As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yeah, it's something that doesn't matter to you until it does matter. At my work my boss sits to my right, so if I have an earbud in it'll be the left one so I can hear her more easily if she needs to ask me something. I also do like to switch which ear they're in because no matter what kind of earbuds I have in after maybe 3 hours I find my ear needs a break from them.

Longer sessions, or when I really do need to put my head down and work I use my over ear headphones because of that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I've tried a couple of different brands of either attached or free floating buds and none start in my ears for more then a minute.

Currently using the Anker Q30s right now and I'm fine wearing them for hours. Some people are bothered by over the ears though.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I like over ears but I sweat bad in the summer with em on. Everyone's ears are so different I'm surprised there isn't a company that makes made-to-fit buds.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    There are, actually.

https://custom.ultimateears.com/products/ue-fits

they've been reviewed pretty well.

But in reality the actual custom moulded stuff is super expensive and out of range of most normals.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    There are, actually.

https://custom.ultimateears.com/products/ue-fits

they've been reviewed pretty well.

But in reality the actual custom moulded stuff is super expensive and out of range of most normals.

That's awesome, and appropriately expensive lol

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    managed to crack my display, and repair is more expensive than the phone is sold as nowadays..

Any ideas for a phone that fulfills these requirements?

-As fast as a mate 20 pro
    -water proof
    -decent camera
    -128gb+ internal memory (ideally with expandability, but can live without)
    -not extremely expensive

Xiaomi phones seem to fulfill most of these but the waterproof one..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I found the Samsung S10e- How is Samsung with android updates nowadays?

And will there be an S20e or something? The S10e is from 2019 already..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

There was no S20e, the S10e was the "small/cheaper phone" of the S10 line. The closest you'll find in the Samsung world is the S20 FE, which was mostly the same phone as the S20 series, just with a couple cuts like a plastic back (which I actually think is a plus, not a minus). It's not smaller, but it is cheaper, and a heck of a phone.

Samsung is really good with updates now, at least the number they provide. There are 4 years of security updates, and you get the monthly security patch the same month it releases the vast majority of the time (samsung actually pushes the update to some unlocked euro phones before Google gets the updates onto Pixels), and Samsung has committed to 3 android version updates to virtually all of their phones dating back to the S10 line. You won't get them day 1, they still come out around December or January, but you get them. No other OEM except for Google has committed to 3 version updates.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I think I might get a Pixel 5 this week. I know it's considered a worse value than the Pixel 4e but the 5's bigger battery and wireless charging I think are worth that extra to me. It's also still way cheaper than a Samsung with similar features.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

There was no S20e, the S10e was the "small/cheaper phone" of the S10 line. The closest you'll find in the Samsung world is the S20 FE, which was mostly the same phone as the S20 series, just with a couple cuts like a plastic back (which I actually think is a plus, not a minus). It's not smaller, but it is cheaper, and a heck of a phone.

Samsung is really good with updates now, at least the number they provide. There are 4 years of security updates, and you get the monthly security patch the same month it releases the vast majority of the time (samsung actually pushes the update to some unlocked euro phones before Google gets the updates onto Pixels), and Samsung has committed to 3 android version updates to virtually all of their phones dating back to the S10 line. You won't get them day 1, they still come out around December or January, but you get them. No other OEM except for Google has committed to 3 version updates.

Cool! I'll see if I can find a repair shop that does the "remove glass from display and re-seal" technique, but the S20FE looks very good.

Maybe I'll wait till end of the year for the next generation, either to get the Pixel 6, or the price drops.. Although, who knows about price drops in today's chip situation

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Cool! I'll see if I can find a repair shop that does the "remove glass from display and re-seal" technique, but the S20FE looks very good.

Maybe I'll wait till end of the year for the next generation, either to get the Pixel 6, or the price drops.. Although, who knows about price drops in today's chip situation

It's believed that Samsung will announce the S21 FE at some point, however there are conflicting rumours on if the phone is being delayed due to component shortages. It was originally rumoured to be announced around the same time as the Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3 in August, but not sure if that'll happen now.

The vanilla S21 also has a plastic back, and can be found cheap-ish now that it is 6 months old.

• Options

It's believed that Samsung will announce the S21 FE at some point, however there are conflicting rumours on if the phone is being delayed due to component shortages. It was originally rumoured to be announced around the same time as the Z Flip 3 and Z Fold 3 in August, but not sure if that'll happen now.

The vanilla S21 also has a plastic back, and can be found cheap-ish now that it is 6 months old.

Which is better, s20fe or s21?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Which is better, s20fe or s21?

Honestly for your desired use cases, the S20FE might just be a bit better. It does have a MicroSD card slot. the S21 is newer, featuring a Snapdragon 888 compared to the 865 in the S20 FE, but that probably won't make a material difference. The S20FE does have a bigger screen and battery, While the S21 will have slightly better cameras. the only thing worth mentioning is that with the S20 FE launched on android 10, which means it'll get Android 12 and 13. The S21 launched on Android 11, so it'll get Android 14.

They're both pretty good, might just come down to your personal preferences on things like screen size, microSD, etc.

• Options
    Do both of them have a flat front, or is one of them curved?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Spoke too soon. Nobody has any Pixel 5s...

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Looks like Google has the black one? Not sure if there was different configs available before, just showing one option.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Looks like Google has the black one? Not sure if there was different configs available before, just showing one option.

Best they can estimate shipment is July 15. They don't tell you they don't have them in stock until it's time to checkout which is annoying.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Best they can estimate shipment is July 15. They don't tell you they don't have them in stock until it's time to checkout which is annoying.

Ah sorry. Thought maybe you just wanted the other color or there was a different storage option.

• Options
    No one is offering storage options thanks to the chip shortage. It does look like Amazon has some though.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Well now my pixel 3 is randomly turning off wifi and Bluetooth and when you try to reactivate them they just turn if immediately.

I have to reboot the phone to get them working.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm in the market for a new budget Android tablet. 90% of its use is for streaming media while I'm in the kitchen but I do have a ton of Android games and a pretty substantial ebook library.

Most recently I've had the Amazon Fire HD 10 which worked really well for everything I needed except the internet browsing but I've gone through 2 of the 7th gen fire tablets in like 3 years. In one case, the charging port just got too loose to work after about 2 years and the other one has just stopped working altogether.

So now I'm looking at the following ones:
    • Amazon Fire HD 10 (2021) w/ case - CDN$250
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 w/ case - CDN$339
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite w/ case and S-pen = CDN$449

I think the S6 Lite might be a little out of my price range (I've been given permission to buy my own father's day gift) and while I want to try the S-pen, I don't know if it will be actually useful for my use case but I like the more RAM and power. The one I would ACTUALLY get if it existed in Canada is probably the Amazon Fire HD 10 PRO because it has 4GBs of RAM and wireless charging which would negate the issues I ran into with the first one I had. But like I said, it's not available in Canada currently for I don't know what reason.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? Are there any other Android tablets I'm missing that might meet my needs?

(And I know the Amazon ones aren't technically Android tablets but I've had really good success sideloading the google apps and play store and almost all of the things I've wanted to use have worked on it)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    I mean, you kind of made your point with the Amazon tablets with having them fail twice on you.

Personally, while I think the Amazon tablets are fine, I do own two of them and won't be buying another. They're super cheap, and super slow. my 4 year old samsung tablet is faster than my 2020 Fire HD8. And while you can sideload google services onto them, I've found that updates can break that functionality at any time, which is a pain. the Fire HD 10 is also on a fork of android 9, which is already almost 3 years old, and Amazon rarely updates their tablets to a new version of Android.

I personally think that you get what you pay for, and sometimes buying something cheap means you get just that.... something cheap. Would you rather spend, say $400 on something you may get 3-4 years out of, or $250 on something you'll probably be wanting to replace in 2 years?

Budget of course is always the victor, but I always advocate for buying the best thing you can in your budget. $400 now instead of $250 now and $250 2 years from now is better math, if you have $400 now.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    yeah. I'm leaning towards the A7 or S6 Lite but probably the A7 since it should offer more power than the Amazon tablets I had previously and they basically did everything I needed them to do.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    It has been my opinion for quite some time now that there are no quality Android tablets. They only still exist because they can be made cheaply but iPad is a vastly superior product. The last attempt to make one was Slate and I don't think the product line lasted 18 months before going to the Google graveyard.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Samsung tab are fine but they're pricey for what they are. And because there are few decent Android tablets, Google has done nothing to make Android scale properly for larger screens. They're just not worth it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    It has been my opinion for quite some time now that there are no quality Android tablets. They only still exist because they can be made cheaply but iPad is a vastly superior product. The last attempt to make one was Slate and I don't think the product line lasted 18 months before going to the Google graveyard.

I completely agree with this. The only Apple product I use is the iPad and it's just light-years ahead of any android offering.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm of the opinion that Android tablets are really only good as cheap media consumption devices. If you try to use them for anything else, it's a waste of money. And if you are part of the subset that wants a device for a kid, then you are far better off getting an older iPad model to ensure that they are working within a curated ecosystem than leaving them to the wild west of the Android market.

• Options
    For clarity, I am an android phone user and agree that the android app market is so bad I contemplate going back to iPhone every 2-3 years when my phone dies.

Fortunately the price tag of iPhone is making that a really easy decision to avoid right now.

• Options
    I love my Google Pixel 3 more then any other phone I've had, but I've only had it a few years and it's had so many problems.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think the only thing that would push me to an iPhone is if there isn't another viable alternative. I don't mean that to sound all "phone wars" or anything, but they just don't click with me. My iPad was fine for a device I didn't use every day, but I just can't use an iPhone as my primary device. I need devices I can tinker with.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I love my Google Pixel 3 more then any other phone I've had, but I've only had it a few years and it's had so many problems.
    My Google phones (Pixel XL and Pixel 4 XL) haven't given me much trouble. I only had a problem with my Pixel XL after 2 1/2 years after it (and my leg) were kicked by a horse, and with my P4XL for some strange reason Google Photos would get stuck backing up images after I initially set it up. That was fixed with a factory reset but it was odd that it happened after transferring stuff from my old Pixel.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The only problem I had with my original Pixel XL was the screen burn-in that was so much of a problem on phones of that time. My Pixel 4 XL has had the battery life that everyone hates (which has been ok-ish for me, but not great), but otherwise has been great. I was disappointed when Google dropped out of the flagship game, so I'm hopeful for what the 6 looks like this year.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I'm actually glad they are out of the flagship game because I am done with flagship phones. I have not utilized a new feature since fingerprint reading and I am impressed enough with Pixel 3's camera where I don't know if I care that it gets any better. A smartphone is a texting, browsing, social media, and podcast listening machine that I occasionally use spoken word communication with. I can't justify dropping $1K every 2-3 years on that.

Butters on
  • Options
    Google Pay is doing cash back now? I earned 10 bucks paying for some food today

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It's silly, but if iOS did simple things like let you place and resize icons as you'd like, and incorporated widgets, they'd probably win over a portion of the current Android user market.

I don't understand how we're over a decade into iPhone and you still can't place your own icons.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    It's silly, but if iOS did simple things like let you place and resize icons as you'd like, and incorporated widgets, they'd probably win over a portion of the current Android user market.

I don't understand how we're over a decade into iPhone and you still can't place your own icons.

I mean, iOS is already most of the way there. Widgets on iOS debuted last year and are generally way better than on Android. There are a few things that Android Widgets can and still do better, but in terms of UI/UX and overall aesthetic, Widgets on iOS look way better. and there are ways to create blank widgets that can make it easier to place icons near the bottom of the screen. It's a bit hacky, and not perfect, but its getting there.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Anyone have tips as to why Google Photos has hung up on these backups all year? I don't know what these specific items are because they won't show up.

At this point I'm fine removing them from the backup/upload queue and dealing with not having them in my archive, but the Photos app won't let me.
    dqyok4jhhw11.png

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I thought that was just me. I have no idea what's going on.

• Options
    Hm. Like like some are videos? Or maybe they're those animated pictures that you or the system deleted?

• Options
    I think some are vids that either I took or were sent to me