As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

this Wii Thread had a terrible name so I changed it

1585960616264»

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    Gym wrote: »
    Well I'm not exactly surprised WiiFit exists and is coming out. Nintendo said "we want to widen our market" and now they're doing it.

I wouldn't have a problem with them widening their market if it wasn't for the whole "games can't be challenging" thing

Garlic Bread on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    Strato wrote: »
    Then they should release it for the Wii!

How many 360 games really need the new graphics anyway?

Pretty much none. Which really hammers on the point about it being a cheap marketing gimmick instead of a living lucid dream.

You've ALWAYS been a fucking retard. Weren't you the person who said that games don't need better CPUs because they don't have AI and they don't do any intense calculation? Look, you goddamn retard, you don't know the first thing about game development, so I don't expect you to understand that the extra power of new consoles IS needed to bring about new gameplay experiences. But given that you don't know jack shit about the topic, I also expect you to shut your ignorant face.

Quick counterexample: Oblivion. Oblivion looks way better on the PS3 than the 360, and those are very similar systems. Taking it down a notch, to the previous X-Box, the game wouldn't have the CPU or GPU or memory to run as intended. It simply would not work.

Bull plop. You could have the same gameplay with a sufficient drop in graphics. Never said anything about CPUs.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Well I'm not exactly surprised WiiFit exists and is coming out. Nintendo said "we want to widen our market" and now they're doing it.

I wouldn't have a problem with them widening their market if it wasn't for the whole "games can't be challenging" thing

The last challenging Nintendo game was, what, F-Zero GX? They aren't exactly known for hard games.

Also, have I posted the walloftext about F-Zero GX? It's pretty funny.

Anime Owns on
    edited July 2007

The last challenging Nintendo game was, what, F-Zero GX? They aren't exactly known for hard games.

You store walls of text?
    Can I contract you to make a fort out of Defender's rants?
    Don't forget the buttresses.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007

according to the RE: Umbrella Chronicles developers or whoever, they had to make the game easier because it's on the Wii

Garlic Bread on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Pretty much none. Which really hammers on the point about it being a cheap marketing gimmick instead of a living lucid dream.

You've ALWAYS been a fucking retard. Weren't you the person who said that games don't need better CPUs because they don't have AI and they don't do any intense calculation? Look, you goddamn retard, you don't know the first thing about game development, so I don't expect you to understand that the extra power of new consoles IS needed to bring about new gameplay experiences. But given that you don't know jack shit about the topic, I also expect you to shut your ignorant face.

Quick counterexample: Oblivion. Oblivion looks way better on the PS3 than the 360, and those are very similar systems. Taking it down a notch, to the previous X-Box, the game wouldn't have the CPU or GPU or memory to run as intended. It simply would not work.

Bull plop. You could have the same gameplay with a sufficient drop in graphics. Never said anything about CPUs.

I'm sorry, but you're dead wrong. Shorter draw distances affect actual gameplay. Insufficient memory means that large enough scenes can't be loaded. You really don't understand shit about game development, so please just shut your face. Games like Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, and others would be ported to other systems if they could.

In fact, look at Ubisoft. They port EVERYTHING if it's reasonably possible. Why is there no Rainbow Six: Vegas, Assasin's Creed, or GRAW 2 on the Wii, the GC, the XBox, or the PS2? Ubisoft ain't shy about porting things. And for that matter, Oblivion was done on a cross-platform engine (Gamebryo) with which I have professional experience and can therefore TELL YOU that porting games written in Gamebryo is very easy IF the game will run on the target system's tech specs.

The reason they're not ported is because it's not POSSIBLE, and just "fewer polys and lower-tech shaders" doesn't cut it.

Defender on
  • Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    according to the RE: Umbrella Chronicles developers or whoever, they had to make the game easier because it's on the Wii

welp

alright

Anime Owns on
    edited July 2007

I'm sorry, but you're dead wrong. Shorter draw distances affect actual gameplay. Insufficient memory means that large enough scenes can't be loaded. You really don't understand shit about game development, so please just shut your face. Games like Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, and others would be ported to other systems if they could.

In fact, look at Ubisoft. They port EVERYTHING if it's reasonably possible. Why is there no Rainbow Six: Vegas, Assasin's Creed, or GRAW 2 on the Wii, the GC, the XBox, or the PS2? Ubisoft ain't shy about porting things. And for that matter, Oblivion was done on a cross-platform engine (Gamebryo) with which I have professional experience and can therefore TELL YOU that porting games written in Gamebryo is very easy IF the game will run on the target system's tech specs.

The reason they're not ported is because it's not POSSIBLE, and just "fewer polys and lower-tech shaders" doesn't cut it.

Yes, you would have to have a simpler graphics engine.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yes, you would have to have a simpler graphics engine.

You'd have to have scale back a lot more than that, to the point where the game wouldn't be playable. Like say, scale down your physics engine, which will fundamentally change how your characters move and how your environments are constructed, not to mention lords knows how many scripting elements. The range at which your AI interacts with each other and pathfinds. A bunch of gameplay elements that rely on you searching for and finding items off in the distance. Scenes that involve you walking through cities with dozens of NPCs wandering around in real-time. It's not always a matter of scaling it down, removing some textures and sounds and being able to play the thing on my SNES.

Brolo on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    you've scared pretty much every Wii defender away

it just isn't worth "debating" anymore

It's also becoming more and more clear that I'm right, when their big bombshell announcement is the game where you lean on a scale and do yoga poses and pushups.

Man, I missed this argument, and the thread of it seems to fade in and out... Defender, I take it you're unimpressed with the motion control concept of the Wii?

Brolo on
This discussion has been closed.