As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ok, that had to be one of the easiest ways to set up a new phone that I've ever seen. Plug in the two devices and it asks if you want to import everything! Awesome, lol.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I don't think samsung implimented it in their earlier android builds.

Honestly, on 4.4.4 your options are going to be super limited. 4.4 is circa 2013, lots of the modern controls Google (and even samsung) have put in over the years just won't be in 4.4.

Well balls. Ah well. Was worth a shot. Thanks.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    OTG cable acquired, and thankfully it's working perfectly. Exported my notes in LG's note app to PDFs, and shifting local copies of photos to the SD card. I made the mistake of taking the phone outside at one point, and the subsequent increase in brightness (since the auto brightness was on) caused a massive and apparently permanent burn-in on the screen. It's like the screen is being really overdriven somehow. So it's harder to see what I'm doing on it now, but I can just about make it out. It's a really weird issue, though. It looks like the screen is getting progressively dimmer; it'll probably die completely before too long. Maybe within the next hour or two, looking at it. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

I've deleted my debit card from Google Pay, and now I'm just going to get everything I want/need off the internal storage and onto the SD card (thank every deity for SD card slots, seriously, I'd be boned if it didn't have one). I've held off getting my SIM out and putting it in the Cubot due to a fear that once the G4 is off there's no guarantee it'll come on again in any kind of functional manner. The Cubot took four hours to update all its apps last night - a speed demon it is not - but at least it works. So then it's SIM into that and then think about picking up a new "proper" phone, and I'll need to go to my network and get them to give me a new SIM because everything these days uses a nano SIM and mine is a micro SIM... it's all just a big ballache, really, isn't it?

Jazz on
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    OTG cable acquired, and thankfully it's working perfectly. Exported my notes in LG's note app to PDFs, and shifting local copies of photos to the SD card. I made the mistake of taking the phone outside at one point, and the subsequent increase in brightness (since the auto brightness was on) caused a massive and apparently permanent burn-in on the screen. It's like the screen is being really overdriven somehow. So it's harder to see what I'm doing on it now, but I can just about make it out. It's a really weird issue, though. It looks like the screen is getting progressively dimmer; it'll probably die completely before too long. Maybe within the next hour or two, looking at it. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

I've deleted my debit card from Google Pay, and now I'm just going to get everything I want/need off the internal storage and onto the SD card (thank every deity for SD card slots, seriously, I'd be boned if it didn't have one). I've held off getting my SIM out and putting it in the Cubot due to a fear that once the G4 is off there's no guarantee it'll come on again in any kind of functional manner. The Cubot took four hours to update all its apps last night - a speed demon it is not - but at least it works. So then it's SIM into that and then think about picking up a new "proper" phone, and I'll need to go to my network and get them to give me a new SIM because everything these days uses a nano SIM and mine is a micro SIM... it's all just a big ballache, really, isn't it?

You can just trim your micro SIM with an xacto knife or something. The nano sim is barely any bigger than the contacts at this point so that serves as a handy guide

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    nano sims are actually slightly thinner than mirco sims. Some phones can handle a cut down micro, but some can't. Really depends on the design of the SIM tray on the nano device.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited June 2018
    By the time I was done getting everything off the G4, I'd had to crank the brightness to 100% just to see what I was doing, everything was burning in in seconds, and the screen was starting to invert its own colors. So strange.

RIP, old buddy. Dammit, I loved that phone. Just right for me.

Jazz on
    New phone get; went for the V30 I've been eyeing up for ages, in Moroccan blue. I haven't dug into everything on it yet but so far it's all good. I might have to break the habit of a lifetime and get a case, though; after being used to the grippiness of the G4's trademark leather back, going to a glass phone with curved edges feels a tad slippery.

Getting the new SIM was painless too, I had to wait about five minutes for someone to be available to help me, and then I was done in another couple of minutes with the old one deactivated and the new one in my pocket ready to go. Can't complain at all.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Yea i am worried my 3T is heading off. My usb plug is starting to be a pain to plug the cable in. Takes me like 5-10 tries before it recognizes its plugged in and it isn't always enough for the dash

camo_sig.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Jazz wrote: »
    New phone get; went for the V30 I've been eyeing up for ages, in Moroccan blue. I haven't dug into everything on it yet but so far it's all good. I might have to break the habit of a lifetime and get a case, though; after being used to the grippiness of the G4's trademark leather back, going to a glass phone with curved edges feels a tad slippery.

Getting the new SIM was painless too, I had to wait about five minutes for someone to be available to help me, and then I was done in another couple of minutes with the old one deactivated and the new one in my pocket ready to go. Can't complain at all.

That is one sharp looking phone.

If you want to keep the bulk down, I have an Incipio case where I'm just using the first layer; so soft rubber over the whole thing, with some harder plastic on the top and bottom. Edit: for my Droid, not sure if they have same thing for the V30.

Edit 2: something like this, where I removed the red part: https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/incipio-dualpro-case-for-stylo-2-v/#overview

MichaelLC on
    I'll check that out, thanks! Thanks for the props, too :)

mts wrote: »
    Yea i am worried my 3T is heading off. My usb plug is starting to be a pain to plug the cable in. Takes me like 5-10 tries before it recognizes its plugged in and it isn't always enough for the dash

so apparently my pockets are just dusty. went to town with a sewing pin, and cleaned out a shocking amount of stuff. nice and secure port once again

camo_sig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I had this problem with my Nexus 6P a while back, and was shocked at how much dust and lint I managed to extract from the socket. I've been doing regular socket cleanings on all my phones since. I'd much rather just prevent it from happening entirely, but I'm not exactly sure how to. I don't carry anything in the same pocket as my phone, but I guess the physical world is just full of the detritus of life that eventually finds its way into my phone.

you can actually buy plastic plugs that go into your USB-C slot (and your headphone jack) that allegedly keep dust out. I've never bought any because I know I'll lose it in approximately 10 minutes.

First Amazon Result: https://www.amazon.com/PortPlugs-Aluminum-Premium-Headphone-Cleaning/dp/B075NQT2G7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529960138&sr=8-1&keywords=usb-c+plug&dpID=51JLqQvSDYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Again, I have no idea if/how well they work.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    you can actually buy plastic plugs that go into your USB-C slot (and your headphone jack) that allegedly keep dust out. I've never bought any because I know I'll lose it in approximately 10 minutes.

First Amazon Result: https://www.amazon.com/PortPlugs-Aluminum-Premium-Headphone-Cleaning/dp/B075NQT2G7/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529960138&sr=8-1&keywords=usb-c+plug&dpID=51JLqQvSDYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Again, I have no idea if/how well they work.

They work great, but yeah, no human being alive has ever kept track of one for more than like 2 days, max.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    My main issue is: I am the laziest person in the world, and unplugging/plugging those once a day sounds like something I will do a few times, and then go "I dunno if this is worth it".

It does make me wonder about those magnetic cables, the ones where the USB-C-shaped plug goes into the phone, a little magnetic nub sticks out of that, and then the charging cable magnetically attaches to that nub. Seems like it would protect the socket and make charging marginally easier? Maybe? I suppose I should look at some reviews for those things.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Most of the time, the magnets in those cables are hot garbage; or only work if the cable is connected straight (i.e. if the cable bends near the connector, it comes disconnected

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    My main issue is: I am the laziest person in the world, and unplugging/plugging those once a day sounds like something I will do a few times, and then go "I dunno if this is worth it".

It does make me wonder about those magnetic cables, the ones where the USB-C-shaped plug goes into the phone, a little magnetic nub sticks out of that, and then the charging cable magnetically attaches to that nub. Seems like it would protect the socket and make charging marginally easier? Maybe? I suppose I should look at some reviews for those things.

I'd say those port blocks are more for people who are doing wireless charging.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    having some weird chromecast issues

Last night casting was working perfect. This morning the chromecast and my google home are no longer able to cast to. They have power, I can see them in google home. According to my router they are online with excellent signals.

This sometimes happens where the cast dissappears, but toggling my wifi on and off brings the option back. Not so today.

I've tried resetting the wifi router, plugged. and unplugged basically everything, but nothing.

I am wondering if it is connected but no network traffic since when I tried to do the hey google, it gave me an error.

camo_sig.png
    Looks like there's a Home/Chromecast outage. so it isn't just you.

Oh that would be nice. I mean not nice, but explains much

camo_sig.png
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Looks like there's a Home/Chromecast outage. so it isn't just you.

Thanks for telling me. I noticed my Home want working this morning as I was rushing the kids out. Glad I didn't spend much time on it

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    I'm back online at least with the chromecast

camo_sig.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    My wife noticed our Chromecast wasn't working this morning and did a full reset of it. Worked time afterwards.

SirToasty on
    edited June 2018
    After a few days with the V30, I am really digging it. Common criticisms I've seen of it are that its mono speaker and selfie camera aren't great, and both are true (they're perfectly reasonable, not bad as such but they don't compare to the best); but literally everything else is awesome. I'm not sure what was up with the reviews that had screen problems; maybe that was an earlier hardware batch issue because my screen is flawless.

The (in?)famous Quad DAC is no joke; it's like HDR in audio form when you switch it on, even on modest headphones. I need to try it on high-impedance ones, apparently it's stunning on them. I kind of love that LG didn't just keep the headphone socket - obviously they aren't the only ones, dwindling as the number is - but that they actually doubled down on it, hard. It's pretty great. The included B&O earbuds are pretty good, too; I've been able to retire my much loved old Altec Lansing ones (that I absolutely swore by) to the spares drawer.

There's a lot of neat little extra touches on the phone as befits the "Skunkworks" heritage of the V series; the extra LG apps (which I can't call bloat, they're all sane and humane additions) are still very solid and synced perfectly with my G4's cloud backups; and all the basics, bar the two mentioned earlier, are excellent or better. I know it's getting a tad long in the tooth now (over six months old! Geriatric by phone standards!), but it's an awesome phone I could happily recommend to anybody. Well, unless a world-beating selfie cam is firmly at the top of their shopping list.

Jazz on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Pondering phone upgrade. My current phone is still doing just fine for what I use it for, but it's a 5X and thus a bootloop waiting to happen. Figured I'd get in front of that. My primary usage is providing music for my car, followed by such sundry things as being able to contact people if I have need to. I am not one of those lives on their phone people.

I am on Fi, which limits my options for officially supported phones. Part of me wants to go max shinies because max shinies, the other part is all 'you don't use the thing enough to need all that, just get something basic'. Would prefer not getting much bigger than my current phone.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Man there are some leaks for the new Pixel 3 and I might go to that from my 2XL. If the Pixel 2 had been like that I wouldn't have gone to the 2XL but at that point the 2XL wasn't that much bigger for a lot more screen due to the reduced bezels. If I can get a less phablety form factor without losing much screen I'll be all over it.

Let's hope the screen is 1440p.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Pondering phone upgrade. My current phone is still doing just fine for what I use it for, but it's a 5X and thus a bootloop waiting to happen. Figured I'd get in front of that. My primary usage is providing music for my car, followed by such sundry things as being able to contact people if I have need to. I am not one of those lives on their phone people.

I am on Fi, which limits my options for officially supported phones. Part of me wants to go max shinies because max shinies, the other part is all 'you don't use the thing enough to need all that, just get something basic'. Would prefer not getting much bigger than my current phone.

do you have bluetooth in the car or not? there's probably usb-c headphone/charging splitter dongles out there in the worst case.

either way, pixel 2 is still pretty nice.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Native bluetooth no, but I've got an aux port and a $10 bluetooth adapter.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Question

We recieved a tablet that was setup for a a certain thing. I. E. You turn it on and it automatically goes into the program with no way to get to the traditional home screen. I think it's probably some sort of launcher but unsure. I would like to basically get it to be a normal tablet but ideally not completely reformat the whole thing if I can help it

Any ideas how I go about doing it? It is a Samsung tab a I think

camo_sig.png
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Question

We recieved a tablet that was setup for a a certain thing. I. E. You turn it on and it automatically goes into the program with no way to get to the traditional home screen. I think it's probably some sort of launcher but unsure. I would like to basically get it to be a normal tablet but ideally not completely reformat the whole thing if I can help it

Should be able to boot into safe mode assuming it is running some version of Android. Not sure how though since everyone does it differently.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Question

Should be able to boot into safe mode assuming it is running some version of Android. Not sure how though since everyone does it differently.

Samsung should all be holding volume down and the power during boot.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    So for some reason my Cpu on my phone (GS8) refuses to cool down. It is hovering at a reasonable usage, 10-25% but it is staying at 65°C. It constantly spikes up to 80 and then shuts off. It is still under warranty but I will have to send it to Samsung and make do with an older phone I guess. Going to try a factory reset in an hour or so and see what happens.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So ever since I upgraded to oreo on my S8 (like, a few months ago), all my audio apps have been closing whenever the player they're connected to turns off. e.g. if the headphones get knocked out of the jack, or the BT connection gets interrupted. This is especially annoying since it means that the car's auto-play doesn't work any more. Anyone else have this problem, and/or a solution?

steam_sig.png
    anyone else have this?

Recently (last week or so) my OP3T has started giving me separate notifications for each instance. for example, lets say I have 3 new emails, I get three separate email notifications in my bar. They all go away if I open my mail app, but its really cluttered as it is now. It used to just group them and I can't seem to find a setting for it.

camo_sig.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I have an LG G6 that runs like shit now after the oreo update. It can no longer multi-task worth a damn (e.g. I can't listen to podcasts and run Google Maps at the same time anymore or it chugs and crashes) and it took me two days to run down a continuous "android.process.acore keeps stopping" error pop-up. Disabling Verizon cloud seems to have solved the latter issue but the dramatic dip in my phone's performance and weaker battery life since the update are making me seriously consider going back to iPhone after 5 years of Android.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I got a Pixel 2 a bit ago, and I'm finally trying out Google Play Music, but it's... kind of a mess.

I like the Google music store, because I can get weird albums for cheap (just picked up Odd Palace's Things To Place On The Moon). But it keeps adding garbage to my phone when I just try to play random in my library. Maybe it was based on thumbs ups to songs I own, but it downloaded songs from Bow Wow and Kansas which I *definitely* would not have done myself.

The Auto-Download setting is switched to off. Am I missing something else? Is it really just committed to acting independently of my instructions to it?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    I got a Pixel 2 a bit ago, and I'm finally trying out Google Play Music, but it's... kind of a mess.

I like the Google music store, because I can get weird albums for cheap (just picked up Odd Palace's Things To Place On The Moon). But it keeps adding garbage to my phone when I just try to play random in my library. Maybe it was based on thumbs ups to songs I own, but it downloaded songs from Bow Wow and Kansas which I *definitely* would not have done myself.

The Auto-Download setting is switched to off. Am I missing something else? Is it really just committed to acting independently of my instructions to it?

In my experience, Google Music is just fucking garbage. I switched back to spotify even though I was getting it for free because of how garbage it was, both on desktop and on mobile.

LD50 wrote: »

In my experience, Google Music is just fucking garbage. I switched back to spotify even though I was getting it for free because of how garbage it was, both on desktop and on mobile.

I'm not a fan of iTunes, but boy is Google's first party music player / store making Apple's case for them.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I'm not a fan of iTunes, but boy is Google's first party music player / store making Apple's case for them.

I'm actually not sure which is worse. On one hand, google music manages to somehow work less than itunes on windows, but on the other hand at least you don't have to install that shitware onto your actual OS and just run it (badly) in a browser.

Or... I could just use spotify, and decide if I want a well functioning desktop client or a working web version. Hell, I can even use both at the same time.

I'm actually not sure which is worse. On one hand, google music manages to somehow work less than itunes on windows, but on the other hand at least you don't have to install that shitware onto your actual OS and just run it (badly) in a browser.

Or... I could just use spotify, and decide if I want a well functioning desktop client or a working web version. Hell, I can even use both at the same time.

On osx it isn't too bad. I personally find it counterintuitive and bloated, but that's a matter of taste. iTunes on Windows feels like a trap, like they couldn't actually make software that bad on accident.

I'm seriously considering premium Spotify, but I'm still stuck on wanting to own my music.