As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dissidia Mobile] Aranea you folks gonna skip the new Global First character?

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    A second wave of community score rewards just dropped. A bunch of stuff included in it, along with 50 more high shards of every color. SE is being really generous with high shards for GL. There's not quite enough to fully max out two characters, but we're edging closer for white and yellow crystals.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    All these high shards make me feel pretty good about capping folks like Bartz. I'm really glad they're not being stingy.

It's been a really good couple of weeks for the game hasn't it? Lenna EX was a breaking point, but they took the bad feedback in and made some adjustments.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just capped Bartz and WoL (along with Terra), and went back in to finish off Zack EX and it was pretty much a cake walk. Missle after getting mastery is a crazy brave battery, and Shield Toss with the extension is no laughing matter either.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    There's almost too much to do right now. Got lucky and got Cloud's EX weapon but all my other pulls keep giving me Tifa's 15 and I don't have Cloud's 35 so he's not optimal. Still, Terra-Cloud-Lillisette wrecks face 99% of the time. I'm having so much fun right now, just a little overwhelmed with so much stuff.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Probably need to work on that top one but eh

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Just for fun, I decided to do some ticket pulls on the Cloud EX banner, and my first draw was Cecil's 35 CP. Yeah, sure, that works for me!

• Options
    And as of this morning we have earned the second round of co-op rewards. That's another 15 tickets, 600 gems, 50 of each high share, and 20 armor tokens, I think?

I'm tempted to invest the tickets into one of the current banners, but I've already put so much into Cloud EX that it seems silly to keep going, even if my chance at a weapon being an automatic power stone is unchanged. Maybe I'll wait until maintenance is over and this week's mystery event drops.

• Options
    I put some of those tickets into Cloud EX banner like a moron

But I got Cloud EX after 5 tickets sooooooooo I guess those high shards weren't wasted after all

• Options
    Don't tell me that, you're making it harder for me to not just drop even more in that banner. I have to save for Alisaie if I want a shot at Terra EX.

• Options
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna save for Terra's EX, I'm kinda tempted to use the tickets on Cloud, but I like Terra more. :smile:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Man. I never get the good shit. I mean, I know I'm pulling for an EX weapon, but still. at least I got...everything else on the banner at least once as opposed to shantotto's EX.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I pulled a bunch on the Cloud EX banner and the only 35cp weapon I got was for Bartz (given, I did get 3 copies of it, but still). Gacha gonna gotcha. It's cruel like that.

Reminder there should be a maintenance on Wednesday that will reveal whatever event will drop that night. Some guesses include Noctis event, which might be a blessing or a curse depending who you are. If we go by the JP schedule, EX fights for events will be going up to difficulty 100 from our current 80.

• Options
    Okay, I have to post this.

I went back with a better game plan to complete Zack EX. Crushed it by primarily switching out the friend Cloud EX I tried with before for a Terra friend and crushed it. Collected my rewards, and went to look at the banners one last time.

"8 tickets from completing Zack's event," I thought to myself. "I can celebrate by using those tickets as a final attempt at Cloud's EX weapon before truly giving up on it."

Full pull was a gold orb... Cecil 15cp. Again. I haven't shared this, but from this banner I have gotten a total of 6 copies of that sword. Okay... trolly start. Let's see what else comes from it.

In the next few tickets i got a Bartz 15cp and another Cecil 15cp (total is now 7 copies). I'm down to my last ticket. I pull and...

CLOUD FUCKING EX. It finally happened, on the last possible ticket I could mine out of the game. After all that torment and trolling of Cecil weapons, the game finally threw me a bone. Perhaps it was an apology for all the effort I had to put into getting Thancred's 15cp weapon last weekend? I don't know. But oh my God. Now I don't even know if I want to pull for Terra anymore when she rolls around.

I have plenty of gems left, mind you, but those have to be reserved for future banners.

So... yeah. I have a fully MLBed 60/60 Cloud EX now. I am leaving my friend as Kuja for the time being since he's seeing a bunch of use, especially with all the cycle farming people have been doing recently, but if you need something to brute force content with, let me know and I can switch.

• Options
    First off, grats Xerink!

Second, I've been wondering about the silver/gold orbs. Do they actually mean anything? I mean, I've gotten 5* weapons from both blue/regular, as well as from the other orbs, so is there an actual meaning to them? Other than to troll me as it seems like they always stay an inordinate amount of time as silver just teasing me at the possibility before popping as another Rem 4* armor. :bigfrown:

• Options
    I'm not really sure how the orb colors work, especially for single draws, since bronze and silver orbs can mean 5* weapons just like gold orbs. For 11 pulls, if you watch the whole animation a bronze will be 3*, silver 4*, and gold 5*.

• Options
    The orb colour means something in JP but not global

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I think I broke it:

D3iTE9Xl.jpg

• Options
    Oh boy...

Noctis is coming Wednesday night. I will do a mini-review of him later this week, but as a heads up for anyone considering pulling for Noct, keep in mind that he arrives with his own EX weapon and the general consensus of other parts of the web is that he NEEDs all of his weapons (15cp, 35cp, and Ex) to be a valuable powerhouse. This is tricky since we just had the Cloud and Shantotto EX banners drop and Noctis is a brand new character (no chance to get any of the weapons previously). If you're going to pull for him, you'll either need to pull hard or get very lucky.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I think I'll be skipping Noct. Maybe a few tickets for fun but that's it. I need to save!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Noctis is an easy skip for me; though I am playing FFXV and enjoying it, he appears to be a pure DPS with a launch mechanic and I've got enough of that already in Cecil/Cloud.

I know he was one of the first (or the first?) totally new characters with an EX in JP; does the "this character needs their 15/35/EX to function" thing continue, or did they back off a bit on making the EX a vital part of their kit?

• Options
    I don't know entirely; I don't watch too far ahead on our schedule for what's happening in JP. What I can say is that the next several months of character events will feature EX weapons for older characters rather than the event character themselves. Since the EX weapons on these banners are designed for characters with full kits, they tend to be nice to have but not necessary for a long while (like Cloud and Shantotto EX). I think we do eventually get to the point where all new characters are designed with EX in mind (or Lost Chapter characters designed with EX in mind), but Noctis is the exception for us for a while.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    From a quick skim of the DB, it looks like the next characters to release with EX weapons are Agrias and Locke, and those are both way out. It doesn't look like Agrias' EX weapon is especially necessary, but I think Locke's probably is.

After that, I think the difficulty has crept to the point where your DPS are just generally expected to have EX weapons for top-end content, so...

Fry on
  • Options
    Oof, brutal math regarding acquiring EX weapons.

139 tickets -> 50.2%
    460 tickets -> 90.0%
    598 tickets -> 95.0%

7 multis (35k gems) -> 50.8%.
    23 multis (115k gems) -> 90.3%
    30 multis (150k gems) -> 95.2%

• Options
    The best read there is if you really want an EX, save gems not tickets.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    The best read there is if you really want an EX, save gems not tickets.

I don't think it really matters whether you save gems or tickets. The "+1" on an 11-draw is worth roughly the same on average as ten tickets, so if you compare 11-pulls vs stacks of 20 tickets, you'll see that the results are pretty close. Either way, you're going to have to do a lot of pulling to have a decent chance of getting an EX.

There's a slight preference for "use gems on banners where you want lots of the items, and tickets on banners where you're only after a few things" since gems pull in blocks of 11 while you can stop tickets as soon as you get the item(s) you're after.
    For me there's also the consideration of "I'm close to the cap for tickets, while I'm nowhere near the cap on gems" so I should spend more tickets :X

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Since we will have a SE stream tomorrow that will go over the schedule of events for the month, I will go ahead and do my Noctis overview a little earlier than usual. I'm also going to do something different where this will be a little more substantial than past reviews as Noctis is going to be our first character released with his awakening, and he is getting an EX weapon. I'll explain his base skills, how his 15cp and 35cp weapons modify them, and then what his Extend passives bring to the table. Finally, I'll touch on what his EX weapon means for his kit. Also, a final note: Noctis uses BLACK crystals, so if you think you'll want to awaken him keep that in mind. We should get another 100 high shards for green and black (since the synergy characters that are awakened for the event are Noctis and Rem), so there will be some available to start.

Also, while I am breaking this down in this way this time, I am doing it more to highlight how Noctis was designed with awakening passives and all of his weapons in mind. In the future I will discuss characters under the assumption they are fully awakened.

Noctis's first ability is called Shooting Star. It's a two-hit BRV attack where the second hit will AoE. The gimmick with this and his other ability is that using them either against a broken enemy or breaking an enemy with them causes them to transform into a + form for one use which has other advantages. In the case of Shooting Star+, it does some more damage baseline and plays with turn manipulation. After using Shooting Star+, Noctis's next turn will be moved to right before the target, regardless of when it occurs. This means he can chain multiple turns together with clever use of his + ability right before a boss acts, or can backfire hilariously if the boss just used a slow attack (think turtles right after withdrawing into their shell). His 15cp weapon is perhaps the most boring of the bunch: it will increase the potency of Shooting Star and cause it to give Noctis a Small Max BRV Up. However, with his crystal strength 55 Extend passive, the real power starts to shine. Besides a simple potency boost to the attack, Shooting Star+ will now launch the target. The big kicker here is that because Shooting Star+ is AoE, it will set any secondary targets right at launch status, meaning in a multi-target fight you could chain several launches back to back.

Noctis's second ability is called Death Drop. Death Drop shares the + mechanic that Shooting Star has following either breaking an enemy with the attack or hitting a broken enemy. By default, Death Drop is just a basic BRV attack. That's it. However, his 35cp weapon drastically changes Death Drop to the point is changes named to Warp Strike (think Tidus 35cp and you get the idea). Warp Strike is instead a BRV+HP attack, increases the potency of the attack, and causes Warp Strike+ to give Noctis a Small Atk Up buff. Following this, Noctis's crystal strength 60 Extend passive increases the potency of the attack, but adds something new to Warp Strike+. After using Warp Strike+, Noctis gains one stack of a unique framed buff called Armiger for 5 turns. While Noctis has Armiger active, he will deal an extra BRV attack with each use of his abilities, and Armiger stacks up to 5 times.

If you look at this kit you are probably wondering why Armiger stacks are so hard to get for what seems to be an essential part of Noctis's power and kit? The answer is his EX weapon. His EX ability, Conjure Armiger, on top of being a single target BRV+HP attack, gives Noctis 2 stacks of Armiger for 5 turns baseline (and 3 if you limit break his EX weapon). Along with Armiger causing his abilities to trigger an extra BRV hit (that gets stronger with more Armiger stacks), it also increases Noctis's Max BRV for the duration of the effect.

Because of the way Noctis is designed, you need him fully awakened (so he can trigger launches and get Armiger stacks from his + abilities), his 35cp weapon (so he has a BRV+HP attack), and his EX weapon (so he can gain, and more importantly, maintain Armiger stacks). The only weapon passive he can possibly get away without is his 15cp weapon since it only gives him more Max BRV on his own and a potency increase, but then he needs an outside source of that buff. So, realistically, Noctis needs all three weapons to reach his full potential.

With that said, Noctis is not useless if you only get his 35cp and try to run with that; it will just be a harder hill to climb and he will lose relevance much faster. One thing you will find is not up for debate is whether he needs his awakening passives. Unlike some of the awakenings we've seen so far, Noctis really needs his 55 Extend so he can trigger launches and he needs his 60 Extend so he can juggle some Armiger buffs. So, if you want to invest in Noctis, be ready to invest A LOT to get him going.

I'm intentionally leaving out a should you pull comment because it is challenging to answer. Noctis is, no doubt, a very powerful character with turn manipulation and launching potential, but you need to get all of his weapons to make the best use of that kit. Considering we still have the Chapter 11 and two EX banners running for another week, and a lot of us have dumped our stashes into those banners, I get the reeling I'm not the only one feeling from a need for a breather from banner pulls.

I hope this word dump helped some people understand where Noctis stands right now. Going forward, new characters will come with their awakening and, like Noctis, they are designed with their awakening passives in mind. Those future characters will also require the crystal investment to work right. Luckily, we won't have the torment of having to pull for 3 new weapons for a single new character at once again for a few months (as was mentioned above, pending not too much messing with events, we will go another 7 character events after Noctis before a new character debuts with their EX weapon).

Edit: Fixed typos in the post.

Xerink on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Stream is starting..

New winter themed mog sticker starts Nov. 30 with login bonuses.

Limited time Winter Walz quest.
    - Solo only , 10 a day
    - 2 waves random boss
    - Drops unique festive support items x2 rewards, items, etc
    - Token exchange
    - can't use cycle keys

10,000 free gems for 10th anniversary of Dissidia (1000 per day)
    Daily free single Draw w/ 4* or higher on campaign draw

Rem Stickers!
    Noctis and Alisae Events
    Trials of Bahamut
    Krile LC
    Snow LC

They are also giving out 5k gems and 20 tickets as a gift.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Man. I dont know how I'm gonna finish the last mission for thancred's LC without like...pumping a lot of time and gems into him.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    You could just not give a shit about it

The time and effort required probably isn't worth 500 gems

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I mean. it's 1500 gems. plus 20 white crystals, plus 20 yellow crystals plus 5 draw tickets. It's just a shame my thancred isn't really kited out for it

Edit: Oh right terms. I meant the quest itself. Like I cant clear the quest at all, not just the last score.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Who are your options for awakened characters, heenato? If you can clear it out, even without Thancred, you can get most of the rewards from the stage. You'll miss out on some high shards, but we're getting enough that not getting everything will slow down your awakening rate but not ruin it.

• Options
    the ones I have well equipped are Terra, Shantotto, I guess Ys'tola and sort of yuna.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    And what do you have for late-era 50-capped characters?

One thing I can think of trying with your awakening characters is Terra, Shantotto, and Y'shtola. Y'sh can help with slowing down the bosses and providing battery to Terra and Shantotto can apply poison to help drain some BRV on top of her heavy BRV shave. Even better if you have her fully awakened so she can use a BRV+HP attack after getting hit.

You can try Ifrit as a summon, or, perhaps, either Leviathan (not so useful for element enchant since only Terra would benefit), or even Alexander for the HP regen after taking hits. You will take some hits. The trick is to hope they are spread out.

A good friend Terra I think would work best, or possibly even a Shantotto for the imperil from EX. I think I would lean more towards Terra, though.

Xerink on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    For 50s I have Eiko, Lightning (Though I think she ONLY has her 35) Ashe, Garnet, and uh...that's about it. I haven't had the best luck of the draw

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Yeah, that sucks if that's all you have to work with at the moment. If you can't clear it before the timed missions go away, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you cleared out the lower difficulty quests in hard. The rarest commodity is high shards, and starting Thursday we'll be getting a ton of free gems and more high shards with the anniversary / winter quests.

• Options
    Yeah. I suppose it's not a big deal with how much stuff we'll be getting. Plus I'll probably get it eventually.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Good luck on completing it, heenato! You still have a few days to work on it. Who knows, maybe you get something great from one of the daily free draws or the Noctis banner (if you decide to pull on it).

• Options
    probably not gonna pull on noctis. I'm still real big on trying to get shantotto's EX, plus I'm trying to get Vaan set up anyway, so I'll pull on that banner more when I get the chance.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I think the sand krakens are weak to lightning, so Lightning might be a good pick. AOE debuffs, especially speed, can be a big help (I used Laguna; Lilisette would also be a great choice). You could try using your Terra plus a friend Cloud or Terra along with one of the summons that hits the kraken's weak points (Pandemonium is what I used, IIRC) to try to burn one of them down quickly. If you can get rid of one of them, that'll make the other much easier to deal with - the turn delays from two active krakens really compound.

Note that the two krakens are different levels (the one on the left is lower). Some guides I read suggested going after the one on the right first, because it's the bigger threat, some guides suggested going after the one on the left first since it has significantly less HP so it's easier to get it dead.

• Options
    only I would pull this many times on a banner and get everything EXCEPT what I'm actually looking for.

M A G I K A Z A M