As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    It seems just as laggy as it would be if you took a Google Home smart speaker into space. Must be connected to IBM's WATSON servers back on Earth.
    They just need to implement trigger words (like "Hey Simon!") to stop it from inadvertently misinterpreting conversations between crew members as commands/input.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Standing down from today's Falcon 9 launch, delaying to (hopefully!) tomorrow while they take an extra look at something on the upper stage.

If they DO end up launching tomorrow, that would be a launch out of Vandy one day, and a launch out of the Cape the next!

At this point that feels unlikely, but I REALLY want it to happen :surprised:

Space thread! Let's get into full hype mode - I am feeling it today and tomorrow!

That's right folks, we're gonna try to go back-to-back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mXZ4OJDQw8

First up on the docket: TODAY @ 1832 UTC (that's 10:32am Pacific, 1:32pm Eastern - just a couple hours from now!)

SpaceX is launching a Falcon 9 southbound out of Vandenberg AFB carrying 64 payloads! :surprised:

They're all headed to a sun-synchronous polar orbit, roughly circular orbit @ 575km

This is the THIRD flight of booster B1046, the first time SpaceX will attempt to fly a booster for the third time.

There will also be a landing attempt downrange on Just Read The Instructions, so hopefully B1046 can come back and prepare for a 4th flight!

Livestream link is already available, and heeeeere it is!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq8kS6UoOrQ

Second up, we've got a launch TOMORROW @ 18:38 UTC (that's 10:38am Pacific, 1:38pm Eastern - just 24 hours after today's launch!)

SpaceX is launching a Falcon 9 eastward out of Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral AFS carrying a Dragon spacecraft for CRS mission 16!

This is the second flight of this Dragon spacecraft, which last flew for CRS mission 10. This is the debut mission for the booster, which will fly back to LZ-1 to make its landing attempt.

Earlier this morning, a crewed Soyuz carrying 3 astronauts to the Space Station launched successfully, marking a return to crewed missions for the beleaguered launch vehicle. Onboard were Canadian astronaut (<3) David Saint-Jacques, Russian cosmonaut Oleg Kononenko, and American astronaut Anne McClain. The successful launch earlier this morning has given SpaceX's mission for tomorrow the ALL CLEAR, because otherwise it would not have been necessary.

Global politics aside, I would like to express gratitude to the Russian Federation for happily accepting our money in exchange for what is currently the only ride available to the International Space Station. Nevertheless, I am excited by the prospect that that will likely change in the coming calendar year. :P

Anyway! A busy couple days in orbit, as you can see! Let's fly, Penny Arcade! Let's fly, Soyuz! Let's fly, Falcon! <3

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Space thread! Let's get into full hype mode - I am feeling it today and tomorrow!

li1o2failfai.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Stream is live now, didn't realise that not only was this the third flight for the booster, but it's the third pad it's used as well, for a full set so far :cool:

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Huff, puff, made it back from lunch!

T-10 minutes to launch! :D

Stream is live now, didn't realise that not only was this the third flight for the booster, but it's the third pad it's used as well, for a full set so far :cool:

Particularly well traveled, especially for a first stage! :wink:

Sixty seconds to launch, enjoy the show, space thread! <3

Don't get a landing shot like that very often! The bonus of having JRTI closer to shore on this mission :surprised:

• Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    Watching that landing never gets old :)

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Woo! Touchdown! :D

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Short and sweet webcast, I'll be sure to keep everyone in the thread updated about payload deployment (I don't anticipate any issues!) and fairing recovery (Mr Steven is out there with the catcher's mitt, so we'll see!) :)

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    That was a damn impressive launch, and a perfect landing.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    That was a damn impressive launch, and a perfect landing.

They used to call it the "hoverslam", because it never really looked like it was going to slow down in time for the landing

But this time I was a little worried it had cut too much speed and was about to start heading UP again! :D

Comments on reddit are silly

I know, I shouldn't even be reading them, but that's where I source a lot of my updates from! :P

People not understanding that the fairings come down on parachutes, and therefore take much longer to return to Earth than 3/4ths of a rocket just did

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I know, I shouldn't even be reading them, but that's where I source a lot of my updates from! :P

People not understanding that the fairings come down on parachutes, and therefore take much longer to return to Earth than 3/4ths of a rocket just did

Not reading what you're looking at, but a lot of people vastly overestimate how long the first stage takes to come down, too. They seem to think it kind of glides down under power, rather than freefalling until the last possible second and then flooring the throttle.

Because that like an absolutely insane thing to do.

Hevach on
    Hevach wrote: »

Not reading what you're looking at, but a lot of people vastly overestimate how long the first stage takes to come down, too. They seem to think it kind of glides down under power, rather than freefalling until the last possible second and then flooring the throttle.

Because that like an absolutely insane thing to do.

Heh, exactly

The fairing halves glide down peacefully, by the grace of their own shape and then, soon after, because they deploy rather large parachutes

The first stage drops like a pin from space before slamming on the brakes three feet off the ground :wink:

Brief update: No news on the fairings (which, with SpaceX, generally is not a good sign >_>), but payloads are continuing to deploy nominally and, frankly, will for quite some time. There are 64 of them, it takes a while! :D

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Suicide burns are awesome to see. Even if (because?) doing one improperly becomes expensive.

The most dramatic style of landing being the most efficient is just a bonus.

steam_sig.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    link to this landing?

spool32 wrote: »
    link to this landing?

https://youtu.be/Wq8kS6UoOrQ?t=1634

Hopefully that timestamp worked? If not, ~27m10s onward :)

Final update unless anything changes:

Re: the fairings, Elon sez:

Re: the payloads, everything is nominal, another successful mission in the books! :)

edited December 2018
    The understanding previously is that there IS something wrong with a little swim for the fairings, so if Elon or SpaceX ever choose to clarify or expand on that statement, that would be interesting!

Edit: And that's me done with the space thread for today, darn it :P I'll be back for tomorrow's launch!

BeNarwhal on
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Supposedly the two main problems with the fairing halves being in the water are from mechanical forces of waves tearing them apart and water causing corrosion in the aluminium honeycomb sandwiched in the carbon fiber, something about the way the two parts are bonded causing problems with the normally corrosion resistant aluminium. Maybe they've started putting more effort into making the fairings water tolerant?

Seal on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Could just be acting optimistic, since A. that's still a lot of aluminum to recover and B. SpaceX has been the one venture to get consistently good press for him lately. The ocean hates machines, I doubt any amount of waterproofing attempt will let them get half the turnaround that catching it would.

Hevach on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A light coating of sealant could potentially protect the fairings long enough to prevent seawater damage before recovery, without adding significant weight to the fairings. Something like that wouldn't be difficult to add or remove, I would think; these things aren't going to be exposed to seawater for years at a time like boats, so no need for a thick heavy-duty coating.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was confused, because seawater is bad for metal

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Even if they can't reuse them, the good press from being able to recycle the things probably isn't a bad thing.

It's unfortunate that the fairing recovery hasn't worked so far. I assume that they're looking at ways to tweak things. If nothing else they should look into renaming Mr. Steven with a proper Culture name. Make sure he gets with the program.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    SpaceX just leases Steven, they toss a MR in front of its name to be a little more formal.

My one thought is maybe time in the water is a factor for the fairing halves - obviously they've slowed them down enough that I can believe impact damage is no longer a factor (considering the stresses it already faces on ascent), and maybe by getting close enough to a recovery craft, they've found that there's limited wear and tear by the time they yank it out of the water.

I just checked to see if there'd been any clarification from Musk-on-High about his tweet yesterday, but no luck :wink: So I suppose we're stuck with speculation and educated guesses for now!

In the meantime, a late payload swithout by the folks at NASA means that today's launch is postponed to TOMORROW, December 5th, @ 1816 UTC That's 10:16am Pacific, 1:16pm Eastern).

If this launch time holds, it still means a turnaround time between launches of less than 48 hours for SpaceX, which would beat their previous record of 49 hours, 15 minutes :D

***** Upon further reading, the "payload issue" appears to be concerns about possible mold growth in the food supply for the rodents on board, so I'd say this is a very worthwhile delay and also that is adorable <3

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    In the meantime, a late payload swithout by the folks at NASA means that today's launch is postponed to TOMORROW, December 5th, @ 1816 UTC That's 10:16am Pacific, 1:16pm Eastern).

If this launch time holds, it still means a turnaround time between launches of less than 48 hours for SpaceX, which would beat their previous record of 49 hours, 15 minutes :D

***** Upon further reading, the "payload issue" appears to be concerns about possible mold growth in the food supply for the rodents on board, so I'd say this is a very worthwhile delay and also that is adorable <3

Oh. The rats are on purpose.

I thought maybe there were rats on board the rocketship, just like in the olden days.

VishNub wrote: »

I thought maybe there were rats on board the rocketship, just like in the olden days.

Oh no, these are rigorously-trained moustronauts, following a grand tradition of moustronauts that have served alongside their human crewmembers since the earliest days of the International Space Station :wink:

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Oh no, these are rigorously-trained moustronauts, following a grand tradition of moustronauts that have served alongside their human crewmembers since the earliest days of the International Space Station :wink:

I've been reading too much Mary Roach because my first thought was "how do they keep the mouse poop from getting everywhere?"

I was rather disappointed in Packing for Mars, because I was expecting more than stinky people and poop in space.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I’m just saying when the rats start fleeing your spaceship things are not looking good for you

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Tiny little space helmets.

I've only just made it today, but we are T-10 minutes to launch down at Cape Canaveral!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esh1jHT9oTA

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    What is that thing that flew across the camera's field of vision at T+3:20?

E: I am having to watch without audio from work, so if they explained it, I apologize.

Delmain on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    First stage was spinning a lot

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    And something I'm *sure* they talked about that I couldn't hear...

What the heck just happened with the first stage?

This discussion has been closed.