As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Connecting old-ish speakers to a new PS4

admanbadmanb unionize your workplaceSeattle, WARegistered User regular
Hey all,

This is prolly going to have an obvious answer but my google searches were inconclusive.

I have a relatively old Samsung TV with HDMI and component inputs, but no audio out.

I have a pair of M-Audio speakers with component in, TRS L/R in, and aux in.

With my XBox 360 it was easy to hook up using the component in on both the TV and speakers. However, the PS4 Slim obviously uses HDMI to connect to the TV and only has digital/optical out for the audio. My question is whether there's a single converter cable that will provide good sound (with the benefit of being the simplest solution) or if I need a more complicated solution?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You can get an optical to analog converter for not a lot of money. Just make sure to set the PS4 to PCM or you're going to hate your ears.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter