As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOTY 2017 - DA RESULTS

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm ok being literally the only person who played Vikings- Wolves of Midgard. It's still a fun game and everyone who likes diablo should give it a go.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Honestly, between the launch of the Switch and the absolutely phenomenal first year they've had (BotW, Odyssey, M+R, and Xenoblade 2) and Horizon being my personal GotY, this has been one fantastic year of gaming and my overall favorite year in a long time. <3

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Last year was definitely a great year to spend some quality time playing video games. Not only were there a ton of really amazing releases, but it also offered a great way to distract oneself from how most of 2017 went otherwise.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    One of my favorite things from the results so far:

Sonic Mania placed at #20 of 244.
    Sonic Forces placed at #206 of 244.
    Poor Forces got ONE vote. Though our sample size seems low.

Hello yes thank you, I didn't think it was THAT bad

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    My favorite part of 2017 is that its releases will keep me busy for all of 2018.

Delays, missed dates, and lower-than-anticipated reviews of new stuff will bring relief, rather than frustration. That's kinda okay with me.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    One of my favorite things from the results so far:

Sonic Mania placed at #20 of 244.
    Sonic Forces placed at #206 of 244.
    Poor Forces got ONE vote. Though our sample size seems low.

Hello yes thank you, I didn't think it was THAT bad
    Well I more meant that Sonic Forces getting one vote means that out of the people who voted, you're the only one who played it at all (unless there were people who played more than 20 games from last year; in which case, wtf how).

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    You could have also played something that you thought was so bad that it didn't deserve ranking (this is for the best games of the year, after all).

I know in previous years people have mentioned denying games that they played any recognition.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I only add games that I liked/want to give recognition. I don't include everything I played.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    One things for sure, this was a GOOD year for games. That list is just loaded to the brim with great games.

And Mass Effect: Andromeda. :wink:

And somehow (for me at least) 2018 is looking even better.

The idea that we may be going from such a strong year directly into possibly the BEST year in my life of gaming is blowing my mindhole right now.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh, I didn't realize people wanted to snub some games that hard. If that's the case I should've left Animal Crossing off my list.

• Options
    Taking a look at the detailed results - it's a littttttle bit weird to me that ME: Andromeda can be so bouyed by eight votes for #6 - despite zero votes for #1 - to the degree that it ends up sitting three spots higher than Night in the Woods, which received six votes for #1. That's a lot of votes for #1! Then again, small sample size.

But the list is terrific overall.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    mcc described how the weighting worked a long time ago but I cannot remember for the life of me any of it. This was years ago. I do agree though that overall, the list is good.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    The "official" top 20 list is a Borda count style system. Your first pick gets 20 points, second pick gets 19 points, etc. until your last pick gets 1 point. If you don't make 20 selections, then the points still count down from 20 but you don't give them all away.

This is why there's a bit of a discrepancy in the lower ranks, where some people are voting for all games they played up until 20, like em or not, and others are only voting for games that they deem worthy of any points. So there's a bias to games that were played by many but not as well liked by many, so still received points. I shall dub this the "Mass Effect."

It's a good "consensus" system however, and there are other ways to count the votes, hence the "Alternative vote counting" section at the bottom.

First past the post is just counting everyone's #1 vote, and has a lot of flaws that many will probably be aware of, but there it is.

Approval score is just counting how many people put it on their list. This is basically the official Borda but every vote counts as 1 point, not counting down from 20.

Instant Runoff Voting is a process where we take everyone's first choice, rank em, and eliminate the bottom candidate from the running. Those people with eliminated candidate as their choice move onto their second choice, and we repeat the process until we have 20 candidates, then the list is the result. It's a "process" rather than straight "points" for your votes like the other methods.

And the raw information is all there in the results page, you can apply any other interpretations you wish to it.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I’m on a cruise right now, so I can’t get easy SSH access to my Raspberry Pi right now, but I usually do an alternative ranking that averages out each game’s ranking points from the Borda count. It’s a bit more clear about how high each game placed on average for each person who voted for it, AND it allows a way to compare years because it is almost independent of the Borda score that weighs heavily towards games that “everyone” played. I’ll probably work on that next Monday or Tuesday. (I think I forgot to do this last year, so I’ll run those numbers, too.)

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Pyre not even in the top 25.

I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Robbed!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I’m on a cruise right now, so I can’t get easy SSH access to my Raspberry Pi right now, but I usually do an alternative ranking that averages out each game’s ranking points from the Borda count. It’s a bit more clear about how high each game placed on average for each person who voted for it, AND it allows a way to compare years because it is almost independent of the Borda score that weighs heavily towards games that “everyone” played. I’ll probably work on that next Monday or Tuesday. (I think I forgot to do this last year, so I’ll run those numbers, too.)

If you or others want the raw data and know how to use it, I can anonymize the data and make it available to you. It would give you voter-level rankings which is important sometimes.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    (I wasn't trying to stir the pot or claim that the system is flawed. It's obviously well-reasoned and it's going to have a little bit of wonk with such a small sample size. Thank you for your hard work in putting it all together)

• Options
    No worries, breaking it down in different ways has been a part of the poll since before my time. In fact, I'm not super sure of exactly how mcc's IRV works. :rotate: I've just been keeping them all alive.

I've been doing the system top 10 thing, because I thought it useful to have in addition to the top 20s overall. This year I balled up "Mobile" because the individual systems barely broke 10 titles period, and the "top 10 list" was based on single votes on random titles as the depth of titles was not very much. You can see all the games in order for a system for yourself, but I didn't make a list for it in the OP because it wasn't informative. Just like last year where I didn't even have a list for PC, PS, or XBox. The winning titles in the end were all available on each platform, there were no exclusives in the top list, so it informed people of little. This year they're back because they actually have differences!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

If you or others want the raw data and know how to use it, I can anonymize the data and make it available to you. It would give you voter-level rankings which is important sometimes.
    Oh, sweet, there was a calculation that I wanted to do a few years back that would have involved knowing specific votes, but I’ll be damned if I can remember right now.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Taking a look at the detailed results - it's a littttttle bit weird to me that ME: Andromeda can be so bouyed by eight votes for #6 - despite zero votes for #1 - to the degree that it ends up sitting three spots higher than Night in the Woods, which received six votes for #1. That's a lot of votes for #1! Then again, small sample size.

Well, I had Andromeda at #2, so that probably pushed it up a spot or two

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm really sad that Uncharted Lost Legacy wasn't significantly higher. It might actually be the best Uncharted game. Other than that the list is hard to argue with.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Well, I had Andromeda at #2, so that probably pushed it up a spot or two

Yea I forget exactly where I had it but I think it was at 2 or 3.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I'm really sad that Uncharted Lost Legacy wasn't significantly higher. It might actually be the best Uncharted game. Other than that the list is hard to argue with.
    My only experience with Uncharted was a demo for the very first one that featured a really terrible cover shooter bit in a jungle. So I never really bothered with the series (disinterest in the main lead contributes greatly to that).

But Lost Legacy piqued my interest. Is it a good stand-alone romp for a non-fan to try out?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    My only experience with Uncharted was a demo for the very first one that featured a really terrible cover shooter bit in a jungle. So I never really bothered with the series (disinterest in the main lead contributes greatly to that).

But Lost Legacy piqued my interest. Is it a good stand-alone romp for a non-fan to try out?
    I'd say you'd at least want to play 4 before Lost Legacy, a lot of character work carries over.

I can't really recommend playing the original Uncharted today, it hasn't aged the best, but 4 is still a really solid action adventure game. Nathan is written in a much more grounded, human way there as opposed to the generic action movie dude in the original.

Darlan on
  • Options

The Uncharted Series basically re-invented the Original Tomb Raider formula, before the Tomb Raider reboots took that formula and expanded on it.

I would say that the writing on Uncharted 1 and 2 hasn't aged well, but the gameplay/most of the story holds up on them.

You absolutely *can* play Lost Legacy without having played the 4 mainline games, but you will lose a bit of context in some of the character interactions.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    You can download the votes as a CSV.

File format is:

line 1: count of games (G)
    line 2 - G+1: game ID, game name
    line G+2: count of voters (V)
    line G+3 - G+2+V: voter ID, rank 1, rank 2, rank 3, etc.

A simple example file would be:
    1,"Super Great Game"
    2,"Even Better"

OrokosPA.png
  • Options

The Uncharted Series basically re-invented the Original Tomb Raider formula, before the Tomb Raider reboots took that formula and expanded on it.

I would say that the writing on Uncharted 1 and 2 hasn't aged well, but the gameplay/most of the story holds up on them.

You absolutely *can* play Lost Legacy without having played the 4 mainline games, but you will lose a bit of context in some of the character interactions.
    I think you could get away with playing 2, 4, and LL at this point.

Also, the demo for U1 was literally the worst part of that game to show off. That combat arena has too many ways for them to flank you and it’s not clear until you’ve already played a bit how you are supposed to manage that.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Also, the demo for U1 was literally the worst part of that game to show off. That combat arena has too many ways for them to flank you and it’s not clear until you’ve already played a bit how you are supposed to manage that.

2 is the best imo. (until the weird last level) 3 was good too. Never played the PS4 uncharteds.

I think, unfortunately, people are losing interest in uncharted at this point.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »

2 is the best imo. (until the weird last level) 3 was good too. Never played the PS4 uncharteds.

Uncharted 4 outsold the first 3. Lost Legacy "suffers" from being a spinoff/not sequel, so I think people paid less attention to it because of that, which is a shame because it was really good.

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Uncharted 4 outsold the first 3. Lost Legacy "suffers" from being a spinoff/not sequel, so I think people paid less attention to it because of that, which is a shame because it was really good.
    Also, this year was brutal to launch a standalone offshoot to a console exclusive game like this.

• Options
    Okay, it looks like I've missed this for longer than I thought? Or else I lost a year or two when my Linux PC crashed. (Thankfully I have a copy of all of the scripts used to create them.) Basically, this is an average of where people ranked games in their own lists. For instance, in our current scoring, let's say 2000 people played and voted for Game A, but all of them ranked it last. That means that game gets 2000 points. Then Game B has 100 players vote for it, and they all rank it as number 1. That game also gets 2000 points. I think it's fair to say that Game B is probably "better" but underappreciated perhaps. (2015 has a very good example of this in a WiiU game.) What my ranking does is give Game A a 1 average score, and gives Game B a 20 average score. What it also does is give you a way to rank games across multiple years on some level (though it isn't perfect because of the decreased number of people voting and the increased number of games available each year).

In these rankings, the first column is the new ranking, the second column is the average score, the third column is the number of voters for that particular game, the fourth column is the percentage of people who voted for that game at any level, and the final column is the original ranking for that year with the game name.

I'm going to go in order of years, so here is 2015 first.
      1) | 17.97 |  66 | 36.07% | 2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC, PS4, XBO)
      2) | 17.62 |  32 | 17.49% | 12. Splatoon (WiiU)
      3) | 17.52 |  63 | 34.43% | 3. Undertale (PC)
      4) | 17.26 |  34 | 18.58% | 11. Tales from the Borderlands (X360, XBO, Mobile, PS4, PC, PS3)
      5) | 16.67 |  15 |  8.20% | 30. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)
      6) | 16.43 |  58 | 31.69% | 4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
      7) | 16.38 |  56 | 30.60% | 5. Bloodborne (PS4)
      8) | 16.35 |  55 | 30.05% | 6. Life Is Strange (PC, PS4, PS3, X360, XBO)
      9) | 15.95 |  42 | 22.95% | 9. Super Mario Maker (WiiU)
     10) | 15.76 |  21 | 11.48% | 23. Rise of the Tomb Raider (X360, XBO)
     11) | 15.27 |  83 | 45.36% | 1. Fallout 4 (PC, PS4, XBO)
     12) | 15.12 |  49 | 26.78% | 8. Rocket League (PC, PS4)
     13) | 15.02 |  50 | 27.32% | 7. Pillars of Eternity (PC)
     14) | 14.93 |  14 |  7.65% | 38. Soma (PC, PS4)
     15) | 14.83 |  24 | 13.11% | 18. Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU)
     16) | 14.71 |  21 | 11.48% | 24. Shadowrun: Hong Kong (PC)
     17) | 14.70 |  20 | 10.93% | 25. Until Dawn (PS4)
     18) | 14.58 |  36 | 19.67% | 13. Kerbal Space Program (PC)
     19) | 14.50 |  10 |  5.46% | 49. TIS-100 (PC)
     20) | 14.44 |  25 | 13.66% | 17. Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4, XBO, PC)
     21) | 14.33 |  12 |  6.56% | 45. Axiom Verge (PS4, PC)
     22) | 14.31 |  35 | 19.13% | 14. Ori and the Blind Forest (XBO, PC)
     23) | 14.29 |  14 |  7.65% | 40. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (PC)
     24) | 14.00 |  11 |  6.01% | 48. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (PC)
     25) | 13.80 |  15 |  8.20% | 39. Downwell (PC, Mobile)
     26) | 13.72 |  25 | 13.66% | 19. Invisible, Inc. (PC)
     27) | 13.48 |  25 | 13.66% | 21. Star Wars: Battlefront (PC, PS4, XBO)
     28) | 13.47 |  19 | 10.38% | 29. Rock Band 4 (PS4, XBO)
     29) | 13.39 |  46 | 25.14% | 10. Cities: Skylines (PC)
     30) | 13.39 |  18 |  9.84% | 32. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
     31) | 13.36 |  25 | 13.66% | 22. Heroes of the Storm (PC)
     32) | 13.31 |  16 |  8.74% | 37. Final Fantasy Record Keeper (Mobile)
     33) | 13.09 |  32 | 17.49% | 16. Crypt of the Necrodancer (PC)
     34) | 13.00 |  12 |  6.56% | 47. Halo 5: Guardians (XBO)
     35) | 13.00 |  17 |  9.29% | 35. Yoshi's Woolly World (WiiU)
     36) | 12.88 |  17 |  9.29% | 36. Helldivers (PS4, PS3, PSVita, PC)
     37) | 12.74 |  35 | 19.13% | 15. Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, XBO, PC)
     38) | 12.67 |  15 |  8.20% | 42. Nuclear Throne (PC, PS4, PSVita)
     39) | 12.63 |  27 | 14.75% | 20. Dying Light (PC, PS4, XBO)
     40) | 12.55 |  11 |  6.01% | 51. The Jackbox Party Pack 2 (PC, PS3, PS4, XBO)
     41) | 12.43 |  21 | 11.48% | 28. Just Cause 3 (PC, PS4, XBO)
     42) | 12.32 |  19 | 10.38% | 33. Grow Home (PC, PS4)
     43) | 12.31 |  16 |  8.74% | 41. Prison Architect (PC)
     44) | 11.88 |  16 |  8.74% | 42. Sunless Sea (PC)
     45) | 11.80 |  10 |  5.46% | 57. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (PS4, PS3, X360, XBO, PC)
     46) | 11.57 |  21 | 11.48% | 31. Mad Max (PC, PS4, XBO)
     47) | 11.45 |  20 | 10.93% | 34. Mortal Kombat X (Mobile, PC, PS4, XBO)
     48) | 11.30 |  10 |  5.46% | 60. The Sims 4 (PC)
     49) | 11.25 |  12 |  6.56% | 54. Saints Row: Gat out of Hell (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
     50) | 10.90 |  10 |  5.46% | 63. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PC, PS4, XBO)
     51) | 10.85 |  13 |  7.10% | 50. Massive Chalice (PC, XBO)
     52) | 10.80 |  25 | 13.66% | 27. Her Story (PC, Mobile)
     53) | 10.62 |  13 |  7.10% | 51. Transformers: Devastation (PC, PS4, PS3, XBO, X360)
     54) | 10.29 |  17 |  9.29% | 44. Rebel Galaxy (PC, PS4, XBO)
     55) | 10.19 |  16 |  8.74% | 46. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PS4, PSVita, PC)
     56) | 10.15 |  13 |  7.10% | 55. Contradiction (Mobile, PC)
     57) |  9.97 |  29 | 15.85% | 26. Fallout Shelter (Mobile)
     58) |  9.79 |  14 |  7.65% | 53. Lara Croft Go (Mobile, WP)
     59) |  9.75 |  12 |  6.56% | 58. Galak-Z: The Dimensional (PS4, PC)
     60) |  9.70 |  10 |  5.46% | 69. Broforce (PC)
     61) |  9.55 |  11 |  6.01% | 65. The Beginner's Guide (PC)
     62) |  9.42 |  12 |  6.56% | 60. Broken Age Act 2 (PC)
     63) |  8.71 |  14 |  7.65% | 56. Game of Thrones (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO, Mobile)

• Options
    2016:
      1) | 17.00 |  89 | 55.97% | 1. Overwatch (PC,PS4,XBO)
      2) | 16.67 |  30 | 18.87% | 13. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
      3) | 16.47 |  76 | 47.80% | 2. DOOM (PC,PS4,XBO)
      4) | 16.37 |  41 | 25.79% | 5. The Witness (PC,PS4,XBO)
      5) | 16.25 |  61 | 38.36% | 3. Stardew Valley (PC,PS4,XBO)
      6) | 16.07 |  41 | 25.79% | 6. Pokémon Sun and Moon (3DS)
      7) | 16.06 |  47 | 29.56% | 4. Titanfall 2 (PC,PS4,XBO)
      8) | 15.47 |  38 | 23.90% | 8. HITMAN (PC,PS4,XBO)
      9) | 15.19 |  16 | 10.06% | 25. Forza Horizon 3 (PC,XBO)
     10) | 15.00 |  10 |  6.29% | 36. Zero Time Dilemma (3DS,PC,PSVita)
     11) | 14.82 |  34 | 21.38% | 12. Civilization VI (PC)
     12) | 14.66 |  41 | 25.79% | 7. Dark Souls III (PC,PS4,XBO)
     13) | 14.44 |  16 | 10.06% | 27. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (3DS)
     14) | 14.27 |  33 | 20.75% | 16. Stellaris (PC)
     15) | 14.17 |  29 | 18.24% | 20. Inside (PC,PS4,XBO)
     16) | 14.15 |  41 | 25.79% | 9. XCOM 2 (PC,PS4,XBO)
     17) | 14.10 |  30 | 18.87% | 18. Hyper Light Drifter (PC,PS4,XBO)
     18) | 13.88 |  34 | 21.38% | 15. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC,PS4,XBO)
     19) | 13.80 |  10 |  6.29% | 42. VA-11 HALL-A (PC)
     20) | 13.64 |  11 |  6.92% | 36. Another Metroid 2 Remake (PC)
     21) | 13.61 |  36 | 22.64% | 14. Darkest Dungeon (PC,PS4,PSVita)
     22) | 13.57 |  21 | 13.21% | 24. Dishonored 2 (PC,PS4,XBO)
     23) | 13.44 |  16 | 10.06% | 30. Overcooked (PC,PS4,XBO)
     24) | 13.41 |  29 | 18.24% | 21. Fire Emblem Fates (3DS)
     25) | 13.39 |  18 | 11.32% | 26. Tyranny (PC)
     26) | 13.32 |  40 | 25.16% | 10. Firewatch (PC,PS4,XBO)
     27) | 13.28 |  40 | 25.16% | 11. SUPERHOT (PC,XBO)
     28) | 13.27 |  11 |  6.92% | 39. Ratchet & Clank (PS4)
     29) | 13.18 |  11 |  6.92% | 40. Devil Daggers (PC)
     30) | 13.16 |  32 | 20.13% | 19. Final Fantasy XV (PS4,XBO)
     31) | 12.88 |  16 | 10.06% | 31. Tokyo Mirage Sessions .FE (WiiU)
     32) | 12.82 |  17 | 10.69% | 29. Battlefield 1 (PC,PS4,XBO)
     33) | 12.80 |  15 |  9.43% | 32. Oxenfree (PC,XBO)
     34) | 12.75 |  12 |  7.55% | 34. Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PC,PS4,XBO)
     35) | 12.67 |  12 |  7.55% | 35. Grim Dawn (PC)
     36) | 12.33 |  18 | 11.32% | 28. Starbound (PC)
     37) | 12.08 |  13 |  8.18% | 33. Total War: Warhammer (PC)
     38) | 11.89 |  38 | 23.90% | 17. Pokémon Go (Mobile)
     39) | 11.67 |  12 |  7.55% | 41. Watch Dogs 2 (PC,PS4,XBO)
     40) | 11.45 |  11 |  6.92% | 44. The Jackbox Party Pack 3 (PC,PS4,XBO)
     41) | 11.31 |  13 |  8.18% | 38. Street Fighter V (PC,PS4)
     42) | 11.23 |  30 | 18.87% | 22. Tom Clancy's The Division (PC,PS4,XBO)
     43) | 11.20 |  10 |  6.29% | 49. Enter the Gungeon (PC,PS4)
     44) | 11.00 |  10 |  6.29% | 51. Amplitude (PS4)
     45) | 10.58 |  31 | 19.50% | 23. No Man's Sky (PC,PS4)
     46) |  9.92 |  12 |  7.55% | 46. Let It Die (PS4)
     47) |  8.42 |  12 |  7.55% | 53. Super Mario Run (Mobile)
     48) |  8.33 |  12 |  7.55% | 54. Abzû (PC,PS4,XBO)

• Options
    2017:
      1) | 17.51 |  87 | 60.84% | 1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
      2) | 17.39 |  51 | 35.66% | 3. Nier: Automata (PC, PS4)
      3) | 17.21 |  73 | 51.05% | 2. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
      4) | 16.13 |  54 | 37.76% | 4. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
      5) | 16.10 |  21 | 14.69% | 14. Night in the Woods (PC, PS4)
      6) | 16.00 |  14 |  9.79% | 29. Divinity: Original Sin II (PC)
      7) | 15.91 |  46 | 32.17% | 5. Persona 5 (PS4, PS3)
      8) | 15.58 |  19 | 13.29% | 18. Yakuza 0 (PS4)
      9) | 15.53 |  17 | 11.89% | 22. Tales of Berseria (PC, PS4)
     10) | 15.50 |  24 | 16.78% | 12. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PC, XBO)
     11) | 15.13 |  31 | 21.68% | 9. Cuphead (PC, XBO)
     12) | 15.12 |  24 | 16.78% | 13. Prey (PC, PS4, XBO)
     13) | 14.70 |  20 | 13.99% | 19. Hollow Knight (PC)
     14) | 14.61 |  23 | 16.08% | 15. Assassin's Creed: Origins (PC, PS4, XBO)
     15) | 14.36 |  11 |  7.69% | 33. Nioh (PC, PS4)
     16) | 14.35 |  17 | 11.89% | 25. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
     17) | 14.27 |  22 | 15.38% | 16. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
     18) | 14.25 |  16 | 11.19% | 27. What Remains of Edith Finch (PC, PS4, XBO)
     19) | 14.22 |  18 | 12.59% | 23. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC, PS4)
     20) | 14.11 |  19 | 13.29% | 21. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (PC, PS4, XBO, PSVR)
     21) | 14.09 |  22 | 15.38% | 17. Doki Doki Literature Club! (PC)
     22) | 14.03 |  34 | 23.78% | 7. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (NS)
     23) | 13.85 |  34 | 23.78% | 8. Destiny 2 (PC, PS4, XBO)
     24) | 13.83 |  18 | 12.59% | 24. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PS4, PSVITA, PC, NS)
     25) | 13.73 |  11 |  7.69% | 34. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (PC, PS4, XBO)
     26) | 13.70 |  10 |  6.99% | 37. Golf Story (NS)
     27) | 13.57 |  14 |  9.79% | 30. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (3DS, NS, PC, PS3, PS4, PSVITA, WIIU, X360, XBO)
     28) | 13.56 |  36 | 25.17% | 6. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PC, PS4, XBO)
     29) | 13.53 |  17 | 11.89% | 26. Pyre (PC, PS4)
     30) | 13.41 |  17 | 11.89% | 27. Injustice 2 (PS4, XBO)
     31) | 13.23 |  22 | 15.38% | 20. Sonic Mania (PC, NS, PS4, XBO)
     32) | 12.87 |  30 | 20.98% | 10. Splatoon 2 (NS)
     33) | 12.69 |  13 |  9.09% | 31. Torment: Tides of Numenera (PC, PS4, XBO)
     34) | 12.53 |  30 | 20.98% | 11. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC, PS4, XBO)
     35) | 12.45 |  11 |  7.69% | 37. Heat Signature (PC)
     36) | 12.38 |  13 |  9.09% | 32. Tekken 7 (PC, PS4, XBO)
     37) | 12.33 |  12 |  8.39% | 35. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
     38) | 11.58 |  12 |  8.39% | 36. Battle Chef Brigade (PC, NS)
     39) | 11.55 |  11 |  7.69% | 39. Cosmic Star Heroine (PC, PS4)
     40) | 11.09 |  11 |  7.69% | 42. Fire Emblem Heroes (Mobile)
     41) | 10.09 |  11 |  7.69% | 46. Middle-earth: Shadow of War (PC, PS4, XBO)
     42) |  7.90 |  10 |  6.99% | 58. Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp (Mobile)

Oh, I also should mention that I have a cutoff for only including games that have 10 or more votes. Down at the 3-5 vote or less range, some games pop up very high because only a couple people played it. I can post some of the rankings with that tweaked lower if people want to see it.

• Options
    And here is the "top 100" with this ranking method compared against all years:
      1) | 18.90 | 503 | 54.50% | 2006-1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii, GC)
      2) | 18.69 | 349 | 52.40% | 2010-1. Mass Effect 2 (360,PC)
      3) | 18.38 | 181 | 23.60% | 2009-7. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
      4) | 18.32 | 471 | 48.06% | 2005-1. Resident Evil 4 (GC, PS2)
      5) | 18.32 | 288 | 55.81% | 2011-1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PC, PS3)
      6) | 18.25 | 289 | 57.34% | 2004-1. Half-Life 2 (PC)
      7) | 17.99 | 488 | 50.99% | 2008-1. Fallout 3 (PC, 360, PS3)
      8) | 17.97 |  66 | 36.07% | 2015-2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC, PS4, XBO)
      9) | 17.91 | 445 | 48.63% | 2007-3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
     10) | 17.80 | 344 | 44.85% | 2009-2. Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
     11) | 17.78 | 368 | 47.98% | 2009-1. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
     12) | 17.75 | 537 | 58.69% | 2007-1. Portal (PC, PS3, 360)
     13) | 17.75 | 366 | 39.65% | 2006-2. Gears of War (360)
     14) | 17.70 |  87 |  9.09% | 2008-26. Persona 4 (PS2)
     15) | 17.66 | 140 | 45.75% | 2012-1. The Walking Dead (iOS, 360, PC, PS3)
     16) | 17.62 |  32 | 17.49% | 2015-12. Splatoon (WiiU)
     17) | 17.54 |  68 |  6.94% | 2005-32. Phantom Dust (XBox)
     18) | 17.52 |  63 | 34.43% | 2015-3. Undertale (PC)
     19) | 17.51 | 154 | 30.56% | 2004-3. World of Warcraft (PC)
     20) | 17.51 |  87 | 60.84% | 2017-1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS, WIIU)
     21) | 17.48 | 336 | 36.72% | 2007-4. Mass Effect (360)
     22) | 17.43 | 224 | 33.63% | 2010-2. Red Dead Redemption (360,PS3)
     23) | 17.40 | 291 | 56.40% | 2011-2. Portal 2 (360, PC, PS3)
     24) | 17.39 |  51 | 35.66% | 2017-3. Nier: Automata (PC, PS4)
     25) | 17.33 | 230 | 24.92% | 2006-6. Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
     26) | 17.32 | 117 | 12.23% | 2008-15. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
     27) | 17.32 | 291 | 29.69% | 2005-3. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
     28) | 17.26 |  34 | 18.58% | 2015-11. Tales from the Borderlands (X360, XBO, Mobile, PS4, PC, PS3)
     29) | 17.21 |  73 | 51.05% | 2017-2. Super Mario Odyssey (NS)
     30) | 17.16 |  93 | 37.96% | 2014-1. Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
     31) | 17.16 |  90 | 30.41% | 2013-3. The Last Of Us (PS3)
     32) | 17.10 | 134 | 43.79% | 2012-2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown (360, PC, PS3)
     33) | 17.08 | 388 | 40.54% | 2008-2. Left 4 Dead (360, PC)
     34) | 17.07 | 207 | 26.99% | 2009-6. Assassin's Creed II (360,PS3)
     35) | 17.06 |  18 |  7.35% | 2014-35. Elite: Dangerous (PC)
     36) | 17.03 | 368 | 39.87% | 2006-3. Oblivion (360,PC)
     37) | 17.02 |  89 | 17.25% | 2011-9. Dark Souls (360, PS3)
     38) | 17.02 | 174 | 17.76% | 2005-9. Civilization 4 (PC)
     39) | 17.00 |  89 | 55.97% | 2016-1. Overwatch (PC,PS4,XBO)
     40) | 16.99 | 234 | 23.88% | 2005-5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
     41) | 16.99 | 110 | 21.83% | 2004-9. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
     42) | 16.92 | 473 | 51.69% | 2007-2. Bioshock (360, PC)
     43) | 16.88 | 138 | 27.38% | 2004-5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
     44) | 16.75 | 237 | 25.68% | 2006-7. Guitar Hero 2 (PS2)
     45) | 16.74 | 200 | 38.76% | 2011-4. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
     46) | 16.73 |  99 | 14.86% | 2010-14. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (PC)
     47) | 16.72 | 204 | 22.10% | 2006-9. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (PC)
     48) | 16.69 |  58 | 23.67% | 2014-5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (WiiU)
     49) | 16.68 |  73 | 24.66% | 2013-5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
     50) | 16.67 | 132 | 19.82% | 2010-7. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
     51) | 16.67 |  15 |  8.20% | 2015-30. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)
     52) | 16.67 |  30 | 18.87% | 2016-13. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
     53) | 16.65 |  52 | 21.22% | 2014-9. Dark Souls II (PS3, X360, PC)
     54) | 16.64 | 115 | 12.02% | 2008-18. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (PC)
     55) | 16.63 | 144 | 15.60% | 2006-13. Company of Heroes (PC)
     56) | 16.61 | 228 | 24.92% | 2007-9. Rock Band (360, PS3)
     57) | 16.59 |  71 |  7.69% | 2006-27. Medieval 2: Total War (PC)
     58) | 16.58 | 144 | 14.69% | 2005-15. Guitar Hero (PS2)
     59) | 16.56 | 161 | 16.82% | 2008-10. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
     60) | 16.55 | 205 | 22.21% | 2006-10. Elite Beat Agents (DS)
     61) | 16.54 | 183 | 36.31% | 2004-2. Halo 2 (XBOX)
     62) | 16.47 |  76 | 47.80% | 2016-2. DOOM (PC,PS4,XBO)
     63) | 16.47 | 202 | 20.61% | 2005-6. Battlefield 2 (PC)
     64) | 16.46 |  41 |  8.13% | 2004-30. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC)
     65) | 16.43 |  58 | 31.69% | 2015-4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
     66) | 16.43 | 124 | 16.17% | 2009-13. Demon's Souls (PS3)
     67) | 16.43 | 195 | 29.28% | 2010-3. Starcraft 2 (PC)
     68) | 16.42 | 173 | 25.98% | 2010-4. Fallout: New Vegas (360,PC,PS3)
     69) | 16.42 | 387 | 39.49% | 2005-2. Mario Kart DS (DS)
     70) | 16.41 |  58 | 18.95% | 2012-13. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
     71) | 16.38 |  56 | 30.60% | 2015-5. Bloodborne (PS4)
     72) | 16.37 |  41 | 25.79% | 2016-5. The Witness (PC,PS4,XBO)
     73) | 16.36 | 124 | 12.65% | 2005-18. Call of Duty 2 (PC)
     74) | 16.36 | 222 | 28.94% | 2009-5. Left 4 Dead 2 (360,PC)
     75) | 16.35 |  55 | 30.05% | 2015-6. Life Is Strange (PC, PS4, PS3, X360, XBO)
     76) | 16.34 |  35 | 11.44% | 2012-19. Crusader Kings II (PC)
     77) | 16.32 | 322 | 35.19% | 2007-5. Team Fortress 2 (PC, PS3, 360)
     78) | 16.29 |  34 | 11.49% | 2013-23. Dota 2 (PC)
     79) | 16.29 |  58 | 18.95% | 2012-14. Journey (PS3*)
     80) | 16.29 | 115 | 17.27% | 2010-11. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360,PS3)
     81) | 16.27 |  92 |  9.39% | 2005-25. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (PS2, XBox, GC)
     82) | 16.26 | 359 | 38.89% | 2006-4. Wii Sports (Wii)
     83) | 16.26 | 129 | 25.00% | 2011-6. Saints Row: The Third (360, PC, PS3)
     84) | 16.25 |  40 | 13.51% | 2013-16. Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
     85) | 16.25 |  61 | 38.36% | 2016-3. Stardew Valley (PC,PS4,XBO)
     86) | 16.24 | 266 | 27.80% | 2008-4. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
     87) | 16.21 |  52 |  7.81% | 2010-34. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (PC)
     88) | 16.20 |  99 | 19.19% | 2011-8. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
     89) | 16.18 | 172 | 18.63% | 2006-11. Okami (PS2)
     90) | 16.17 | 138 | 45.10% | 2012-3. Mass Effect 3 (360, PS3, PC, WiiU)
     91) | 16.17 | 282 | 36.77% | 2009-3. Borderlands (360,PC,PS3)
     92) | 16.17 |  84 | 34.29% | 2014-2. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PC, PS4, XBO, PS3, X360)
     93) | 16.16 |  37 |  3.78% | 2005-54. Geometry Wars 2 (XBox 360)
     94) | 16.14 |  21 |  7.09% | 2013-36. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS, WiiU)
     95) | 16.14 |  84 | 16.28% | 2011-10. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (PC)
     96) | 16.13 |  54 | 37.76% | 2017-4. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
     97) | 16.10 |  21 | 14.69% | 2017-14. Night in the Woods (PC, PS4)
     98) | 16.09 | 194 | 19.80% | 2005-8. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
     99) | 16.09 | 314 | 34.32% | 2007-6. Call of Duty 4 (360, PS3, PC)
    100) | 16.07 |  41 | 25.79% | 2016-6. Pokémon Sun and Moon (3DS)

One of the most interesting things here is how many voters we used to have. I love this community, and I still think it's one of the best forums around, but it's a bummer how many people have moved on (or just ignored the voting process, I suppose).

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    When MCC ran it didn't it used to get posted to a few other places as well?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote: »
    When MCC ran it didn't it used to get posted to a few other places as well?
    Yeah, originally platformers.net (I think) and later her Twitter friends. However, I think she also split the results out for all and just PA, so for those years, I believe I grabbed the “just PA” lists. It’s been a while though.

• Options
    In fact, here are those results:
    https://data.runhello.com/vote.html
    Most of the years are split out; I will doublecheck which lists I used tomorrow.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Thanks overall I prefer the averaged lists. Night in the Woods was my GOTY so I'm happy that it shot up to 5th on the averaged lists.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Thanks overall I prefer the averaged lists. Night in the Woods was my GOTY so I'm happy that it shot up to 5th on the averaged lists.
    Yeah, I think it says something about how some games rank really highly simply because a lot of people have played it. I suspect there is a name for this method, but I’m not a professional pollster.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it says something about how some games rank really highly simply because a lot of people have played it. I suspect there is a name for this method, but I’m not a professional pollster.

Selection bias, maybe? I’m also not a professional pollster.