As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Fasting is like being drunk; bad decisions are made. Note 9 pre-ordered :lol:

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Fasting is like being drunk; bad decisions are made. Note 9 pre-ordered :lol:

well... that was fast 8-)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    We need a boo button :lol:

For real though, getting the phone for the same monthly cost I am paying now for my 2yr is pixel is a steal! Sure they want 300 quid upfront but they're giving me 350 back for the pixel so who am I to complain? Money in the bank!

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    We need a boo button :lol:

For real though, getting the phone for the same monthly cost I am paying now for my 2yr is pixel is a steal! Sure they want 300 quid upfront but they're giving me 350 back for the pixel so who am I to complain? Money in the bank!

And the Note 9 honestly feels like the type of phone you'll be able to use for 3 years no problem, assuming the battery holds out. I know the phone is stupid expensive but it's probably the most futureproof smartphone we've seen in a long while.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Guys its here! I'm still setting it up but holy cow it already feels great :D

• Options
    Been a few days now since the phone arrived and I'm getting familiar with it. One big thing I didn't think I would like was the S pen. Man, was I wrong! Writing feels far more comfortable and quicker, and the drawing stuff is unbelievably cool. Any doubts about wether this could be worth the price are completly gone. Hell of a phone.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hmm. Something changed between yesterday and today to make my phone stop offering me the current weather next to the day and time on my home screen. I can still get to the weather with the assistant, but it was nice having it right there.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Hmm. Something changed between yesterday and today to make my phone stop offering me the current weather next to the day and time on my home screen. I can still get to the weather with the assistant, but it was nice having it right there.

I ran into this a lot before 9.0, it only seemed to happen on my pixel 2 and neither of my co-workers. It has something to do where the assisstant only tries to grab it on certain wifi sources and wont pull it over cellular. I could temporarily fix it sometimes by completely uninstalling the google app's updates, but it was more trouble than its worth.

you could try toggling on and off the weather options in the app and in the feed, that also occasionally 'fixed' it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Been a few days now since the phone arrived and I'm getting familiar with it. One big thing I didn't think I would like was the S pen. Man, was I wrong! Writing feels far more comfortable and quicker, and the drawing stuff is unbelievably cool. Any doubts about wether this could be worth the price are completly gone. Hell of a phone.

I held a note 9 in my hand yesterday. Man that thing is big. I have a GS8+ that actually isn't that much smaller than the Note 9, but for some reason the ergonomics of the note 9 make it just feel like an absolute brick beside it. But man, it really does feel like a tiny supercomputer in your hand, and I kinda want one.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I think I want one, but I don't want to downgrade android versions. I also still really like my pixel and it's $900 I don't need to spend.

• Options
    But it's so good, do gooooood! I got the LED cover for it now and oh my god this thing is amazing. I went shopping with my sister and her kids in town today and I kept whispering to my neice to call my phone just so I could show off the fancy cover screen :lol:

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I just got an update to the Android messaging app, and I've developed a sudden desire to replace it with something else. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I just got an update to the Android messaging app, and I've developed a sudden desire to replace it with something else. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Textra

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I had to factory reset my phone a few months ago and it turns out I have 40k text messages on my phone. I guess I have been moving then from phone to phone for a while now. The standard Samsung text app is terrible either because of that fact or maybe just in general. I am not really happy with the most recent update to Android messages but it still performs the task I want pretty well. What advantages do other texting apps have?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    What's the preferred mail app for multiple Gmail accounts? I kind of hate the default one.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

Textra

I used to use Textra but now use pulse. Pulse let's me schedule messages and access texts from PC. It just overall has a lot of nice features.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Textra

I used to use Textra but now use pulse. Pulse let's me schedule messages
    You can also do that with Textra. That feature has been around since *checks* November 2014.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Textra

I used to use Textra but now use pulse. Pulse let's me schedule messages and access texts from PC. It just overall has a lot of nice features.

This is probably a pretty niche question, but does it let you sync texts between phones?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I also have been using Pulse instead of Textra. I prefer the UI/UX slightly more.

@godmode I'm actually using "Email" (yes, that's the name of the app). I dropped CloudMagic after they updated their name, then went to a subscription model.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The Note 9 is fucking slick.

I really like it and the S Pen feels fantastic.

Please note this is my first hop into the Note line, I've been a Galaxy user forever. I just hopped on board after my Galaxy S7 Edge started acting fucky.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Please note this is my first hop into the Note line, I've been a Galaxy user forever. I just hopped on board after my Galaxy S7 Edge started acting fucky.

Omg finally someone else to squeeee along edith over this! I'm still getting surprised a week after using it. Battery is crazy good. Like drops 25% over 8 hrs of podcast listening at work. A ruddy miracle!

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I've gone from using my work iPhone 6s, where I essentially had to charge it 3 or 4 times a day, to some moderately heavy Note 9 use yesterday where I could have probably have not bothered charging it over night. Crazy crazy battery on this thing!

Will say though, getting back into the swing of Android is a bit tough, and Bixby can go die in a fire. Remapped that damn button right away.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Omg finally someone else to squeeee along edith over this! I'm still getting surprised a week after using it. Battery is crazy good. Like drops 25% over 8 hrs of podcast listening at work. A ruddy miracle!

Something seems to have quietly happened with battery life in the last couple of years, I think; the battery on my V30 lasts a ridiculously long time. If I use it lightly and stay at home, I can get three days out of it, even with the AOD on. Two days is a piece of cake most of the time. It's bonkers. And it's so quick to charge up again too.

I assume it's probably a combination of newer versions of Android (I'm on 8.0) being better at managing battery life, and better efficiency in the hardware - I know the V30's screen at least is supposed to be pretty frugal on power usage. The actual battery capacity hasn't made a huge jump, 3300mAh compared to my old G4's 3000mAh, and that could sometimes struggle to make it a day.

Glad you're digging the Note 9, it does look like a hell of a bit of kit :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Something seems to have quietly happened with battery life in the last couple of years, I think; the battery on my V30 lasts a ridiculously long time. If I use it lightly and stay at home, I can get three days out of it, even with the AOD on. Two days is a piece of cake most of the time. It's bonkers. And it's so quick to charge up again too.

I assume it's probably a combination of newer versions of Android (I'm on 8.0) being better at managing battery life, and better efficiency in the hardware - I know the V30's screen at least is supposed to be pretty frugal on power usage. The actual battery capacity hasn't made a huge jump, 3300mAh compared to my old G4's 3000mAh, and that could sometimes struggle to make it a day.

Glad you're digging the Note 9, it does look like a hell of a bit of kit :)

I think that companies are getting the message that thinnenlite is good up to a point, but people will deal with a bit of heft if it gives them decent battery life.

The Note 9 is pretty fantastic as a bit of gear. I'm still only on day 2 (hell, I don't even have my proper case, which should be here tomorrow), but it feels solid as a piece of metal and the performance is top notch. That extra RAM really helps with making things just fly.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Textra

I used to use Textra but now use pulse. Pulse let's me schedule messages
    You can also do that with Textra. That feature has been around since *checks* November 2014.

I don't remember seeing it but it's been a while since I've used it. The web texting thing is also nice. And I like pinning conversations and stuff. It's a handy app.
    emp123 wrote: »

Textra

This is probably a pretty niche question, but does it let you sync texts between phones?

No idea. Maybe? I imagine it's putting it up on a server somewhere for the web texting.

• Options
    For battery life, Google started paying attention to it a lot in Android 6. But Android 8 brought huge changes to it that really were game changers.

Basically until Android 6 apps had unrestricted access to do whatever they wanted at all times. That was awful for battery life because it meant that in many cases the phone would never really go into a sleep/low power state. Since 6, and culminating with the changes in 8, apps are much more restricted on when/how often they can access resources in the background while on battery. In many ways Android it a lot more iOS like in this regard now, and that's been a good thing.

• Options
    Now if Android can just figure out a way to get 3d touch on phones without a lawsuit...

• Options
    Now if Android can just figure out a way to get 3d touch on phones without a lawsuit...

considering the rumour is that Apple is deprecating and working on killing 3D touch.... I don't think it's quite as much as thing as you think.

It was a great idea that basically never got used for anything. My parents both have iPhones with 3D touch and don't even know what it is.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

considering the rumour is that Apple is deprecating and working on killing 3D touch.... I don't think it's quite as much as thing as you think.

It was a great idea that basically never got used for anything. My parents both have iPhones with 3D touch and don't even know what it is.

Fair.

It seemed like a cool feature, though. I still want haptic feedback built into screens so we can feel different textures, like the edge of software keyboard buttons.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    What even is 3d touch? Is it like pressure sensitivity in the screen or something?

• Options
    What even is 3d touch? Is it like pressure sensitivity in the screen or something?

yea, apple debuted it on the iPhone 6S. It is exactly that, pressure sensitivity in the screen. So you could tap and hold an icon, or press it harder to get a different action. Neat idea in theory, but plenty of problems with it. It was really difficult on discovery. It was never really obvious that it existed, and because of the spotty app support you just never knew what worked with 3D touch and what didn't.

Compound that with the fact that 3D touch support never came to iPad, it just never caught on, and Apple has barely talked about it for the last year and a half. The iPhone SE doesn't have it, and it's believed the new cheaper iPhone model this year won't have it either.

• Options
    It's the kind of thing that sounds good in theory, but doesn't hold up in real UX.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    It's the kind of thing that sounds good in theory, but doesn't hold up in real UX.

Especially on tablets. I'm actually 100% willing to bet that its demise is a direct result of that. If I had to guess I'd say that Apple tried really hard, but just couldn't make it happen on iPad because how we hold those types of devices it not at all condusive to the idea of pressing hard on a screen.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I've heard a lot of talk about the Note 9 being unsuitable for 1 handed operation. I haven't found it difficult, the the exception of typing. Browsing is just fine.

If you're on the fence and have an older device and wondering if it's worth upgrading I can say yes. I'm kind of big on refinement iterations as opposed to innovation iterations because things are usually a lot more solid and fleshed out.

Great device just be mindful of the price. The BxActions app that lets your reassign the Bixby button is quite nice, I've got it set to Flashlight with a normal press.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I think my Pixel 2 died today. I tuned it on to set my lunch timer and the screen wouldn't work. Then it said UI error and gave me some options on what to do, which was useless since the touch screen wouldn't work, and now it just won't turn on. Nice piece of work Goggle. >=(

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I've heard a lot of talk about the Note 9 being unsuitable for 1 handed operation. I haven't found it difficult, the the exception of typing. Browsing is just fine.

Gotta have bigger hands. With GBoard I can hold my phone and type one handed thanks to the swipe actions.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I don't know if it still does, but swiftkey used to have a condensed-to-one-side layout for one-handed operation of larger phones.

• Options
    I don't know if it still does, but swiftkey used to have a condensed-to-one-side layout for one-handed operation of larger phones.

I can't speak to swiftkey but gboard also actually has that exact feature.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Its still an option with SwiftKey, as is the swipe style texting method.

• Options
    Note 9 has that built in. I used it a little bit I find the regular keyboard fine tbh.