As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

At last, The Red Star!

• Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    smallmouth wrote: »
    FreddyD wrote: »
    smallmouth wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    I reread the OP and just decided to order it from the official store. Shipping was about $9, but now I don't have to bother hunting a copy down.

$9 shipping? And I thought ebayers were bad about gouging. . .
    Amazon.com is now charging $40. Supply and demand.

edit: EBgames has it backordered, and most retailers don't even have it listed on their webpages (Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's Electronics)

Maybe. But it's still available for less than $29 shipped.
    But if you buy it from the store, it'll be signed.
    Does he sign it with his wang?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yesterday I ordered three separate games because of PA threads: this game, Ouendan 2, and Lord of the Rings Online.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, I ordered this ten days ago from the official website, and I still haven't gotten my copy. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm not sure who to blame, because another package that was mailed from a friend took over a week to get here too. It could be the post office, but then again, it could be the official store. But it could also be any other number of reasons.

Captain K on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I ordered mine on the 9th and haven't received it yet either. I just got an email from them a while ago, and apparently they were surprised with the number of orders they received,
    The email wrote:
    THE RED STAR VIDEOGAME SALES EXCEED EXPECTATIONS!
    Dear Red Star supporters,
    Thank you for ordering your copy of The Red Star directly from The Red Store!
    As you may have read in gaming forums across the net, the reaction to this release has been exceptional,
    and supplies have been short nationwide.
    Volume of orders has exceeded everyone's expectations and we apologize for the temporary delay in delivery.

EXCLUSIVE GIFT WITH YOUR ORDER
    In appreciation of your continued patience, we'll be sending you a free exclusive gift with your order only available from The Red Store.

CREDIT CARD CUSTOMERS:
    We will not charge your account until we ship your order.

STAY TUNED
    We are in contact with our distributors and will keep you informed with updates at www.theredstar.com

THANK YOU!

While this is beyond our control, we again apologize for the delay and
    look forward to sending you your exclusive free gift and signed copy of The Red Star videogame.

Whee, free gift. I can wait, I have plenty of other games to play right now.

SteevL on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dang! I ordered elsewhere and have my copy, but I don't have time to play it yet. I want a free gift :(

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    NeenerNeenerNeenerNeener Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    Well, I ordered mine on the 9th and haven't received it yet either. I just got an email from them a while ago, and apparently they were surprised with the number of orders they received,
    The email wrote:
    THE RED STAR VIDEOGAME SALES EXCEED EXPECTATIONS!
    Dear Red Star supporters,
    Thank you for ordering your copy of The Red Star directly from The Red Store!
    As you may have read in gaming forums across the net, the reaction to this release has been exceptional,
    and supplies have been short nationwide.
    Volume of orders has exceeded everyone's expectations and we apologize for the temporary delay in delivery.

EXCLUSIVE GIFT WITH YOUR ORDER
    In appreciation of your continued patience, we'll be sending you a free exclusive gift with your order only available from The Red Store.

CREDIT CARD CUSTOMERS:
    We will not charge your account until we ship your order.

STAY TUNED
    We are in contact with our distributors and will keep you informed with updates at www.theredstar.com

THANK YOU!

While this is beyond our control, we again apologize for the delay and
    look forward to sending you your exclusive free gift and signed copy of The Red Star videogame.

Whee, free gift. I can wait, I have plenty of other games to play right now.

I just got this email today, too. Looking forward to seeing what the gift is.

Also, nice to see that it's selling well enough that they're continuing to print.

NeenerNeener on
  • Options
    TelemachusTelemachus uncomfy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yay, got mine today! Some first impressions (I'm on Chapter 05, playing as the sickle-wielding speedylady):

Fun. It's been pretty easy going so far, and I seem to be getting consistent A and B rankings. I'm not "leet" by any standards, but I haven't had a hard time at all. The bullet pattern segments are particularly facile. I assume I'm playing through on an easy rating, though I don't remember coming across that option when I started the game. I'm really enjoying the brawler/shmup combo; I haven't really played a game quite like this before. The camera is pretty dynamic in a pre-scripted way: sometimes it's a side-scroller, sometimes isometric at an angle, and sometimes overhead. All-in-all, it adds up to a nice variety in experience.

Controls work well. There's a melee attack with a few combo moves and a projectile weapon that can be either auto-aimed, fired in a strafing mode, or fired by pivoting from a center point. Other moves include a shield which blocks against melee attacks, an evasive backflip (I never use it), and a power-up area attack that's charged by incurring melee damage. I'm assuming new moves will become available as the game progresses. I find myself really yearning for some kind of dodge/jump button. It just seems like the kind of game that should allow for more flipping around. The aforementioned backflip is kind of awkward, IMO, and though the dash attack can be used evasively it's not terribly reliable.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on plot-wise. There seem to be some future Russians or something, but I'm not sure if I'm playing as one of them or against them. I do know the bad guys are part of some kind of armed force, and I am tasked with beating them up and shooting them up, depending on whether they have shields or not. This is okay with me.

Obligatory grafix paragraph:
    It's not the cutest girl at the sock hop, but The Red Star is passable. Nothing really strikes me as glaringly ugly, and it offers 480p and widescreen. Nothing much else to say here. Shrug.

So I'm having fun. It's certainly worth the $20 I paid. I'm hoping the bullet patterns get a little more challenging, because that's really why I came to the party. I'm going to go play some more.

Telemachus on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh God, trust me, they get harder. I probably didn't die until the mid-teens, but after that I found myself struggling a bit. Everything is still manageable, and some of the weaves are easy, but there's one 3-part boss (as in 3 bullet spreads at the same time) that's annoying.

Pb on
  • Options
    TelemachusTelemachus uncomfy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Melee combos in the midst of bullet curtains are annoying.

Telemachus on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There actually is no 'real' difficulty setting. There is, however, a 'kind of' one. Unlock the Arenas, then beat them (I forget if you need all S rankings or if I was just being a perfectionist). It will eventually unlock an option to play in EX mode. The game isn't any harder, but everything is faster.

My only negative on the game is that there isn't any unlockable content such as backstory or cover art or something.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    This game is really fun, and I'm only 5 missions in. I really like the mix of shooter & melee.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Telemachus wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what's going on plot-wise. There seem to be some future Russians or something, but I'm not sure if I'm playing as one of them or against them. I do know the bad guys are part of some kind of armed force, and I am tasked with beating them up and shooting them up, depending on whether they have shields or not. This is okay with me.

It's a parallel world kind of deal, with Russian-analogues in a war against Al'Istaan (Afghanistan analogue). Kyuzo and Maya deserted from the "Russian" side, and Makita is a Nokgorkan rebel, her country at war with the State -- kind of like Russia and Chechnya.

Lotsa story spoilers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Star

Echo on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, I ordered this ten days ago from the official website, and I still haven't gotten my copy. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm not sure who to blame, because another package that was mailed from a friend took over a week to get here too. It could be the post office, but then again, it could be the official store. But it could also be any other number of reasons.

Well, if its a signed copy maybe his pen ran out of ink and he's trying to find a new one.

P.S. Yes this is a completely pointless post that does not contribute to the thread what so ever

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm up to mission 11, and I'm actually surprised that I've died a few times, due to sucking. How hard does it get, there's only 18 missions right? I'm expecting to need to try the last few multiple times :D

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Argh, I'm still stuck on mission 11. The boss fights in it just own me, with the teleporting box thing who just spits out tons of bullets, I get hit about 60% of the time. Any advice?

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Argh, I'm still stuck on mission 11. The boss fights in it just own me, with the teleporting box thing who just spits out tons of bullets, I get hit about 60% of the time. Any advice?
    During the battle, continue to move around. It will appear randomly and you don't want to get caught too close to it. When it begins to reappear, turn toward it, lock on, and press and hold the fire button. If you're far enough away, you should be able to find the 'gap' in the bullet pattern. Otherwise, use the shield to block. If you're Makita, do a backflip when the bullets get near.

This battle will take time to do and is extremely difficult to not take any damage. Move around, lock target, fire, and dodge. I find that it's easier for me to not look at it once I know where it will appear. That allows me to concentrate on the bullet pattern and dodge.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Argh. thanks, I didn't realize you could block those bullets. It's a damn long stage to keep replaying with all the evading enemies :(

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I ordered mine around Tuesday or so, so I'm hoping for arrival early this week.

I splurged to be honest, got the game, the hard cover of volume one and the 2006 comic that has background on the mythos.

The style is too striking for me to avoid, after I read it if the storytelling is on par with the look I'll be getting the hardcover volume two and the Makita annual ASAP.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm stuck on chapter 16. I get killed by all the bullet spam every time. Do any of you gents have any tips?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    NeenerNeenerNeenerNeener Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, I got the free gift in the mail today. It's a, umm, this:

makita.jpg

I really don't know enough about comic books to know what this is. It is signed, however, so I assume that's good.

No game yet, though.

NeenerNeener on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm stuck on chapter 16. I get killed by all the bullet spam every time. Do any of you gents have any tips?

How the hell did you get past the Boss in 15 (I think that's where I'm stuck)? The one which has the moving shield-if you shoot the shield even more bullets show up.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's awesome that this game is selling so well that they're having to press more copies of it just to meet demand.

However, it is not awesome that I don't have my copy of it yet.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You're going to have to be more specific. What is the name of the enemy?
    How the hell did you get past the Boss in 15 (I think that's where I'm stuck)? The one which has the moving shield-if you shoot the shield even more bullets show up.
    Lock onto the center target and move left and right opposite of the moving shield.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That was actually where I was stuck. I beat it using a combination of skill and luck (mostly luck). Also, Makita's backflip is grossly overrated because 9 times out of 10 I would just backflip into another bullet.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, I got the free gift in the mail today. It's a, umm, this:

makita.jpg

I really don't know enough about comic books to know what this is. It is signed, however, so I assume that's good.

No game yet, though.

Thats a standalone issue of the Red Star, that basically deals with Makita's backstory. Its been a while since I read that issue, or much of the other Red Star books, so I can't tell you much more than that.

When they first brought up the game at ComicCon a few years ago, they were giving away autographed copies of that issue IF you could beat the demo without dying, and you only got one attempt. I guess not many people were able to do it on thier first run at the con. A friend and I played that in co-op and just barely won us a couple of autographed copies of that issue. It was a helluva rush playing Red Star in co-op at the con shouting commands and warnings at eachother amist the background noise. Goss even wrote in a little speach bubble from Makita on the cover of our copies saying "September!" since the full game was originally to be released in Sept of that year. Quite a few people were pissed when it didnt get released.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How far did the comic get? I remember having the first 12 or so, then never really finding it again.

Also, $20? Yes please. And to think, they said I was mad for getting a PS2 5 years after release!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I got my comic book. No game yet!

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So I finally got this game in the mail maybe a week and a half ago, and I've been so busy playing it that I totally forgot to post about it at all.

It's fucking great. Anyone who's been on the fence about it should definitely invest the $20.

Am I basically just bumping this thread to tell you to buy the game? ...maybe.

Captain K on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Am I basically just bumping this thread to tell you to buy the game? ...maybe.

I only have a certain amount of monies dammit

LewieP on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited June 2007
    so do I buy this or odin sphere as my next game

JUDGE FOR ME, TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS

JUDGE FOR ME, FORUM

JUDGE

Whippy on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay, judeging by the video, this looks like a crazy Hunter: The Reckoning with some shump elements thrown in.

The game is PS2 only, right?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    so do I buy this or odin sphere as my next game

JUDGE FOR ME, TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS

JUDGE FOR ME, FORUM

JUDGE
    Umm... Why not get both? They both remind me of Treasure games in a lot of ways.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm enjoying Odin Sphere a lot more.
    Around 2.5x more, actually.
    It also costs 2.5x more. Coincidence?

Seriously, Odin Sphere is a better game all around, but Red Star is $20. Just swing the extra $20 and get both.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AceCoxswainAceCoxswain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Haven't played Odin Sphere, but I can definitely say Red Star is as worthwhile a purchase for $20 as you're going to find. FYI, I ordered mine off the website and had it in about a week, signed copy and all, so whatever supply problems they had seem to have been worked out. Oddly enough, they claimed the shipping would be $8.90, but mine was only $5.95... not a huge deal, but enough to make me glad I didn't drive around to four different places looking for it.

Also, as someone who's read the comic, while I'm glad to see the USA Today coverage of the game, it was rather amusing that the article didn't even mention that the game was based on a seperate body of work. To be fair, I guess it draws a few visual motifs at most from the comic... though in honesty, a Red Star game that was true to the source material wouldn't be nearly as much fun as the game I'm playing now.

AceCoxswain on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I've seriously gotten more playtime from this game than almost anything else I've bought this whole year, and that's at $20.

After you make it through the first few stages and really understand what everyone means by "beat em up plus shoot em up", you'll be hooked.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I finally beat this last night. My only beef with it is how you can really screw yourself over with upgrades, if you pick stupidly.

I was very pleased to beat level 18 with 4 life left. I overheated my guns when the boss was at 1% life and spend 10 seconds just trying to hold on for one more shot, barely made it :) Sadly Troika wasn't really that hard.

I'm really enjoying the unlockable chick, I'm going to mess around with her some and try to S-rank a bunch of stuff early so the game's easier.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The unlockable character is almost broken... using the icicle attack on melee-only enemies is so cheap that you can't help but abuse it the entire way through the game. :P

I still think Makita's the best character, though--her backflip will save your ass on a regular basis, and she strafes so fast while firing that it's hard to play with anyone else.

EDIT: As far as upgrades go, I think the most important thing is upgrading your default gun, which is always the most efficient against bosses, to level 3 as fast as you can. Armor and "lower heat consumption" are the next most valuable.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I never really used the backflip all that much. I did find her to be much better than the big guy though, just because it seemed easier to dodge around. The sorceress is really unique though, I'm liking that style a lot, especially her knockback attack.

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Maybe I'm a bigger fan of the backflip after playing the Arenas mode a lot. Sometimes it's the only way to escape from the swarms of cannon fodder dudes they pair with SMG troops and tougher melee enemies.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I recommend not getting Makita's 3rd gun upgrades. It fires in a 3-way pattern, which sounds cool. But is significantly weaker than maxing out the 1st and 2nd. And since there is no way to go back you'd have to start all over to do it 'right'.

Also, make sure to complete all of the arenas. That's where you unlock the 'cheats' and the EX difficulty.

Santa Claustrophobia on