As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Update, the 6T is still powered by black magic.

Yes, this is 48 hours between charges, with 5.5 hours of screen on time. I haven't neutered the phone to accomplish this. The only concession to battery life I made was to set up a IFTTT applet that turns off wifi when I leave home and turns it back on when I get back. Everything else is stock out of the box.

mv53mvsgjmiu.png

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    After 2 hours of waiting I finally spoke to someone at Fi...they couldnt do anything to help me so I'm being kicked over to their shipping support people who handle this stuff via email. Fantastic. Apparently they'll reach out to me in 48-72 hours, although the automated ticket email says up to 5 business days due to volume.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sounds like you're being given the old runaround

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    And my Google Store/Fi saga continues.

Package arrived today while I was out of the house and FedEx allowed someone not me to sign for it. When I got that email notification I immediately called FedEx and they said maybe a neighbor signed for it (Setting aside that as far as I know I dont have a neighbor with the name of the individual who apparently signed for my package, what the fuck? If I cant redirect shipment because Google requires my signature why the fuck can FedEx deliver a package to me with my neighbor's signature). I get home a couple of hours later and my package is there...but it only contains a sim-free set up guide.

Reached out to FedEx and they want me to submit a claim, currently waiting for Google Fi support which had an estimated wait time of 70 minutes...

The entire reason I bought the phone when I did was to get the travel card, but I only have 15 days from the ship date to activate the phone. If this screws me out of that promo I'm going to be super pissed.

I'm hoping this is a one off experience (although Dude with Herpes' story is sadly similar to mine) as my previous customer support interactions were incredibly positive.

The phone itself was gone?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Package arrived today while I was out of the house and FedEx allowed someone not me to sign for it. When I got that email notification I immediately called FedEx and they said maybe a neighbor signed for it (Setting aside that as far as I know I dont have a neighbor with the name of the individual who apparently signed for my package, what the fuck? If I cant redirect shipment because Google requires my signature why the fuck can FedEx deliver a package to me with my neighbor's signature). I get home a couple of hours later and my package is there...but it only contains a sim-free set up guide.

Reached out to FedEx and they want me to submit a claim, currently waiting for Google Fi support which had an estimated wait time of 70 minutes...

The entire reason I bought the phone when I did was to get the travel card, but I only have 15 days from the ship date to activate the phone. If this screws me out of that promo I'm going to be super pissed.

I'm hoping this is a one off experience (although Dude with Herpes' story is sadly similar to mine) as my previous customer support interactions were incredibly positive.

And the box was physically opened already, or the only thing in it was the setup guide and it was still sealed?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »

And the box was physically opened already, or the only thing in it was the setup guide and it was still sealed?

No phone in the box (maybe it was gone, maybe it was never in there), the box was sealed and didnt look tampered with. I took pictures before and after opening it in case I need them.

I'm putting this at 70/30 FedEx's fault as they consistently fucked up at every delivery attempt, but I'm open to the possibility that no phone was ever in the box.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Honestly, probably no phone ever in the box, especially if it was sealed.. Probably just a screwup in the assembly/packaging line.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Yeah, that's my assumption but I'm mentally preparing for a lengthy debate over whether something was in the box and if so whether I'm entitled to the travel promo.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Hmm, Poweramp updated at some point and if the feature still exists I haven't found the setting toggle to turn on swiping up to go to the next album.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Well this is a pain in the ass. I plugged in my phone before bed and got ready. I went back to check and it wasn't charging, but the connector got hot enough to start melting the plastic. I'm going to take a Hail Mary shot and see if a local repair place can help but I'm not holding my breath. Looks like I'll be searching for a replacement. This was not something I needed to handle today (a Sunday); on top of a light fixture in my bathroom that is mysteriously not working.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Well this is a pain in the ass. I plugged in my phone before bed and got ready. I went back to check and it wasn't charging, but the connector got hot enough to start melting the plastic. I'm going to take a Hail Mary shot and see if a local repair place can help but I'm not holding my breath. Looks like I'll be searching for a replacement. This was not something I needed to handle today (a Sunday); on top of a light fixture in my bathroom that is mysteriously not working.
    Still using a Pixel XL? Not good, but uBreakIFix lists charging port repair as an option. Failing that I'd be tempted to yell at Google but that isn't likely going to be a fast process. Were you using the cable and charger that came with the phone?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    I just bought this in June. I was not using the cable and charger that came with it. I'm going to see what local shops can do a charging port fix

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Can anyone confirm the camera on the pixel 3 is slow as fuck to open?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Mine seems fine?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I know I barraged you guys with battery life stats on my OnePlus 6T a couple months ago, but if you're considering a new phone and need a decent battery life, this phone just keeps getting crazier. I honestly am not sure what powers it.

Screen on time isn't super comparable between different people since we all use our phone differently, but the numbers are still nutty and in particular less than 1% standby drain while keeping location, Bluetooth, wifi, and wifi scanning enabled is crazy to me.

z1pobulgh4eb.png

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

Mine seems fine?

My Samsung s7 has been acting screwy lately and I saw the love for the pixel 3 so thought about making the leap, but I saw some posts suggesting the camera opens really slowly.

Usually I wouldn't care, but i have a one year old and pics are mucho important.

• Options
    Holy shit there's no headphone jack? Might be a deal killer right there, my car doesn't have Bluetooth.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Holy shit there's no headphone jack? Might be a deal killer right there, my car doesn't have Bluetooth.

Several are following the "no headphone jack" trend, unfortunately. (There is always the USB-C dongle solution, as inelegant as it is, doubly so if you're using a splitter to charge it, but that just gets silly.)

Samsung, LG and others are hanging on to headphone jacks so far. LG in particular make a point of it.

I sympathise, at least in part; my car has Bluetooth for telephony but not other audio, so for podcasts etc I need to get out a wire (I just use a separate USB stick for locally stored music in the car).

Jazz on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

When my phone is already unlocked, it's fine. When I open the camera directly from locked (ie, double tapping the power button), it's slow as shit. Honestly, I don't like this phone at all. The memory issue is a huge problem, taking pictures will closed anything running in the background, like Maps. I wish I had just gone with another Pixel 2 XL after mine took its swim.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

When my phone is already unlocked, it's fine. When I open the camera directly from locked (ie, double tapping the power button), it's slow as shit. Honestly, I don't like this phone at all. The memory issue is a huge problem, taking pictures will closed anything running in the background, like Maps. I wish I had just gone with another Pixel 2 XL after mine took its swim.

Okay that's the camera thing I read about. Looks like not the phone for me and I was really looking forward to getting out of Samsung for once in fifteen years.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Okay that's the camera thing I read about. Looks like not the phone for me and I was really looking forward to getting out of Samsung for once in fifteen years.

Get a Pixel 2 XL

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Several are following the "no headphone jack" trend, unfortunately. (There is always the USB-C dongle solution, as inelegant as it is, doubly so if you're using a splitter to charge it, but that just gets silly.)

Samsung, LG and others are hanging on to headphone jacks so far. LG in particular make a point of it.

I sympathise, at least in part; my car has Bluetooth for telephony but not other audio, so for podcasts etc I need to get out a wire (I just use a separate USB stick for locally stored music in the car).

I'm requiring it because I like my 3.5mm headphone jack-powered earbuds and headphones. The dongle solution is there, but I'm one of the "You've created a problem in the name of fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place." Water resistance with a headphone jack is completely doable, to start.

I guess it's not that surprising I ended up buying my first LG phone, and my second Android handset.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    welp, not sure how it happened but my GS8+ had a giant chunk of the bottom right of the screen missing this morning, and cracks all along the bottom. probably about half an inch in diameter of glass just... gone. I don't remember dropping it in the last few days, thinking something hit it with enough force in my pocket while I've been moving shit at work that it hit an already existing hairline crack and exploded the bottom corner.

So, hello shiny new Note 9. Wasn't expecting to buy you, but hey, it's only money.. .right? :bigfrown: :rotate:

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

Get a Pixel 2 XL

Talk to me more about this.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

I'm requiring it because I like my 3.5mm headphone jack-powered earbuds and headphones. The dongle solution is there, but I'm one of the "You've created a problem in the name of fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place." Water resistance with a headphone jack is completely doable, to start.

I guess it's not that surprising I ended up buying my first LG phone, and my second Android handset.

Yup. Still very, very happy with my V30. Absolutely terrific phone, even if it's not the new hotness any more.

I showed a friend the Point Zoom in the Cine Video mode earlier (you can zoom in on any point in the frame, not just the center) and got one of the most amazed reactions I've ever seen. Certainly at the time, the V30 was the only phone that could do that. I assume the likes of the V40 and G7 can do that now, not sure if anyone else has done it yet (I'd be surprised if they haven't, but, y'know). But it was pretty cool. :)

Jazz on
  • Options

Get a Pixel 2 XL

It's better and cheaper

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    I keep seeing Xperia XZ4 news popping up in my feeds, and I'm really curious to see what comes out of CES. I just hope there's going to be a dual SIM variant...

工事中
  • Options

Get a Pixel 2 XL

It's better and cheaper

Note: it also doesn't have a 3.5mm jack. However, Bluetooth car adapters are numerous and cheap.

For the record, I'm still firmly pro-jack but I'm hard pressed to find non-Pixel phones that are at least close to "Google Edition," and support their update schedule.

• Options
    If you really want the jack @MegaMan001 you could consider a OnePlus 6. The 6T doesn't have one, but the predecessors all do, and are flagship level phones at reasonably less cost than a Pixel series.

OnePlus uses OxygenOS as a skin over Android, but having come from a Pixel directly to the OnePlus 6T, it feels basically like stock, and so far gets updates almost as fast.

• Options
    I guess same reply to @Mugsley - I think right now Oneplus is making the closest thing to a Pixel phone without the price premium or the ludicrous notch design.

• Options
    Ha! I was going to tag you in that post but realized I was replying and then asking a different question in the same post.

• Options
    Huh a lot to consider...I think I'll check out best buy tomorrow and see how these all feel. A Bluetooth car adapter doesn't look like too much of a pain in the ass.

• Options
    Me: "eh. A lot of people are watching this. I'll toss out something before putting the kids to bed. "

eBay: " Congratulations! You won a Pixel 3!"

Welp.

Good thing I have a birthday this month.
    c7h8nin2wudd.png

• Options
    Me: "eh. A lot of people are watching this. I'll toss out something before putting the kids to bed. "

eBay: " Congratulations! You won a Pixel 3!"

Welp.

Good thing I have a birthday this month.
    c7h8nin2wudd.png

Tell him that you don't want it anymore and he should give it back to his son and teach him to not be a spoiled brat

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Don't know ages, so...

Maybe his son is like 30 and wanted to give Android a shot. There were/are multiple listings of "received/bought this as a Christmas gift and couldn't get away from iPhone. "

One person lamented their giftee was too invested in iMessage/FaceTime but I guess some people don't want to do a little extra work to look for alternatives (Duo is really good you guys)

• Options
    When I moved from an iPhone (4S) to an Android phone, it was a bit of a wrench and the new OS was different enough that it took some getting used to. I decided to give it a month, and if I wasn't used to it by then, I'd think about going back. Before the end of that month, Android and I were cool. I wouldn't particularly want to go back now, and that's even before seeing where iPhone prices have gone since then.
    (Duo is really good you guys)

Yeah it is

• Options
    I think the only real weakness of Android is the updates, if you're not on the Pixel range your security updates in particular are delayed. Even the OnePlus phones, which are quicker than most, usually lag behind a Pixel by a couple weeks. My 6T didn't get the December security update until just before Christmas, about 2.5 weeks after Pixels got it.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I have a Pixel and I don't know why I'd upgrade to a Pixel 3.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Only reason I got a Pixel 3 XL is because the Japan version included Felica, the Japan specific solution to NFC payments. Rarely have to use cash now.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    So, the Note 9. how I have it functionally set up the thing does not operate much differently than my s8+. However, the camera is noticeably better. I thought it would be better, but not like "wow this is actually really good" better. The second lens to get 2x is wonderful. And the battery life. I've only had it a few days so I don't have a long term look at it yet but it's looking like a battery champion.

Screen on time isn't a super great metric by itself, but I can compare apples to apples (or rather, samsungs to samsungs?) of my own usage. When my GS8+ was new I'd get about 6 hours of screen on time on average. the Note 9 is trending towards roughly 9 hours. I'd say a 33% improvement is pretty great.

standby time is also pretty great. I don't usually have my phone on the charger overnight, I top it up in the morning after I get up. It's been losing about 7-9% battery overnight, about 8 hours. so around 1%/hour. I'm impressed.

The s pen is a great novelty that I'm sure I'll use about 75% less a month from now. But I do like it, and I'll use it.