As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

19596979899101»

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Musk being a Culture fan, to me, is vaguely awful

I.e I love the Culture but he anti-embodies it

he probably doesn't see himself as veppers

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    He's not the space mogul we want, but he's the space mogul we've got. It's just unfortunate that all the space agencies and aerospace firms stopped... I dunno, caring? Trying? It's like during the period from 1990 to 2010 'space programs' as a whole just all lost their drive. With the budget cuts and the American aerospace companies figuring out they could keep getting contracts while barely producing any results. It's like the entirety of 'Space People' decided, 'eh, good enough'. I was subcontracting there in the late 90s and it was a lot of shuffling papers and going through the motions. No spark, no excitement, no progress. Musk has issues, but at least he actually wants to go to space. And I guess he's better than Bezos, but that's a low bar.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Eh, Bezos could go either way. Amazon employees got bathrooms because Bezos finally became aware of the working conditions his executives were telling him were media lies, SpaceX and Tesla employees got bathrooms because safety inspectors were tearing apart SpaceX after the Kestrel explosion and he feared they would start digging into his other companies.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    If we taxed the hell out of those billionaire dudes we could have even better space programs AND feed the poor.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    If we taxed the hell out of those billionaire dudes we could have even better space programs AND feed the poor.

Money generally hasn't been the biggest issue with NASA's more recent efforts. Tripling their budget wouldn't make the SLS any less of a money pit.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2021
    Everyday Astronaut will start streaming today in the hopes of SpaceX launching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNsbAaQd6bk

NasaSpaceflight.com is already live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXG7W7skekw

A third stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX6FCR0gd5I

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    daveNYC wrote: »

Money generally hasn't been the biggest issue with NASA's more recent efforts. Tripling their budget wouldn't make the SLS any less of a money pit.

Also shortage of money is not really a thing in US expenditures, it's not like they desperately want to fund space stuff but damn, there's just no money anywhere

So no. You'd probably have a bigger military budget and the exact same amount would be spent on space

Phyphor on
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Also shortage of money is not really a thing in US expenditures, it's not like they desperately want to fund space stuff but damn, there's just no money anywhere

So no. You'd probably have a bigger military budget and the exact same amount would be spent on space

I'm in favor of increasing the military budget and the space budget.

Where's my f****** power armor?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Communists, hah! If the
    Phyphor wrote: »

I'm in favor of increasing the military budget and the space budget.

Where's my f****** power armor?

Waiting on a power source with the energy density of a nuclear reactor and the volume of a grapefruit, if I remember correctly.

Edit: which also doesn’t explode and kill the user/their squad/the town when damaged.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

Tripling the sls budget would make the sls cost three times as much and not much else.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    They already figured out how to make it cost three times as much while cutting the budget.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    They already figured out how to make it cost three times as much while cutting the budget.

Hey now! Those other rockets were completely different programmes. Using the same components made by the same companies has absolutely no bearing on the current attempt to create the world’s most expensive recycling project…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    SN15 scrubbed for today, and tomorrow's weather looks bad, so Sunday is the next likely chance.

Edit: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240507/spaceflight-thread-suffered-rapid-unscheduled-disassembly

We're about to hit 102 pages so here's the new thread.

Hevach on
This discussion has been closed.