As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the biggest advantages of a pixel phone are that you get the "Google" android experience, and you get frequent and timely updates. If those things are both super important to you, than the pixel is the phone to get.

Otherwise the S9 is a fantastic phone, and probably a better piece of pure hardware.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've been on Fi for a few years now, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm at home or at work for like 90% of my life, and both have stable WiFi; my phone bill used to be around $30 per month, now it's maybe $32-34 per month (mainly because I have a kid now, as does my brother in law, and photos/videos of the kids fly fast and furious in our family Hangouts group) (OK, fine, meme GIFs also fly fast and furious) and I would rather just look at the images as I get them instead of having to wait until I get within range of WiFi.

I could be more disciplined about my browsing habits when not on WiFi, but I decided a while ago that a few dollars a month are worth not having to constantly worry about my data usage. The only real change to my browsing habits is that I now download podcasts before leaving home instead of when walking to the train - and that's not much of a change.

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    The ability to go with Project Fi (which I've been debating) put me over the top for the Pixel so I've ordered it. Thanks guys.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I guess my Pixel 3 XL should be here...tomorrow? I sprung for the expedited shipping and I guess it was worth it.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I think. A bunch of phones work on fi but you can only activate it on a select few

camo_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I think. A bunch of phones work on fi but you can only activate it on a select few

camo_sig.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I'm actually going with the Pixel 3 because I'm not interested in leaving Fi, and the 2 is missing a headphone jack too.

This means I'm in the market for some professional-quality bluetooth headphones/headset, because I sometimes pull call center overtime shifts from home, so I need to be able to charge my phone and take handsfree calls at the same time. Anybody got good suggestions?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I'm actually going with the Pixel 3 because I'm not interested in leaving Fi, and the 2 is missing a headphone jack too.

This means I'm in the market for some professional-quality bluetooth headphones/headset, because I sometimes pull call center overtime shifts from home, so I need to be able to charge my phone and take handsfree calls at the same time. Anybody got good suggestions?

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wireless-headset-for-the-office/

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    I guess my Pixel 3 XL should be here...tomorrow? I sprung for the expedited shipping and I guess it was worth it.

I took the cheapest shipping option and it's coming tomorrow (Thursday). So probably didn't make so much of a difference.

I got my case in for the regular Pixel...man it's crazy to think that it feels so small when this also would have been considered a big ass phone like five years ago. We'll see if I can handle going back to smaller, I might have to bite the bullet and pay the restocking fee. It's just funny that I was so resistant to going for the bigger phone and ONE big phone later I'm like welllllll

When I got the Nexus 6P, I was like "This thing barely fits in my pocket", and now I'm like "A smaller phone? But that would be like looking at websites through a keyhole!!!"

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    When I got the Nexus 6P, I was like "This thing barely fits in my pocket", and now I'm like "A smaller phone? But that would be like looking at websites through a keyhole!!!"

I found my old G1 the other day and I was like "this is a child's toy, surely there is a hatch I can open and bubblegum comes out"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Christ, that's a rabbit hole to fall down. I knew my Dell Venue Pro was small, but not that small. It must have had an outstanding screen to have a usable browser.

I'm also really surprised to find that my LG G6+ is bigger than the iPhone X. Somehow I got the impression it at least as big, and the iPhone XS was a giant. That's what marketing will do I guess.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I have a co-worker who still uses an iPhone 5s and every time I see it, it looks like a child's toy. Especially because this guy is a 6'5" 275 pound mountain. His thumb basically covers the entire screen at once.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    The fucking hilarious screen on my Palm Pre. Man I loved that phone.

And here I am worried that the regular Pixel 3 will be too small. We'll see if I have to eat a restocking fee. I just keep reminding myself it'll be easier to use with one hand and that's worth it.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    one of my best friends just upgraded from an iPhone SE to an iPhone 8. for her, going fro 4" to a 4.7" phone feels like she's holding a giant thing in her hand.

I made her hold my S8+ and she called me an insane person for liking a phone that big. to be fair she calls me an insane person like 7 times a day so....

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I remember back when I thought my Note 4 was huge, and eventually had to hold a Galaxy S3 to remove some junk and it felt like holding a children's toy.

It just became the new normal.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm torn right now about what to do about a future phone. The battery on my 6p is pretty terrible but the phone still performs remarkably well. It's $140 to replace the battery with a brand new OEM battery. I got the phone through my friend's corporate plan so I asked if he could hook me up with that again. I checked it out and the prices on phones are crazy now.

On a 2 year-contract these are the prices on the corporate plan:

CDN$669 for a Pixel 2 XL 64GB
    CDN$499 for a Huawei P20 Pro
    CDN$249 for a Huawei P20
    CDN$389 for a Galaxy S9
    CDN$199 for a Galaxy S8

I was expecting to pay like $200 for a Pixel 2 but they only have the XL version and I think I'm okay with a smaller screen. I basically just use my phone to browse the internet and twitter and occasional pictures at this point but I'm hard pressed to convince myself to get something much lower than the top because this is going to be my phone for 2 years.

Are those Huawei phones they have any good?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    I think this is all of my (smartish)phones compared. It's more than a reasonable human needs. Was quite the walk down memory lane. I think the phone that still gives me the warmest fuzzies is my Nexus 5. That was a fucking great phone. Great size, loved the build and the soft touch back, rooted that thing to hell and back too. Original Pixel was also a great phone, I miss the gently sloping back that made the camera flush.

I'm torn right now about what to do about a future phone. The battery on my 6p is pretty terrible but the phone still performs remarkably well. It's $140 to replace the battery with a brand new OEM battery. I got the phone through my friend's corporate plan so I asked if he could hook me up with that again. I checked it out and the prices on phones are crazy now.

CDN$249 for a Huawei P20
    CDN$389 for a Galaxy S9
    CDN$199 for a Galaxy S8

I was expecting to pay like $200 for a Pixel 2 but they only have the XL version and I think I'm okay with a smaller screen. I basically just use my phone to browse the internet and twitter and occasional pictures at this point but I'm hard pressed to convince myself to get something much lower than the top because this is going to be my phone for 2 years.

I haaaaaaaaate Huawei's skin. $389 for a GS9 is a great price, easy winner there.

$199 for a GS8 is also really good - that phone is perfectly fine still and will be a massive upgrade from a N6P if you're trying to get out of this for as little as possible.

ChaosHat wrote: »

I took the cheapest shipping option and it's coming tomorrow (Thursday). So probably didn't make so much of a difference.

I got my case in for the regular Pixel...man it's crazy to think that it feels so small when this also would have been considered a big ass phone like five years ago. We'll see if I can handle going back to smaller, I might have to bite the bullet and pay the restocking fee. It's just funny that I was so resistant to going for the bigger phone and ONE big phone later I'm like welllllll

Yeah, it said something like 27th or 28th for the standard shipping and I mean, I'm already spending $$$ for the phone, what's an extra bit?

Of course, it likely would have come earlier than that anyway, but they got me.

ChaosHat wrote: »

Yeah, it said something like 27th or 28th for the standard shipping and I mean, I'm already spending $$$ for the phone, what's an extra bit?

Of course, it likely would have come earlier than that anyway, but they got me.

If it makes you feel better after I placed the order I was immediately filled with regret at not going for the faster shipping.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I just did a comparison in size from my oldest phone to my newest.

Lol.

fq586es2qvrz.png

jungleroomx on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

CDN$249 for a Huawei P20
    CDN$389 for a Galaxy S9
    CDN$199 for a Galaxy S8

I haaaaaaaaate Huawei's skin. $389 for a GS9 is a great price, easy winner there.

$199 for a GS8 is also really good - that phone is perfectly fine still and will be a massive upgrade from a N6P if you're trying to get out of this for as little as possible.

Re: GS8 and GS9 -- make sure you showroom them at Best Buy or similar. They both have the newer aspect ratio (18:9), so it has a completely different hand feel. Also those phones are damn slippery.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Double posting for separate question.

My wife's GS7 is starting to have freezing and slowdown problems that seem to have manifested during the most recent OS update pushed by Samsung. What steps can I help her take to try to fix it from a software standpoint? To me, it feels like something in the background is chomping on RAM and it's causing the phone to chug. Outside chance the update also ate up a fair amount of on-board storage.

I tried having her delete her caches and such, but that doesn't seem to help. I'm assuming the next option is a factory reset?

Of note: her and my sister-in-law are both experiencing the same problems, but my brother (all 3 have the same phone) is not; which suggests to me this could possibly be an app problem.

Lol.

fq586es2qvrz.png
    Was your oldest phone a slim pack of cigarettes?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    That looks roughly like my old Sony Ericsson phone from like 2003.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    LG Chocolate?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Lol.

fq586es2qvrz.png
    Was your oldest phone a slim pack of cigarettes?

No pic for it on there but

winbqt7ghte3.png

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Mine-

553AqV9.jpg

Two special features-

-Text messaging,

-The fact that its rechargeable battery was formed like FOUR AA batteries and you could use them, too!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I had one of these:

paratouchmatrix7818139e7a0750d3a1.jpg

Vodafone branded Maxon MN1. Texting was this cool new thing! How awesome was that!

Got my Pixel 3 XL!

Initial impressions are that using a dark background basically makes the notch disappear. Obviously it's a bit more noticeable in apps, but I think I'll adjust. I still don't think it's absolutely necessary, but it does give me more display compared to the Pixel 2 XL. The screen itself seems quite a bit better if I hold the two phones next to each other. The duller colors from the Pixel 2 XL aren't there by default.

The back caught me off guard a little bit since it looks similar to the Pixel 2 XL, but it doesn't feel as textured. You can definitely tell that it's glass. I haven't had a chance to mess around with it a lot yet but it's about what you'd expect. If you liked the Pixel 2 XL it's basically a more refined version of that.

The wired usb-c earbuds that come with it will likely see some use. I'm probably the only person in the world that actually really liked the pixel buds and these are pretty similar. They're obviously a little cheaper but they have the same functionality (instead of touch they have an inline control). It's nice that they bundled a set.

Question for Android 8.0 users:

One nice thing my LG G6+ used to do was, upon plugging it in to charge or setting it on the Qi charger, the home screen would tell you the estimated charge time left so long as it was charging.

For some weird reasons, that's gone away--if I swipe down, there's a estimated time left on the notification bar, but not on the home screen.

Is this just a weird Android bug that will go away, or is it a specific thing that got turned off? Anyone know?

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Question for Android 8.0 users:

One nice thing my LG G6+ used to do was, upon plugging it in to charge or setting it on the Qi charger, the home screen would tell you the estimated charge time left so long as it was charging.

For some weird reasons, that's gone away--if I swipe down, there's a estimated time left on the notification bar, but not on the home screen.

Is this just a weird Android bug that will go away, or is it a specific thing that got turned off? Anyone know?

That seems like the kind of thing that the specific manufacturer added to the phone. Did you have a recent update? Most likely they either decided not to update it or they changed something in Android that broke the functionality and they didn't care to update it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Pixels do that on the lockscreen, so I'm guessing LG removed it on purpose for some reason.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    My LG V30 does it on the lock screen, but not the home screen. On the home screen, the whole screen will momentarily dim slightly, and a little animation of bubbles or something just above the charge port happens for a couple of seconds. As far as I can recall it's always been like that.

Jazz wrote: »
    My LG V30 does it on the lock screen, but not the home screen. On the home screen, the whole screen will momentarily dim slightly, and a little animation of bubbles or something just above the charge port happens for a couple of seconds. As far as I can recall it's always been like that.

I seriously think you are guys are right, and I'm just dumb. I recently activated face recognition, just to experiment (I prefer the fingerprint scan for either of my index fingers, which is damn convenient, even if it is on the back of the phone), meaning that if my phone is looking at my face...it's probably going to unlock.

That means I'm no longer dropping a locked phone onto my charging pad, and watching the screen wake up, still locked, with the charging percentage and ETA towards the bottom. Instead, it brings up the home screen, where only the percentage appears briefly.

I'll need to test that when I get home. I'm still very new to Android 8.0, which I'm finding is a very large improvement over Android 6.0--even if a few things are still broken.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Woo got my 3 XL! So happy to have a big phone again. Super nice screen.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I was checking the shipping status of my Pixel 3 XL and it didn't seem to have moved very far in the last 24 hours. I put the start and end points of the last day into Google Maps and apparently in the last 24 hours my new phone has traveled less than 5 hours worth of distance...

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I was checking the shipping status of my Pixel 3 XL and it didn't seem to have moved very far in the last 24 hours. I put the start and end points of the last day into Google Maps and apparently in the last 24 hours my new phone has traveled less than 5 hours worth of distance...

Give Oleg a break, he's walking as fast as he can.