As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    I thought they weren't going to land the boosters simultaneously?

It was awesome to watch, though.

It was my understanding that they wouldn't (so that they wouldn't interfere with each other acoustically, etc.) but apparently I was wrong, and that was awesome! :biggrin:

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT that was amazing.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The boat also tends to lose camera feed on landings.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    They always lose contact with the drone landings, so we'll know one way or another in a few minutes.

The cameras cut out but there are actual humans on ships right nearby. They know what happened right when it happens.

Which, welcome to the downside of private industry, this isn't reporting it's a PR event

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    That side view of two simultaneous booster landings...

Holy shit

Watching the both of them come down in formation I had the biggest shiteating grin on my face since my first Mun landing in KSP.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Usually there's another ship nearby that sends video of the drone ship afterwards, even if the drone ship's antenna goes out, right?

It's given pretty broad clearance, so there's rarely another ship within filming distance

Though I had heard rumour of a helicopter, but who knows

We'll know when we know on the center booster, though I suspect it had some difficulties :wink:

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Freaking flawless. Damn.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    yea that was pretty damn amazing. hopefully they are 3/3 on the boosters

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Annnd now I have a new background image.

hhd7znoife9s.jpg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that double booster landing was amazing

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    That synchronized landing with the boosters was a thing of beauty.

Watching this makes me want to quit Kerbal Space Program in shame because of the sheer amount of debris I've just left in the ocean/land/skies around my space center.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    They always lose contact with the drone landings, so we'll know one way or another in a few minutes.

The cameras cut out but there are actual humans on ships right nearby. They know what happened right when it happens.

Which, welcome to the downside of private industry, this isn't reporting it's a PR event

This is also a company that makes highlight reels of their rockets blowing up. So dunno. We will find out but they might be in the "is it going to fall over?" stage.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    That was incredible.
    Also, putting a sweet ass car and spaceman mascot in orbit is a great way to make future engineers.
    Just inspiring as Fuck!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

This is also a company that makes highlight reels of their rockets blowing up. So dunno. We will find out but they might be in the "is it going to fall over?" stage.

If it did blow up, I just hope Of Course I Still Love You/Just Read The Instructions are okay.

Characters
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Aridhol wrote: »
    That was incredible.
    Also, putting a sweet ass car and spaceman mascot in orbit is a great way to make future engineers.
    Just inspiring as Fuck!

Keeping an eye on all the small junk in space was getting tedious, I'm glad they mixed it up.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay, I got to watch... we paused the meeting. :) HOLY FUCK.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I'm hearing (unofficially, so far) that they lost the center core.

But hey, launch went perfectly, the vehicle performed admirably, the boosters separated beautifully, landing simultaneously like some sort of futuristic space airport, there's a fake spaceman riding a car to Mars*. All in all, not a bad performance! <3

• Options
    Center core lost according to audio in launch control.
    Source: reddit thread.

• Options
    Any idea what happened? Miss the barge, fall over, land but go kaboom?

Characters
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

If it did blow up, I just hope Of Course I Still Love You/Just Read The Instructions are okay.

Both drone ships (in this case, it's OCISLY) have had boosters full on blow up on them, they're pretty resilient :)

• Options

I heard miss entirely, which is interesting, but I'm not ready to state that as fact just yet.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That's unfortunate! But everything else going a-ok is probably fine with everyone =)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Losing the center core isn't that big of a deal. It was the one that was most heavily modified, so getting telemetry and performance data on a failure of that is more important.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The boosters/center core are all just Falcon 9's basically right?

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    That kicked so much ass. The double booster landing was just insane.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

I heard miss entirely, which is interesting, but I'm not ready to state that as fact just yet.

I blame wayward boat.

Characters
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    That was incredible.
    Just inspiring as Fuck!

Keeping an eye on all the small junk in space was getting tedious, I'm glad they mixed it up.

Hopefully they put LoJack on it.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

The center cores are reinforced and modified enough that they have to be dedicated Falcon Heavy center cores

The side boosters are re-purposed, previously flown Falcon 9s though, yeah :)

And THEY made it back perfectly, which is pretty cool :P

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Yes, with some extra stuff bolted on. It's almost literally the Kerbal Solution - if it's not big enough, duplicate it twice and attach with radial decouplers and struts.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    They could basically take the nose cone and the attachment points back off the side boosters and fly them again as Falcon 9s, basically

They won't, if they do fly again it will be as side boosters again 'cause why not, but they COULD, in theory :P

Edit: Oh, and put an interstage back on, of course

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

From the SpaceX channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_tWbjFIGI&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=2304
    They could just mean the center core feed but if even if they did lose the rocket a successful launch, payload delivery, and landing 2/3? Still damn amazing.

EDIT: The video should cut straight to the relevant time when you hit play! :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Considering previous flights like this have everything get destroyed (discounting shuttle) I would say reusing 2/3 is pretty danged excellent.

• Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    The presenters didn't seem all too confident. There was a tiny "ohh..." a little before they cut the broadcast.

Still though, what a time to be alive

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

From the SpaceX channel itself:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_tWbjFIGI&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=2304

They could just mean the center core feed but if even if they did lose it a successful launch, payload delivery, and landing 2/3? Still damn amazing.

~38:30 for those looking.

• Options
    Tim Dodd's feed caught the launch.

HOLY SHIT at the force.

Gonna link it below, but if you want the timestamp:

https://youtu.be/xoI7sFyAirY?t=52m26s

52m26s in.

https://youtu.be/xoI7sFyAirY?t=52m26s

• Options
    I'm more and more convinced that the center core didn't make it, which is too bad

But! During last week's Falcon 9 flight, they flew the rocket in expendable mode and did an experimental water landing where they expected the core to explode ... except it didn't. They towed it back to the Cape.

So on balance, we're all good! :P

• Options
    Everything I've heard is that they aren't going to be flying a ton of Falcon Heavys in this configuration anyways, waiting for the Block 5 versions and the Big F****(alcon) Rocket. But all the same. I'll take what we did get any day of the week.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    That was incredible.
    Just inspiring as Fuck!

Not actually a problem here, as the core is not in orbit around the earth, its heading for an orbit between earth and mars, and MIGHT at some hypothetical point in the future crash into mars.

I've actually seen criticism of the fact it might hit mars. Which is by far the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    The latest I'm hearing is that Jeff Bezos designed a vehicle to catch and abscond with the center core for his own purposes

This is a totally true report that I totally heard

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Athenor wrote: »
    HOLY SHIT at the force.

Fun fact: Years of rocket launches have caused some issues in surrounding communities due to the power of the rockets causing minor housing damage. I'd be investing in some housing upgrades in this new Falcon Heavy era :lol:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.