have a 20 year anniversary coming up very soon. The cover art is great.

Yea, I love the art on that one :)

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • ZoneZone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't believe the haters. Circle of the Moon is the best especially since the ds is backlit.

Zone on
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd recommend starting with Aria of Sorrow, as it's the best, then moving on to Dawn of Sorrow and PoR. Even better, get the Double Pack, which has AoS and Harmony of Dissonance. If those games don't fill your Castletroid needs for a while, you could still get CoM, but it's eclipsed by Aria, IMO.

Noray on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoEyt7XWMsI oh man, it's been a good 8 or so years since I played it, and I still remember that music.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dawn of Sorrow is the best Nintendo DS Castlevania.

PoR feels less coherent, the best thing about Castlevania is this one huge complete castle. PoR feels like 'levels' than 'areas'.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I prefer Aria over Dawn, but that could be because Dawn is just more of the same and I played Aria first. I think I ended up enjoying Julius mode in Dawn more than the regular game simply because it was different.

Noray on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »

PoR feels less coherent, the best thing about Castlevania is this one huge complete castle. PoR feels like 'levels' than 'areas'.

At the same time, though, PoR has less of that 'more of the same' feel.

So, basically, ask yourself this: Do you want LESS similarity between areas in your castlevanias, or MORE? That will define which game's map you prefer. Beyond that, it's all gameplay mechanics.

yalborap on
    edited May 2007
    yalborap wrote: »

So, basically, ask yourself this: Do you want LESS similarity between areas in your castlevanias, or MORE? That will define which game's map you prefer. Beyond that, it's all gameplay mechanics.

Which is the longer game? Not that length is the deciding factor as such, but if one is significantly shorter it might help the decision process a bit.

I might end up with both anyway, of course, and the GBA double pack sounds like a good idea too.

Grislo on
    edited May 2007
    Grislo wrote: »

Which is the longer game? Not that length is the deciding factor as such, but if one is significantly shorter it might help the decision process a bit.

I might end up with both anyway, of course, and the GBA double pack sounds like a good idea too.

I'd argue they're about the same length for each individual game. However, PoR has far, far more alternate modes, so if you're a "do all of them" type, you'll find yourself with a LOT more playtime.

yalborap on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The first Castlevania game I played was Dawn of Sorrow and think it is one of the best, if not the best game on the DS. That's entirley my opinion but I fucking love the game, some parts are just epic.
    Fighting some huge, laser spewing monster WHILST falling THROUGH a 10 storey tower to awesome music?

On that note, the music is fucking fantastic on Dos, I'v spent way too long making Julius, Alucard and whatsherface dance to the music.

Soma can't dance for shit, but Julius, hell yes.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just played through Dawn of Sorrow, and it was great. But don't do what I did. I just went back to Harmony of Dissonance, and it's a little painful to play. The DS iterations just play so much smoother than their GBA counterparts, and it's great to have either a map or a status screen up top.

Don't get me wrong, HoD is shaping up to be a great game, but the step backwards is an extremely noticeable one.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You can get HoD and AoS on the same cartridge, so that might be worth checking out.

jothki on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I preferred Dawn of Sorrow to Portarait of Ruin, so I'd go for DoS.

SirUltimos on
    edited May 2007
    I ordered DoS. That said, I'm fairly sure I'll buy PoR at some point in the future.

After playing an obscene amount of srpg's, of course.

Grislo on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I loved all of the GBA ones, but come DoS, I kinda got tired of playing what pretty much amounts to the same damn game. My favorite is Circle of the Moon by far, best music, and none of this crappy she-man anime character lead stuff.

Darlan on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are all great.

Avoid Harmony of Dissonance, unless of course you stumble upon the Castlevania Double Pack cart (which has HoD and AoS). It's incredibly boring and far too easy for most of the way.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I enjoyed HoD, but it was also the first portable Castlevania I had played. I'm still trying to get through Aria, and have purchased DoS and PoR for when they finally happens.

oldmanken on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    The weapons and skills I got to the end of Portrait of Ruin with are such that basically I can't beat the game, and the skill system is obfuscated so that its impossible to pick up new skills without a gamefaq.

I'm pretty cranky with the game, really.

But I did like a lot of the levels.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i'd start with aria of sorrow. that game is crazy awesome.

inthegray on
  • commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The castlevania games with Soma Cruz are great, they just dont feel like true castlevania games to me. Its not just that you arent using a belmont, I mean SotN had Alucard after all and its still the best one. I think its the Catch'em All crap with the various souls. Some are neat but sometimes you need to go back to the whip.

Circle of the moon was actually really good and probably my favorite of the gba line.

I'm also going to have to go with Dawn of Sorrow over Portrait of Ruin. Both are very good games, I just dont like being forced to use two horribly designed characters with atrocious voices (though you can select japanese voices when you start, and it helps).

commathe on
  • carbon13carbon13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've wanted to get into these games. Wanted. But all the gameplay videos I have seen has the player walking ever so slowly about the place. Did anyone else notice this but carried on to love the series regardless?

carbon13 on
    First rule of Teacher Club: You don't touch the kids.
    Second rule of Teacher Club: You DO NOT touch the kids.
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've never noticed the slow walking. The games are just good, and any video you have seen has obviously failed to do them justicec.

oldmanken on
    edited May 2007
    carbon13 wrote: »
    I've wanted to get into these games. Wanted. But all the gameplay videos I have seen has the player walking ever so slowly about the place. Did anyone else notice this but carried on to love the series regardless?

The old ones can seem a bit slow if youre watching a video of it, you dont really notice when youre playing it, unless you play a newer one then go back to the original or something.

commathe on
    edited May 2007
    So I'm trying to play Julius mode is DoS. Is there any way to regain health aside from save rooms? Where are my potions? Gergoth is fucking hard with no potions.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Both DS Castlevanias are quite good; they come pretty close to Symphony of the Night quality.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited May 2007
    commathe on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I've played through Aria of Sorrow on the GBA. I got a DS Lite a short time ago and just beat Portrait of Ruin. PoR is pretty rad, with different environments in the paintings like egyptian temples, a town, and the whole carnival thing, but the castle as a whole feels a shitload smaller than SotN's, without even considering the inverted castle.

The thing that irratated the shit out of me for PoR was finding out late in the game that oh shit, I shouldn't have sold that, and now I'm fucked because no one on WFC is selling it and I don't want to make a post on PA begging for someone to sell it to me.
    4038 2483 1494 Anybody got the Nun's Habit, Nun's Shoes, and just for kicks the Diamond and the Spade cards? My profile name is JEFF, they made me change it from FUCKFACE the first time I tried to connect.

I was able to buy a couple of items from a guy at work that happened to bring his DS that day, but shit, that stuff should be available in the store if it's required to beat quests.

Co-op is fun, even if it's just boss rush.

Sisters mode is lame as fuck because I'm left handed.

The secret to getting the true ending was lame and I had to check GameFaqs. By the time I had the ability to get into the place to get the thing, I had completely forgotten about it.

It's still a pretty awesome game, though. It just feels like "less" CastleVania because the castle is so small. A lot of that might be because of the paintings, but since the last four are so similar to the first four, even they feel small in comparison to some of the mammoth castles we've seen. Also, any game featuring
    Eric Lecarde
    is automatically awesome. It's pretty cool how both games play on the two World Wars like they do.

My next purchase will probably be either Aria of Sorrow or the Double Pack.

Einhander on
    edited May 2007
    I dunno, man. The whole thnig to getting the true ending was pretty much explained for me. It was purely a matter of figuring out where the bloody hell that spell was, which I'll admit was tricky.

yalborap on
    edited May 2007
    I dunno, man. The whole thnig to getting the true ending was pretty much explained for me. It was purely a matter of figuring out where the bloody hell that spell was, which I'll admit was tricky.

I knew exactly what to do, I just had no idea where to find the spell. I ran around just about everywhere wearing Eye for Decay (lets you see breakable walls) looking for a secret room.

Einhander on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You really can't go wrong with any Castlevania game, IMO. Though you'd want to play Aria of Sorrow before Dawn of Sorrow since they're connected.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    So I'm trying to play Julius mode is DoS. Is there any way to regain health aside from save rooms? Where are my potions? Gergoth is fucking hard with no potions.

Whatshername gains health whenever her melee attack hits.

jothki on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Played Circle of the Moon for about 5 hours and I just couldn't get into it. I watched the speed run just now and I'm glad I did. I don't think it holds up to the other GBA and DS MetroidVanias.

DoS is the way to go. And I think I read that you purchased it already. :^:

Renzo on
    edited May 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    I've played through Aria of Sorrow on the GBA. I got a DS Lite a short time ago and just beat Portrait of Ruin. PoR is pretty rad, with different environments in the paintings like egyptian temples, a town, and the whole carnival thing, but the castle as a whole feels a shitload smaller than SotN's, without even considering the inverted castle.

Hooba-Jooba-hey? Inverted castle? Explain. I just sort of finished the game once to get the good ending and dabbled in the alternate character's games, but would like to know about this.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2007
    I think he's saying that PoR's castle is smaller than SotN's non-inverted castle. Add in the inverted castle and SotN's castle absolutely blows PoR's castle out of the water.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    I think he's saying that PoR's castle is smaller than SotN's non-inverted castle. Add in the inverted castle and SotN's castle absolutely blows PoR's castle out of the water.

Are you counting the different areas too? Because that might be comparable.

Renzo on
    edited May 2007
    So, is there an invterted castle in PoR, and, if so, how do I unlock it. Thanks.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2007
    So, is there an invterted castle in PoR, and, if so, how do I unlock it. Thanks.

No, I was talking about SotN. I think that all of PoR's areas plus it's castle is still smaller than SotN's two castles, but I can't be sure. You can't really trust room count, since the rooms are all different sizes, and it's hard to track down an accurate room count (without glitches to get outside of the castle) for SotN anyway. I just know that each castle map in SotN fills up my entire damn TV.

PoR had new areas (two desert, two city, and two twisted carnival), but SotN also had a ton of variations on the castle theme. There was the main castle, a dungeon/prison area, the Long Library, a sewer, a below-sewer cold sewer, and below that a lava cave. At the top you also had a much better clocktower, among other things.

Einhander on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I could play a new one of these Metroidvanias every year for life and be so damn excited. I love these game. The 2 Soma games are my faves, with Dawn of Sorrow taking the number one spot in my mind.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018