Options

[Monster Hunter] world released. Suddenly one of the popular kids.

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    l2 charge with the hammer pops horns off pretty easily. Also it's funny. I bet it'd work even with base hammer.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Sword and Shield is perfect for Kelbi horn gathering, just give em a couple quick shield bashes and the horns come right off and they take a nice humane nap.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I fought HR Kirin. HR Kirin is pretty tough. I think maybe too quick for my newb use of the Greatsword; I'll have to roll with the hammer.

My blue sharpness Nergal Greatsword sure did bounce off of it while it had its lightning armor on, though. Wonder if there's some way around that....

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Max Potions and food working for me, don't need those horns yet.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I'm using the IG. When I do the thrust just jabs them in the throat. If we're on uneven ground I can pop the horns off sometimes before killing them. Sometimes.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I did not make up the myth about capture nets on horns... But I wish I did.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So I actually have 2 sets that actually resemble something endgame now.

My decoration selection is extremely limited, and that is undoubtedly one of the biggest things that goes into my skill choice.

For Lance:
    Nergi lance, 7 attack, 5 guard, 3 weakness exploit, 3 divine protection (this is mostly because of how RNG decoration drops are, and I swap this one out a lot for other stuff depending on what I'm fighting)
    For Hammer:
    Nergi hammer, 7 attack, 5 HGE, 3 weakness exploit, 3 divine protection (again, this one gets swapped out a lot), and 1 affinity slide (I'm experimenting with this because I've noticed I initiate the aerial spin hammer thingy with slides constantly while using the hammer).

I want to put together some sets that focus more crit, but the crit fix abilities are gated behind some obnoxious crafting mats.

biscuitbutt81 on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm using the IG. When I do the thrust just jabs them in the throat. If we're on uneven ground I can pop the horns off sometimes before killing them. Sometimes.
    It might be worth making SnS or Hammer just for farming Kelbi Horns. It's so much faster to walk up and Shield Bash/Hammer Smash them.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I am not looking forward to farming HR Diablos and Black Diablos a good number more times to be able to make my dino insect glaive. I'm down to just needing to hunt Vaal Hazak in my elder dragon hunt.

Also, moth kinsect is best kinsect. Super fast, good damage, and blast. Pretty sure it'll be used 99% of the time.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular
    Posted on the last page reposting cause palicos are awesome.

https://xboxclips.com/Evil MonQey/1ff35c36-c1c6-4210-8d38-6aa86167b4fe/embed

Evil%20MonQey.jpg
  • Options
    Those little buggers can even trap an elder dragon.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    btw: whoever told me I could use capture nets to break horns. that process is arguably worse than just taking a chance of decapitating the poor things with an overhead smash.

chasing it around and shooting that net for 2 damage...

you are a terrible person and you should feel bad.

Who told you this

because it totally sounds like a prank

I do not know what sick person encouraged that death by a thousand cuts. But they evidently hate Kelbi. Probably Preacher. >_>

Ohhh, Kelbi. I thought you were trying this on, like, a Diablos.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Felynes are full of spiral energy.

Its the only explanation.
    Boomerangs pierce the heavens, etc.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I am not looking forward to farming HR Diablos and Black Diablos a good number more times to be able to make my dino insect glaive. I'm down to just needing to hunt Vaal Hazak in my elder dragon hunt.

Also, moth kinsect is best kinsect. Super fast, good damage, and blast. Pretty sure it'll be used 99% of the time.

That my next Kinect I'm working on me a few ore I belive, just made the red blast one cause I have no blast dmg and it looks so cool. Can't wait to try it out after work.

Evil%20MonQey.jpg
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    in previous iterations of MH Kirin is fairly easily fought by running a pellet bowgun/pellet up skills and just hipfiring at it within 1-2 roll distance, which is both relatively safe due to low commitment on attacks and fairly effective since you don't have to worry about bounces or anything and the pellet rakes kirin

i remember absolutely blasting a kirin to pieces with the Yama Tsukami HBG in MHFU

no idea of how well that works in MHW though, since i don't know if they spruced up Kirin's movement/kit patterns

historically Kirin is also weak to sleep so sleep bombing is a relatively tried-and-true method as well

Orphane on
  • Options
    The tempered Kirin fight at 49 is kind of a pain in the ass. Apparently, some people get stuck on it.

I beat it by stacking thunder resistance, using the thunder mantle, and headsniping the shit out of Kirin with the hammer.

• Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    By the by, ladies and gents, how does one squad up with the PA folks in this game? I filled in the form in the OP, but, er, I don't know what I'm supposed to do next.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

My decoration selection is extremely limited, and that is undoubtedly one of the biggest things that goes into my skill choice.

For Lance:
    Nergi lance, 7 attack, 5 guard, 3 weakness exploit, 3 divine protection (this is mostly because of how RNG decoration drops are, and I swap this one out a lot for other stuff depending on what I'm fighting)
    For Hammer:
    Nergi hammer, 7 attack, 5 HGE, 3 weakness exploit, 3 divine protection (again, this one gets swapped out a lot), and 1 affinity slide (I'm experimenting with this because I've noticed I initiate the aerial spin hammer thingy with slides constantly while using the hammer).

I want to put together some sets that focus more crit, but the crit fix abilities are gated behind some obnoxious crafting mats.

I'd suggest going for 3 vitality instead of 3 divine protection if possible. Did this last night and it's been incredible. It's a lot more consistent in not getting one-shot (I think the math also works out to 33% more EHP vs 25% EHP). I find Attack/Defense best at 4 slots max because that's when you get the extra bonus. The extra 3 points could probably go towards making specific sets vs monsters, like effluvia resistance, antiblast, etc. I also go with L3 Flinch Free for Lance for MP sets.

For augments I went with
    Health Regen because now you can basically ignore guard chip damage. You'll probably get it right back with the counter thrust/follow-up pokes

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hmm, how do you unlock LR Kirin anyways? I only have HR.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Do the researcher's capture quests

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I've just murdered the Kelbis and they seem to just drop their horns no matter what weapon I've used.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    What are folks' opinions on the hammer charge moves? I go with spin to win 90% of the time, but I understand the charged upswing is a good stagger. I try to use it occasionally but usually end up overcharging to the charged big bang (which I seldom use, since the recovery takes ages and I'd rather just spam the regular big bang after smashy spinz).

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was able to take down Nerg for my story quest last night with an assist from Flammie. I think we ended with about a 50% clear rate due to me getting swatted by Nerg in the last phase of the phase of the fight. It turns out Guard +5 and Guard Up don't mean anything if you guard with an eighth of your stamina bar and he's coming in for the super dive. It is nice to know most other hits are mostly trivial at full stamina with that loadout though. The flying up crater punch at full guard is still dangerous.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Work bro is having Anja troubles. The weirdest part is how unfamiliar it is for me to have RL people playing Monster Hunter.

How did this one jump mainstream? Not that I mind.

It's on major consoles (sorry switch) and very accessible (besides still having a million hidden/unexplained things).

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Just killed the first Rath pair quest in Generations, and man that was frustrating, but when Rathalos finally died to a Large Barrel Bomb+ he set off with his own fireball, I was ecstatic. Now all my co-workers are looking at me funny though.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    So after taking down HR Pukei a few times and upgrading all my stuff, I sauntered over to Tobi-Kadashi and he carted me twice. Looks like farming is the way forward from here on out! That Kulu armor with all the Critical Eye looks like it might be my jam...

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    What are folks' opinions on the hammer charge moves? I go with spin to win 90% of the time, but I understand the charged upswing is a good stagger. I try to use it occasionally but usually end up overcharging to the charged big bang (which I seldom use, since the recovery takes ages and I'd rather just spam the regular big bang after smashy spinz).

The three charge big bang is better than the spinning move, for sure.

Like once I learned I did something other than spin-to-win when standing still, I actually began knocking monsters on their asses quicker.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options

the spinning bludgeon isn't that great for damage, particularly if you let it wind all the way down (which has 3-5 business days of ending lag), but being able to move and deal damage certainly has its benefits. I tend to try for charge2 but usually end up with charge3. I found so often I'd end up with charge3 I stopped bothering and just try to land some triangle hits whenever possible. If they get CC'd, big bang all day though.

But I'm switching to lance because lance is awesome.

• Options
    Yesssss, join ussssss!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

I don't much like the spinning bludgeon except as a way to go directly into a triangle on the first hit so you have a strong horizontal smash, then you can go into your regular combo

Each level of charge has its benefits, assuming you're using power charge; first level goes directly into a powerful upswing which you can use to transition into either your standard combo or the big bang combo; level 2 is great for building up stun and also transitioning straight into your big bang combo (my preferred method for when the enemy is down); third stage is baller for the last strike which is a pretty good alarm clock strike. Not as good as some weapons (GREATSWORD) but not too shabby, either.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    oh I already switched, I guess 'switching' is misleading. I farmed up all but 1 piece of armor and crafted the highest raw damage lance I could. Then I took out like 5 different monsters and laughed maniacally at their feeble attempts to push through my shield.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So as mentioned before when you get your HR49 quest, don't be like me and get it done. Spend time following tracks over and over. Saves some pain later.

I must have spent a good part of today trying to get Elder tracks to no avail.

On the plus side:
    unlocked rainbow pigment by getting the white winds quest in the arena to fight a Legiana,Ogadon,Diabolos and Rathalos all in 25 mins. Did it in just over 18 which wasn't to shabby.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Quick question: is Dragonpiercer affected by charge level on bow?

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    By the by, ladies and gents, how does one squad up with the PA folks in this game? I filled in the form in the OP, but, er, I don't know what I'm supposed to do next.

The current ps4 group is full, but the way to join is add anyone from the squad and have them invite you to an active squad session, and if the owner (Entaru for ps4) is online, then they can add you to the squad.

It's a bit cumbersome atm.

• Options
    Dracil wrote: »

For Lance:
    For Hammer:

I'd suggest going for 3 vitality instead of 3 divine protection if possible. Did this last night and it's been incredible. It's a lot more consistent in not getting one-shot (I think the math also works out to 33% more EHP vs 12.5% EHP). I find Attack/Defense best at 4 slots max because that's when you get the extra bonus. The extra 3 points could probably go towards making specific sets vs monsters, like effluvia resistance, antiblast, etc. I also go with L3 Flinch Free for Lance for MP sets.

For augments I went with
    Health Regen because now you can basically ignore guard chip damage. You'll probably get it right back with the counter thrust/follow-up pokes

Unfortunately, I don't have 3 life decorations. I would try that if I could. And yeah, I was wondering if there were diminishing returns on the attack skill. I went 7 because of an OCD desire to have the skill maxed out, but it seemed like it might not be the most efficient thing. I'd have to significantly rework my armor setup if I wanted to lower my attack, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to experiment with some other setups.

Also, you don't think another decoration slot would be more useful as an augment? I figured that would trump everything else.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    Quick question: is Dragonpiercer affected by charge level on bow?
    Quick answer: yes.

• Options
    So as mentioned before when you get your HR49 quest, don't be like me and get it done. Spend time following tracks over and over. Saves some pain later.

I must have spent a good part of today trying to get Elder tracks to no avail.

On the plus side:
    unlocked rainbow pigment by getting the white winds quest in the arena to fight a Legiana,Ogadon,Diabolos and Rathalos all in 25 mins. Did it in just over 18 which wasn't to shabby.

Holy shit that sounds like a nightmare fight.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dracil wrote: »

For Lance:
    For Hammer:

I'd suggest going for 3 vitality instead of 3 divine protection if possible. Did this last night and it's been incredible. It's a lot more consistent in not getting one-shot (I think the math also works out to 33% more EHP vs 12.5% EHP). I find Attack/Defense best at 4 slots max because that's when you get the extra bonus. The extra 3 points could probably go towards making specific sets vs monsters, like effluvia resistance, antiblast, etc. I also go with L3 Flinch Free for Lance for MP sets.

For augments I went with

Unfortunately, I don't have 3 life decorations. I would try that if I could. And yeah, I was wondering if there were diminishing returns on the attack skill. I went 7 because of an OCD desire to have the skill maxed out, but it seemed like it might not be the most efficient thing. I'd have to significantly rework my armor setup if I wanted to lower my attack, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to experiment with some other setups.

Also, you don't think another decoration slot would be more useful as an augment? I figured that would trump everything else.
    Each point of Attack Power gives you +3 points, which amounts to around a 1.5% damage increase above base (assuming 200 True Attack power... a little less for higher Attack Powers and a lot more for lower Attack Powers, because we are talking relative percentages here rather than absolutes... not including other buffs and items, of course). It's linear, but at the 4 point breakpoint you also get +5% Affinity, which gives a bonus 1.25% boost (assuming you aren't already at 100% Affinity).

The question is more of Opportunity Cost... is slotting a full 7 preventing you from slotting one or two points in a skill that would give you a higher boost per point, or preventing you from completing a set bonus that would give you a significant advantage?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Thank you, hammer bros. Follow up question: I (think I) understand that for the hammer, raw damage is somewhat more effective than elemental damage, but where does affinity fit in? It's basically crit, right?

I have grandrock 1 and crushing beak 2, and I don't know which would end up being better. Grandrock has more raw damage and some defense, which is nice, but the 25% crit on the kuluhammer seems like it fires off all the damn time, and that one has a gem slot.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Honestly making the attack necklace has really upped my kill times. I'd recommend everyone does that outside of a specific skill connection.

pleasepaypreacher.net