As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I've had the occasional turn where I've drawn 8-9 cards and went "I want to play none of these" and then played the Calculated Gamble I also drew.

But then, that's what Calculated Gamble is for.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Watched Celerity get an early Tingsha and build a sick discard deck

Lots of acrobatics calculated gambles and eviscerates/underhand strikes, with blur after images and thousand cuts for passive block and damage

Beasteh on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm getting wrecked in Ascension level 2. Thoughts?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Fight less elites, probably.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Did they nerf the fuck out of Shrug it Off drop rates or something? I can't win an Ironclad run to save my life lately.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Shuffling your deck literally won't help you unless you have the frozen eye relic that makes the deck's state known. It is a random set of cards. Whether or not you shuffle it again has no bearing whatsoever on whether you'll draw another bad hand.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Shuffling your deck literally won't help you unless you have the frozen eye relic that makes the deck's state known. It is a random set of cards. Whether or not you shuffle it again has no bearing whatsoever on whether you'll draw another bad hand.

I think he wanted to shuffle his discards back into the deck.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina

Fight less elites, probably.

But my Relics! Seriously though, all the regular fights are way tougher. I fought a trio of the grub things before the boss that had 12, 10, 10 attack on turn 1. Well fuck me I guess.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    It's often incorrect to even think about hunting elites unless you get good RNG and a decent deck/relics and like black star

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

If it is any consolation A2 kicked my ass too on both characters, had to give it a few tries before I either got gud or RNG had some mercy on me, hard to say which. A1 doesn't really make the game much harder, you can dodge almost all the elites even with it. But when all the normal fights are harder that's impossible to avoid. Only advice I got is to activate Fast Mode if you are getting frustrated of having to play the early game over and over again.

Fast Mode has been on since the moment I learned of it's existence.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    getting nightmare with my whale random rare card sure was a nightmare. i almost beat the run but ended up with two turns of bad rng on the triple linked guys that 100-0ed me. Never cast it, that thing seems like it would only work with very specific decks.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    A pair of Backstabs, combined with Shivs from Cloak & Daggers and then Finisher makes for some hilarious Finisher damage.

Characters
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    getting nightmare with my whale random rare card sure was a nightmare. i almost beat the run but ended up with two turns of bad rng on the triple linked guys that 100-0ed me. Never cast it, that thing seems like it would only work with very specific decks.

Nightmare+ is a run winner, especially in shiv decks or anything that runs low cost powers. A bit slow tbf

I ate an engineer
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Nightmare is also hilarious in a snecko deck(o)

I ate an engineer
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    ya i could see that. just never got anything with it that really made sense.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Nightmare + Offering/Adrenaline/WhicheveroneisSilent's is still my favourite.

Characters
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Nightmare+ is a run winner, especially in shiv decks or anything that runs low cost powers. A bit slow tbf

I've seen it mentioned that Nightmare+ is super good, but I don't understand it. I feel like with silent you are trying to get all your powers up and stabilize in the early turns and after that you become increasingly powerful as the turns go on. Maybe you are gaining dexterity each turn or applying poison or gaining more and more AP each turn.

But that said, I felt the same way about bullet time. And then I had the whale transform a strike into bullet time and I built my deck around it and won.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Fry wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    One thing that I think this game needs before exiting early access is a re-shuffle choice.

There are runs that I straight up lose because of an early-game shuffle that leads to multiple bad turns.

I know they're coming, but there is nothing I can do about it.

I need a button I can hit to at least lose a turn -> shuffle my hand & deck.

I don't think I've ever had a situation where skipping a turn to reshuffle would have had any meaningful value. What does that look like?

I often see situations early in the game where I draw most of my blocks on a turn where I needed to be attacking. I know I'll need those blocks for the next couple turns, but they're about to be discarded and I'm going to be drawing attacks.

It's not one bad draw - it's several bad turns that I can see coming from a mile off.
    But there's no way for me to simply shuffle up.

Sokpuppet on
    edited February 2018
    Fiend Fire with Necronomicon and Dead Branch is just silly.

Edit: Oh god, if you have Blue Candle along with the above, you can just keep exhausting the Necronomicon for free cards.

Aegis on
    Characters
    furbat wrote: »
    milski wrote: »

I've seen it mentioned that Nightmare+ is super good, but I don't understand it. I feel like with silent you are trying to get all your powers up and stabilize in the early turns and after that you become increasingly powerful as the turns go on. Maybe you are gaining dexterity each turn or applying poison or gaining more and more AP each turn.

But that said, I felt the same way about bullet time. And then I had the whale transform a strike into bullet time and I built my deck around it and won.

Nightmare+ and Catalyst+ turns 10 poison into 810 poison. Using it on Nox Fumes isn't quite as good, but enemies getting 15 poison stacks every turn sure does add up. With it and Accuracy you can get Shivs that hit for 29, and so on and on. It's kinda pain to use since it takes so much energy to first play it and then to play all the copies next turn but since it can win boss fights for you it can be worth it. And for trash you can always use it to copy a 0-cost card like Neutralize.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    Man, I am my own worst enemy in this game.

1) Loose half HP to transform 2 cards.

2) Get event where I sac health multiple times to get relic.

3) Sac 7 more health to lose a card.

Ok, my deck is looking sweet. Time for the first elite! Oh wait, I have 7 hp. And there goes my winstreak.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Had a searing blow deck going, was down to 10 cards, 3 of with were matalisize and 1 armaments+. grabbed dead branch without thinking. Was doing great until I Hit triple artifact elite group.

Every daze disappeared and turned into some random card. so much for my searing blow +5

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    If people enjoy this game i wanted to call out two others that you may enjoy. One is Dream quest, an iOS app with very simple graphics but excellent game play designed by the guy hired by Blizzard to make the dungeon runs (which many of you probably know already).

The second is Monster Slayers. It’s a complete game that came out a year ago. It features fewer cards than Slay but with many more classes and different kinds of interactions. Notably from recent conversation it has a mulligan mechanic. They are different enough you’ll find both rewarding differently.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/496620/Monster_Slayers/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/557410/Dream_Quest/

fwKS7.png?1
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I've mentioned Dream Quest here, because yeah is similar and good. I'll have to check out Monster Skaters sometime, thanks!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    I played Dream Quest for over 20 hours and still never learned to tolerate the "art". :?

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Managed to beat Time Lord as a machine-gun silent, somehow. Carefully timed the shutout and made good use of Phantasmal Killer. Definitely though I was screwed as I was climbing the final floors, though.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Haha, finally got to try out the Barricade/Entrench/Body Slam combo, it is incredibly dumb! I think the only archetype I've not spent any time with is Exhaust, which seems like entirely too much hard work.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nah Exhaust is faceroll easy. Get Feel No Pain, get Fiend Fire (and ideally Demon Form+), laugh and win.

Early in the run, I have the choice of Terror, Blur, or Escape Plan. I really like all of those.... Which is best, do you think?

I went with Terror.

Steam profile
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of Blur.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Terror is one of my favorite cards, I would totally have gone with that. Blur is also really good. Escape Plan is fine but for the chunky decks I usually play it's not especially exciting, it'd be a lot better if I could keep a sufficiently slim deck.

• sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Haha, finally got to try out the Barricade/Entrench/Body Slam combo, it is incredibly dumb! I think the only archetype I've not spent any time with is Exhaust, which seems like entirely too much hard work.

Exhaust is pretty easy to make work even without dead branch. Mostly stack good block cards (shrug etc), body block, feel no pain, and a finisher (usually fiend fire). Grab corruption when you can. Then you basically do chip dmg with body block until you get a huge turn. Sentinel can be good for extra energy production.

Dead branch helps but isn’t necessary

Also if you're ever given Ashes of Charon, drop what you're doing and make the deck an Exhaust deck if at all possible.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So basically if im trying to make an infinite first turn deck, I need : 2 of the colorless 6 damage + draw a card (or one and the card that dupes it), and a deck size less than the number of cards i draw in my starting hand? basically just draw my entire deck, dupe the colorless, colorless, colorless (until dead) right?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    kime wrote: »
    Early in the run, I have the choice of Terror, Blur, or Escape Plan. I really like all of those.... Which is best, do you think?

I went with Terror.
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Blur.
    Fry wrote: »
    Terror is one of my favorite cards, I would totally have gone with that. Blur is also really good. Escape Plan is fine but for the chunky decks I usually play it's not especially exciting, it'd be a lot better if I could keep a sufficiently slim deck.

It didn't end up mattering. I got Dead Branch and then a couple Shiv cards, so meme deck incoming :P

Steam profile
    Exhaust is that kind of mechanic where at first you're like "But I only get to play those cards once, what if I want to use them later?" and then play with it once and go "Oh, everything just dies before any of that matters"

Characters
    So, the Collector got updated in a recent-ish patch. I think I've only played him once since then. It seemed to me that he respawned his little duders a lot faster than before. Is that just me, or is that true? It seemed like by the time I killed them, they were respawning a turn or two later. Is it even worth killing the minions?

That was also a pretty bad deck, so it could have just been the fact that it was too slow to kill them :P

Steam profile
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I play beta, but the collector spawns them in groups of 2 now, on every spawn, instead of 3 to start then 1 at a time after.

BSoB wrote: »
    I play beta, but the collector spawns them in groups of 2 now, on every spawn, instead of 3 to start then 1 at a time after.

Yeah, that change is live. Maybe it's the fact that he'll spawn 2 at once that threw me off.

Steam profile