As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

this Wii Thread had a terrible name so I changed it

• DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's a retarded idea. A game with a good control scheme doesn't need an "easy" mode, because if the control scheme is good, then "easy mode" will be missing shit.

Defender on
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited July 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    It's a retarded idea. A game with a good control scheme doesn't need an "easy" mode, because if the control scheme is good, then "easy mode" will be missing shit.

It's a good idea because something like WiiSports is impossible to not understand

where as even a really good control scheme is way to daunting for most people

like Smash Bros is pretty basic, but fuck if most people I try to play it with can figure out what to do

Menace on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know there is a standard view as well?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Most people can't figure out what to do in Smash Bros. because it looks like an epileptic seizure on acid and that's before you add the drugs.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Most people can't figure out what to do in Smash Bros. because it looks like an epileptic seizure on acid and that's before you add the drugs.

maybe in 2001 when that kind of on-screen "busyness" was a new thing

but if that's your excuse now you should probably stick with 2d games

Anime Owns on
    edited July 2007
    Gym wrote: »

Have you played smash brothers?

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
    edited July 2007
    nope, never

I just talk about games that I've never played because I like to pretend I'm Defender sometimes.

Anime Owns on
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

nah man, there is never a need for that

I don't need stimulus overload from my games. Just show me what I'm doing and what the other guy(s) is/are doing and let me deal with that. Don't try to make it a better game by jingling a set of keys in front of my face.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    smash bros has an incredibly simple control scheme, especially for a fighting game.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited July 2007
    I like the eyebleeding visuals, but I'm sayin that most people I've tried to get to even look at the game don't.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

I believe it's intended for the younger audience, whereas the normal scheme will be intended for their parents. You do have to consider the sizeable audience that Nintendo attracted with Wii Sports and the DS, and the fact that many of them are not even in junior high yet.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
    edited July 2007
    smash bros has an incredibly simple control scheme, especially for a fighting game.

this is my other qualm with the game

I own SSBM and played it for about three days before getting bored.

What are the controls... jump, punch... like, REALLY punch...

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Man fuck that. The controls are super simple but the game is highly tactical and awesome.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
  • wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    also air dodge, roll, B attacks, grapples, spiking, wave-dashing. there's not that many attacks at all.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
    edited July 2007
    wombat wrote: »

I believe it's intended for the younger audience, whereas the normal scheme will be intended for their parents. You do have to consider the sizeable audience that Nintendo attracted with Wii Sports and the DS, and the fact that many of them are not even in junior high yet.

I understand that, but I dislike talking down to children.

Obviously I don't mind doing it to adults on internet forums, but the point remains that children don't need dumbed-down games, they don't need you to baby-talk to them, and they don't need totally clean stories with no sexual references or violence. People treat children as though they are infants, and I disagree with it.

Also, children can play some fucking hard video games. Remember the early NES stuff? I don't think I'm the only kid who beat the original Metroid, the original Zelda, the original Super Mario Brothers, and all those other abusively-hard games well before growing pubes. Kids can learn shit that's very complex and difficult. They don't need hand-holding.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    Aren't half the "moves" just quirks in the controls that players found through countless hours of running the game into the ground because holy shit I get to play as pikachu PIKA PIKA

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote: »

nah man, there is never a need for that

I don't need stimulus overload from my games. Just show me what I'm doing and what the other guy(s) is/are doing and let me deal with that. Don't try to make it a better game by jingling a set of keys in front of my face.

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/athfpics/suuper_computer.jpg

Also, don't GIS "OOG" by itself. Apparently that means "eye" in some dirty foreign tongue. Either that or it means "show me some pictures of eye surgery."

Defender on
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited July 2007
    SSBM is fucking amazing what the hell is wrong with you hurraagrgarrr

Menace on
    edited July 2007
    wombat wrote: »

I understand that, but I dislike talking down to children.

Obviously I don't mind doing it to adults on internet forums, but the point remains that children don't need dumbed-down games, they don't need you to baby-talk to them, and they don't need totally clean stories with no sexual references or violence. People treat children as though they are infants, and I disagree with it.

Also, children can play some fucking hard video games. Remember the early NES stuff? I don't think I'm the only kid who beat the original Metroid, the original Zelda, the original Super Mario Brothers, and all those other abusively-hard games well before growing pubes. Kids can learn shit that's very complex and difficult. They don't need hand-holding.

Holla.

Kids are traditionally far, far better at video games than adults, so the idea of a bunch of EA-type tools sitting around in a boardroom putting in a special mode of children to me seems like the embodiment of 'Talking Down' to kids.

Plus, kids are super good at learning new stuff, while us coots take data up at a slower rate. I think it's not only an insult to video game playing children everywhere, but a complete waste of resources to boot.

LOLEA.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Aren't half the "moves" just quirks in the controls that players found through countless hours of running the game into the ground because holy shit I get to play as pikachu PIKA PIKA

Are you saying that high-level tactics are bad?

Defender on
    edited July 2007

Are you saying that high-level tactics are bad?

I don't know if you're serious or not.

I'm pretty sure you've been on my side of this argument before.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited July 2007
    uh, I don't think it's for kids

it's for casual gamers

Menace on
    edited July 2007
    is someone gonna make a new thread or what

Anime Owns on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, SSBM is incredibly deep; there are many subtleties added in by the developers. It's basically a much better version of the first game.

Strato on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    Man, SSBM is incredibly deep; there are many subtleties added in by the developers. It's basically a much better version of the first game.

i wasn't implying otherwise, I'm totally psyched for December 3rd. What I was trying to say is that it's easy to learn and difficult to master. Hell, when I was playing as Pikachu against a friend's Shiek, we hit each other maybe once every twenty seconds. Half of the match was dodging and maneuvering.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited July 2007

i wasn't implying otherwise, I'm totally psyched for December 3rd. What I was trying to say is that it's easy to learn and difficult to master. Hell, when I was playing as Pikachu against a friend's Shiek, we hit each other maybe once every twenty seconds. Half of the match was dodging and maneuvering.

Oh, yeah. I agree with you. I was really replying to Monkeybomb who passed off the game as being childish. But if it's not your (his) thing that's cool. It's a really good game though.

Strato on
    edited July 2007
    there's going to be a terrible internet shit storm when they finally reveal that Brawl won't have online play

Anime Owns on
    edited July 2007
    Then they should release it for the 360!

How many Wii games really need the new controls anyway?

Strato on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

You have summed up all fighting games ever.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited July 2007
    Then they should release it for the 360!

How many Wii games really need the new controls anyway?

Pretty much none. Which really hammers on the point about it being a cheap marketing gimmick instead of a revolutionary, innovative game system.

That said, the star-shard thing in SMG looks like it's an appropriate use of the pointer feature. And for shooting where you don't need to move the screen (i.e. where all your targets remain on-screen), the pointer is apparently good.

I was talking to Musashi yesterday, and having looked at the specs for the Wii, we're actually wondering if 1:1 is reasonably possible. One obvious issue is that the Wiimote would need some in-game calibration because it has no idea how tall you are or how long your arm is. It would also need to assume that you are standing completely still and not even rotating your torso, which is pretty unnatural when you're pretending to swing a lightsaber, and borderline impossible if you're doing so with two hands.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    The only people calling it a revolutionary game system were the Nintendo marketing team.

it's a gimmicky console, no shit
    can we move on?

e: the first sentence doesn't seem grammatically correct, but I'm not gonna fix it ;o

Anime Owns on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Then they should release it for the Wii!

How many 360 games really need the new graphics anyway?

Pretty much none. Which really hammers on the point about it being a cheap marketing gimmick instead of a living lucid dream.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited July 2007
    Wow, so for months in the Wii thread, I got cursed at for saying it's a gimmick, and now I get "no shit, Sherlock."

Nice. Nice.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/84795.html?playlist=featured

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    you've scared pretty much every Wii defender away

it just isn't worth "debating" anymore

Anime Owns on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, so for months in the Wii thread, I got cursed at for saying it's a gimmick, and now I get "no shit, Sherlock."

Nice. Nice.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/84795.html?playlist=featured

that was actually funny

"Wii Fit goes with pretty much anything from Ikea."

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

Pretty much none. Which really hammers on the point about it being a cheap marketing gimmick instead of a living lucid dream.

You've ALWAYS been a fucking retard. Weren't you the person who said that games don't need better CPUs because they don't have AI and they don't do any intense calculation? Look, you goddamn retard, you don't know the first thing about game development, so I don't expect you to understand that the extra power of new consoles IS needed to bring about new gameplay experiences. But given that you don't know jack shit about the topic, I also expect you to shut your ignorant face.

Quick counterexample: Oblivion. Oblivion looks way better on the PS3 than the 360, and those are very similar systems. Taking it down a notch, to the previous X-Box, the game wouldn't have the CPU or GPU or memory to run as intended. It simply would not work.

Defender on
    edited July 2007
    you've scared pretty much every Wii defender away

it just isn't worth "debating" anymore

It's also becoming more and more clear that I'm right, when their big bombshell announcement is the game where you lean on a scale and do yoga poses and pushups.

Defender on
    edited July 2007

You have summed up all fighting games ever.

Yeah, there's certainly no strategy or anything. They're all based on control-scheme quirkiness.

Defender on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007

I'll take "better graphics, same gameplay" over "shitty graphics, bad gameplay" any day

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    Well I'm not exactly surprised WiiFit exists and is coming out. Nintendo said "we want to widen our market" and now they're doing it.

edit - so I'll believe them when they say they want to widen the market but not when they say their console is innovative hmmm interesting furthermore,

Anime Owns on
This discussion has been closed.