As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    So I was just outside, western Sweden, incredibly clear skies and there’s essentially no light pollution here. Almost straight up is Ursa Major and I see a dot cross the tail of ursa at high speed. I whip out my star spotting app and it’s not showing any satellite passes until 30 minutes later.

Then I see another dot on the same trajectory. Then after getting back from a short dog walk I see a third on a slightly different trajectory but essentially the same (5-10 minutes had passed). Time wise my third spotting didn’t match the timing between the first and second and would’ve been a fourth or fifth dot given linear timings, tough to say.

I think these would have been moving south to north, ish.

Starlink or spy satellites?

aliens probably

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    So I was just outside, western Sweden, incredibly clear skies and there’s essentially no light pollution here. Almost straight up is Ursa Major and I see a dot cross the tail of ursa at high speed. I whip out my star spotting app and it’s not showing any satellite passes until 30 minutes later.

Then I see another dot on the same trajectory. Then after getting back from a short dog walk I see a third on a slightly different trajectory but essentially the same (5-10 minutes had passed). Time wise my third spotting didn’t match the timing between the first and second and would’ve been a fourth or fifth dot given linear timings, tough to say.

I think these would have been moving south to north, ish.

Starlink or spy satellites?

aliens probably

[thinks]

Mobile Suits

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    But seriously I’m pretty sure starlink sats are logged in whatever databases the apps are using; I’ve could have sworn my go to star charting app notes them

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I use Sky Guide and it points out debris from the 80’s with AR trajectories so it’s weird that these did not show up in it.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I use Sky Guide and it points out debris from the 80’s with AR trajectories so it’s weird that these did not show up in it.

Sky guide’s my go to as well; just checked with the search function and it’s definitely logging where the various star links are, so we can probably discount them.

Military sat then is probably the go to then

Or mobile suits.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    At minimum three, possibly five, mobile suits...

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    At minimum three, possibly five, mobile suits...

[MONOEYE BWOOM NOISE]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Starlink tracking coverage is spotty. That close together they're probably from the last batch, they're not normally in tight formation, but it takes a while to disperse a set.

Spy satellites are generally not visible at night because they're usually on highly eccentric sun synchronous orbits, they're at high altitude at night and low during the day, so they don't waste energy to drag when they can't do anything useful.

Many have some degree of stealth, too. KH-11 are very hard to detect visually and the Misty variant seems to be invisible to most civilian radar.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Sky guide’s my go to as well; just checked with the search function and it’s definitely logging where the various star links are, so we can probably discount them.

Or mobile suits.

Or it could be those guys. You know, the weirdo and more mind wiped alien musicians. Keep an ear out for suspiciously popular one-hit-wonder bands outta nowhere in the next week or so.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

Or mobile suits.

Or it could be those guys. You know, the weirdo and more mind wiped alien musicians. Keep an ear out for suspiciously popular one-hit-wonder bands outta nowhere in the next week or so.

I think I will, indeed, listen to their song.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    It does. The good news is that those kind of orbits are unusual, and the satellites in them are mostly considered extra high-value, since most of them are intelligence satellites. So while active they're very closely monitored and controlled and when at end of life they're not left sitting around - it's was already considered a breach when an astrophotographer figured out the Kennan and Misty satellites were nearly identical to the Hubble Telescope* and that was accomplished just by looking up.

*-They have a propulsion module and the newer ones only have one solar panel, but the chassis is the same, they're just designed to look at Earth instead of deep space. This is always one of my favorite answers to NASA being a waste of money - one of its crown jewels took over a decade to get in the sky and they've been limping it along for thirty years (and hope for another 10-20 yet). Meanwhile the military has launched at least 11 and possibly 14 nearly identical telescopes with superior capabilities (Hubble of course doesn't have propulsion. Even at its higher altitutde, the Hubble can't track the ground like the KH-11's can, so they clearly have superior reaction wheels. And declassified KH-11 images suggest that even the early blocks had finer resolution than Hubble).

KH11 image quality is probably better because they're not wearing a pair of glasses like Hubble is.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    SpaceX is giving up on dry fairing recovery. Ms Tree and Ms Chief have had their nets removed and were released from their contracts. A new ship equipped with a salvage crane and ROVs will take over wet recovery.

They were pretty much always doing wet recovery anyway, and the biggest loss was the sound dampening panels. They've been reflying used fairings now for over a year with or without dry or wet recovery and the net ships have been damaged for more money than the handful of fairings they actually caught saved vs. wet recovery.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Gonna miss those whacky net ships.

• Options
    Ingenuity flight delayed again, looks like next week now.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    SpaceX has been selected as sole provider for a lunar lander: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/04/nasa-selects-spacex-as-its-sole-provider-for-a-lunar-lander/

This has been a rough couple of years for Blue Origin, losing out on this and the NSSL phase 2 procurements that went to ULA and SpaceX. They seemed to be angling for a slow and steady development path of their New Glenn vehicle to get to the point where government contracts can subsidize its development ala ULA and its rockets. But it just hasn't been panning out in the last couple of years. Though they did secure quite a lot of funding for the development of their BE-4 engine that both they and ULA will be using.

Seal on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Sole provider? Wow, I was not expecting that.

The hilarious part is that the plan is literally to launch the Starship, then launch a crew on SLS and transfer them to the Starship, because Congress wouldn't fund a mission that sidesteps the SLS.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »

The hilarious part is that the plan is literally to launch the Starship, then launch a crew on SLS and transfer them to the Starship, because Congress wouldn't fund a mission that sidesteps the SLS.

Are they going to be using a crew dragon on top of the SLS? That'd be a hoot.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    No, the plan has always been to launch the crew and lander separately - the SLS can't carry a lander along with an Orion. Blue Origin's lander was designed to be launchable on an SLS, two New Glens, or two Vulcans.
    Bremen wrote: »

It does sidestep the unlikelihood of Starship being crew ratable in it's planned launch configuration - send Starship unmanned and rendezvous in NRHO (Orion can't actually get to LLO) or the gateway once it's up, the lander can then be kept there with tankers sent alongside crews to refuel it.

This puts some big question marks on the Artemis III timeline, though.

Edit: apparently the rover (planned as a separate launch) has also been switched to Falcon Heavy instead of ULA Vulcan, which isn't too surprising. Falcon Heavy was already tagged to deliver Firefly's equipment and supply packages to landing sites.

Hevach on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    So looks like what happened is Congress approved about a third of what was requested (~1B vs ~3B) for this year. Spacex were the only proposal of the three that was willing/able to fit within that budget. (They'll still be payed the same amount in total as they bid but first year payment will be smaller.) Original intention was to pick two.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Also the others had some additional issues with their proposals which, while not necessarily showstoppers, were not helpful either. Like the dynetics design being overweight and the national team (they totally ripped that from XKCD) budget demanding money up front instead of in arrears, according to Scott Manley’s analysis.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    National Team wanting all that money up front might have been a deal breaker regardless, the whole point of this program was to avoid getting the lander into the same good money after bad place that the launcher and orbiter were stuck in.

SpaceX is unique among the three because they're developing the ship anyway on private finding. If NASA picked Dynetics SpaceX is still going for the SN15 launch this week and booster 1 launch this summer and so forth, whereas Blue Origin is likely clearing their mockup off the factory floor right now.

Which on the one hand makes them the reliable pick in an unpredictable political environment. On the other hand, the safe position might have been to go with Dynetics now and quietly tell SpaceX, "Look, we all know you're building this anyway, if you really do show up these other guys we'll just have to buy your lander at a premium, right?"

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I hope the Biden admin supports this approach fully when their nominee gets in.

It's a shame Dynetics failed, though, because competition is always good.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    man it feels strange seeing NASA be this decisive though

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Feels kind of forced decisiveness. National Team seemingly trying to backdoor a cost-plus deal that won't fit into the year 1 budget makes them a hard no.

Dynetics also didn't fit in the budget and the weight issue is a big deal, pretty much every space vehicle that anyone's thrown money into that started out over weight never actually succeeded. Dynetics didn't need to shed over 100% like Venture Star or Delta Clipper, but it's over by enough to make it's viability questionable and the request called for block 2 and beyond upgrade options.

SpaceX fit well in the budget, had far and away the greatest capabilities, and has an endless array of Starship configurations for almost every conceivable use.

If Congress had actually given Bridenstein the money he asked for I feel like at least two of these get their money, I can even see SpaceX being the one that doesn't, because their lander is so far out of proportion for a 2-3 person landing and they're developing it anyway, NASA or not, so that capacity will be buyable down the road.

Edit: worth remembering this is only a short term decision - Artemis 3, probably 4 will use a Starship (likely the same one refueled for each mission), but the long term decision, which looks like it's still planned to have at least two different landers actually in service, has just been pushed back.

Hevach on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So I guess the mars helicopter is set to fly sometime today/tomorrow?

And apparently the cool bit of symbolism is that it had a swatch of the original Wright Flyer on it, somehow?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    So I don't post here much, but I wanted to say that I got Starlink last week and dutifully set it up and....it was awesome! I was getting 200 mb/s and about 50 up, which is over twice what I was getting. But then, I realised it was dropping out every 3 - 5 minutes, which wasn't great at all. So, I ordered the volcano mount and installed it today (with a little help from my kindly neighbour who lent me his drill when the battery(ies) on mine went flat).

Happy to report that putting it up on the roof was the key - no drop outs, getting great speeds and I've retired my old internet provider. I'm going to give it another week just to see, but so far so good. A heap faster, less latency - so far, so good. Added bonus that it's going to get faster and faster and I'm one SpaceX fanboy, I can tell you.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So I guess the mars helicopter is set to fly sometime today/tomorrow?

And apparently the cool bit of symbolism is that it had a swatch of the original Wright Flyer on it, somehow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1KolyCqICI

Soon, 109 minutes from now

Also, yeah, a piece of fabric from the wright brother's first flyer is on mars currently

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    So I don't post here much, but I wanted to say that I got Starlink last week and dutifully set it up and....it was awesome! I was getting 200 mb/s and about 50 up, which is over twice what I was getting. But then, I realised it was dropping out every 3 - 5 minutes, which wasn't great at all. So, I ordered the volcano mount and installed it today (with a little help from my kindly neighbour who lent me his drill when the battery(ies) on mine went flat).

Happy to report that putting it up on the roof was the key - no drop outs, getting great speeds and I've retired my old internet provider. I'm going to give it another week just to see, but so far so good. A heap faster, less latency - so far, so good. Added bonus that it's going to get faster and faster and I'm one SpaceX fanboy, I can tell you.

Yea I just got Starlink last month and it has been a godsend. I was on old Satellite internet and it was terrible. I still get micro drops a few times an hour, but once they roll out new updates to help acquire the sats better those should go away.

My big concerns are the long term ramifications of the satellite nets. Both with ground based astronomy and the general space junk problem. At least with Starlink (I can't speak to the competitors) the Satellites will de-orbit on their own after a few years once their power runs out.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Kessler Syndrome is everyone's problem.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    21 minutes till the stream comes on

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

i mean, not if you fall back to the middle ages for a thousand or so years!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Feels kind of forced decisiveness. National Team seemingly trying to backdoor a cost-plus deal that won't fit into the year 1 budget makes them a hard no.

Dynetics also didn't fit in the budget and the weight issue is a big deal, pretty much every space vehicle that anyone's thrown money into that started out over weight never actually succeeded. Dynetics didn't need to shed over 100% like Venture Star or Delta Clipper, but it's over by enough to make it's viability questionable and the request called for block 2 and beyond upgrade options.

SpaceX fit well in the budget, had far and away the greatest capabilities, and has an endless array of Starship configurations for almost every conceivable use.

If Congress had actually given Bridenstein the money he asked for I feel like at least two of these get their money, I can even see SpaceX being the one that doesn't, because their lander is so far out of proportion for a 2-3 person landing and they're developing it anyway, NASA or not, so that capacity will be buyable down the road.

Edit: worth remembering this is only a short term decision - Artemis 3, probably 4 will use a Starship (likely the same one refueled for each mission), but the long term decision, which looks like it's still planned to have at least two different landers actually in service, has just been pushed back.

Yeah, I watched that Scott Manley video too, and it seemed like SpaceX was the only one that could make the numbers work after the budget cut. Like the other two weren't even close. Plus the technical issues with Dynetics and the National Team being the usual suspects. Probably didn't hurt that SpaceX is actually building and flying Starship while everyone else just has pretty renders and mockups.

The size of Starship just makes the whole thing ludicrous though. Renders of it and the Luner Gateway are hilarious. HLS is supposed to take two astronauts to the moon, but NASA has gone with a vehicle capable of taking two people and their extended families there.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    g4dqp98qczyz.png
    the flyer, viewing its own shadow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWGHqbhzn7I

and a short video I captured off the stream

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    daveNYC wrote: »

Yeah, I watched that Scott Manley video too, and it seemed like SpaceX was the only one that could make the numbers work after the budget cut. Like the other two weren't even close. Plus the technical issues with Dynetics and the National Team being the usual suspects. Probably didn't hurt that SpaceX is actually building and flying Starship while everyone else just has pretty renders and mockups.

The size of Starship just makes the whole thing ludicrous though. Renders of it and the Luner Gateway are hilarious. HLS is supposed to take two astronauts to the moon, but NASA has gone with a vehicle capable of taking two people and their extended families there.

I wonder if it'll prompt them to revisit the mission profile. Orion can take six people, but the profile is limited to 4 for Artemis. Starship as the lander could easily allow them to send 6 and land 4. As a bonus, it has an airlock, which the other options didn't. They could still only have two on EVA with two more inside the ship.

Hevach on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Here's the announcement tweet/video from the control room.

The guy speaking is my former classmate and colleague, Håvard Fjær Grip (the tweet doesn't say, but I recognize his voice).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

That's a bit of an overreaction. We wouldn't lose access to all our ground based technology. Things would just get harder and slower, but not 500 years old. People are still gonna be driving cars (map companies would be happy), getting good medical technology, have good housing and sanitation, good quality food, etc.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

That's a bit of an overreaction. We wouldn't lose access to all our ground based technology. Things would just get harder and slower, but not 500 years old. People are still gonna be driving cars (map companies would be happy), getting good medical technology, have good housing and sanitation, good quality food, etc.

I wonder if we'd see things like Blimp Sats and solar powered drones flying 24/7/365 to approximate satellite usage finally make it out of the prototype stages.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »

I wonder if we'd see things like Blimp Sats and solar powered drones flying 24/7/365 to approximate satellite usage finally make it out of the prototype stages.

I think if Kessler Syndrome really sets in we'll see two things increase: Starlink style low altitude constellations of cheap disposable satellites down in the rapid decay zones (debris won't last so these altitudes should stay usable) and a push for actual polar launch sites so that higher altitude or deep space launches can go through the dead zone over the poles - polar orbits aren't stable and even if stuff is high enough to last for centuries it tends to drift away from polar orientation much faster. Actual polar orbits will cross debris zones at lower latitude but this should provide a "keyhole" to launch through.

The former in particular should prove very viable due to SpaceX's demonstration of swarm launching for low altitude constellations.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Kessler syndrome talk always makes me think of some of the weird shit we've left in space. For example, there are several Soviet nuclear reactors (almost certainly melted down from disuse, they were active when the satellites died, and they had no safety considerations because if anything went wrong it was probably going to be somebody else's problem) in LEO.

But the weirdest bit of space junk has to be the Apollo 10 Turd.

When Apollo 10 was getting ready to leave the moon, they found a large human poo floating around the command module. All three astronauts vehemently deny producing it, and nobody wanted to bag it up. So it was herded into the LEM, Snoopy, and the hatch closed. Snoopy was then fired into interplanetary space instead of crashed like the later LEMs. That turd is still out there somewhere on an Earth-intercepting heliocentric orbit.

Hevach on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    It occurs to me if we had the DNA samples...

This discussion has been closed.