As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Adios, SUPERGENIUS!

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited December 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
Early reports show the city of Philadelphia is still standing in spite of the best efforts of devoted fans.

Santa Claustrophobia on

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Still amped up over the game.

Happy it turned out the way it did for Foles too, really either team could've won and I would still have come away happy. Foles comes in as the back-up, plays like he's been out dueling QBs like Brady since he was 10 and this aint no thing, and also becomes the first player to ever have a receiving and throwing TD in the Super Bowl.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Said I wasn't going to watch the game, but did anyway and I'm glad I did.

One of the better games in recent memories.

• Options
    Always gotta watch the Super Bowl! I skipped it last year... still feeling those pangs of regret even now for missing that one live =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Had this on repeat all morning.

am0n on
  • Options
    I didn't watch the trophy ceremony, were Eagles fans singing Gonna Fly Now or did they pump that through the stadium? I remember seeing somewhere that that song came into play after Philly won.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Wow. That thread title is SALTY.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Just a reference to how the NFL is in the bag for New England. Not really anything against Philadelphia.

I'll change it eventually, but sooner if it really bothers anybody

• Options
    Just a reference to how the NFL is in the bag for New England. Not really anything against Philadelphia.

It annoys me because it's trolling and/or lazy. If the NFL was in the bag for New England, the Eagles could have had one fewer TD (not the go-ahead TD, the other one with an extended review), PI would have been called for Gronk in the endzone on the first Patriots drive, PI would have been called on the Hail Mary throw, etc.

The Eagles played a great game, Foles in particular played awesomely, Pederson called one of the best and ballsiest games in NFL history - leave it at that.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

It'll bother me if you do change it. :wink:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Other Super Bowl stuff!:

The Tide ads were probably my favorites. They were the most clever ads anyway. Very close second was the Doritos/Mountain Dew combo of Tyrion dropping barz, and God spitting some sick Missy Elliot jamz.

The halftime show was FUCKING BORING!* Either get Bruno Mars every year, or do away with the show altogether and stop needlessly extending halftime...

*The tribute to Prince was cool, although a bit too brief.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

It annoys me because it's trolling and/or lazy. If the NFL was in the bag for New England, the Eagles could have had one fewer TD (not the go-ahead TD, the other one with an extended review), PI would have been called for Gronk in the endzone on the first Patriots drive, PI would have been called on the Hail Mary throw, etc.

The Eagles played a great game, Foles in particular played awesomely, Pederson called one of the best and ballsiest games in NFL history - leave it at that.

The foles reception was also an illegal formation but who's counting

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    But also it would've taken brass balls to call PI on a Hail Mary on the last play of the super bowl with what they let go

There was not a chance in hell that would ever have happened

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Also as a patriots fan I'm used to everyone making up excuses for why we beat them

Sleep on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The refs did a really good job of letting those teams decide the outcome themselves. Skeletor is a good ref.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Was it? For all my incandescent rage at Collinsworth last night, he called out the formation as being legal since Foles started in the shotgun which made him an eligible receiver.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    But also it would've taken brass balls to call PI on a Hail Mary on the last play of the super bowl with what they let go

Did they call that pretty blatant helmet-to-helmet?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Also as a patriots fan I'm used to everyone making up excuses for why we beat them
    Hey, I may hate on the Pats pretty hard, but I'm honest about why they win. They're more often than not the better team.

That, and Belichick is the most prepared and talented coach in history. And not ALL of that has to do with his pact with the Dark Lord.

• Options
    Penumbra wrote: »

Was it? For all my incandescent rage at Collinsworth last night, he called out the formation as being legal since Foles started in the shotgun which made him an eligible receiver.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

On cooks? He was a runner at that point - brutal but legal

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options

I'm not even a Pats fan, and I kinda get annoyed with the whole "evil/cheating Patriots" meme...

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote:
    FWIW, Pennsylvania went for Trump. The New England states went for Hillary.

More fans in Not Trump’s America saw their team lose than fans in Trump’s America.

My God, it's last year all over again. :lol:

(I honestly just didn't expect the connection to happen again in such an identical fashion. Football...football never changes!)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I'm not even a Pats fan, and I kinda get annoyed with the whole "evil/cheating Patriots" meme...

Yeah it gets old.

I kind of want Tom to retire and the Pats to go back to a sometimes-playoff team so I can watch this shit and not get drowned in memes and insufferability.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Not an illegal formation because he checked with the side judge if he was on the line, side judge said he was, therefore it’s not illegal. Those are quite literally the rules.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Not an illegal formation because he checked with the side judge if he was on the line, side judge said he was, therefore it’s not illegal. Those are quite literally the rules.

So the refs fixed the game in favor of the Eagles?

Controversy!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I "root" for a close game every year, for the sake of entertainment. Including last one, while living in Georgia, surrounded by Georgia fans. As such, I was not displeased.

Even as a complete football philistine, though, I can get why having one team constantly reappearing in every one would get annoying. But I'll confess to feeling the same way about certain countries dominating Olympic events for decades (but at least that's not happening annually).

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

The rules are quite literally that the receivers head has to break the belt line of the snapper, which doesn't appear to be the case

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

But boy shouldn't it be in the future, the dude laying that hit had plenty of time to get low and deliver a good hit, and instead he knocked one of our better receivers out of the game by giving him irrevocable brain damage, minor as it is.

• Options

But boy shouldn't it be in the future, the dude laying that hit had plenty of time to get low and deliver a good hit, and instead he knocked one of our better receivers out of the game by giving him irrevocable brain damage, minor as it is.

Yeah. Tougher to legislate because they're tougher to avoid doing, but if there's any way to remove those hits they should. Players would adjust if they were illegal

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

It's what makes the whole "clean" hit statement such a farce. Like yeah, it's legal, it still fucked the shit out if the guy getting hit.

I don't know how you remove that from the game via rules or if you even can, but it's one of the things that makes the game so hard to watch any more, legal or not, regardless of rooting interest.

Like I'll root against the Patriots as hard as the next guy these days, but I'd rather Welker, Edelman, Gronk, Cooks, etc NOT get their brains fucked up in big playoff games even if it gives their opponent an advantage with them out of the game.

• Options
    Lol I didn't even see hogan get cleared out on the Hail Mary. That was a pretty clear flag, not like it would've made a difference (another Hail Mary from the 38 instead of 50? Who cares)

I had assumed people were talking about the scrum

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Like I'll root against the Patriots as hard as the next guy these days, but I'd rather Welker, Edelman, Gronk, Cooks, etc NOT get their brains fucked up in big playoff games even if it gives their opponent an advantage with them out of the game.

FWIW, Gronk is apparently mulling retirement.

And honestly? I think that he should at the very least seriously consider it. He really has nothing left to prove. He might not hit Tony G's career totals, but whatever. I'd rather see Gronk jog out onto a field as an honorary captain for games in the future than see him broken on a field again.

• Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »

FWIW, Gronk is apparently mulling retirement.

And honestly? I think that he should at the very least seriously consider it. He really has nothing left to prove. He might not hit Tony G's career totals, but whatever. I'd rather see Gronk jog out onto a field as an honorary captain for games in the future than see him broken on a field again.

If he's still talking about it in a month I'll believe it. Seemed more like disappointment talking to me - like earl thomas last year

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    With all the back issues he's had and the fact that he's basically reduced to a bionic arm now I wouldn't blame him either.

• Options
    24/7 gronk party cruise

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    24/7 gronk party cruise

Nice. There's definitely worse ways to die.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    My takeaways, this was probably one of the best superbowl's to watch in a while. Both teams were in it, the refs swallowed the whistle, and both sides of the ball made exciting plays. Halftime sucked really bad, I mean Katy, Bruno, Beyonce, Gaga were all so much better than this years. Commercials were a mixed bag, there were some really great ones (Tide, Doritos/mountain dew, Eli/Odell) but some really bad ones (all car commercials, beer ads).

A couple things I hope the NFL takes away from this. Pocket the flags, we get it, holding and such happens on almost every play, as viewers I'm tired of flags coming out every 5 minutes. If it's really bad, call it but loosen up the rules, it'll only help watchabilty. Also fix the catch BS, the refs got it right in this game and it made for a much better experience.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    A couple things I hope the NFL takes away from this. Pocket the flags, we get it, holding and such happens on almost every play, as viewers I'm tired of flags coming out every 5 minutes. If it's really bad, call it but loosen up the rules, it'll only help watchabilty. Also fix the catch BS, the refs got it right in this game and it made for a much better experience.
    My opinion about flags and catches is that the stuff that doesn't negatively impact the viewing experience should be ignored, and anything that unnecessarily escalates risk to players should be hammered on. For example, helmet to helmet, regardless of what a person is doing on the field, should be off-limits. Holding? Meh, whatever. OPI/DPI? Whatever. Going after someone's knees? Depends a bit on situation, but generally shouldn't be allowed.

• Options
    Keep whatever rules they got going on about catches, though. It was hilarious how upset Collinsworth was getting over that first reviewed Philly TD.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Keep whatever rules they got going on about catches, though. It was hilarious how upset Collinsworth was getting over that first reviewed Philly TD.

It did give me a great opening to send the "What is a catch, anyway?" SBNation article from a while back to everyone at the party.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

The linesman seems to OK the WR though when he points/checks w/ him.