Options

[Celeste] Just Breathe

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Holy shit. ‘Reflection’ was intense!

There seemed to be multiple paths through the earlier bits of the level, is that the case?

That is the case.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    6-C and 7-C are down. I am pretty proud I took out 7-C in less than 150 deaths!

8-C looks a bit much for me though. I have never used the wavedash jump for anything other than a burst of speed, and now I'm supposed to hit it precisely with zero room to maneuver in the first room, multiple times in a row? Geez.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Beat this yesterday, and learned that the ps4's dpad is not very good. I was having a lot of issues with the inputs being read as diagonals even when I carefully held only horizontals. I had 430 deaths on the final chapter, and 75% were because of this issue when dashing. Probably should have tried a different controller.

The game was delightful, but I'm not interested in grinding those strawberries or b-sides. I love that the game presents those layers of challenge, though, for people who want the basic experience or masocore Meatboy nightmare.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Beat this yesterday, and learned that the ps4's dpad is not very good. I was having a lot of issues with the inputs being read as diagonals even when I carefully held only horizontals. I had 430 deaths on the final chapter, and 75% were because of this issue when dashing. Probably should have tried a different controller.

The game was delightful, but I'm not interested in grinding those strawberries or b-sides. I love that the game presents those layers of challenge, though, for people who want the basic experience or masocore Meatboy nightmare.

I had the same problem with diagonal dashes on an XB1 controller, hell even tried an 8bitdo SNES controller. I dunno, it feels like something in the game really favors diagonal dashes, or most likely I just suck.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Beat all the B-Sides. On C-1 now.

8-B actually had a few rooms I didn't need Assist Mode for!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I'm stumped at what I assume is a side bit of the final ascent.
    DZDHNgMVQAA9thl.jpg:large

Am I just failing to be pixel perfect in two diagonal up-left dashes with a last second turn and grab, or am I missing a trick?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Answer after finding that spot again, a hint:
    Not really pixel perfect, or a trick per se, you just might be doing too many diagonal dashes.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I'm stumped at what I assume is a side bit of the final ascent.
    DZDHNgMVQAA9thl.jpg:large

Am I just failing to be pixel perfect in two diagonal up-left dashes with a last second turn and grab, or am I missing a trick?
    Fall to the left for a bit before dashing. Then a left or up-left dash can put you into position for a vertical dash up to the side of the wall.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Okay, so nothing I'm missing (I was a bit worried as there had already been two hidden sections in order to reach that point) so much as me just not being quick/good enough. Glad to know. I'll keep at it!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I clearly just needed a break as I did it first attempt when I turned it back on!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I clearly just needed a break as I did it first attempt when I turned it back on!

Complaining on the forums always works.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    BOOYAH!

8-C is down! I have officially beaten every level in Celeste! God I have positively loved this game. Game of the year up to here, no contest. I'm just sad I've run out of levels!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    Oh my fucking god. This fucking game.

I'm not very far; just at the part where, I don't know, self-doubt is chasing me or something.

My 360 controller has a terrible d-pad, obviously. My cheap knockoff PS3 controller has a slightly better d-pad, but I'm still dashing diagonally when I want to be dashing horizontally.

Can anyone recommend a decent controller with a decent d-pad?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Whoooo I just beat Celeste... I mean not really but I got the ending. Don't open this spoiler unless you've climbed the mountain.
    079103C920F32E0C214075B7C5EA279140D8A77F
    pssst also don't look at the death count... at least a bunch of those are from the B sides.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Just looked up the location of the B-side in the forsaken city and man I feel dumb for missing that. It glows with unearthly energies, how did I not see that?

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I picked this up on sale on Steam after hearing so much praise and not having played a hardcore precision platformer outside of older games. I made it through Chapter 1 all right, 9/20 strawberries and 55 deaths. It's already incredibly charming and I anticipate/dread the point when it becomes incredibly frustrating.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I picked this up on sale on Steam after hearing so much praise and not having played a hardcore precision platformer outside of older games. I made it through Chapter 1 all right, 9/20 strawberries and 55 deaths. It's already incredibly charming and I anticipate/dread the point when it becomes incredibly frustrating.

But then it's just so satisfying to muscle through the hard stuff.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    And there’s always Assist Mode, to make the challenges less so if needed.

• Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular

Celeste is the only "hard" game I have beaten in the last decade since I left college. I died 3000+ times without doing any B or C sides (never did manage to figure our assist mode) but really, really enjoyed the experience. Often times putting it down and coming back to it helps, at least for me. Try 100 times, give up...next day you get through that section in 3 tries.

• Options
    I feel like the music really helps. It keeps you focused but calm. Breath in, breath out.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I enjoyed my first play session with the game (first 3 chapters), but it started a callus on my thumb with the X1 analog stick. That's made me cautious for long play sessions on it.

• Options
    The one hint "You can't outrun your reflection" has the same energy as "Do you feel like a hero yet?"

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Regarding the shadow
    after playing through the hotel chapter, it occurred to me suddenly that the shadow being so mean to the hotel owner really meant that Madeline was having those thoughts the entire time, just choosing to hide them and force a kind front. It's a really neat way to show an inner monologue and the different depths of the character.

• Options
    Climb update:

I finished Chapter 3, 13 strawberries and 270 deaths. Ouch. Most of them came from trying to get berries, but a good chunk of them was from that chase sequence at the end. Still, progress. I'm getting better at the ins and outs of the mechanics, and things have been very doable. Madeline continues to be adorable and I'm completely fine with that.

• Options
  • Options
    I just got through Chapter 6. . . Did I just have a boss battle? One that dragged on a bit too much, in my opinion, but a pretty cool one. I like the way every mechanic and skill you learn keep building up with each new chapter. That's the hallmark of a well-designed platformer. And I didn't die over two hundred times either! I'm getting better, I think!

• Options
    Hah, the 2 marker checkpoint on the Summit B-side is the meanest thing I've seen so far in this game. An entire long screen dedicated to trying to get you to reflexively hit A and kill yourself.

• Options
    OK, so I finished the main story, saw you need some collectables to progress further in Chapter 8, and I'm going through stages again to look for stuff. I decide to try Chapter 2's B-side (the only one I have so far). . .

. . . Honkin' hell, my blood pressure spiked so quickly. Those are not to be trifled with, I see. I got through it. . . it took over 500 deaths, but I did it!

• Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    So I got this when it was free in January and to be honest I didn't have particularly high expectations (I knew it was highly regarded but I'm just not typically big on this type of brutally hard precision platformer). I'm glad I tried it though because this is just fantastic; everything about the game is charming and oddly relaxing for me. I blasted through the main game relatively quickly, messed around in a few B sides, then gave up and collected achievements in Assist Mode.

Now I'm trying to do everything legitimately. I got all the strawberries with surprisingly little drama and I've made it up to 6B. It is amazing to me how manageable this game makes the ridiculous challenges feel - I'm not particularly good at it but with the instant respawns and warm, inviting atmosphere I don't really get frustrated with it.

That said, this happened to me yesterday on 4B. My wife was a lot more amused than I was.
    https://gfycat.com/accuratealldoe

• Options
    Blakout wrote: »
    So I got this when it was free in January and to be honest I didn't have particularly high expectations (I knew it was highly regarded but I'm just not typically big on this type of brutally hard precision platformer). I'm glad I tried it though because this is just fantastic; everything about the game is charming and oddly relaxing for me. I blasted through the main game relatively quickly, messed around in a few B sides, then gave up and collected achievements in Assist Mode.

Now I'm trying to do everything legitimately. I got all the strawberries with surprisingly little drama and I've made it up to 6B. It is amazing to me how manageable this game makes the ridiculous challenges feel - I'm not particularly good at it but with the instant respawns and warm, inviting atmosphere I don't really get frustrated with it.

That said, this happened to me yesterday on 4B. My wife was a lot more amused than I was.
    The thing to take from this game, or at least a thing to take from this game, is that it's not the game making these impossible seeming things possible. The game definitely helps, it does a good job teaching you and as you mentioned the tone and instant respawns make persevering easier, but ultimately you can take the attitude it encourages into any game and do the impossible there too.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Blakout wrote: »

Ahahahah I fucking knew what was coming there because I did the exact same thing.

I threw up my hands in celebration and then immediately regretted it

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    OK, finding these Crystal Hearts is gonna be something. I have no idea where the one in Chapter 2 is, and Chapter 3's is teased such that you think you can come back for it later after getting the blockage out of the way, but you can't. I only need one more to get Chapter 8 rolling. The only way I could solve the puzzle for Chapter 1's is by breaking down and watching a video of it. Any vague hints? It'd be better than nothing.

EDIT: Do you need four Crystal hearts? Or a mixture of Crystal and Red? Because if the former is the case, I'm in much worse shape than I thought.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    OK, finding these Crystal Hearts is gonna be something. I have no idea where the one in Chapter 2 is, and Chapter 3's is teased such that you think you can come back for it later after getting the blockage out of the way, but you can't. I only need one more to get Chapter 8 rolling. The only way I could solve the puzzle for Chapter 1's is by breaking down and watching a video of it. Any vague hints? It'd be better than nothing.

EDIT: Do you need four Crystal hearts? Or a mixture of Crystal and Red? Because if the former is the case, I'm in much worse shape than I thought.
    You can come back for #3's after getting the blockage out of the way.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Chapter 2's heart requires you to know a quirk about the dash that the game never tells you or otherwise requires -- it resets when you transition screens, even though you don't touch the ground.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Chapter 2's heart requires you to know a quirk about the dash that the game never tells you or otherwise requires -- it resets when you transition screens, even though you don't touch the ground.

I think it's required to get a strawberry in Chapter 3 early on?

• Options
    I literally had to look it up.

• Options
    Man, this game's soundtrack is so good. Cold take, I know, but just, man. Like, in In the Mirror, that slow build up where it still feels alien and scary, but just a bit more hopeful, and if you know about how certain characters have certain instruments associated with them the piano coming in at that point, not entirely clear, but steady, it's just so good. Just listening to the track feels like playing that section over again.

• Options
    I joy benius'd my way to Chapter 2's crystal heart, but I still can't figure out how to get to Chapter 3's. I've tried clearing areas in different orders, and I can't get back into any of them once they've been cleared. What's the trick?

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    cB557 wrote: »
    Man, this game's soundtrack is so good. Cold take, I know, but just, man. Like, in In the Mirror, that slow build up where it still feels alien and scary, but just a bit more hopeful, and if you know about how certain characters have certain instruments associated with them the piano coming in at that point, not entirely clear, but steady, it's just so good. Just listening to the track feels like playing that section over again.

I think Celeste is my favorite video game soundtrack of all time.

Edit: Shit, wait, I forgot about Sim City (2013). That might be my #1. But Celeste is either tied or a very close #2.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    I joy benius'd my way to Chapter 2's crystal heart, but I still can't figure out how to get to Chapter 3's. I've tried clearing areas in different orders, and I can't get back into any of them once they've been cleared. What's the trick?
    In the same room as the... whatever it is that you dash into to put the towels away, one of the water leaks has a hidden path that leads you back up into the towel section so that you can backtrack back to the room with the other hidden path that leads to the crystal heart.