As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: LG Wings right out of the smartphone business

1356772

Posts

  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Haven't been able to get myself to a phone store, but I did find a website that has lifesize photos and size comparisons of phones (you just have to calibrate with a credit card or a phone pressed against your monitor)

    I've made cardboard templates to have a physical thing the same size as the phones I was considering. Made it very easy to determine if one was too big for my pockets too.

    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Considering the sizes of modern phones (and the thick case and popsocket I will inevitably be putting on my phone), and the rotundity of my body and thus tightness of my jeans, I feel like I haven't put my phone in my pants pocket in a while. Usually it's in a jacket pocket, or hoodie pocket, or on a table.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Pretty sure this has been talked about, but is it possible to hide or change the color of the back/home/app drawer button? I think it used to always be black which was fine since I didn't notice it but it's really noticeable when it's white.

    Its so weird. White when I'm browsing the forums with a blue background, black when my keyboard is up (keyboard is white).

    I'm on a 5x if it matters. I assume is a default Android thing since I don't have this issue on my Note (because I've hidden the on screen buttons).

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Pretty sure this has been talked about, but is it possible to hide or change the color of the back/home/app drawer button? I think it used to always be black which was fine since I didn't notice it but it's really noticeable when it's white.

    Its so weird. White when I'm browsing the forums with a blue background, black when my keyboard is up (keyboard is white).

    I'm on a 5x if it matters. I assume is a default Android thing since I don't have this issue on my Note (because I've hidden the on screen buttons).
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm getting really frustrated with this "feature" and I can't figure out if it's Android itself or Nova Launcher.

    My notification shade and uh...button bar? (where the home and back buttons are) now change color between white and black depending on my wallpaper and app I have open.

    I can't seem to find the option to make them dark all the time.

    Related: Chrome seems to now turn that bar white all the time and it's jarring.

    That's Android Oreo.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Oh god I didn't notice the top bar why the fuck is the bottom bar white if the top bar is black

  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So these new Samsung phones with the screens that taper off to the left and right edges, how much of an issue is that for people with fat hands?

    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    So these new Samsung phones with the screens that taper off to the left and right edges, how much of an issue is that for people with fat hands?

    I have pretty gargantuan hands, and I've never had a problem with it. The S8, at least, has excellent rejection for meaty palms on the edges. I actually have fewer issues with that than I did with my old Nexus 6P.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I have sizable hands and I find the Note 8 is a bit slippery for my taste. I wish it was wider like previous Notes as I think that would fit my hands better, but the market is going with the taller aspect ratio.

    I've had the phone for about 6 months and I'd buy it again...I'd just get a case.

  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Technical Debt Janitor he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Huh, looks like google updated hangouts for the worse. if you block someone that's being abusive in DMs, you can't send a message to any mutual group hangouts (e: they might also be a part of) while they're blocked.

    This is pretty problematic because it punishes the person that isn't doing anything wrong by not allowing them to participate in mutual group hangouts (sometimes you just have to tolerate a goose-head). All for wanting to prevent an abusive/toxic person from contacting them directly.

    thatassemblyguy on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That's pretty shitty.

    Though, I won't lie.. If someone in your group is a dick, the whole group should probably block them.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    thatassemblyguyDisruptedCapitalist
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Oh god I didn't notice the top bar why the fuck is the bottom bar white if the top bar is black

    You may be able to mitigate it a bit with a launcher, but for apps like Chrome, the app takes over the bottom bar color. It sucks.

  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So....how important would extra RAM in a phone be?

    I went to the phone store to get a better idea of phone sizes in my hand, and while the way they had the phones set in the display cases meant I couldn't really get a good feel for them (they were attached to tables, so I could put my hand over the front of the phone but not the back). I was testing out the Galaxy S9 and the S8 + (which I'm told is the same size as the S9+ which the store did not have out)

    The S9+ seems kinda big. It's not too wide, which is good, but it's very tall. I'm not used to having such a tall phone. I don't know if it would end up being an issue for me. From what I'm reading online, the main differences between the two sizes are that the bigger one has an extra camera for stuff and has more RAM.

    This is the same issue I had when I bought a PS4 Pro. The new thing is the new thing with more power, so why get the old and weaker thing? But I'm worried the newer and bigger thing is too big. And that's before I put the thing into a thick ass case to protect it.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    honestly, 6GB of ram on a phone is overkill today. 4GB of ram is quite adequate.

    That's not to say that in 2 years it will be the case, but right now, it doesn't matter all that much.

    One other thing worth mentioning about the differences between the two phones is that the GS9+ has a 3500mah battery, the GS9 is at 3000. Now the bigger screen does necessitate a bigger battery, but for the GS8 generation the GS8+'s real world battery life was noticeably better thatn the GS8, even when taking the screen size difference into effect.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    somewaht realted: the oreo updates are hitting fast right now. the LG V30 on verizon in the US just got it, the GS8 Oreo rollout on Verizon has also begun.

    Canadians: the GS8 Oreo rollout begins next monday, the Note 8 oreo rollout begins about 10 days later.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Battery life is a concern, certainly. My phone now dies by the time I get to work if not earlier.

    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hey, quick question. If I'm buying an unlocked phone is there any difference between getting it straight from Samsung vs getting it from Best Buy?

  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    for the 7 people in the world who have the Xperia XA1, that phone is now getting oreo as well.

    Looks like the floodgates are opening for the Oreo updates.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Still no oreo update for me (USA S8+ on AT&T). Gonna just bitch about it until it gets here.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    After two years of the S7, I finally have the S9!

    Is this Bixby program worth a shit? I'm intrigued by the translator because I sometimes travel to other countries.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Bixby is garbage. I won't tell you not to at least try it, but I outright disabled it within a couple weeks of launch.

    And if you're looking for translators, google translate is way better.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    minor incidentfurlionShadowfireCantidoa5ehren
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    On my way to the store now. Probably gonna go with the Galaxy S9 regular just cause the big one seems so damned big, even without the thick ass case I'm going to be putting on this thing

    edit: Well, the store thought the trade in credit promo was over, so I just bought my phone online and got the trade in credit that way. Also went with the bigger one after all, because it ended up not being as big as I thought.

    I am excite.

    cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Bixby is garbage. I won't tell you not to at least try it, but I outright disabled it within a couple weeks of launch.

    And if you're looking for translators, google translate is way better.

    It drives me crazy that I can't disable the Bixby button on my work S8. I hit the damn thing all the time.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Bixby is garbage. I won't tell you not to at least try it, but I outright disabled it within a couple weeks of launch.

    And if you're looking for translators, google translate is way better.

    It drives me crazy that I can't disable the Bixby button on my work S8. I hit the damn thing all the time.

    You can though. You could not at first but now you can.

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I lost my Galaxy Tab S3 on the airplane on my way to a vacation. :(

    I reported it to American Airlines and search for it with Google Device Finder, but I don't have much hope. I'm using my tax refund to replace it, because it made a damn fine laptop replacement.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Bixby is garbage. I won't tell you not to at least try it, but I outright disabled it within a couple weeks of launch.

    And if you're looking for translators, google translate is way better.

    It drives me crazy that I can't disable the Bixby button on my work S8. I hit the damn thing all the time.

    You can though. You could not at first but now you can.

    I know you're able to in general. I disabled it on my Note 8. But my work phone has a bunch of settings locked down. Bixby is one of them for some reason. D:

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    After a 4 year love affair, I've retired my HTC One and caved in to the great Galaxy machine and am working personalizing my S9+.

    Early impressions are the camera is amazing in low light environments and I want to have sex with this screen while watching shit on Netflix and Prime. Speakers aren't as good by themselves as my dearly departed Boomsound equipped all metal baby, but it's got a full 3.5 jack so I can use my preferred set of cans and enjoy the hell out of my lossless music.

    Bixby is most likely getting euthanized soon, it's just not good.

    Thus far I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10, would happily + again.

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Hey, quick question. If I'm buying an unlocked phone is there any difference between getting it straight from Samsung vs getting it from Best Buy?

    BB may give you some promo items such as gift cards. Otherwise, they should be identical.

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hey, quick question. If I'm buying an unlocked phone is there any difference between getting it straight from Samsung vs getting it from Best Buy?

    BB may give you some promo items such as gift cards. Otherwise, they should be identical.

    Usually unlocked phones have no bonuses attached. Those are practically paid for by the cell providers.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So my GS8+ is now filled will delicious Oreos.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    ok legit the most important update in Oreo for the S8 is that it changed out the terrible samsung emoji set to a more standard one. That is actually way more important than it sounds.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    LD50minor incidentJazz
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    ok legit the most important update in Oreo for the S8 is that it changed out the terrible samsung emoji set to a more standard one. That is actually way more important than it sounds.

    It also changed the terrible google one for a not terrible google one.

  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    ok legit the most important update in Oreo for the S8 is that it changed out the terrible samsung emoji set to a more standard one. That is actually way more important than it sounds.

    It also changed the terrible google one for a not terrible google one.

    No. the blobmoji were the best and we do not speak ill of them. they are missed.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Delduwathautono-wally, erotibot300NaphtaliSirToastyAyulina5ehrenAiouajjae2123Armoroc
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    ok legit the most important update in Oreo for the S8 is that it changed out the terrible samsung emoji set to a more standard one. That is actually way more important than it sounds.

    It also changed the terrible google one for a not terrible google one.

    No. the blobmoji were the best and we do not speak ill of them. they are missed.
    Yes, this is correct.

    jjae2123Armoroc
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    ok legit the most important update in Oreo for the S8 is that it changed out the terrible samsung emoji set to a more standard one. That is actually way more important than it sounds.

    It also changed the terrible google one for a not terrible google one.

    No. the blobmoji were the best and we do not speak ill of them. they are missed.
    Yes, this is correct.

    they're basically kirby

    so they're naturally good

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    jjae2123
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I'm very get off my lawn when it comes to Samsung and Google's Pay methods. Are they secure (yet)?

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    My impression is that they're more secure than actual credit cards, generally.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
    Shadowfirejjae2123a5ehren
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm a little disappointed now when I go somewhere that doesn't do touch payments. It's really great.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    MichaelLCjjae2123
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I'm a little disappointed now when I go somewhere that doesn't do touch payments. It's really great.

    Samsung Pay is literal witchcraft. Freaking out cashiers never gets old.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    What's different with Samsung Pay?

    Jokerman wrote: »
    If sigs were still a thing this would be mine.
  • minor incidentminor incident Helen Keller to the bullshit Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    What's different with Samsung Pay?

    It works on any credit card reader, because it uses a magnetic field generator to mimic the magnetic stripe of the credit card. So it's not just limited to card readers that support ____Pay, or even ones that have touchless readers.

    Steam: minor incident || PSN: inter-punct
    You may not find all that you're after. In the end I hope it doesn't matter.
    a5ehren
Sign In or Register to comment.