As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] world released. Suddenly one of the popular kids.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    hahaha really whoever oked kushala daora in this game is just legit a terrible designer. just a leap above all the other elders in garbage.

https://youtu.be/Q-QNQW-e2as

i just carted 3 times in the final area exactly like this and lost. how is this a good, fair monster to fight? every roll is canceled by wind pressure that does huge damage, in every direction. like, what? "sorry you were in melee when he did his zero windup tornado oh and also there's just like 6 tornadoes that are always up no matter what in the final area so you really can't ever get out". i'm sure there is a direction i could have escaped in, but how can you see it when the screen is covered in tornado vomit.

the rest of the fight sucks too because even with a high elderseal weapon you're constantly getting tossed around, without elderseal you're basically a pinball.

just absolutely the worst.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it was kushala or the dromes, sorry

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    kushala is usually a great fight!

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Just standing straight up and flashing would have saved you there.

Also, it helps to keep moving around that zone. There is a lot of room up top, grapple bugs to help you move around, and you can climb right over that center rock. It's better to lose a little DPS time than to get stuck in a small alley with tornadoes on two sides.

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Now that I've gotten a few nergigante clears done, should I grind him/tempered stuff before trying the other elder dragons or should I be fine heading there?

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Now that I've gotten a few nergigante clears done, should I grind him/tempered stuff before trying the other elder dragons or should I be fine heading there?

Nergy has great weapons for just about every class, high damage high elder seal, and his armor is pretty boss for a lot of specs.

Also for my hammer bros.

https://youtu.be/BCAkG3d212k

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Just standing straight up and flashing would have saved you there.

Also, it helps to keep moving around that zone. There is a lot of room up top, grapple bugs to help you move around, and you can climb right over that center rock. It's better to lose a little DPS time than to get stuck in a small alley with tornadoes on two sides.

Flash bombing kush turns him from a nightmare into a kitten. Especially online, just have to watch and make sure you drop him outside of his tornados, but I've even see him get flashed out of a tornado.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is apparently on sale in the iOS store and I'm super tempted despite knowing it's probably awful with touch controls and also compared to MHW.

Did you end up getting this? I’d be down for some low rank touchscreen hijinks.

I always go lance or insect glaive, so I’ve been playing with hammer and dual blades.
    I did but haven’t spent much time with it yet. Will probably be really low for a while, mostly checking it out during my commute which is only like 30 minutes or so.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Woke up this morning and solo'd Tempered Kirin no sweat. He really doesn't like the Rathalos' LBG's high damage, Slashing ammo, and rapid-fire Fire ammo into the face. And I kept placing mines when he wanted to jump on me, which exploded on him.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    Good morning gents! Wanted to ask if there is a PA Clan on PS4 for MH:W? I filled out the form listed in the OP, and would love to Hunt with you fine people!

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    IDDQD wrote: »
    Good morning gents! Wanted to ask if there is a PA Clan on PS4 for MH:W? I filled out the form listed in the OP, and would love to Hunt with you fine people!

Same ^

• Options
    Went up against Negigante last night for the first time, got carted off twice but beat him in the end. I joined another few SOS quests to take him down again after that, with only middling success. I'm definitely getting better at avoiding his dive, but it still feels really hit or miss. I'm a Hammer Bro, so I'm generally accustomed to standing up in a monster's grill and smashing its teeth out, but I'm finding it difficult to engage with Negigante in that area. I've had a lot more success standing underneath of him, round-about his hind legs, and laying combos into his stomach. It isn't ideal, obviously, but it feels a lot safer. I'm not able to hit-and-run Negi as well as I'd like, either, because he dive bombs whenever I try to get some range on him. Making progress, though -- definitely finding my stride against Negigante. Feels good. I'm going to try and farm him later this afternoon, when the kids have a nap, because I need like four of his plates to make a bomb-ass Hammer, and I want it really badly.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I really want a Destiny Companion-style app for this game. Would love to be able to check my inventory of mats to plan out my hunts in advance.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Went up against Negigante last night for the first time, got carted off twice but beat him in the end. I joined another few SOS quests to take him down again after that, with only middling success. I'm definitely getting better at avoiding his dive, but it still feels really hit or miss. I'm a Hammer Bro, so I'm generally accustomed to standing up in a monster's grill and smashing its teeth out, but I'm finding it difficult to engage with Negigante in that area. I've had a lot more success standing underneath of him, round-about his hind legs, and laying combos into his stomach. It isn't ideal, obviously, but it feels a lot safer. I'm not able to hit-and-run Negi as well as I'd like, either, because he dive bombs whenever I try to get some range on him. Making progress, though -- definitely finding my stride against Negigante. Feels good. I'm going to try and farm him later this afternoon, when the kids have a nap, because I need like four of his plates to make a bomb-ass Hammer, and I want it really badly.

The dive bomb will always come out like this. All of his spikes turn black, he roars, then flies up into the air and dives at someone. You pretty much have to superman dive (weapon sheathed sprinting and dodge) because when he lands he shoots out the black spikes around him. So you might dodge the dive but still get wrecked by his spike. You can still be up in his grill, just watch for how much of him is black so you can expect it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »

The dive bomb will always come out like this. All of his spikes turn black, he roars, then flies up into the air and dives at someone. You pretty much have to superman dive (weapon sheathed sprinting and dodge) because when he lands he shoots out the black spikes around him. So you might dodge the dive but still get wrecked by his spike. You can still be up in his grill, just watch for how much of him is black so you can expect it.

It's also delayed any time you break spikes off I believe.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah that fight made me learn to superman. That move is wildly useful when you know some real shit is coming down the pipe.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Paolumu is the biggest motherfucker

Fight me you coward

Fiiiiight meeeee

• Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    At this point I almost feel like we need to make a squad just for Destiny immigrants to the New World. Welcome to Monster Hunter, where everything is a raid boss and a bajillion times more fun to fight, plus you get real loot to make customized exotics, wooooo!

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    Paolumu is the biggest motherfucker

Fight me you coward

Fiiiiight meeeee

No mr. Hunter sir

I am a dandelion on the wind

Watch meEEGGAAAAAH *dragon pierced*

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Boy, i'm a regular Speedrunner.

I got to Rank 10!

And did the big mission!

only took me 54 hours.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I like the idea of Zorah Magdaros as this monster so powerful you can't reasonably fight it, and the most you can do with five fleets working together is convince it to go into another room. But I also like the idea of having a real boss fight with it, and maybe getting a superior endgame set out of it.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Any HBG users out there? I'm packing the Shattercyst and loving the pierce play style, but it is a travesty this thing isn't wyvernsnipe. Any recommendations for snipe guns? I've tried the radobaan line, and while it's good, it feels like I should lean into the explosions there.

Edit: Correction, I'm trying out the dodogama line, I'll likely make either the diablos or radobaan HBG eventually, just for those sweet sweet snipe shots.

Vahraan on
    PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I like the idea of Zorah Magdaros as this monster so powerful you can't reasonably fight it, and the most you can do with five fleets working together is convince it to go into another room. But I also like the idea of having a real boss fight with it, and maybe getting a superior endgame set out of it.

Agreed. Another thing that bothered me was
    what the hell was Nergy thinking, there is nothing remotely munchable about Zora Magdoros

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Oh I just mean I kind of want a colossal-scale battle with Zorah as a DLC battle where you get some cool armor. Maybe... G-Rank Zorah Magdaros????

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Same ^

@Entaru We still full?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Vahraan wrote: »
    Any HBG users out there? I'm packing the Shattercyst and loving the pierce play style, but it is a travesty this thing isn't wyvernsnipe. Any recommendations for snipe guns? I've tried the radobaan line, and while it's good, it feels like I should lean into the explosions there.

Edit: Correction, I'm trying out the dodogama line, I'll likely make either the diablos or radobaan HBG eventually, just for those sweet sweet snipe shots.

The snipe guns just aren’t that great because HBGs are v bad at doing anything but pierce in this game, and there isn’t a great pierce gun in the bone tree.

I’m hoping they tweak the motion values again for hbg, cause nothing competes with lbg normal 2 rapid for 100 damage a shot.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Oh I just mean I kind of want a colossal-scale battle with Zorah as a DLC battle where you get some cool armor. Maybe... G-Rank Zorah Magdaros????

Eh, just add Jhen Mohran then.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to tell which bowguns have rapidfire on which sorts of shots?

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I know when you hover over them on the upgrade screen you can hit L3 to get a chart with the ammo types and it will also list if they're rapid fire.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    I wish everything was weak to ice so I could spend all game running around with dual ice chainswords.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Fawst wrote: »
    I really want a Destiny Companion-style app for this game. Would love to be able to check my inventory of mats to plan out my hunts in advance.

Unlike Destiny, your save is primarily local. I guess they keeps track of guild info on a server somewhere but it doesn’t seem they store or can modify anything else. Their overall online design choices are baffling enough that it’s probably for the best they keep the saves local.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Iblis wrote: »
    I know when you hover over them on the upgrade screen you can hit L3 to get a chart with the ammo types and it will also list if they're rapid fire.

Thanks, I'll have to look again more carefully. I was trying to compare different ones but it didn't jump out at me.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I think it shows a yellow symbol to the far right on the chart if it has rapid fire capabilities (and a blue symbol if it's single shot and auto-reload). Should have a little key at the bottom? I'm going off memory though, at work at the moment.

Know that's how I decide to make a Garon Rifle since it has a couple of different types of ammo it will rapid fire.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Wow. Kushala Daora sure is fun and interactive to play against.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular

Agreed. Another thing that bothered me was
    what the hell was Nergy thinking, there is nothing remotely munchable about Zora Magdoros
    Well, he is still an animal at the end of the day. Like a Chihuahua that thinks he's going to bark down a pitbull.
    He also thought he could take on Jeeves which is hilarious.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options

Bring flash bombs, like seriously it makes the fight super easy no matter what you are using.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Yeah, old Daora was annoying but was easy to poison and stayed poisoned a long time, which reduced it to a fairly standard flying wyvern fight as long as someone brought a good poison weapon. This one is just total bullshit since nothing stops him from spawning giant ass tornadoes that last forever, ignoring mounting entirely (another thing that used to mitigate his bullshit as the zones were good for that in prior games), and then the total and complete pile of stupid that is the final room.

The only way to fight this Daora is with the biggest pile of flashbombs you can carry. And when you run out go back to camp and grab more.

Azure rath is almost as bad - they took out breaks/staggers causing Rath to faceplant and be open, so now it's just always flying and hard to hit with melee. But at least it's still vulnerable to high-reaching melee, IG, and gunnery. (For what it's worth, Rathian still seems to fall on staggers? Legiana too. It's just Rathalos that is total bullshit there)

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Also having given the IG a whirl, it can be fun against some enemies, but frustrating against others. For me its the up time on buffs as always, like it sucks to knock a monster down but spend the first part snagging a quick red to do some damage.

Hammer is super fun though, once you start the knock down chain it can be fun keeping it going.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Preacher wrote: »

Bring flash bombs, like seriously it makes the fight super easy no matter what you are using.
    Yep.

He's one of the easiest bosses in the game and an absolute joke with flash bombs. Hit him when he's flying and it'll send him straight to the ground where he'll struggle and you can get free damage on his vulnerable head.

Carry three flash pods, 10 flashbugs and put flash pods on your radial menu. It'll auto craft them for you when you select the icon when you run out from your supply of bugs in the item pouch. When he moves to a new area, just go back to the tent and restock if you need to.

He flies so much that it makes him a pitiful target with this method. Like I said, he becomes Great Jagras with wings. Spends more of his time desperately trying to get up than actually fighting back.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also having given the IG a whirl, it can be fun against some enemies, but frustrating against others. For me its the up time on buffs as always, like it sucks to knock a monster down but spend the first part snagging a quick red to do some damage.

Hammer is super fun though, once you start the knock down chain it can be fun keeping it going.

It's entirely dependent on how easily you can manage the essence. There's an armor skill that gives 10% longer duration per rank, up to 3 (on the final boss set and on a charm).