As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Got me anoooooooother a20 win. Silent is just so much fun. Necronomicon Silent is the best fun.

Also, seriously, lookit all these upgrades despite taking Fusion Hammer.

Runic Pyramid was also real good, just for holding Doublelyst to get some spike damage in. Bosses were Donu and Deca (oh no i have double corpse explosion what do) and Time Eater (Hahaha, nice try slug boy). Carrying a hole bunch of gold through act 2 only to get Old Coin right out of a chest and then getting to buy Footwork, Mercury Hourglass, Bronze Scales AND Die Die Die+ all in one shop? Hi, yes, thanks.

(Also fun: first turn malaise with 5 energy vs Book of Stabbing. Book of Noodly Nerf Dagger...)
    BF53E08419944AC6C98E12CAE79A195355F4CB8A

I'm still real bad at Defect though. Like i wouldn't say i'm /reliable/ at winning Ironclad & Silent, at least not yet. But i feel like i have solid game plans on what to do. Defect i have a solid idea, but i feel like i come unstuck - less understanding of the synergies, i think.

(I also find myself hoping that mod tools or something might get a released, as i do have a fairly solid idea for a character forming in my head, and i have no idea how to program her. Short pitch would The Priestess - heavy emphasis on manipulating conditions on herself and other foes, including a couple of new conditions). Oh well, ap roejct for anotehr time.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If anyone else is even remotely considering doing so, I highly recommend playing co-op with a friend. Talking through the choices together is really helpful and a lot of fun! Saying the words out loud and hearing someone disagree really helps to do the things you need to be doing anyway: thinking about what future fights are affected, how well you're tracking against the Act's boss, what paths are the most likely to help you roll high, etc. Really good fun and very instructive!

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Having three Madness in a Claw For One deck is lol.

My only regret was having one upgraded hologram.

Jookie on
    butts
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    3 Energy A20 Ironclad run. Snecko-Pocket Watch run. Turns out being able to draw 10 cards a turn is pretty good!

Kinda inclined to not count this though, it took way too much finagling to figure out how to get past the final bosses... but goddamn, worth doing as a learning experience. (This is one major reason i'm pro-reload - Especially when you're playing weird decks, it can be really good way to learn more about the game)

Bosses were Time Eater -> Awoken One, which i think was about as good as it could have been. (Pretty sure i just died outright ot Donu and Deca - my "scaling" was mostly off Paper Phrog + Red Skull + Pen Nib. So no actual real scaling.)
    488EEE27FF706BDB50595F82A62361FD547FC700

Also the big content patch is live. 1/3 unlcoks down to get acess here...

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I know Snecko Eye is good, I just never want to take it. I generally always like more RNG in my card games beyond just, like, drawing and such like that.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Try it, kime! It's fun! :biggrin:

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Do it kime! Do it!

Slightly more seriously: It's basically always good on Ironclad, who has very few 0 costs and a lot of 2+ that he can abuse. It can be surprisingly good on Silent - it makes you lean into stuff like Predator and Choke a lot more, which is fun. You can also do some real work with things that make Shivs, and Bullet Time becomes VERY good. (So does Storm of Steel, but storm of steel is a card i think is generally pretty great and other people seem to hate, so hey!)

Defect it gets a bit werider. In a standard deck, it's great. But defect has a lot of 0 costs, and it's easy to lean into those early and have snecko become terrible.

It also has a lot of crazy synergies with things like Mummified Hand, Corruption, it's useful because a lot of upgrades just save you energy and thus you no longer need them... (Do note it'll also screw up cards that are supposed to get cheaper like Blood for Blood - but it wont screw up cards that get cheaper once they're in your hand).

A20 Silent down again, so just missing defect now. This was a stressful, stressful deck to play.
    73717BC1245291BCF56432DE2E3D3628970508CF

Strong as hell, Calling bell probably saved it, but very stressful to play. Do wish i'd been able to get rid of the Quick Slash+s, they saw very little play once i found Pocket Watch. "4 energy to play 3 cards, dont play more" is.. .Yerk. I'd have killed for one or two more Predators in the deck + Ice Cream

Still, executing Time Eater on his split turn with a massive pen-nibbed Skewer was real satisfying. (prior bosses were Donu and Deca, who thank god for Corpse Explosion. Tbh, no real idea how this deck dealt with awoken one, it'd depend on how early it could lay down a malaise i think?)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I mean, blood for blood costs 4 normally, and I don't think snecko eye gives you cards that cost more than 3? So it doesn't continue to get cheaper during the fight, but it also is always cheaper than the base cost. And if you damage yourself in the same turn as having blood for blood it still reduces in cost.

I always take the four cost cards when I'm in snecko eye. Eviscerate, force field, blood for blood

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    How does snecko eye/confusion work with cards like streamline? Does the confusion apply after the cost reduction (making the cost reduction meaningless) or does confusion apply first, then the cost reduction?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    It makes streamline cost a random amount between 0 and 3 everytime you draw it

If you have, say, a rupture in hand that costs 3 due to confusion and you level it up with an armaments it will go to zero cost, because the level is applied after the confusion

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure cost reduction applies after the random cost from Snecko.

Upgrading a card that gets a cost change will override the Snecko because it gets applied over it.

Garthor on
  • Options
    I've had streamlines that I've played multiple times cost three when drawn. Unless it's a newer change

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I've had streamlines that I've played multiple times cost three when drawn. Unless it's a newer change

As far as i know ,teh way it works is You play Streamline. It says, okay, i've been played, set my cost to X-1 (Minimum of 0). Then you Draw streamline again, it's at that new value. THen Snecko's confusion effect fires, and says "Your cost is now 0-3", and Streamline goes "okay!". If it's in your hand however and something alters the cost, then that overrules Snecko's effect, as Snecko is a only applied at draw. (Similarly this means that cards will keep their randomised cost until you draw them again. You can abuse this using cards like Hologram, All For One, or Seek, Exhume - They don't draw the cards, so they'll use the existing set cost.)

You can also abuse with stuff like Corruption ,as that effect is always on - If a skill is in your hand, it costs 0 and then exhausts itself when played. (You can actually see this happen - it's cost will flick back up to the snecko-set cost if it's discarded form your hand at end of turn for instance)

A similar thing happens with Claw, actually. When you play Claw, it sets all EXISTING claws to +2 damage. But if you then get a claw added to your hand by something, say, Hello World, that claw will only be doing 3 damage. Because it never existed when the previous claws were played, and so did not benefit fro them being played.

• Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Having to rely entirely off of killing dweebs super quick because you forgot that defense is also a very necessary part of a deck is quite the thrill ride. I would have failed super hard but thank you two Self Repairs.

butts
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

As far as i know ,teh way it works is You play Streamline. It says, okay, i've been played, set my cost to X-1 (Minimum of 0). Then you Draw streamline again, it's at that new value. THen Snecko's confusion effect fires, and says "Your cost is now 0-3", and Streamline goes "okay!". If it's in your hand however and something alters the cost, then that overrules Snecko's effect, as Snecko is a only applied at draw. (Similarly this means that cards will keep their randomised cost until you draw them again. You can abuse this using cards like Hologram, All For One, or Seek, Exhume - They don't draw the cards, so they'll use the existing set cost.)

You can also abuse with stuff like Corruption ,as that effect is always on - If a skill is in your hand, it costs 0 and then exhausts itself when played. (You can actually see this happen - it's cost will flick back up to the snecko-set cost if it's discarded form your hand at end of turn for instance)

A similar thing happens with Claw, actually. When you play Claw, it sets all EXISTING claws to +2 damage. But if you then get a claw added to your hand by something, say, Hello World, that claw will only be doing 3 damage. Because it never existed when the previous claws were played, and so did not benefit fro them being played.

This also works with nightmare. If you nightmare a 0 cost meteor, then next turn you will get three 0 cost meteors added to your hand.

But the next time you draw them, they will all randomize to a 0-3 number again

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Also gonna repeat that mummified hand does NOT work this way, despite it's relic text saying it works 'until end of turn'

The hand reduces the cost to 0 until it is played, not for the rest of the turn. All for one or hologram will not bring it back at a cost of zero.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Nightmare Snecko is one of the silliest things you can end up doing. Clearly the dream is Nightmare Exhume.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Got to act 4 for the first time tonight with a really good (so I thought) strength deck.

the guardian elites got me to almost dead, then it killed me on the second turn, by hitting for 67(the sex number).
    ueflvisj9igp.jpg

I don't know enough about it to know what I need to beat it. But this run wasn't it.

BSoB on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Well, finally got my A20 defect win to unlock things.

With a 3 energy Snecko Blizzard deck, whcih let me tell you is one of the most BORING things to play past a certain point. (okay, so killing wokeboke with a 128 damage echo formed blizzard+ was infact hilarious). Also Blizzard's graphic gets REAL big at that point, it's intimidating. This is a deck where i actively REMOVED zap from it. It took 17 turns and i took 0 damage though!

Sadly the kill onto time eater was way, way more more boring. Which is to say turn 1 Creative Ai from Enchiridion and then creative ais happened and he died to a truly bizzare amount of lighting orbs. Which, honestly, was a letdown, i wanted to crush him under the snowy drifts of Angry Robothood

(Actually to be fair, i have no idea if this deck won vs time eater, and i'm pretty sure it just died to Donu & Deca.)

Still! Defect things, huh?
    26518F8D031EEA7D65E0537EE741E1D5A552725D

So now i'm probably going to aim to actually win the game (not on a20), then aim for a20 high score heart runs, i guess!

Edit: Heart down on the Silent. A1 run with Grand Finale.

Which for the record, i still hate, even if i had the perfect deck to actually play it. (Expertise+, Acrobatics+, Reflex+, Well Laid Plans+, Back Flips+... Waaaay too much support just for a nuke, dammit). Fun though!

Deck here:
    0F626199D4AFAAFE9AF7FC23E7AA51F98B3A6230

Bonus points for cawing angrily at Wokebloke right before the stabbing started, i guess?

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    It turns out if your deck is mostly 2 cost attacks + Demon Form, Snecko Eye is a very good relic toi have. Asc 18 down!

amsqxttdm6jc.png

This run was really strong. Perfected Strike, Carnage, Uppercut, Shockwave by the end of Act 1. Velvet Choker had zero downside, since all my stuff was expensive and beefy. Was a little nervous about Act 2, since I had no real defense and no AoE, but I dealt so much damage I just went all face on Gremlin Leader and pulled through okay. Picking up Membership Card, Bag of Marbles, and Whetstone all from the same shop right before the fight helped. I got Lantern from that fight, Gremlin Horn and Mutagens in short order afterwards, so my first turns were absolutely monstrous. Snecko Eye from the boss meant those first turns just got even better, and all my 2 cost and 3 cost stuff was always cheaper. Picking up Pocket-Watch meant drawing 10 steeply discounted cards per turn.

Probably could have done Asc 20 with this deck, since I ended the fight with the shapes at 62 HP.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I thiiiiiiiink the lack of sustain might ave taken you out, but only maybe - that does look like a REALLY good deck. It's a shame you didn't get a corruption in there though - that would have been seriously sweet. Or Fiend Fire. Oh god, fiend fire in that deck would just be disgusting. 9x(10+ STR) would have eviscerated pretty much everything

Though, Panic Button seems real suspect!

Still, super cool work dood! Grats on A18

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Finished Asc 19, so now it’s just Asc 20 for all classes. Got “close” twice, in that I made it to the second boss, but neither deck was capable of winning the fight without going down to single digit HP. Neither were fast enough to survive a second boss from that state.

Will keep trying.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    this was a very fun run

C136172A37FBAD47774AA9CD5439D709588DF61D

a 3x Girya strength gave me a lot of punch for my skewers predators and riddle with holes which necronomicon doubled

Beasteh on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dipping my toe back into the game, managed to kill the heart.

m6hwqw5z03mn.jpg

The elite and then true final boss are both rough customers, huh.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Hi. Long time thread lurker, first time poster.

Finally managed to get to ascension 4 on Ironclad last night. I think I'll have to start in on the climb for Silent next.

This is such a great game.

• Options
    Welcome to the thread!
    Personal recommendation is you rotate between all three characters - i feel like you learn the most about the game that way. That's just me though!

Meanwhile, finished knocking off the heart on all 3 fellows. A1 is ery boring when you're used to A20 >.<.

I also think i just dont enjoy the Defect. Silent's by far my favourite, and Ironclad is a lot of fun - But defect is just proving a drag to play. Not entirely sure why, though i have some ideas.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yup, I've gotten all three classes up to at least Ascension 1 but wanted to put the gas on getting the Ironclad there.
    Feel like I need to relearn the other 2 classes now.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yup, I've gotten all three classes up to at least Ascension 1 but wanted to put the gas on getting the Ironclad there.

Nothing wrong with doing one class for a while either

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Nothing wrong with doing one class for a while either

Yeah I find I have to do this because otherwise I try to do stuff like e.g. play the Ironclad like the Defect and you can't do that and have any success.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The new Brimstone unique is rather broken. In five games, I went from A7 to A10 on Ironclad, and each win had the Brimstone. I nearly won on A10 on game seven, again with Brimstone, but I pushed into an elite with too little hp.

I also beat Silent A7 this morning with a Shiv deck.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    The new Brimstone unique is rather broken. In five games, I went from A7 to A10 on Ironclad, and each win had the Brimstone. I nearly won on A10 on game seven, again with Brimstone, but I pushed into an elite with too little hp.

I also beat Silent A7 this morning with a Shiv deck.

Brimstone being broken is a longstanding roguelite tradition.

Okay, it's basically just Isaac, but still.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I also think i just dont enjoy the Defect. Silent's by far my favourite, and Ironclad is a lot of fun - But defect is just proving a drag to play. Not entirely sure why, though i have some ideas.

Can you look at your run history and tell me how many silent wins you have without having a footwork in your deck? My last check I think I had maybe two sub acs 10 wins that didn't have footwork and literally every other silent win had a minimum of one.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm so bad at the silent. I really really hate playing silent. I've mostly stopped playing cause it took ~50 rounds to get past asc 18 with silent, and both others are already at 20 waiting for me.

I still try defect and ironclad runs occasionally, but I want silent to be on the same level and I just can't get him there.

I think my last two promising poison runs ended on gaint head and maybe the one before that on the new elite that I had no idea what was going on

• Options
    Lost to the heart on a20 because beat of death and a 15x attack are just some serious stupid bullshit. Admittedly, i'm pissed off right now because this felt like a run i loss less to missplays and more to RNG not giving me what i needed to go nova. and miscalculating the damage. But i'm still pissed

Seriously, look at this deck:
    3AB753A2F58D18FAE65A1D59C2254FF2D1ADAF45

It bloody rolled over the transient (as in, it killed it.) and everything else in it's way. Time eater couldn't stop it, nor the elite, but the heart is arrgh, and i strongly dislike how rigid it is as an endgame threat. (Right now it honestly feels like the way to win is to stack up thorns as high as you can, and then turtle. And i hate this, because it's punishing you for playing your cards. Tangle monster in act 3 has a similar issue)

(Also, if you have any intent of beating the heart, never take Philsopher's stone or Brimstone. You will loose.)

@Burtletoy looking at my a20 wins, it's about 50/50 whether i have footwork or not. There's almost never a time i dont take footwork on silent, if i'm offered it.

Defensively, for Silent, you're looking at either: Wraith Form (Backed up with Appropriations, Incense Burner and Nightmare if you can get them, and possibly Clockwork Souvienir for Wraith form), Footwork + Dodge & Roll, or Leg Sweep/Neutralize with Paper Krane. Then adding stuff like Malaise and Piercing Wail to hose multiattacks (Book of Stabbing, Time Eater and Awoken One being the big targets here - Heart cleanses str down, so malaise is less reliable).

Since the game's unlikely to give you all of these in perfect discrete sets, you tend to be picking and mixing. Wraith Form + Nightmare is often enough with strong enough offence. Paper Krane and Naturalise+ makes everything better. So on and so forth.

Like there just aren't a lot of situations where you don't take a Leg sweep, for instance. Footworks are basically always good, even with awoken one.

But there's also questions like: How are you drawing into your answers? Do you have Well-Laid Plans to hold Piercing Wail/Malaise/Catalsyt/Whatever till it'll have maximum effect?

• Options
    *victorious shrieking*

vwbj3aqgxikb.png

FINALLY!

Oh man, I was really starting to worry that Asc 20 would be an unbreakable curse, but by the grave of having high strength, Heavy Blade, Reaper, two VERY crucial Headbutts (something I never thought I would ever say), and a Fairy Potion, I managed to get a win. Phew! Looking back at the run, I think the main thing I would change would have been to use Dolly's Mirror to duplicate Flame Barrier or one of my Shrug It Off's, since I almost never used them in Act 3. Then again, if I ran into the Reptomancer I would have been very upset not to have enough AoE, so... *shrugs*

Hoooo boy. Feels good to finally break through!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    @mysticjuicer Congradulations!

Also, headbutt is awesome why you dis D:

(also also your link is broken, so i cannot bask in the glory of your winning deck!)

Super congrats. Now! BEAT THAT HEART TO THE GROUND

• Options
    Thanks! :D

I don't know, I've not really ever had to use it before. Mostly I just get it once I have the Strength doubling skill, and that's pretty much it. I usually play a fair amount of powers, and anything that slows my deck's velocity isn't ideal when that's the case. The fact that it puts cards on top of your deck rather than in your hand is pretty rough a lot of the time. But this run really needed anything to be able to smooth out its ability to generate block, so it really worked out. Will definitely consider it more in future runs!

Next on the list is Silent Asc 20, then Defect Asc 20, and then I'll be set up to try a couple of Act 4 runs. I've stayed un-spoiled so far, so I'm "looking forward" to getting my head blown off! XD

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    I like headbutt because when you have high value cards like Immolate, Bludgeon, Perfected Strike, Rampage you can just do a lot that way - it's rare that there's NO targets for Headbutt. And it gets amazing when you have Havoc+, as part of like an exhaust engine or similar - yo ucan do some dirty things.

Like just looking at your deck, you have Spot Weakness, Battle Trance, Immolate, Heavy Blade and Flame Barrier that i'd all be very happy to hit with Headbutt and get to play again - and you've got Pommel Strike, Shrug it Offs and Battle trance to let you do so in the same turn if need be!

• Options
    Act 4 spoilers below/Muttering about game design. This will spoil mechanics so dont read if you dont want spoilers.
    I think i'm done with act 4 for now. Or rather, the heart. I like everything up to the heart, but the heart fight itself is terrible. And it's mainly down to the Beat of Death mechanic. For those who've not encountered it: Whenever you play a card, you take 1 (and at a20, 2) damage. This applies after block.

It's clearly meant to hose infinite strategies, or high frequency attacks or things, but it's just... not fun. You're playing an 0 cost deck (Outside of like, 0 Cost hologram madness cycling stupidity)? You're going to loose. You're playing a deck that uses shivs? (and basically any amount of shivs? Likewise. It punishes you for playing cards.

...Which sucks. Playing cards is fucking fun! And this mechanic basically serves to kick you in the teeth for it. I dunno. Maybe i'm missing something, but right now the fight is just not enjoyable - it's an incredibly harsh clock that throws ridiculous damage amounts at you with vicious debuffs and status effects - all of which is cool. i like that part. but the fact that every single time i play a card i get dinged and you die a death of a thousand cuts...

There's got to be better ways to implement a mechanic like that. Hell, time eater's mechanic is a better version of this.

It's particularly bothersome since the Tangle enemy has the same issue to a degree. In this case, you're punished for hitting it with attacks. Again.. playing cards is fun. Punishing players for the simple act of playing hte game seems more than a little stupid.

Hopefully this ranting makes sense.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I agree with pretty much everything you're saying there Zombie, although I do think that the Act 4 Elite fight could stand to be toned down a little. It's actually harder than the boss in my opinion.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    The act 4 elite has a really cool mechanic that doesn't end up mattering at all, which feels bad.