Options

[Hearthstone]THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!!!

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »
    Also, from Reddit:

Z1wNqTC.png

yeah

this is

basically what i was thinking of too.............

but the problem everyone had when I was hopeful about that card was "why aren't you just casting the nine drop dragon from your hand instead of playing dragonhatcher" and giving it +2 attack doesn't change much

No but giving the 9 drop dragon that has to be in your deck for Lady in White to function +8 attack and then using this to pull it out is a whole different ballgame.

The problem I see is that draw order could fuuuuuuuuck you.

oh right I guess there's merit to the fact that you're specifically pulling it out of your deck so you guarantee you're getting the buff on the board

...I don't know, that still seems really finicky.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Also, from Reddit:

Z1wNqTC.png

yeah

this is

but the problem everyone had when I was hopeful about that card was "why aren't you just casting the nine drop dragon from your hand instead of playing dragonhatcher" and giving it +2 attack doesn't change much

No but giving the 9 drop dragon that has to be in your deck for Lady in White to function +8 attack and then using this to pull it out is a whole different ballgame.

oh right I guess there's merit to the fact that you're specifically pulling it out of your deck so you guarantee you're getting the buff on the board

Bigger issue is that it replaces a better card in your deck.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Julius wrote: »
    Also, from Reddit:

Z1wNqTC.png

yeah

this is

Bigger issue is that it replaces a better card in your deck.

That's not necessarily true. It could certainly be the case that what's effectively the fourth or fifth copy of your 9 mana 12/12 is better than your other options.

That said, the reverse of "you can only run so many nine drops" is also in play.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I mean, a 5/2 stealth isn't that bad. The stealth and the 2 health makes it more reliable to trade up and when you want.

• Options
    Oh yeah, that card would be infinitely better if it just didn't have the 2/5 form at all. 5/1 stealth was niche playable in aggro Rogue, 5/2 stealth would be bangin' in face hunter.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I don't like these "swap each turn it's in your hand" cards at fucking all

Yeah it is the least interesting mechanic in the world, made all the worse by the fact that the designers think it's incredible.

The problem is for the swap to be meaningful there needs to be a large disparity in values, yet not be too overstatted. And we don't play ragers

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I don't like these "swap each turn it's in your hand" cards at fucking all

Yeah it is the least interesting mechanic in the world, made all the worse by the fact that the designers think it's incredible.

The problem is for the swap to be meaningful there needs to be a large disparity in values, yet not be too overstatted. And we don't play ragers

Shadow Rager and Cursed Disciple both saw a little play :P

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    New Card - Hunter Epic

Toxmonger
    4 Mana
    2/4
    Whenever you play a 1-cost minion, give it Poisonous. (Translated from Chinese)

636580625292395941.png

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Also, from Reddit:

Z1wNqTC.png

yeah

this is

Yeah I mean, Spiteful Priest already runs into that issue too, right (draw all four of your spells before Spiteful/Archivist). Or Big Priest drawing all their minions before Barnes/Shadow Essence. Or Cubelock drawing demons before Lackeys (though that's what Skull is for, but same issue). Or Kathrena Hunter drawing all its big beasts... etc etc.

I feel like you're gonna want a certain threshold of Dragons to have some amount of consistency. Maybe Ysera/Sleepy Dragons/Primordial Drakes (even if you miss the battlecry, you're still pulling an 8/8 Taunt at that point, which then protects your Dragonhatcher). That's 5 Dragons, plus two Dragonhatchers, that's probably good enough at that point. Any more than that might dilute the Recruit pool, and those 3 are all pretty high value.

But yeah I think the idea totally works. Spiteful Priest/Big Priest/Cubelock/Kathrena Hunter all prove that the foundation is solid. Dragonhatcher package, Obsidian Statues, Tar Creepers & Stonehill Defenders, plus some other shit. I think it can work.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    New Card - Hunter Epic

Toxmonger
    4 Mana
    2/4

I, ehhh, hmmmmm

Yeah I dunno. The meme answer would be QUEST HUNTER SUPPORT, LUL.

But, um, hm.

If this is for Control, what fuckin' Control Hunter deck is playing a multitude of 1 drops. Would a Midrange Hunter... necessarily want this card? I mean, Plague Scientist saw a bit of play in Tempo Rogue, but that was useful because it functioned kinda like Charge (similar to Crackling Razormaw is like Adapt on a Charge minion). This is setting up ahead of time, so aoe can clear, but... Hmm.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    New Card - Hunter Epic

Toxmonger
    4 Mana
    2/4

636580625292395941.png

elven archer's back, baby!

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    wetfart.wav

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    That's not it's official name right? That has to be a placeholder.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I uh.... Egghhh

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Man I dunno I keep trying to like, justify this card in my head, and I just caaaaan't

I was reaaaaally stretching with my previous post too but

Also why do they keep printing non-beasts for Hunter

Hunter ain't gonna care about non-beasts unless they have really good effects (Houndmaster.... Shaw, maybe.. Kathrena.. Stitched Tracker comes close, but)

Roz wrote: »
    That's not it's official name right? That has to be a placeholder.

"Fluffy Toxic Worgen" :rotate:

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i don't know that that effect is powerful enough to be so far from yeti stats

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Hey, they're finally giving Quest Hunter some support!!! I like it.

(probably still a bad deck)

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    I mean, Toxmonger is actually fuckin' outrageously powerful on Elven Archer and is also very good on Stonetusk Boar. Throw in Hunter's Marks that also work with them and that could just be a solid removal package.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Shadow Visions But For Creatures
    Just gotta hope your Hunter opponent is playing these:

200px-Stitched_Tracker%2862854%29.png?version=5ac9c6dcc3cdad29738aa188179f0366

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I can't remember seeing any recent serious deck with more dust tied up in epics than in legendaries. Maybe some control mage builds because the only legendary that deck needs is Aluneth.
    Yeah, I mean good luck trying to play control/cube lock without at least 4,800 dust worth of legendaries.

Right, but this deck, which seems pretty standard, has 5 epics. That's still 4,000 dust.
    But 4,000 is still less than 4,800.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    I can't remember seeing any recent serious deck with more dust tied up in epics than in legendaries. Maybe some control mage builds because the only legendary that deck needs is Aluneth.
    Yeah, I mean good luck trying to play control/cube lock without at least 4,800 dust worth of legendaries.

Right, but this deck, which seems pretty standard, has 5 epics. That's still 4,000 dust.
    But 4,000 is still less than 4,800.

It psychologically feels worse crafting epics than legendaries because you want to craft legendaries. That's the problem.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I mean, Toxmonger is actually fuckin' outrageously powerful on Elven Archer and is also very good on Stonetusk Boar. Throw in Hunter's Marks that also work with them and that could just be a solid removal package.

"[New Card] can actually make these [Bad Cards] good now" is not exactly a compelling argument for it :p

The thing about Elven Archer and Stonetusk Boar is that they are Bad Cards. Period the end full stop. Yes, they might combo well with Toxmonger, but they are still Bad Cards through and through and you're still dedicating 4 slots to running these otherwise Bad Cards when you could just run Good Cards instead.

You know what else does the job? Candleshot+Hunter's Mark. Both of which are good cards on their own right, but together create a very powerful synergy. Hell, Hunter's Mark alone is more or less the same thing as giving a minion Poisonous. You're gonna be losing that minion regardless, but it's gonna take out whatever you want it to, now.

There was actually a brief period way back when, some Hunter decks were using Wild Pyro+Hunter's Mark. Which was a cool combo. Mark also cost 0 back then, though. But moreover Wild Pyro was a good card on its own right and had other uses beyond just one narrow combo. And that's the key for comboing cards together, typically you want the combo pieces to still have some usage outside of the combo, in a pinch. Equality+Consecrate, for example, while being a very potent board clear can also be used independently of each other.

The best usage I can think of with Toxmonger (and it's not a very good usage anyway) is just tossing some Poison minions on board similar to Druid's Webweave or DK Malfurion Spiders. But again, not a super good use, not really. Maybe in Arena. But ehhh...

Also it's statline is TRAAAASH

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular

"[New Card] can actually make these [Bad Cards] good now" is not exactly a compelling argument for it :p

The thing about Elven Archer and Stonetusk Boar is that they are Bad Cards. Period the end full stop. Yes, they might combo well with Toxmonger, but they are still Bad Cards through and through and you're still dedicating 4 slots to running these otherwise Bad Cards when you could just run Good Cards instead.

You know what else does the job? Candleshot+Hunter's Mark. Both of which are good cards on their own right, but together create a very powerful synergy. Hell, Hunter's Mark alone is more or less the same thing as giving a minion Poisonous. You're gonna be losing that minion regardless, but it's gonna take out whatever you want it to, now.

There was actually a brief period way back when, some Hunter decks were using Wild Pyro+Hunter's Mark. Which was a cool combo. Mark also cost 0 back then, though. But moreover Wild Pyro was a good card on its own right and had other uses beyond just one narrow combo. And that's the key for comboing cards together, typically you want the combo pieces to still have some usage outside of the combo, in a pinch. Equality+Consecrate, for example, while being a very potent board clear can also be used independently of each other.

The best usage I can think of with Toxmonger (and it's not a very good usage anyway) is just tossing some Poison minions on board similar to Druid's Webweave or DK Malfurion Spiders. But again, not a super good use, not really. Maybe in Arena. But ehhh...

That card + N'Zoth's Tentacle is funny but kind of impractical since you need to kill the Tentacle somehow.

• Options

The 'using two bad cards together is still bad' becomes significantly less of a problem when you have redundancy. The fact that they work with both Toxicmonger and Hunter's Mark means more often then not you're hitting their good case, which will be better than your other "good" cards (assuming you're playing a slower sort of hunter deck, which isn't going to benefit nearly as much from cards like Razormaw and Animal Companion).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    44 cards revealed so far. Very few good cards so far. Still got time, but...

Looks like the best cards will be the ones taken away. Addition by subtraction.

Edit: Considering we'll get about 30-40 fillers, we've got about 50 or so left to impress.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    If toxmonger worked with unleash the hounds it could be decent

Don't think it does tho

• Options
    If toxmonger worked with unleash the hounds it could be decent

Don't think it does tho

It says 'play', not 'summon', so yeah. Only one Alley Cat would get poisonous.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

Don't battlecries happen first? So the shot from Elven Archer wouldn't be poisonous?

LUL Blizz

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »

Don't battlecries happen first? So the shot from Elven Archer wouldn't be poisonous?

LUL Blizz

stop spoiling it. this is the only time hearthstone is fun

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Blizz posted on reddit that it worked.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Blizz posted on reddit that it worked.

8me3t3fj6p23.png
    t32p3qlzkwk3.gif

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Okay guys, now hear me out here:

22322.png

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    That was changed, wasn't it? Battlecries no longer happen first. Or do I have it backwards?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    That was changed, wasn't it? Battlecries no longer happen first. Or do I have it backwards?

Battlecries have happened after a minion enters play for at least the last sixteen months (I.e., as long as I’ve been playing). For example, Dispatch Kodo benefits from effects like those of Timber Wolf and Dire Wolf Alpha.

It feels like a card designed to turn early game cards into late game value, so that you can punch through big taunt walls more effectively and to make trades super-awkward for aggro decks.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    It has been a long standing misconception that battle cries happen before minions enter play, but I don't think it was ever true of Hearthstone as far back as open beta. I blame Mirror Entity for most of the confusion.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

22322.png

Would that kill itself with toxmonger up?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

22322.png

Would that kill itself with toxmonger up?

Yes

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Lady in White in French is called Dame Blanche

m9wUQrP.jpg

So.

If youre really lucky.

And you get a Golden Dame Blanche

You can have a literal Golden Girl in Hearthstone :rotate:

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    636580086718495678.png

Her freakishly long hands remind me of
    hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I like that poisonous guy....

I mean, poisonous is one of THE most annoying things to deal with in this game. Heck, malfurion's DK gets you two and it's a massive main to deal with.
    I really like it. 1-cost cards that can help is mistress of mixtures (she's going away though, right?), firebat, argent squire, dire mole, elven archer, firefly, glacial shard, SHIELDBEARER (oh wait can't work, doesn't do dmg), tentacle of nzoth (going away).

I really like it with some of the cards like argent, firefly, etc..

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra