As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Oh no, none of my tabs swapped over

Yep the next few days is getting me back up and running.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ugh I feel like an old man. My Pixel 2 had 3 buttons at the very bottom of the screen, one for back, home, and apps that were open. How do I get that back on the Pixel 4a? I don't know how to get to the opened apps so I can close them down. I installed Nova Launcher since that is what I was using before and really like it.

Swipe up from the bottom, hold it for a second and you'll get the list.

If you want your buttons back:

Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System Navigation

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ugh I feel like an old man. My Pixel 2 had 3 buttons at the very bottom of the screen, one for back, home, and apps that were open. How do I get that back on the Pixel 4a? I don't know how to get to the opened apps so I can close them down. I installed Nova Launcher since that is what I was using before and really like it.

Thanks for this! I might try using gestures for a bit and see if I like it. The extra screen space is nice.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I can't believe this 4a is thinner and smaller than my pixel 2 but yet has a larger screen. wild. Here's hoping it's good

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

Thanks for this! I might try using gestures for a bit and see if I like it. The extra screen space is nice.

The back gesture is so nice that I don't know if I can give it up for the dedicated switch apps button

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

I did the same thing when I picked up my 6T - decided to give myself two days of fumbling with gestures and if I still hated them I'd swap back. Haven't looked back since.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Urgh, ran into a problem. I must have had some of my Amazon App Store apps selected in the transfer from the Pixel 2 to Pixel 4a. They obviously didn't carry over, but the Amazon App Store thinks they're installed and gives no options to re-download them. Thankfully it's just a solitare game and a camera scanner app and nothing end of the worldish, but still sucks.

Any way to clean that up? I assume there's some system level files that need to be cleaned up but no idea where to look off hand.

edit: Solved it; had to clear storage & cache for Amazon Appstore. Then it let me re-install the phantom apps.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    So anybody considering a Note 20 ultra from the markets not using snapdragon chipset should be warned, that Samsung are using the exact same Exynos chip the S20 line used that caused so many overheating problems and battery issues.

However now there seems to be a noticeable difference in performance as the US market is using the improved Snapdragon 865+ chip. Early benchmarks are showing a real night and day difference for the two versions in terms of performance, heating and battery life.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So how is the Pixel 4a? Verizon has them on sale already for only $240. I was gonna wait for the 5 to see if I should upgrade to that, but for only $240 I really don't see any reason to wait now.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    So how is the Pixel 4a? Verizon has them on sale already for only $240. I was gonna wait for the 5 to see if I should upgrade to that, but for only $240 I really don't see any reason to wait now.

So far, it's nice. Biggest knock I can give it is it's built in speakers are kind of unimpressive, but fine.

• Options
    Yeah the speakers are pretty lame but the screen size and quality and the battery are all really good. Photos are amazing as usual.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I extremely rarely use the built-in speakers, so

How is the screen? And speed?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    The screen's very nice.

Speed wise everything seems fine, but I'm no power user. Just watched a little youtube & browsing/texting/calls so far; but everything was snappy as at least my old Pixel 2 seemingly.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The screen's very nice.

Speed wise everything seems fine, but I'm no power user. Just watched a little youtube & browsing/texting/calls so far; but everything was snappy as at least my old Pixel 2 seemingly.

Great. I bought the Pixel 3 on day one and have absolutely hated it. Wish I still had my Pixel 2XL (there was an unfortunate ocean incident while on vacation). It's made me realize I don't need to spend $1000 on a phone when I do nothing with it but browse the internet and take pictures of my kids.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    The screen's very nice.

Great. I bought the Pixel 3 on day one and have absolutely hated it. Wish I still had my Pixel 2XL (there was an unfortunate ocean incident while on vacation). It's made me realize I don't need to spend $1000 on a phone when I do nothing with it but browse the internet and take pictures of my kids.

What did you like about the 2XL that you didn't like about the 3? If it's the size/screen size, the 4a and the 3 are the same size, the 2XL is bigger.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    The screen's very nice.

What did you like about the 2XL that you didn't like about the 3? If it's the size/screen size, the 4a and the 3 are the same size, the 2XL is bigger.

I've found it extremely slow and laggy, due to its lack of memory. Apps take a long time to switch between, they're constantly refreshing even if I just go from app and right back to the last one. When I first got the phone, podcasts and music would just stop playing randomly if I switched over to another app, though that had thankfully been fixed the other slowness remains. The battery also sucks shit. It's 9 am and I'm already down to 80%. I should mention I have the 3 XL, not the regular 3.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ah it's just as good as my old Pixel 2 in terms of speed. I swap between things all the time and so far everything's fluid. I imagine the Pixel 3 XL has a better processor and more memory though so I'm not sure if it would work for your needs.

edit: I played a game on my phone and streamed Disney+ from 7am until 8:30am, and the battery is currently at 87%. My Pixel 2 would be down to 50% or so at this rate.

urahonky on
  • Options
    The screen's very nice.

I've found it extremely slow and laggy, due to its lack of memory. Apps take a long time to switch between, they're constantly refreshing even if I just go from app and right back to the last one. When I first got the phone, podcasts and music would just stop playing randomly if I switched over to another app, though that had thankfully been fixed the other slowness remains. The battery also sucks shit. It's 9 am and I'm already down to 80%. I should mention I have the 3 XL, not the regular 3.

Hmm. I'm not sure why the 3XL would have been worse than the 2XL; it should have been faster. And the 4a definitely has lower specs than the 3XL.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The screen's very nice.

Hmm. I'm not sure why the 3XL would have been worse than the 2XL; it should have been faster. And the 4a definitely has lower specs than the 3XL.

I don't know either but it was immediately noticeable from the very beginning. I remember thinking almost immediately that I wish I had just gotten another 2XL.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/bkg89o/solved_pixel_33xl_performance_issues/

I'm not sure if this can help you or not. I'm sure you've already searched around for a resolution but people here swear it's helped them so it might be worth a shot?

• Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/bkg89o/solved_pixel_33xl_performance_issues/

I'm not sure if this can help you or not. I'm sure you've already searched around for a resolution but people here swear it's helped them so it might be worth a shot?

Thanks, but at this point it doesn't matter. My phone fell on the ground the other day and broke the upper portion of the screen so I'm getting a new phone regardless.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    The screen's very nice.

rumours have it that the Pixel 5's processor isn't much more powerful than the one used in the 4a. Will be interesting to see what wizardry Google can do with it, but there looks to be a definite shift away from expensive component phones from google since the original Pixel 4 didn't set the world on fire.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The screen's very nice.

Huh, that doesn't match my experience with the 3XL at all. I know that "well mine works fine" isn't particularly helpful, I'm just wondering if your phone specifically had something wrong with it.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The screen's very nice.

Huh, that doesn't match my experience with the 3XL at all. I know that "well mine works fine" isn't particularly helpful, I'm just wondering if your phone specifically had something wrong with it.

You wouldn't be the first person to tell me that, so that is entirely possible. But whatever, it at least helped me realize I don't need to spend $35 a month on a phone with a bunch of shit I don't ever use cause all I ever do is browse the web and take pictures.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    The screen's very nice.

You wouldn't be the first person to tell me that, so that is entirely possible. But whatever, it at least helped me realize I don't need to spend $35 a month on a phone with a bunch of shit I don't ever use cause all I ever do is browse the web and take pictures.

Yup! This is where I'm at. I don't even play games on my phone all that much anymore. And even if I did they're just the lowest quality games so why am I paying $800+ for it?

• Options
    The screen's very nice.

Yup! This is where I'm at. I don't even play games on my phone all that much anymore. And even if I did they're just the lowest quality games so why am I paying $800+ for it?

Yeah agreed. Don't need much when all I do is pictures, browsing, Twitter, and a few very light games. I have the 3a XL and it's great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If the 4a can run the eventual Slay The Spire Android port, I'd be ecstatic. But the most demanding game I run on my phone now is Solitare, honestly. :rotate:

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The screen's very nice.

Yeah agreed. Don't need much when all I do is pictures, browsing, Twitter, and a few very light games. I have the 3a XL and it's great.

Personally, even before quarantine the "idle phone browsing" use case was going away. For my established breaks, like lunch, I would usually just take my Kindle out instead. Or hell, just taking the 5-10 minutes of downtime in the waiting room at the doctor to meditate instead of surfing the net or playing a mobile game.

Years and years ago I broke the habit of needing to check my phone constantly by turning off notifications for pretty much everything except incoming calls and texts, which over time has made it easier for me to further distance myself from the need to whip out my phone during any and all times where I'm not already preoccupied. It has made a vast difference in my overall mental well-being. I'd recommend it to everyone.

And yeah, if I were actually going to play a game while on the move I'd just buy a Switch and carry it around for that kind of money. At that point the phone is going to be so massive that I'd need to get something to hold it anyway.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The Surface Duo's battery life worries me. Only 3600mah total or something around that, and it's got to drive two screens with that.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The Surface Duo's battery life worries me. Only 3600mah total or something around that, and it's got to drive two screens with that.

The more I see of it, the more I think it shouldn't have been classed as a phone but a tablet outright. Keep it aimed at pro productivity users as a companion device. Could have probably sold it at $1000 wifi only and still got a fair few good sales.

• Options
    That's what the Surface Neo is supposed to be.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    That's what the Surface Neo is supposed to be.

Oh I know, I just can't see what value the duo has as a phone when the Neo seems to be the better usage. However, this still depends on the price ad the Neo is much larger a device. I think selling the Duo as a pocket or mini version of the Neo without the phone features would be a much better idea.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Shoot $1k for the Duo would have been an instant buy for me.

I feel like a dual screen phone like the Duo or V60/Velvet would fit my usage better than one big folding screen. As it is, I'm seriously considering the Fold 2 though.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I'll probably wait until the Duo V3 before considering.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, like any of these types of things, I'm hesitant to go in on a first gen technology. If I were buying one today I'd get the LG Velvet without a second thought because I can not use the second screen all the time, which I do find has some value. At work, at home, etc I can see the second screen being very useful but if we ever get to go out and do things again I don't always want that bulk, and just want a "normal" phone.

But realistically, my hope is that by the time My Note 10+ reaches the end of its usable life the technology and price is in a position where I would consider getting a Galaxy Fold. The second generation device looks pretty good, but it'll be stupid expensive. Give me that kind of device for something priced close to the Note 20 Ultra and I'd strongly consider it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Has anyone else given up on using the "OK Google" functionality?

It worked okay on my new phone for about two weeks, or slightly less, but now I have two options: run the latest update of the Google app, which has terrible lag and voice comprehension after being "woken up" ("Set an alarm for 1 PM" apparently sounds like "Girl to girl", that's just great), or use the default version that came installed on my phone, which can no longer set clocks and tends to crash a great deal.

I'm considering switching over to Amazon Alexa, despite not really wanting to use that either (not that I have a good reason to prefer Google over it from a security standpoint, frankly).

I guess Google Assistant sucking is kind of a deserved reputation. I could just be better off disabling it entirely and accepting that working voice assistants were a bygone thing of the past.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    No lasting issues for me. I've been using it for several years.

• Options
    Google Assistant has only been around for 3-4 years (and "OK Google" less than that), but four could mean "several" I suppose.

I'm glad it's not just me, the LGG8 sub-reddit is filled it similar complaints. Ah well.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Google Assistant has only been around for 3-4 years (and "OK Google" less than that), but four could mean "several" I suppose.

I'm glad it's not just me, the LGG8 sub-reddit is filled it similar complaints. Ah well.

I use it daily and haven't had any trouble.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    "What is the temperature outside?" becomes "Ruptured duck."

If Google's plan was to convince me not to use the voice features, they've succeeded.

EDIT: "Will it rain tomorrow?" is "Roundworm." :lol:

Synthesis on