As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Planetary protection beyond a 1000 years is just silly. Within that time frame all sorts of absurd things could happen to the solar system (like the retrograde comet which just barely missed Mars a year back).

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Like we routinely pollute our own planet where we immediately live and wipe out life with reckless abandon.

No one is going to stop a colony over contaminating some rocks with e.coli

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Like we routinely pollute our own planet where we immediately live and wipe our life with reckless abandon.

SpaceX needs FAA and NASA help to launch.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Like we routinely pollute our own planet where we immediately live and wipe our life with reckless abandon.

SpaceX needs FAA and NASA help to launch.

Organizations subservient to politicians. What administration is going to let NASA put the kibosh on that PR?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'd kinda like to see Elon say AHAHAHA I HAVE MY OWN SUBTERRANEAN LAUNCH PAD BENEATH MY SWIMMING POOL, I DON'T NEED YOUR APPROVAL ANYMORE

Does he own any real estate on the equator, that's how you'll know it's happening

Rius on
  • Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    Airspace usage still needs a license from the government that runs it.

Seriously though, I really hope we don't get a whole bunch of millionaire with time and money to burn doing whatever they want to our solar system.

I respect Musk a lot, and it's quite likely he has and will further advance space flight like no other; but that doesn't mean we should just let him do whatever pops up in his head.

Like, one of his ideas for the BFR is to use them for fast intercontinental travel. I haven't looked into it hard, and no idea how serious he was about it, but maybe not such a good idea considering our current disastrous climate situation?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    IMO if the price is right you could absolutely sell 'launch not guaranteed' payload space on test flights like this.

right now satellites are pretty expensive because launch costs are expensive
    you want to send something up better make it worth it, make it highly engineered to last for decades and do enough to get a return

something like a CubeSat is about 50k to build and ~50-100k to launch

but if it's like... 5k to launch? some team at a university can probably scrape that together on the hope, and then do they need a 50k satellite or will some DIY jankiness that lasts for a couple of weeks do? Like at that point I guess the most expensive part is the comms system

or, hell, even just selling it as deadweight space, launch your dog's ashes into space or at least explode them!

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Taerak wrote: »

Seriously though, I really hope we don't get a whole bunch of millionaire with time and money to burn doing whatever they want to our solar system.

I respect Musk a lot, and it's quite likely he has and will further advance space flight like no other; but that doesn't mean we should just let him do whatever pops up in his head.

Like, one of his ideas for the BFR is to use them for fast intercontinental travel. I haven't looked into it hard, and no idea how serious he was about it, but maybe not such a good idea considering our current disastrous climate situation?

He's also simultaneously advancing electric vehicle development which would be a huge boon to cutting down carbon emissions so I think that's a pretty fair trade and the big picture is impressive once you put it together: EVs to drastically cut down on emissions with deep space colonization and mining to begin offloading humanity from Earth to the stars and to keep the supply of rare minerals rolling. It's easy to look at just one piece and see all the bad that can come from it (e.g. constant BFR use pollution/EVs depleting rare mineral supplies) but taken as a whole it's pretty damn good stuff. Elon is very much a big picture futurist so it's important to take all the pieces together rather than to start nit picking one leg of the chair till it collapses.

You're not wrong about needing to be very careful with corporations leading the charge into space, though. That's how you end up with cyber-dystopias and Earth turning into a ghetto for those who couldn't afford to leave.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

He's also simultaneously advancing electric vehicle development which would be a huge boon to cutting down carbon emissions so I think that's a pretty fair trade and the big picture is impressive once you put it together: EVs to drastically cut down on emissions with deep space colonization and mining to begin offloading humanity from Earth to the stars and to keep the supply of rare minerals rolling. It's easy to look at just one piece and see all the bad that can come from it (e.g. constant BFR use pollution/EVs depleting rare mineral supplies) but taken as a whole it's pretty damn good stuff. Elon is very much a big picture futurist so it's important to take all the pieces together rather than to start nit picking one leg of the chair till it collapses.

You're not wrong about needing to be very careful with corporations leading the charge into space, though. That's how you end up with cyber-dystopias and Earth turning into a ghetto for those who couldn't afford to leave.

But not every piece is crucial to the chair. I'm hardly nitpicking the plan to failure when I question whether we really need to travel faster between New York and London if the result is greater pollution? (Not sure if it would.. but as a hypothetical.)

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Anyway, my point was originally regarding Planetary Protection, which I don't have an opinion on one way or another, just the principle I was interested in. Seems to have been answered quite decisive!

In the meantime they're not gonna talk about the Core at all, huh?

Taerak on
  • Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    But we're already in a cyber-dystopia with large portions of humanity already in ghettos and currently no one gets to leave, a scenario where some rich people get to leave is still preferable to the status quo. And as costs come down more and more people would have the option. I want humanity to take to the stars, and it appears national governments are not going to be able to muster the will or resources. I'd like some regulation on what private space-farers are allowed to do, but its looking more and more likely that private enterprise is going to be the mechanism that enables us to live elsewhere, and to some extent that means putting up with the weirdness of the ultra-rich. I view it as sub-optimal (I would love to see NASA expanded 1000-fold as a first choice) but as the optimal options don't seem likely from a funding perspective I'll take what progress I can get from the private sector.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Anyway, my point was originally regarding Planetary Protection, which I don't have an opinion on one way or another, just the principle I was interested in. Seems to have been answered quite decisive!

In the meantime they're not gonna talk about the Core at all, huh?

I imagine they don't care at this point. The boosters returned to the space center, which was a new trick, and the core is a modified rocket that will be replaced with the next block anyway.

SpaceX doesn't have a history of lying about failures, but this time I can see them not wanting this test to become "about" the core when so much else went perfectly.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Incidentally, the news conference about the launch is just about to start where we might learn more specifics about what happened to the core.

Edit: That particular stream died. Maybe there'll be a more official one showing up at some point.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    SpaceX was much more open about things during the early landing attempts. But that ended when every other media outlet would run a story titled SPACEX FAILS, ANOTHER ROCKET EXPLODES with a link to the failed landing and no mention of them having successfully launched a payload. It just isn't worth it to be open in a world where ratings and clicks drive content.

Seal on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    About the Planetary Protection: it's very important for a lander that's meant to be brought to a planet surface as gently and intact as humanly possible; but in the vanishingly tiny chance that the Tesla ends up captured by Mars and falls to the surface, isn't it going to be pretty thoroughly sterilized by a completely uncontrolled, un-heat-shielded re-entry?

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    What's a "reasonable chance"? Isn't it supposed to have zero chance of intersecting Mars for a millenium?

Great, now we're going to get Borg.

I was thinking more Vger/Tsla ?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    In lesser news, SpaceX just launched a new live video feed. Not sure how interesting it'll be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M

I gasped when the over-the-shoulder camera came on and Earth was slowly drifting by in front of the windshield

When I first read "DON'T PANIC!" in bold, friendly letters, I literally shot the water I was drinking out of my mouth involuntarily

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    SpaceX was much more open about things during the early landing attempts. But that ended when every other media outlet would run a story titled SPACEX FAILS, ANOTHER ROCKET EXPLODES with a link to the failed landing and no mention of them having successfully launched a payload. It just isn't worth it to be open in a world where ratings and clicks drive content.

... They literally posted a blooper reel of their various crashes and screwups, set to music with snarky captions about failure, a few months ago.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

... They literally posted a blooper reel of their various crashes and screwups, set to music with snarky captions about failure, a few months ago.

"Most expensive fireworks in the world"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvim4rsNHkQ

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    From the news conference, Elon is saying the centre core didn't have enough propellant left to reignite for landing.

The sound's pretty bad so I'd doublecheck exactly what he said.

Edit: Specifically, the side engines on the centre core were able to relight, but there wasn't enough propellant for the centre engine to also relight, so it basically ran out of fuel for landing.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I couldn't tell for sure because the ABC press conference stream's sound quality is horrific - the cameras drowned out the first several minutes - but I think he said the centre core struck OCISLU at something around 480kph. Ow.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular

While true, this was also long after any of those launches. Clickbait "SPACEX ROCKET EXPLODES" articles were all immediately after said launches. And I know it colored non-space enthusiast attitudes towards the company because some of my own family thought of SpaceX as "those people that keep crashing rockets".

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I couldn't tell for sure because the ABC press conference stream's sound quality is horrific - the cameras drowned out the first several minutes - but I think he said the centre core struck OCISLU at something around 480kph. Ow.

Oh man. That.. might take a bit to repair.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular

Some of those clips weren't made available to the public until the reels release, many of them were from the period of time they were more open. All of those crashes are old news and the video ends with their successes. They're still much more guarded about how they present themselves than they used to be.

• Options
    Hell yeah, we want a new space race!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    Well, Elon called the center core "pretty much a complete redesign", so that it fulfilled its mission perfectly and "only" failed to land is a pretty rousing success. The telemetry and info will be invaluable

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Nah, the drone ship's hitbox was shoddily made. :P

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Lmao, he would have picked the center core to explode anyways, as it didn't have the new really expensive titanium grid fins

That was a pretty good press conference

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The lack of Really Dumb Questions and a respondent willing to wax technical on things was pretty much ideal for that.

I was expecting the questions to be half-fixated on the centre core, but they seem to have caught that up front.

(I was betting that core was the one that would pancake too, if one was going to.)

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I missed it, is there a recorded version?

• Options
    The live link should still work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KORTP545vAc

That's the whole recording including a lengthy period of people just sitting around. It starts a little more than a third of the way through, when Musk enters. The sound issue sorts itself out in the first few minutes, so most of it is actually audible after that.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The transfer burn should be, what, around 10? Are they going to stream starman's camera for it?

• Options
    About 2:45 UTC, or an hour from now, and they'd be mildly insane not to.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    https://www.netflix.com/title/80107656

So the documentary for Command and Control is up on Netflix. It's about an oops involving an ICBM in Arkansas. ICBMs seem space adjacent. I mean the difference is payload and aim really.

I'll definitely allow it! :wink:

They generally spend a few seconds in space, anyway!

• Options
    And hello again, everyone!

So, confirmation that they did indeed fail to catch the center booster. Oh well, two out of three ain't bad! And the two they caught did it very prettily :P

Great first flight of a new launch vehicle, now hopefully the second stage will be able to reignite after its experimental coast phase!

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    BFR? Big Fucking Rocket?

• Options
    No, no. It's the Big Falcon Rocket. Total coincidence.

• Options
    Mostly you just say 'BFR' and leave it up to the listener's imagination :D

• Options
    edited February 2018
    They're refusing to expand the acronym, though everyone knows what they mean. Some people say Big Falcon Rocket instead.

I liked CBC's coverage a few months back where they pronounced it Big Falkin' Rocket and left it pretty clear what it really meant.

(Also, Starman's apparently doing some maneuvers right now, going from the reaction thrusters on the second stage, so they seem to be prepping for departure..)

Zibblsnrt on
This discussion has been closed.