As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Adios, SUPERGENIUS!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    This season has been the worst from an overall game watchability standpoint (too many flags, easy to see bad calls, what is a catch, etc). I'm not surprised people checked out. Too bad since the superbowl was probably one of the best games of the season.

Also these numbers probably don't factor streaming into them. Looks like we had more options than ever to watch the super bowl via streaming.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Keep whatever rules they got going on about catches, though. It was hilarious how upset Collinsworth was getting over that first reviewed Philly TD.

I was boggling, I couldn't understand it

He caught the ball and ran in and broke the plane with the ball

I remain baffled as to what catch rules have apparently become in the NFL

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Keep whatever rules they got going on about catches, though. It was hilarious how upset Collinsworth was getting over that first reviewed Philly TD.

The first one was at least arguable. Based on precedent I thought it could be overturned

The second was nonsense. Yes it looked SIMILAR to Jesse James but he was so obviously a runner

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    The office has been glorious today

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

The first one was at least arguable. Based on precedent I thought it could be overturned

The second was nonsense. Yes it looked SIMILAR to Jesse James but he was so obviously a runner

Yeah that first one is iffy to me. Were I the head NFL officiating guy, I would've called that one back. That second one was a no doubt TD to me, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Doot doot, doot, da doot, da Tide ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gGXnE1Dbh0

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I loved the one with the Old Spice guy!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Someone here in the Taco Bell where I’m eating my Lunch of Sadness has the Old Spice whistle as his text received sound.

I expected to hear it end in “Tide ad.”

• Options
    Lunch of Sadness at Taco Bell? Whaaaa?

Regret a few hours later, I can understand. Sadness though? They do too much neat stuff with cheese at the Taco Bell for there to be sadness.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

I loved the one with the Old Spice guy!
    The most clever one was a short blurb just before going back to the game (you know, the "This halftime report brought to you by PEPSI" sort of thing right when you come back from a commercial). It had 2 David Harbours dressed in an Eagles and a Patriots uniform, looking like one of those faceoff-type sports stats screens, but then you realize it's David Harbour, and he just smiles and says "Tide ad". :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Lunch of Sadness at Taco Bell? Whaaaa?

Regret a few hours later, I can understand. Sadness though? They do too much neat stuff with cheese at the Taco Bell for there to be sadness.

No doubt why he’s there. Taco Bell to undo the Superb Owl sadness, and to create new sadness.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    People are pissed at this Weathertech ad because they thought it was an ad for Trump's wall. It is all rah-rah America first though so they aren't far off.

https://youtu.be/jr7W7smqXg4

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I mean, that's what I figured for about 80% of that ad's runtime.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    I don't see what there is to be pissed about, other than it's not entertaining. Then again, I don't 100% have a problem with the idea of "America first" as long as we're not acting like jerks about it towards other countries. Which you know...

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Smurph wrote: »
    People are pissed at this Weathertech ad because they thought it was an ad for Trump's wall. It is all rah-rah America first though so they aren't far off.

https://youtu.be/jr7W7smqXg4

Yeah anyone pissed about that as is just looking for a reason to be pissed about something. The very first sky shot of it shows it’s an outline of a building. And saying they built a factory in the US during a US sporting event, whether you care about that or not, is hardly offensive.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    No more, no less political than the T-Mobile commercial. Kind of a sad picture when every commercial has to have a political meaning (doesn't have to, but people choose to interpret them so). It's not like the NFL hasn't been politicized enough already.

am0n on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Yea, to be clear, I don't think the ad as a whole is political, other than being up front about who it's trying to appeal to, just that I guess I was ready to believe it was heading that way given generic construction of wall footage.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    So what happened to Malcolm Butler anyway

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

The rumor is that he missed curfew smoking pot.

Well, it's not like the Patriots needed a cornerback who could tackle well last night.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    am0n wrote: »
    No more, no less political than the T-Mobile commercial. Kind of a sad picture when every commercial has to have a political meaning (doesn't have to, but people choose to interpret them so). It's not like the NFL hasn't been politicized enough already.

The T-Mobile one was just weird.

It's, like, "Social Justice! Woo! And also we're a second-rate phone company, I guess?"

At least WeatherTec's ad was about WeatherTec as a company.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Oooh. 29 Super Bowl Records were broken or tied last night. Tom Brady broke or tied 7 records himself. Including his 505 passing yards, which broke the previous record or 467 in a Super Bowl. An ancient, time weathered record that stood for 1 whole year... set by Tom in the game against Atlanta :P

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    People in new Orleans were shooting fireworks for the eagles. That is all

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Well, it's not like the Patriots needed a cornerback who could tackle well last night.

BB basically has a blank slate to do whatever he wants, but this is the type of decision making that would get any other head coach shit canned

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular

The kinder rumor is that he missed the flight to Minneapolis due to flu, but the pot thing makes more sense. BB is a great coach, but he's still a conservative prick.

• Options

BB basically has a blank slate to do whatever he wants, but this is the type of decision making that would get any other head coach shit canned

Nah, maybe Butler should have put on his big boy pants and acted professionally, if that's actually what happened.

• Options
    Yeah, that's a tough position to be in. If he missed the flight because he was off smoking pot somewhere, I would punish him next season or something. That sends a bad message to your players though. You can do whatever you want as long as we win the game. Belicheck is no nonsense I guess, and the lesson here is "You broke my rule, and now you've let your teammates down too"

To be clear, I have 0 issues with anyone smoking pot (as long as it's on their own time, and not like... a cop on duty or something) But if the NFL or a team says "Don't smoke pot"(also don't miss the flight to the Super Bowl...) that's company policy, and as an employee you have to adhere to that or face consequences.

Assuming that's why Butler was benched, anyways. I doubt we'll ever hear from BB why the decision was made.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    No, that's bullshit. A company does not have any right to tell me or anyone else what to do in their spare time.

Football and jobs like it is different because part of the reason they are paid as much as they are is because they are representing the organization 100% of the time, and so they can be thought of as working even when just walking around town or even sitting at home.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    If it is something minor like weed, that is a really stupid move by BB. Your job as a football coach is to win football games and you do that by putting your best football players on the field. Yeah you probably need to set conduct standards but the time to do that is all of the other weeks of the season. If you're in the week of the Super Bowl and your players aren't taking your rules seriously, I think it's time to accept a defeat on the discipline front and go try to win the game anyway.

Of course, only speculating here, but if it ends up being a more serious situation, like if Butler was accused of a serious crime, BB will look smart for not playing him.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    If he didn't play butler over weed I will literally shit on Gillett stadium. He coaches for a weed legal state.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The thing that makes me think Gronk is actually considering retirement is apparently when asked about it he said "who told you that" instead of the standard "I'm gonna g to take some time and think about my options" deflection players typically use.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Veevee wrote: »
    No, that's bullshit. A company does not have any right to tell me or anyone else what to do in their spare time.

Football and jobs like it is different because part of the reason they are paid as much as they are is because they are representing the organization 100% of the time, and so they can be thought of as working even when just walking around town or even sitting at home.

actually I think I misunderstood what you were saying

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I wonder how many Eagles will skip the White House visit. On the one hand, I know that Long and Blount won’t go, and skipped it last year as well. Malcolm Jenkins and Torrey Smith won’t go either, and Rodney McLeod is probably a no-go too. On the other hand, the Eagles were one of the only teams where no one knelt this year (Jenkins, Smith and McLeod all raised fists). The Patriots sent 50 people to meet Obama in 2015 and 34 to meet Trump in 2017; I hope that the Eagles send fewer than the Patriots did.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I don't see what there is to be pissed about, other than it's not entertaining. Then again, I don't 100% have a problem with the idea of "America first" as long as we're not acting like jerks about it towards other countries. Which you know...

Its origin is as a white supremacist dog whistle in support of the Nazis dude.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/514037/

wdxlci6oge2f.jpeg

z12f7rkk23eg.jpg

05owx866e9y3.jpg

There is a fucking lot wrong with it even aside from that though. There is no way to put the US first without "acting like jerks about it" because the process of our industrialization (and the imperialism that fueled it) already screwed over the rest of the world in a way where the debt is only just now coming due (climate change, destabilization of the ME and Africa, etc.). We owe a debt to the rest of the world for our prosperity.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many Eagles will skip the White House visit. On the one hand, I know that Long and Blount won’t go, and skipped it last year as well. Malcolm Jenkins and Torrey Smith won’t go either, and Rodney McLeod is probably a no-go too. On the other hand, the Eagles were one of the only teams where no one knelt this year (Jenkins, Smith and McLeod all raised fists). The Patriots sent 50 people to meet Obama in 2015 and 34 to meet Trump in 2017; I hope that the Eagles send fewer than the Patriots did.

Trump will probably just invite the Patriots anyways.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Off-topic for the NFL thread, but I should probably clarify that I do not support white supremacy or any racism of any kind.

I was unaware that "America First" was a slogan appropriated by shit lords. I don't think the idea that a country prioritizing the well-being of its citizens is a bad thing, though. Isolating your country from the world, and alienating or straining relationships with long standing allies is a poor way to go about it though.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Maybe I missed it but the ad didn't mention 'America First' just that it built its new factory in America.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Off-topic for the NFL thread, but I should probably clarify that I do not support white supremacy or any racism of any kind.

I was unaware that "America First" was a slogan appropriated by shit lords. I don't think the idea that a country prioritizing the well-being of its citizens is a bad thing, though. Isolating your country from the world, and alienating or straining relationships with long standing allies is a poor way to go about it though.

This is why shitlords use that slogan though, because who would think Americans looking out for other Americans could possibly be a bad idea? In fact, it seems so self evident that one has to wonder why they even feel the need to shout it from the rooftops, like aren't all Americans interested in helping other Americans, and oh look turns out they're horrible people using this seemingly positive slogan to cover for their terribleness and hoping you don't look beyond the branding, and please don't dig too deep into what they mean by "American" thanks.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Sure, I wasn't saying you did. The point of coded language is that it sounds okay unless you think about it critically, in the context of other events.

It wasn't appropriated as a slogan by them though, they invented it.

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it but the ad didn't mention 'America First' just that it built its new factory in America.

isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!