As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I unlocked Dead Branch earlier today and found it in a run just now. I already had Corruption in that deck.

I think I'm in love.

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    I picked this game up 2 days ago after I saw Projared play it. It's really scratching that roguelite itch for me and even managed to tear me away from Monster Hunter.

After 16 loses, I finally got my first win. I used a small Backflip - Flechettes - Footwork - Outmaneuver deck to etch out a win with the Silent. Feels good, man. Feels real good.

I guess I'll go back to trying to play with the Ironclad. I haven't made it past the first boss with him.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ascension level 2 complete! I went full Block build and got super rewarded. I mean, look at the cards and relics. SICK!

mh225hotrxbo.png

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    acyRivO.jpg

Not bad for my very first try, I think.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    First level Exhaust thinking is the cards are good enough that you don’t care they are only used once

Second level Exhaust thinking is stuffing your deck with garbage to burn away for positive effects

Third level is removing actual garbage like strikes, defends, and cards that are not the main 2-5 you actually use

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    First level Exhaust thinking is the cards are good enough that you don’t care they are only used once

Second level Exhaust thinking is stuffing your deck with garbage to burn away for positive effects

Third level is removing actual garbage like strikes, defends, and cards that are not the main 2-5 you actually use

Fourth level is removing everything and then realizing you can't win the fight any more.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

Fourth level is removing everything and then realizing you can't win the fight any more.

I miscounted once and nearly did this but I had a relic that gave me thorns so it was okay!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Early in the run, I have the choice of Terror, Blur, or Escape Plan. I really like all of those.... Which is best, do you think?

I went with Terror.
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Blur.
    Fry wrote: »
    Terror is one of my favorite cards, I would totally have gone with that. Blur is also really good. Escape Plan is fine but for the chunky decks I usually play it's not especially exciting, it'd be a lot better if I could keep a sufficiently slim deck.

It didn't end up mattering. I got Dead Branch and then a couple Shiv cards, so meme deck incoming :P

Yesss beat Ascension 2 for the first time with this Dead Branch + Shiv deck! Against the Time Eater, no less. I ended up barely picking any cards ever, since my deck was just a random assortment of things ever fight :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    That feeling when you have two Reapers and the cursed book event doesn't give you Necronomicon. Infinite sadness, I tell you. Infinite. :(

Still won against D&D with full health on Ascension 3 but it would've been so much more fun. Speaking of ascension mode I initially thought I wouldn't want to touch it with a 10 ft pole since I'm usually not into masochistic difficulty modes, but now that I've started playing it I kinda like it. Gives me a reason to try to improve, and the more I play the more I'm admiring the role this game gives to player skill while also looking like it is all about horrible RNG. As somebody who was there for early MtG and then much later Dominion, this feels like one generation more evolved game. I got soon 80 hours played and it's still so good, and they haven't even added the third class yet.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    I got Necronomicon in a deck where my only attack that cost two or more energy was Corpse Explosion. I did have it one time with Choke though and let me tell you ten damage a turn for playing a card feels like cheating.

butts
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Ok so, I got another 1 turn kill infinite deck last night. It was sweet. Good times. I only got 636 points for that run. I wish I got points for the things I want to be doing in game. I want to roll in and make a OP deck that steam rolls everything.

Basically it went down like this...

Floor 1 I'm keeping the deck pretty small. I have 14 cards. Slowly getting rid of my strikes and defends. It's looking alright. I have 2 poison strikes, a cloak and dagger, and a caltrops, outmanuever and an adrenaline!

Then on floor 1 I found tactician!!! (no discard yet)

Aww yeah... this run is getting amazing.

I picked up astrolabe from the first boss. This relic is severely underrated. I turned 2 strikes and a defend into a noxious fumes+, endless agony+, and outmaneuver+. I already had an outmaneuver that had to then be deleted. But I turned two cards into a power and a 0 cost exhaust card! It was even better than removing 2 cards from my deck. Because of this I ended the run with no strikes and 1 defend left in my deck.

From there things just got better and better. Early on floor 3 I started going infinite on round 1. The entire floor and end boss was a cake walk. Special thanks to the time lord for not showing up.
    qmajrcm3hd29.jpg

furbat on
  • Options
    5 points away from my last Ironclad unlock. Nooooooo :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    well thats super frustrating. my last run got 3/4ths through 2nd area, and then my next run the whale said get to the boss to get a thing.

ok video game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    After driving myself crazy and totally tanking my stats trying to build an infinite deck, decided I'd just have fun again and was gifted a Snecko Eye by the whale. End result:
    lvsqzergkegs.jpg

My first 1k score! Final boss was Awakened One, who got run the fuck over. Was fun picking basically any card that cost 2 or more, and Nightmare copies them at the reduced mana cost (until they get reshuffled) so that was neat.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    well thats super frustrating. my last run got 3/4ths through 2nd area, and then my next run the whale said get to the boss to get a thing.

ok video game.

Game is technically still in alpha. :P

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    The Collector just feels impossible with most of my silent decks. I got 2 bad turns of deck rng and took 70 damage.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Man, I'm having a rough time getting through Ascension level 2 with the Silent. I'm so used to the extra hp and healing of Ironclad. Hopefully I'll find a way to get through. Maybe my strats are wrong though.

I usually go Elite hunting on floor 1 and can clear things fine. Floors 2/3 have me avoiding Elites and doing ? hopping. I'm leaning more towards cards with Block because everything just hits so hard. Any protips?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    So I'm on Ascension 7 and am trying to figure out optimal strategy. Should I go for more stable decks or aim to shoot the moon? I feel like my stable decks tend to lack enough firepower to handle the third floor, but riskier decks can flame out by the end of floor 1 if I get bad relics/cards, crippling my next run.

I'm having more luck with Ironclad because Exhaust is amazing, but my Silent runs have been mediocre at best except for the super lucky block/poison run with 5 blurs that got me Ascension 6. Anyone have advice for higher level Ascensions?

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Man, I'm having a rough time getting through Ascension level 2 with the Silent. I'm so used to the extra hp and healing of Ironclad. Hopefully I'll find a way to get through. Maybe my strats are wrong though.

I usually go Elite hunting on floor 1 and can clear things fine. Floors 2/3 have me avoiding Elites and doing ? hopping. I'm leaning more towards cards with Block because everything just hits so hard. Any protips?

I generally avoid Elites just overall on the Silent, since early on her deck is a harder to tackle Elites than Ironclad imo. If you're doing it well, that's fine I guess then?

How are you generally dying? Bosses, or regular enemies, or late Elites? Are you taking lots of chip damage, or is it just one fight that goes horribly?

I had a lot more trouble getting Ironclad to Ascension 3, Silent was easier for me :lol:

Steam profile
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Nightmare is pretty fun, you guys.

ZUn6VVp.jpg

Against the boss I used Nightmare on Eviscerate, which normally costs 4 energy per use and deals 9x3 damage.

So the next turn I have 3 Eviscerate cards... and make them free with Bullet Time.

Also, Necronomicon + Choke is fun times. All those annoying enemies with Artifact defense? Yeah, fuck you. Get choked anyway.

God I miss that build already. Inherent block with every card use. Inherent shiv. Inherent backstab. <3

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

Neutralize+ is my starting point for literally every Silent run, and ideally I'll have 2x Blur, 1x Backflip and as many Escape Plans as I'm offered.

If I get an early Bouncing Flask I'll look for Catalyst+ and Burst, otherwise I'll look for Terror (or Phantasmal Killer+). Well Laid Plans, Bullet Time, Adrenaline and Tools of the Trade I always take (unless I'm trying to go infinite like an idiot). Dash is a good early pick and most of the 1 mana powers are good for defining the sort of deck you'll have. Basically any damaging Exhaust card is value.

Paper Crane is absurdly good, if you get your hands on that you're laughing.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I've never actually gotten the Necronomicon....

Steam profile
  • Options

I've gotten it once in 77 hours. The sheer amount of different relics and ? events is definitely one of the factors giving it so much replayability.

• Options

I've gotten it once in 77 hours. The sheer amount of different relics and ? events is definitely one of the factors giving it so much replayability.

I've gotten the book event several times. 2 or 3 times, I got the one that adds a card to your deck every turn. Also a good book!

Once, I think, I got the other book which I can't remember what it does. Never the necro :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The only thing I've never gotten is giving Jaxx to the Jaxx addict.

I missed it once because I was saving gold for an upcoming shop, and got the Jaxx dealer/ addict events back to fucking back.

BSoB on
  • Options
    BSoB wrote: »

I missed it once because I wave saving gold for an upcoming shop, and got the Jaxx dealer/ addict events back to fucking back.

Yeah, I miss most of those connected events :(.
    Blood vial for the vampires, corrupting the bird statue thingie? etc.

I think I made an offering of the Golden Monkey or something once.

It's rare to get both the prerequisites and the actual event that uses them. Like Mirkel said, it's one of the cool things about the amount of content in this game.

Steam profile
  • Options

I generally avoid Elites just overall on the Silent, since early on her deck is a harder to tackle Elites than Ironclad imo. If you're doing it well, that's fine I guess then?

How are you generally dying? Bosses, or regular enemies, or late Elites? Are you taking lots of chip damage, or is it just one fight that goes horribly?

I had a lot more trouble getting Ironclad to Ascension 3, Silent was easier for me :lol:

Chip damage mostly. The grind just wears me down over time.
    Shen wrote: »

Neutralize+ is my starting point for literally every Silent run, and ideally I'll have 2x Blur, 1x Backflip and as many Escape Plans as I'm offered.

If I get an early Bouncing Flask I'll look for Catalyst+ and Burst, otherwise I'll look for Terror (or Phantasmal Killer+). Well Laid Plans, Bullet Time, Adrenaline and Tools of the Trade I always take (unless I'm trying to go infinite like an idiot). Dash is a good early pick and most of the 1 mana powers are good for defining the sort of deck you'll have. Basically any damaging Exhaust card is value.

Paper Crane is absurdly good, if you get your hands on that you're laughing.

Cool. I'll look into drafting these cards when they come up.

On a completely separate topic, what do you all prefer with your starting upgrade?
    • Remove/Upgrade/Transform 1 card
    • Add Rare card
    • Lose gold, get Relic
    • Lose all gold remove 2 cards
    • Swap starting Relics

Only ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    For the Silent, I will often grab a Boss Relic and lose my own Relic. Transforming cards is another go-to, gets rid of Strikes and maybe helps decide what deck I want to go for :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Lose your starting relic, gain a random snecko eye.

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Lose your starting relic, gain a random snecko eye.

I'm coming around to an early-enough Snecko Eye. Draft a bunch of high-cost cards and hope that Snecko is in your favor :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I take (in no particular order): Remove Cards, Gain Gold (if it doesn't cost me half my hp on Silent, otherwise on Ironclad I'll probably take it), Enemies have 1 hp if there's an Elite I can get to, gain a common relic.

Will never pick gains cards, even rare ones, and almost never trade my starting relic in.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I rarely take "Gain Gold," but I've mentioned before that I don't really value gold in this game :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Gain Gold is just equivalent to Gain a Relic + Remove a Card (and/or Gain Apotheosis) since you just move to the nearest shop.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Gain Gold is just equivalent to Gain a Relic + Remove a Card since you just move to the nearest shop.

Yeah, I just seem to be allergic to shops often. I never plan my route around them...

Steam profile
  • Options
    Incidentally, I had a run the other day in which I saw three Apotheosis' in shops in a row.

Characters
  • Options
    The best choice for me has been lose 7 max hp, gain rare relic. As everything else it's all random what you end up getting though. Worst choice so far has been swapping your starting relic, got a Pandora's Box as Silent and it absolutely destroyed my deck.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I am all about the relics, give me more relics to start with. Or swap starting relic, if I have to. After that, remove/transform starting cards are good.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

I missed it once because I was saving gold for an upcoming shop, and got the Jaxx dealer/ addict events back to fucking back.

Giving the jaxx addict jaxx doesn't even give you a special event relic, it's super lame.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The best choice for me has been lose 7 max hp, gain rare relic. As everything else it's all random what you end up getting though. Worst choice so far has been swapping your starting relic, got a Pandora's Box as Silent and it absolutely destroyed my deck.

Yea, this one's decent too. Max HP loss always seemed like a fine trade-off, since the values tend to be relatively low.

Characters
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    5 points away from my last Ironclad unlock. Nooooooo :P

I got the last ironclad unlock last night...its...odd.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum