As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    Is there an adblocking YouTube app for Android TV? I'm getting really sick of seeing the same goddamn ad for a local car dealership and the random ads inserted into videos.

Edit: I sideloaded Blockada and we'll see how that goes. It works great on my phone at least.

Edit2: Blockada is working great!

I'm going to try this out. I've been getting Trump ads on my YouTube app and no matter how many times I report it they keep showing up.

Edit: still got ads when I activated it. Oh well.

It does seem to be inconsistent. It has been blocking preroll ads but some in video ads still play every now and then. It does absolutely nothing in my phone but I rarely watch YouTube on it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I was looking for an updated thread title and Note 20 Ultra Expensive came to me and how has no one thought of that phrase yet I copyright it all proceeds go to me.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Is there an adblocking YouTube app for Android TV? I'm getting really sick of seeing the same goddamn ad for a local car dealership and the random ads inserted into videos.

Edit: I sideloaded Blockada and we'll see how that goes. It works great on my phone at least.

Edit2: Blockada is working great!

Just got Blockada based on this post. I don't mind ads in general, but they seem to be getting more intrusive and annoying all the time. There were a couple weeks where I would get youtube ads for an attorney general election in Texas (I live in NY). So, clearly there's work to be done with ad targeting.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I was looking for an updated thread title and Note 20 Ultra Expensive came to me and how has no one thought of that phrase yet I copyright it all proceeds go to me.

Add Mystic Bronze in there and you could work for Samsung PR.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    All adds should be blocked all the time, because even if you trust the site you're visiting, you can't trust the ad CDNs.

Microsoft has put the Surface Duo up for pre-order. It launches in the US only on September 10, with zero indication of coming to other markets.

Snapdragion 855
    128GB oor 256GB of storage
    6GB of RAM

I can't really figure this out yet, but I think the 11MP camera that is referenced is the selfie camera when the device is open, and I'm pretty sure that's the only camera on the device, so to use it to take pictures you have to flip it all the way around and use the selfie camera as the main shooter.

It is $1400.

That's......... I'm not sure how much I was expecting it to cost, but that seems like a lot.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    How much was that disastrous Samsung Galaxy Fold unfolding phone? That was around $2k when it launched, right? This seems like a much nicer device, based on just the physical hardware you hold in your hand (not talking about the specs, I don't have a good sense of what good mobile specs should be like).

I think both are more like concept devices, though. A bunch of reviewers will get them for free, a bunch of rich people will buy them because they're bored, a handful of power users will buy them because they somehow perfectly fit into their weird work rhythms (and will swear by them to anyone who'll listen), and very few "normal" users will ever buy them.

Delduwath wrote: »
    How much was that disastrous Samsung Galaxy Fold unfolding phone? That was around $2k when it launched, right? This seems like a much nicer device, based on just the physical hardware you hold in your hand (not talking about the specs, I don't have a good sense of what good mobile specs should be like).

I think both are more like concept devices, though. A bunch of reviewers will get them for free, a bunch of rich people will buy them because they're bored, a handful of power users will buy them because they somehow perfectly fit into their weird work rhythms (and will swear by them to anyone who'll listen), and very few "normal" users will ever buy them.

The fold was $2000USD, but it also had a much more expensive and complicated mechanism of a folding screen. The Surface Duo is two individual screens connected by a hinge.

While the Surface Duo is undoubtedly a prettier device, you can buy an LG V6 or LG Velvet right now and get a case that adds a second screen for less than $1000, with the advantage of being able to take the phone out of the dual screen case and use it as a "normal" phone when you don't need/want the second screen.

One thing about the price of the Duo is that the guy who runs the hardware division has been saying for months that "you're going to be surprised" with the price, and heavily hinted that it would be less expensive/competitive in pricing. It is if you compare it to phones with actual folding screens, but it is not competitive if you compare it with a comparable device like the V60 or Velvet.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I haven't really been following this corner of these scene. How have folding screens fared? I remember the Fold being extremely fragile in lots of ways and for lots of reasons, both the screen and the hinge. Have strides been made in either of those departments?

I haven't really been following this corner of these scene. How have folding screens fared? I remember the Fold being extremely fragile in lots of ways and for lots of reasons, both the screen and the hinge. Have strides been made in either of those departments?

Yes and no. The original Fold's screen is fragile yes, but for the few people who have owned it, so long as you don't actively stab at it with fingernails, it's holding up fairly well. You still have to be gentle, but it's not quite as terrible as people were expecting. The big issue with the fold was with the hinge, and needing to keep that dust/dirt free.

The second folding phone from Samsung, the Z Flip, actually has a glass layer on the folding screen. It's not nearly as thick as regular glass, and is more fragile, but you (probably) won't dent/mark it through normal use. The Z Fold 2 wll have that same kind of glass folding screen, as well as a much improved hinge that, while not waterproof, will probalby repel dirt/dust a lot better.

I personally wouldn't buy a Fold, Z Flip, or Z Fold 2 even if I had the money, because these are still very much first generation products. I personally wouldn't buy the Surface Duo or LG Velvet for the dual screen setup either, as those are also still first/second generation devices. But if someone held a gun to my head and said I had to buy one, I honestly think the LG Velvet is the most practical one, again just because you can ditch the second screen if you don't need it.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The main difference with the Surface Duo is that it utilizes Windows. This is a big deal if you intend to use it as a productivity device rather than just a cool way to watch Youtube or play mobile games while on the move. Whether or not it's worth the extra $$$ is entirely up to you, but it's not intended to compete strictly with Android phablets and the like.

I would seriously consider a Duo if I still had my previous job, where I was constantly traveling and had to do work while sitting in cabs, trains, etc. or in places where I can't carry and pull out a laptop/tablet to do work.

The main difference with the Surface Duo is that it utilizes Windows. This is a big deal if you intend to use it as a productivity device rather than just a cool way to watch Youtube or play mobile games while on the move. Whether or not it's worth the extra $$$ is entirely up to you, but it's not intended to compete strictly with Android phablets and the like.

I would seriously consider a Duo if I still had my previous job, where I was constantly traveling and had to do work while sitting in cabs, trains, etc. or in places where I can't carry and pull out a laptop/tablet to do work.

I mean, how does the Surface Duo integrate with Windows any different than any other Android device? Literally every app and service on the Duo you can run on any Android device, and their partnership with Samsung means a lot of the stuff that's built into the Duo is also built into the Note.... and amusingly the Note 20 Ultra Expensive is still cheaper.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I feel like you haven't experienced the world of corporate laptops, VPNs, and proprietary applications if you think that those things which natively require and use Windows are magically possible to do an any Android device.

I feel like you haven't experienced the world of corporate laptops, VPNs, and proprietary applications if you think that those things which natively require and use Windows are magically possible to do an any Android device.

Um..... The Surface Duo runs Android. You know that right?

(and for the record, I'm a currently unemployed Systems Administrator)

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I know at least some major companies have been moving a lot of that stuff over to O365 in some form or another. We've dropped a lot of the patchwork of shit we were using and have been moving toward Dynamics 365, PowerApps, SharePoint (ugh), and a bunch of 365 based proprietary apps.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Everything from Microsoft works on android. Works on iphone too.

So from my experience with the Fold and my GF has the Z Flip:

The screens are surprisingly durable. Saying that you will still want to take care with them. Samsung special Vip warranty screen repair service they give free for each foldable purchase eases the mind.
    The biggest issue with the original Fold was its weight. It's actually not much heavier than having a Galaxy Note 10 + device but because of the densely packed components etc, feels heavier in the hands than a 12.9 inch iPad Pro. Having 2x sets of components, 6x cameras, 2x batteries, reinforced body framework and that hinge mechanism.

The Z Flip. My gf loves this device. The clamshell design is neat. The glass on the screen is a lot more robust and you feel like you can be rougher with the device if you wish. The issue on the Z Flip I've noticed is the screen refresh rate is choppy at times, and the aspect ratio makes particular utility apps operate really odd. Youtube for example has like 90% of the screen for comments when ideally you would want the 'laptop mode' top half of the screen to cover the video and split the ratio 50/50. Otherwise its pretty solid.

From my colleagues testing out the Razr:

"The thing feels like a cheap homemade mod of a foldable phone in an old razr body."

The Mate X and XS:

"More practical in everyday than the fold, but also twice as fragile to use."

Now future devices are getting better with addressing some of the issues. The first fold proved how a foldable could become a monster productivity tool. and the clamshell foldables are proving to be very popular devices and head turning with audiences. The glass on the folding screens are getting better and with the Z Fold 2 are promising a high refresh rate on the main screen.

However, I think that all companies are accepting some massive tradeoffs to accomplish results with foldables. Remove water resistance, and in Samsungs case they have accepted that the main fold line will be using 2x phones worth of components that will have minimum uses due to its design. The book based design forces a second screen and 6 cameras onto the user, which takes up engineering space, battery life and adds additional weight.

The Surface Duo is a $1400 Android phone that doesn't have NFC. Microsoft says that they wanted to "focus on the fundamentals"

NFC seems pretty fundamental on a $1400 phone.

The Surface Duo is a $1400 Android phone that doesn't have NFC. Microsoft says that they wanted to "focus on the fundamentals"

$1399 for 128GB storage, Snapdragon 855, no IP rating and lack of NFC? Add an extra $100-150 for the slim pen and you can see why the LG V6 is just an all round better option and half the price.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hmm. What sort of solution does NFC provide? Is that the Google Pay stuff?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    NFC is for mobile payments, yeah.

Surface Duo 1.0 is clearly an experimental product. Don't buy one unless you have to develop apps for the inevitable (and much better) v2.

Ziggymon wrote: »

$1399 for 128GB storage, Snapdragon 855, no IP rating and lack of NFC? Add an extra $100-150 for the slim pen and you can see why the LG V6 is just an all round better option and half the price.

The storage thing doesn’t bother me terribly. The majority of people don’t need more than 128GB. Yes, the argument can be made that someone willing to spend $1400 on a phone is more likely to need more than 128GB of storage, but lets put it this way. Samsung cut the storage in the Note 20 compared to the Note 10. Note 10+ had 256 sand 512 options, while the Note 20 ultra starts at 128GB. Samsung wouldn’t have done that if they had metrics that show that a significant number of people used anything close to 128GB.

The Snapdragon 855, eh. I honestly don’t care about that. The 855 is still more than powerful enough for anything anyone is trying to do with a smartphone, and the 865 was only marginally faster while being a helluva lot more expensive because it requires the 5G modem. I actually wish more phones in 2020 would have come with the 855 as a “cheaper” flagship option since 5G is still super early.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

The fold was $2000USD, but it also had a much more expensive and complicated mechanism of a folding screen. The Surface Duo is two individual screens connected by a hinge.

While the Surface Duo is undoubtedly a prettier device, you can buy an LG V6 or LG Velvet right now and get a case that adds a second screen for less than $1000, with the advantage of being able to take the phone out of the dual screen case and use it as a "normal" phone when you don't need/want the second screen.

One thing about the price of the Duo is that the guy who runs the hardware division has been saying for months that "you're going to be surprised" with the price, and heavily hinted that it would be less expensive/competitive in pricing. It is if you compare it to phones with actual folding screens, but it is not competitive if you compare it with a comparable device like the V60 or Velvet.

The thing about the Samsung Galaxy Fold--and the Flip and effectively the whole of the same generation of true folding screen devices up to today as far as I know--isn't that they're "super fragile" so much as they make you realize basically any modern non-$1000-plus Android handset is insanely durable by comparison. "Just don't scratch the screen with your fingernail". Yeah, pretty much. You can actually scratch the Fold's screen with a chipped nail with...not much effort (it'll be a very fine scratch though). Or with stylus. This is basically rewinding the clock on the last decade of Gorilla-Glass-as-Standard phone, completely putting aside some of that quartz nonsense you see at the ultra high end. And there's basically nothing you can do about it, because you can't use screen protectors either, as fr as I know.

(And this is completely ignoring the issue with hinge sealing and durability, which varies across the folding devices themselves...unlike their screens, which are basically all the same as far as I can tell.)

The Surface Duo (ignoring the Surface Neo, because that's running the dual-screen version of Windows 10, basically making it a ultra-compact laptop with SIM card slot), is effectively an expansive dual-screen phone that's attempting to minimize the hinge problem. Which means, compared to a Fold at launch, it is both significantly cheaper and much more durable (even if the hinge sucked, it'd still have glass screens) and with more screen real-estate (which we'd generally consider an advantage, except it's reflected in the actual device size, and we've moved away from the whole "phablet" trend years ago). Considering basically every Surface device has run the gamut of build quality from "above average" to "literally the best in the marketplace", it'll probably have at least good build quality (which wasn't true about the original Samsung Fold and some contemporary devices).

This actually isn't that dissimilar from the LG's dual-screen options--it's a better comparison than the Samsung Flip and Fold. It actually will have a normal tough glass screen. It does have a hinge. They're cheaper, though the LG devices are substantially so--the LG G8X and V60 are basically iPhone prices with the second screen or less. But of course, the LG phones have a massive hinge gap to the point of practically being two screens, whereas the Surface Duo might be able to conceal it. The LG phones are more flexible, as noted, but the Surface Duo will be thinner relative to screen space, which is a major motivation for wanting to take a G8X out of the phone case.

It is absolutely a first generation "prototype to market" device. Not like the Fold was, because it's not contending with the physical reality of "any screen that bends only does so because it is hilariously soft compared to one that doesn't", but in the way the original Surface Pro was probably: a perfectly serviceable device that was actually a league ahead of the competition, but immediately caused a shift in design to make it better (leading to the SP3, which was basically the best device of its kind, period). Except I don't think a dual screen notebook-style phone is going to take off the way tablet ultrabooks did, because we've already seen LG offer the same.

I won't buy one because no headphone jack or Qi charging which, coincidentally, the LG phones have. Probably why I own a regular LG G8 ThinQ.

The storage thing doesn’t bother me terribly. The majority of people don’t need more than 128GB. Yes, the argument can be made that someone willing to spend $1400 on a phone is more likely to need more than 128GB of storage, but lets put it this way. Samsung cut the storage in the Note 20 compared to the Note 10. Note 10+ had 256 sand 512 options, while the Note 20 ultra starts at 128GB. Samsung wouldn’t have done that if they had metrics that show that a significant number of people used anything close to 128GB.

The Snapdragon 855, eh. I honestly don’t care about that. The 855 is still more than powerful enough for anything anyone is trying to do with a smartphone, and the 865 was only marginally faster while being a helluva lot more expensive because it requires the 5G modem. I actually wish more phones in 2020 would have come with the 855 as a “cheaper” flagship option since 5G is still super early.

Snapdragon 855 is a great chipset and will work ok. However it's now nearly 2 years old and for a 2020 flagship device shouldn't really have been considered used. If this was a sub $1000 device then 855 would have been perfect I agree but for the price they are asking it's not going to be a lifelong device in comparison too other 2020 models.

The same with the 128GB we know that its a sweet spot for consumers and the Note 20 Ultra only starts at 128GB. The Note 20 ultra has expandable memory however, and the surface duo is touted as being more computer like in nature. I feel at $1400 there should have been some form of expandable memory or 256GB starting option.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Snapdragon 855 is a great chipset and will work ok. However it's now nearly 2 years old and for a 2020 flagship device shouldn't really have been considered used. If this was a sub $1000 device then 855 would have been perfect I agree but for the price they are asking it's not going to be a lifelong device in comparison too other 2020 models.

The same with the 128GB we know that its a sweet spot for consumers and the Note 20 Ultra only starts at 128GB. The Note 20 ultra has expandable memory however, and the surface duo is touted as being more computer like in nature. I feel at $1400 there should have been some form of expandable memory or 256GB starting option.

One of the things Microsoft does to push Office in stores is get employees to talk about buying a computer with a smaller SSD and supplementing that with OneDrive. I expect a similar push here.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »

One of the things Microsoft does to push Office in stores is get employees to talk about buying a computer with a smaller SSD and supplementing that with OneDrive. I expect a similar push here.

The harsh reality is that Microsoft is looking at where costs need to be cut due to how the market has stabilised and companies are looking at where profit margins can be better than razor thin. It's why $1200-14000 is the new flagship price where in 2018 there was outrage when $1000 was norm for a flagship device. This is why we are getting such odd omissions in the Duo.

Increasing prices have little to do with value, more with the marking stabilising and prices rising accordingly to a stable setup that makes a decent profit. In order to do so you need a good brand and brand identity.

While Surface is a good brand to use. introducing a "productivity phone" to the line at such a price point with so many "industry standard" features removed with no compromises screams they want to sell the brand tax to increase profits like how Apple does.

It's why we get products like the surface studio getting nerfd.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    B&H has the OP7T 128GB for ~$400 and now I'm torn between looking into a new battery for my Pixel 3 or trying out a 7T. I know many have really enjoyed the recent offerings by OnePlus (and I'm a bit jealous of the battery life that OGHulk still can get out of the....6T?).

Mugsley on
    I think the Pixel 4a is finally about to start shipping. Today you can't go in and cancel the order.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Just got the shipping confirmation on mine, delivery estimated in 2-3 days

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    B&H has the OP7T 128GB for ~$400 and now I'm torn between looking into a new battery for my Pixel 3 or trying out a 7T. I know many have really enjoyed the recent offerings by OnePlus (and I'm a bit jealous of the battery life that OGHulk still can get out of the....6T?).

Yeah I also get a ton out of my 6T. I don't know when I'd replace this.

vzctburq29nd.jpg

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yeah for some reason, I had you and OGHulk confused in my head.

@Dhalphir does the 6T have a similar battery to the 7T? Also are you using any Launcher or just bone stock OOS?

Mugsley on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure what the 7T has, but they have the same form factor so I assume it'd be either as good or better.

I just run it stock OOS, I haven't upgraded to Android 10 either since the new A10 gestures stink and I don't want to lose the OOS ones.

The 7T for $400 USD is a really, really good deal. If you can live with a “good-great, not execllent” camera, I think that’s a better buy than the Pixel 4a even.

Are there any good dual later cases out there that preferably can go straight into an arm band? I've been rocking my Pixel sans case which makes it easy on to use in my armband on runs but with the 4A coming in I'm thinking I want to throw it in a case.

The 7T for $400 USD is a really, really good deal. If you can live with a “good-great, not execllent” camera, I think that’s a better buy than the Pixel 4a even.

Honestly, its the argument people have been having for a while, budget phone today or 12-18 month old flagship? The positives from both ends of the argument are really strong and the trade offs balance out too. It's an option people should research and consider.

Honestly, its the argument people have been having for a while, budget phone today or 12-18 month old flagship? The positives from both ends of the argument are really strong and the trade offs balance out too. It's an option people should research and consider.

For my two cents, the biggest differentiator at that market point is software/firmware support. Mid-tier phones that come out today will have a year (or even longer) of additional support. Even if that support is just basic security fixes, it's a significant consideration given how important phones are as communication/identification/authentication devices in the modern world. The longer window gives you much more flexibility as to when/whether you need to upgrade, especially if you go with a brand like Google or Samsung, which have proven track records of providing support beyond the normal 2-year period.

It's also worth noting that nobody should ever be getting a phone, even a budget one, from a provider that does not regularly provide security updates or has a reputation for not living up to their commitments. It is not only indicative of how your device was built in the first place, but how it will hold up over the long term.

Ugh I feel like an old man. My Pixel 2 had 3 buttons at the very bottom of the screen, one for back, home, and apps that were open. How do I get that back on the Pixel 4a? I don't know how to get to the opened apps so I can close them down. I installed Nova Launcher since that is what I was using before and really like it.

urahonky wrote: »
    Ugh I feel like an old man. My Pixel 2 had 3 buttons at the very bottom of the screen, one for back, home, and apps that were open. How do I get that back on the Pixel 4a? I don't know how to get to the opened apps so I can close them down. I installed Nova Launcher since that is what I was using before and really like it.

Swipe up from the bottom, hold it for a second and you'll get the list.

This screen is incredible.

Oh no, none of my tabs swapped over