Options

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I feel like the king of bad decks.
    What if every fight I got punched down to 10-20% health, and then gained it all back again for the next one?
    zruv58bncy3u.png

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    That's how the ironclad is supposed to work!

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Yeah, just gotta find scaling strength and reaper. Easier said than done.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Yeah, just gotta find scaling strength and reaper. Easier said than done.

Honestly, there are options (mostly related to the Flower or max-HP shenanigans) that let you cheat health without Reaper involved.

Reaper's real good though.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Going live again shortly - i hope these streams are proving useful. Hopefully i'll actually win a run on stream sometime soon too =P

Reaper's defintely a great card with STR scaling - I find you really need +maxhp to give you the buffer to set up the big reapers. Really fun when you get it going - i managed to cast reaper for 150+ damage i think it was on stream the other day. that was fun!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I carried zombie penguin to an A20 heart victory with my shrewd strats

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I tuned in right at the end of The Silent run! Nicely done!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Well, we managed to get to turn 14 as Defect vs the Heart, then ate a 20x15 multi attack. Ow. We're still going, come join the party!

Also @skippydumptruck shrewd strats were "MORE SHIVS".

Given the winning deck was this monster:
    F103C7A75C96EF3EA6A282B47C3CA8CD17DEF792

maybe skippy was right. Though i think i made them very sad when i refused to take accuracy (We got out of Awoken One at 1 hp. IT WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE SKIPPY. IT WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, Ascension 1 on the Silent.

I picked the free common Relic and got ...

kcc37gurkqil.png

Woohoo!

Here's the non-Strike, non-Defend portion of my deck 90% of the way through the first strata:

0ibbnl2qo3v3.png

Notice anything missing?

• Options
    I carried zombie penguin to an A20 heart victory with my shrewd strats

I think it's a hedgehog and not a shrew?

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So, Ascension 1 on the Silent.

I picked the free common Relic and got ...

kcc37gurkqil.png

Woohoo!

Here's the non-Strike, non-Defend portion of my deck 90% of the way through the first strata:

0ibbnl2qo3v3.png

Notice anything missing?

How the hell did you get rid of Ascender's Bane?!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ascention 1

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Ascention 1

Ah, you're right! It's been so long now, I've always assumed that the AB curse was given to you by default. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Thanks for tuning in all =)

Also @MNC Dover for a while the We Meet Again! Event could ask for your ascenders bane. It was pretty funny.

(Also broken)

• Options
    Sorry to double post, but here's the VoD of the A20 Infinite Blades kill

@skippydumptruck commentary will hopefully visible in it!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Ascension 1 on Silent done with one of the most entertaining decks I think I've ever played:

F14FBEDB78B4F7306A5F7636C03D032EE009AE93

It turns out that 4 free armor every round (so long as you don't get hit) papers over a lot of other flaws.

Then, later on, a very power-heavy deck with a Bird-Faced Urn means I was basically at full HP throughout the last strata, and could go Elite hunting pretty much at will.

Panache + Envenom + After Image (innate!) + Thunder Bottled-Noxious Fumes+ + Letter Opener + Bursted Blade Dance+ ...

Even went up against the Awakened One, used a couple of key powers before he woke up, and then just burned him the hell down once he switched modes. I think I finished the fight at full HP.

At a shop at floor 46, I had the option to get the Bronze Scales or the Caltrop power. Scales were definitely the right choice. :D

Only downer was missing being able to buy a Kunai early on by, like, 20 gold.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think I don’t like the ironclad. I thought it would be silent, but I’ve had better experiences with her. Most of my ironclad runs are “you didn’t get whirlwind oops you died.” Silent starts slow but can become unkillable.

And defect will always be my favorite wizard robot.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I think I don’t like the ironclad. I thought it would be silent, but I’ve had better experiences with her. Most of my ironclad runs are “you didn’t get whirlwind oops you died.” Silent starts slow but can become unkillable.

Whirlwind? Pssh! Who needs that?

Get yourself a Barricade/Body Slam, self-damage/Combust, or exhaust/Block/damage deck going. That's where the money is at.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Whirlwind? Pssh! Who needs that?

Get yourself a Barricade/Body Slam, self-damage/Combust, or exhaust/Block/damage deck going. That's where the money is at.

(The money is not at the middle one of those, but it's a fun ride)

• Options
    I dunno, Whirlwind+ and any strength-boosting relic or abilities pretty much solves Act 1 and 2 by itself ... at lower ascensions it'll practically clear the whole spire.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    ... Or, you know, it can also half-ways carry you through A19. Whatever.
    I don't even know. I got a shovel, I dug for relics. I killed elites. I dug some more. I won. :S
    7usktngkxnfo.png

Shout-outs to a final score of 1420 for this truly "blaze it" deck.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Nice work! And yup, it can do that. Looks like a fun I SHALL MURDER ALL BEFORE I AM MURDERED deck.

Live when this posts, come and join if you're interested.

I'm probably going to beat the collector Donu & Deca, yay!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    ... Or, you know, it can also half-ways carry you through A19. Whatever.
    I don't even know. I got a shovel, I dug for relics. I killed elites. I dug some more. I won. :S
    7usktngkxnfo.png

Shout-outs to a final score of 1420 for this truly "blaze it" deck.

Look at all those relics, in Asc 19.

Glorious

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    agvpp7o2za97.jpg

I saw this in an art gallery window in downtown Seattle tonight

I'm pretty sure I need to kill it in 5 turns before it starts pummelling me

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Well, i can safely say i've lost this run.

Why?

Runic Pyramid/Black Star (there was no fourth energy) deck, and despite my best efforts, i've not found Mummified Hand.

Which given i'm running Double Creative AI and my first boss is awoken one....

Welp.exe

Edit: I'm happy to report we died on turn three to the awoken one, with none of the cultists dead. Friends dont let friends do Creative AI.

Edit: i think my deck just got a lot worse. i think?

I'm not sure.
    458DBF3BE45C104C380D8DF0994370A2AF8D8645

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Fucking glorious. It won against the heart.

That was... it was a DECK alright. it was the most amazingly hodgepodge thing and was a joy to pilot. Act 2 was staggering drunkenly around, being very glad i got the spirit bonfire early (Goodbye Envenom #3) because EVERY OTHER EVENT i took was a fight. Every. Single one. Oh, and not anything like Colosseum or Red Mask bandits (Which would have been amazing). Oh no. Just normal, vanilla, run of the mill fights.

Actually, seriously what the hell even. This deck took 14 events, 7 of them were fights. Got Snecko Skull thanks to Matroyshka, that really made the deck kinda... good. Got Paper krane which helped answer "Er... how r block?", ended the champ fight at 1 hp with the champ about to take exactly lethal on poison. Act 3 was "let's take mindbloom and get 2 normalities" a decision which literally helped save the run - 21 hp at the end of the heart. all those curses i got really came in handy (Not seen: a removed Shame, which i figured was more lethal to the deck than a single normality).

Mindbloom letting me buy Mummified hand, and later on Orange Pellets was just The Best - While i never got to orange pellets the Heart's debuffs, i regularly got to orange pellets off Wraith form's debuff, which made it crazy. Never got a chance to upgrade any of the deck, but it was just doing enough weird things in all directions it worked out. Taking Prepared and upgrading it right after really paid off multiple times. Same with an early Skewer in act 1 when i was like "I have crazy amounts of damage, but maybe..."

Awoken One was the first boss, and i kinda just... spammed powers against him and piledrivered him into the ground - Envenom/Noxius/Sadistic Nature/Snecko Skull (And a Kunai/Shuriken) did crazy damage and ripped it apart. Just picture the Silent running straight at Wokey, grabbing him, and supplexing him into a pull of toxic goo. Then doing it again and agin over the course of 12 turns.

@skippydumptruck will be very sad to know i removed the Accuracy from the deck asap. I did it just for you, Skippy. (Defintely not anything to do with the deck having like 1 shiv per deck rotation at the time).

This is why i freaking love this game. what a run. Shame i wasn't recording, but sometimes you just need to chill out and slay some spires solo

It's over champ. I am the toxic ground.

EDBAEC0CA0E8F2D5343913A32C80F1F45EFDF5D9A38D3FA804B0A7AE6ACB12779EDBD04DE9C20D1D

Side note to the thread: I'm really enjoying streaming - While i do wish i had a bit more chat interaction, i asusme that'll happen if i just keep up being regular with it. Thanks so much for encouraging me to get started with this =)

• Options
    That's maybe the most Pandora I've ever seen come out of the box. Genuinely shocking things actually came together, but a tale for the ages nonetheless. XD

• Options
    That's maybe the most Pandora I've ever seen come out of the box. Genuinely shocking things actually came together, but a tale for the ages nonetheless. XD

I think it helped that the deck (not counting Pandora) was Flying Knee, Noxious Fumes+, Dash+, Dagger Throw, Skewer+, Backflip, Legsweep, Cloak and Dagger, Neutralize+, Corpse Explosion (i saw like 4 of those this run) & After Image. Threaded Needle, and getting to go from 34 hp to 84 hp while removing Envneom, then removing accuracy all within the first 5 floors of act 2 were also a big deal. (I would have removed a second envenom too, except we found the Skull and ended up with other remove priorities)

That's actually one of my major deciders for Pandora's - do i have a decent chunk of defensive cards?

Like strategy talk here: It's fairly hard in this game to over do it defensively. Pandora's box tends to kill you because you were under-served on defences, it eats all your defends, and then you have a deck that has like.. 2 block cards in it, and then act 2 starts punching you in the face. Oops. But just walking out of act one with like Backflip + Legsweep is oft enough to make PB prettty goood - Especially if you've not removed any strikes yet. (In this case, this deck hadnt). PB also gets way better if you have any of the eggs - if you had two of the eggs, i suspect it'd be outright better than an energy relic (Like Astrolabe can be stronger than an energy relic depending on what your deck is doing, 2 eggs is enough to make PB almost certainly way more potent than Astrolabe).

Defends are only "Good" because you need to defend yourself in this game - objectively, they're pretty shitty cards that don't even block particularity well vs the energy they cost. But you get them for free and there's ways to make them kind of okay to actively good (upgrades, dex etc), and they're more universally useful than Strikes, which just fall straight off a cliff. so it's easy to end up thinking that defends are actually good cards, when it's more your deck is doing enough to make them good cards. (Like, imagine how good your deck would be if you could replace every defend with either Shrug It Off, Backflip, or Charge Battery. It'd be amazing!)

Strategy!

• Options
    Going live with more StS, come and join!

• Options
    A16 w/Defect complete!

dyeuq9ry3i0b.png

Got a mid-Act 1 Core Surge (pre-upgraded via Egg) and got through the Slime Boss. Took Astrolabe and swapped out my last 3 Strikes for: Hologram+, Streamline+, and Biased Cognition+. Yeah, that was awesome!

Most of the work came from getting Core Surge -> Biased Cognition than spam Ice/Lightning Orbs to win. The Time Eater was a pain because BC showed up first and my Core Surge ate a Weakened. Blech! Fortunately, a late Act 3 Creative AI picked up the slack and got me to a narrow win (10 hp left).

Special shout out to Hand of Greed which I bought in the Act 1 shop. Paid for itself and got me several extra shop items I wouldn't normally have been able to buy. I'm on the fence about the card. At near 200 gold, it has to activate 8 times to break even, which means you passed up on 200 gold of "right now" purchases.

I must also admit that I save scummed a several battles, but dammit I wanted this win!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I have a silent 20 run going right now where I took 2 skewers early, then a malaise on the first act boss

Upgraded the malaise in act two and found a chemical x, but didn't have enough for a second malaise that was available

Then in the third act I bought a Dolly's mirror and on the next space got a duplicator event

But it turns out giving the giant head -19 attack doesn't really help you.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    What you needed is a nightmare or two, then you could have ALL the malasies AND all the Skewers.

Very nice work @MNC Dover Hope you're feeling proud!

Managed to off the Heart at A20 as defect on stream, so that was nice. Less nice i had to reload a few times to figure out how to pilot the deck. I'd like to think i'm pretty good at drafting, but my playing skills are still iffy often. Echo'ing a 15e + tempest was pretty great tho'. Run was literally saved by getting Meteor Strike from the A4 elites.
    9A48F77F643DCA9651E9ADB356E8C86F0ABC1BDE

I'll edit in a link to the vod once i've got that sorted.

Edit: VoD here.
    This is honestly a pretty interesting run - Snecko/Necronomicon is not my usual Defect approach at all.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Sometimes you get a deck and it's so OP you have to question if it should even count as a win. Just stare at this gem for a second. See if you can find the absurd synergy...

blwgbvzgm23s.png

Here's how it all went down:
    • Took Nightmare from first Elite fight. Maybe I can do something cool with it down the road...if I survive.
    • Got a Pocket Watch and Mummified Hand. Cool! I'll look for Powers and high impact Block cards.
    • Beat the first boss and got the Eternal Feather. Ugh...I'm getting whipped up on something unfair.
    • Found Corpse Explosion and bought Noxious Fumes. Ok, got a long term Poison plan working.
    • Get the Toxic Egg from a Treasure Chest. Sweet!
    • Transformed 2 Strikes into Andrenaline+ and Sucker Punch.
    • Granted Burst+ from a fight. WOW! Now I can drop x4 Noxious Fumes for 12 Poison/turn!
    • Start poisoning the shit out of things.
    • Chest gives me Preserved Insect. No way I'm hunting Elites with this deck.
    • Apparition Event.......

OH MY GOD! THEY COME UPGRADED?! Next fight before the boss an Apparition and Nightmare show up in my opening hand. Wait...will this work the way I think it will?!

YUP! 3 more Apparitions in my next hand, for a total of 6 in the deck. Walk all over the boss and get....

BURST+?!

OH SWEET MERCIFUL HEAVENS!! Proceed to walk all over the third act like it was nothing. Well-Laid Plans+ meant I could always hold 1-2 Apparitions and Escape Plans x3 gave me huge cycle to find Apparitions before WLP went online. After that, I simply Burst an Apparition for x2 value on each Apparition.

Mid-level Treasure Chest gives me Sneko Skull! LOL! As if this could get any more OP. The poor Awakened One really should have stayed asleep as my remaining Power Potion granted me Envenom. To rub salt in the wound, look at this:

9q5mituk06o9.jpg
    Turn prior was Burst+ -> Nightmare+ for 6 additional Apparitions.

So yeah, A16 emphatically defeated!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah Silent can do some gross things with Nightmare :D

Congrats!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @MNC Dover Nah, you earned it. rember - decks dont get absurd for no reason! Your routing, card choices and plays let it get to that absurd point! Feel proud of your skills, dood! (Seriously, it's super cool seeing you all Slay the Spire more and more!)

Also, i'm going live for a while, Saturday Stream night~

Edit: Heeee.

I just beat the heart on stream with 3 cards left in my deck and 11 hp. 2 were burns. (It was a 33 card deck at the start of the fight! and there were 5 statues added too!). I also ate the Slime boss, The Collector, Time Eater... Didnt get to eat the Wokebloke (Boo), and hilariously screwed up on floor 48. "Hmm, 4 enemies, i should be able to eat all 4 of them!" *casts immolate after shockwave, with paper phrog*

Oh.

I may need to clip that, it was hilarious
    FDCD4C2151AF48BEC0AA1D74F63B1A21E30D8148

Really fun run, and another good example of ways you can win as ironclad - Paper phrog for raw damage (We lit only found the Spot Weakness on floor 47, and had been carrying a dead limit break for quite a long time thanks to a transform), with +Max HP and some good ol' corruption/feel no pain for defense. Mostly just face-tanked bosses and blew everything to pieces with immolate. It was great.

Run was literally saved by Mango, Pear, and Torrii too

Edit the second: Done for now. Here's the vod of the above mentioned win:

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Oh I do not like A17. These regular hallway fights are tough.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I hit A11 on all 3 characters and I am now feeling like I need to re-evaluate my card choices and tighten up my play.

My personal goal originally was A10 across the board but now I think I can get to A15 if I put in the work.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

A18 has been the biggest jump for me.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I dunno but I just started to get through A4 with everybody.

I feel like if I went back to the normal mode it would be laughably easy.

• Options

A17-19 is a real kick in the teeth with all the AI changes to everything - like Bronze Automaton stops being stunned when it Hyperbeams, Shield starts putting burns on top of your deck, Nob will ALWAYS buff, debuff, Big attack, big attack...

Fun times, fun times.

@Ethea You can do it! My biggest advice in gneeral for anyone would be slow down your play - spend more time thinking about what you can get out of a card pick, or what a play gets you and why.

(Anyone who watches me stream knows this is my biggest fail area).

On that note, i'm going live now, come and join!