Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 8
    I have discovered that it's every time I connect to Android auto.

Dunno what that means, as I haven't changed anything there either. I'll have to look at settings on my car.

EDIT: with that info googling now tells me that lots of people are having this issue and google has been notified. "Fixing" it is as simple as changing to landscape and back and it returns the correct keyboard.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Could be a "feature" trying to offer a simple interface when you're driving? Sounds broken though.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The cynical me thinks they made Bluetooth harder to turn off to help their Apple Tag/Pebble things coming this year.

Or maybe everyone just leaves BT on all the time now.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    The cynical me thinks they made Bluetooth harder to turn off to help their Apple Tag/Pebble things coming this year.

I think everyone just leaves BT on now. The power drain is essentially nothing on the modern chips so it's not worth doing for power saving reasons, and just like every other example of "probably a security flaw but the average person isn't going to be targeted by it", only security conscious people care about the other implications of it.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    The only reason I ever turn off BT is to try to force something to disconnect (like my partner wants to pair with the bluetooth speaker I had been using but my device won't let go). Even in airplane mode it's not off b/c i'm using my headphones via it.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    The only reason I ever turn off BT is to try to force something to disconnect (like my partner wants to pair with the bluetooth speaker I had been using but my device won't let go). Even in airplane mode it's not off b/c i'm using my headphones via it.

This is especially true for me now that my phone also unlocks my car.

• Options
    edited April 10
    But I need to free the COMM port to use my gamepad...

Interesting. I still toggle on & off. Maybe I shouldn't bother?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    yeah, the idle power usage of the radio is basically zero. Manually managing things like bluetooth, wifi, etc are a "I've always done things this way!" thing when really we shouldn't need to worry about it day to day.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I think everyone just leaves BT on now. The power drain is essentially nothing on the modern chips so it's not worth doing for power saving reasons, and just like every other example of "probably a security flaw but the average person isn't going to be targeted by it", only security conscious people care about the other implications of it.

I turn mine on/off out of habit. I agree that it's not really a major concern in terms of probability but Bluetooth vulnerabilities are among the largest and most accessible attack surfaces available, and can grant access to a device which can metaphorically unlock your entire life. Maybe you specifically aren't being targeted, but setting something up to skim a phone's Bluetooth is orders of magnitude easier than something like a credit card skimmer due to the sheer range and availability.

At the end of the day, I don't use anything on Bluetooth that isn't intentional, so it's not a big deal for me to take the extra step of turning Bluetooth on when I'm about to use it and off when I'm not.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    What is it about Google Fi and iPhones? I had to help my mom get a new SIM because hers randomly stopped connecting to the cellular network.

All 4 iPhones on our family account had issues of some sort. Two we've had to use eSIM.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Anyone on Google Fi run into an issue where your phone just refuses to connect to data? My wife and I have identical Pixel 5a phones but mine has real trouble with finding a cell network to connect to when coming off wifi, or when driving and likely switching towers frequently.

For example, I usually pull up my daughter's daycare in Maps while sitting in the driveway to drop her off or pick her up, not because I don't know how to get there but because there are two roughly equivalent routes to take but I want to avoid traffic as much as possible. When I get to daycare I flip it around (or choose my office if I'm going into work) and half the time Maps doesn't have a data signal to pull up traffic updates and I have to flip airplane mode off and on to force a reconnect or in extreme situations reboot the phone.

I notice this behavior doesn't really affect my wife's phone because I was trying to browse the internet on my phone while my wife was driving us back home from visiting family over the weekend. Her phone was streaming Spotify and had a solid 5G signal and my phone literally 2 feet away in the car was showing the signal bar with exclamation point meaning no data access. This has happened enough that it doesn't seem like a fluke where the tower we're both connecting to is overloaded and I'm the unlucky one that is not getting access.

I've looked into the "signal check" function in the Fi app, and it says no problems when I do have a connection and when I run the tool while it's broken it says "no data access, please connect to network to troubleshoot" or something stupid and pointless like that.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

I turn mine on/off out of habit. I agree that it's not really a major concern in terms of probability but Bluetooth vulnerabilities are among the largest and most accessible attack surfaces available, and can grant access to a device which can metaphorically unlock your entire life. Maybe you specifically aren't being targeted, but setting something up to skim a phone's Bluetooth is orders of magnitude easier than something like a credit card skimmer due to the sheer range and availability.

At the end of the day, I don't use anything on Bluetooth that isn't intentional, so it's not a big deal for me to take the extra step of turning Bluetooth on when I'm about to use it and off when I'm not.

Do you not have a smart watch? I leave my BT on all the time because i have my watch on all the time pretty much. I just take it off when i shower.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Do you not have a smart watch? I leave my BT on all the time because i have my watch on all the time pretty much. I just take it off when i shower.

Nope. I don't see the allure of wearing those kinds of devices - I'm the kind of person who turns off all their phone notifications except for calls and texts from known numbers.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Huh, my phone had an upgrade to Android 14 pushed to it, and now the controls to hide the media player on the lock screen actually work. That's not the sort of thing that I've come to expect from updates.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

Nope. I don't see the allure of wearing those kinds of devices - I'm the kind of person who turns off all their phone notifications except for calls and texts from known numbers.

Yeah, same here. Notifications have gotten out of control, AccuWeather now uses a 'special weather announcement' notification when it's fucking raining.

That does not require a special notification.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options

Weird way to frame the question. Statistically, most people do not have smartwatches.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I enjoy my smartwatch despite also being one of those people - there are maybe like, 8 apps on my phone that can send notifications, the rest are blocked, but it's honestly been worth it for the fitness tracking, having Google assistant on my wrist, and never missing a phone call since my phone is always on silent not vibrating.

• Options
    I have a smartwatch and what I actually use it for for notifications is that there are fewer notifications that reach my watch than my phone. So for example I might have news notifications from a couple apps on on my phone, but they don't buzz my watch. I try to have it where if just my phone buzzes it's probably not something I need to look at this second, but if it's a notification that hits my phone and watch I probably want to at least check it right away.

In practice that means mostly messaging and phone call notifications are the only things that reach my watch, plus a couple others.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have a smartwatch that just does the health tracking stuff, tells time, and will show notifications for things that I allow. It's helpful to see texts from the wife or parents so I know if I need to respond quick or can wait a while. But I really don't need to respond on the watch directly, thanks. And also

This right here.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I've been super unhappy with my Pixel 6a recently. Past 6 or so months if I set it down it almost goes into standby mode where not even the clock shows on the screen. Normally not an issue but I stopped getting text notifications and my doorbell. When I pick the phone up then suddenly I get flooded with notifications. And about a week ago I got word that my phone is out of date by 24 days or something but when I go to the update page it just hangs on "installing update" and nothing else.

• Options
    I bought one because it was a fireable offense to have your phone out when the line was running at my last job. So the only way i could get notifications was with my watch.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I've been super unhappy with my Pixel 6a recently. Past 6 or so months if I set it down it almost goes into standby mode where not even the clock shows on the screen. Normally not an issue but I stopped getting text notifications and my doorbell. When I pick the phone up then suddenly I get flooded with notifications. And about a week ago I got word that my phone is out of date by 24 days or something but when I go to the update page it just hangs on "installing update" and nothing else.

Are you short on storage? I wonder if your updates can't install because there isn't enough free space

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited April 16

That sounds like you have battery saver/extreme battery saver or bedtime mode enabled or otherwise have apps' background data use turned off. Extreme battery saver will pause all notifications from apps unless you specifically designate them as critical. Bedtime mode can be set to disable always-on display to keep the screen dark.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

That sounds like you have battery saver/extreme battery saver or bedtime mode enabled or otherwise have apps' background data use turned off. Extreme battery saver will pause all notifications from apps unless you specifically designate them as critical. Bedtime mode can be set to disable always-on display to keep the screen dark.

Nope :( Nothing enabled for battery saver. Even now I just grabbed my phone to check if battery saver was turned on and I got 4 additional notifications... Some over an hour old.
    Mugsley wrote: »

Are you short on storage? I wonder if your updates can't install because there isn't enough free space

I've got about 30GB free of storage.

• Options
    I'm guessing I should really just do a restore on the phone but the idea of downloading all my apps and stuff again and having to setup 2FA and my 1Password account... Ugh.

• Options
    I assume you have already googled this but you aren't setting it down in its face are you? That can trigger silent mode based on certain settings.

• Options

Nope :( Nothing enabled for battery saver. Even now I just grabbed my phone to check if battery saver was turned on and I got 4 additional notifications... Some over an hour old.

Besides battery saver setting itself, check if the Adaptive Battery setting is enabled. That one specifically mentions it can delay notifications.

• Options
    edited April 16

Besides battery saver setting itself, check if the Adaptive Battery setting is enabled. That one specifically mentions it can delay notifications.

Turned that off a while ago. I think I was having an issue with notifications a while ago and it turned out to be Pikmin Bloom was delaying my notifications: Explanation
    I assume you have already googled this but you aren't setting it down in its face are you? That can trigger silent mode based on certain settings.

Yeah I'm always putting it face up because I need it for the clock but recently it stopped working. I'm currently in repair mode trying to do the update and it looks like it's doing the exact same thing. It's been "getting your phone ready..." for almost 3 hours now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Oh it finally worked! Repair mode actually let the update go through. Score!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So this is weird, while she was sleeping my mother's phone (Pixel 8 Pro) sent a link to an Apple privacy page that doesnt exist (https://www.apple.com/privacy/#ac-ln-menustate, the url before the # works and ac-ln-menustate adds nothing and google hasnt been helpful).

Basically the person she had a text chain with uses an iPhone and responded to a couple of my mother's texts with emojis. My mother's phone then automatically responded with the aforementioned link (confirmed sent from my mother's phone as it shows in both their chains as sent from my her and my mother can see the message details). I'm thinking it has something to do with the way iOS and Android interact when it comes to emojis, has anyone else run into this? Should we be wiping my mom's phone?

Spoilered because the image keeps imbedding as a massive version of itself
    7es4ixl3nsp3.png

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    So this is weird, while she was sleeping my mother's phone (Pixel 8 Pro) sent a link to an Apple privacy page that doesnt exist (https://www.apple.com/privacy/#ac-ln-menustate, the url before the # works and ac-ln-menustate adds nothing and google hasnt been helpful).

Basically the person she had a text chain with uses an iPhone and responded to a couple of my mother's texts with emojis. My mother's phone then automatically responded with the aforementioned link (confirmed sent from my mother's phone as it shows in both their chains as sent from my her and my mother can see the message details). I'm thinking it has something to do with the way iOS and Android interact when it comes to emojis, has anyone else run into this? Should we be wiping my mom's phone?

7es4ixl3nsp3.png

Android doesn't have built-in auto-reply functionality for texts as far as I'm aware. You have to have a 3rd party app installed for that. I'd start there.

• Options

7es4ixl3nsp3.png

Android doesn't have built-in auto-reply functionality for texts as far as I'm aware. You have to have a 3rd party app installed for that. I'd start there.

Yeah i think the closest thing is certain phrases can be auto sent if someone calls as a reason for why you are not answering.

• Options
    I'm going to give Fi another couple months. If we have more service issues, I'm likely going to jump to another MVNO.

I wouldn't mind Mint but it's also a MVNO to TMo so we will likely have the same problems. Is Boost the only one that uses ATT?

• Options
    Cricket is also AT&T.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

7es4ixl3nsp3.png

Yeah i think the closest thing is certain phrases can be auto sent if someone calls as a reason for why you are not answering.

I dont think she has any auto replies set up, and shes certainly never sent any to us. She's had the phone since November (or whenever they came out) and this is the first time its happened. She claims she didnt know she could tag texts with reactions/emjois...

She did have another couple of texting apps installed which shes since uninstalled, I'm not sure they would have sent anything though if they werent set as the default texting app (I think she had Textra and Messages+ which is I think the a Verizon text messaging app).

It hasnt happened again and I'm not ruling out she did it in her sleep...

• Options
    My wife tried to print something about 2 months ago from her phone to our HP printer and it bugged so badly every time she restarts her phone she gets 4 or 5 notifications saying the documents could not print. Fucking printers man.

• Options
    Fucking HP printers man. Every fucking time.

• Options
    I have enough hate in my heart for all printers

• Options
    Yeah that is not specific to HP printers. All printers are bad. They have more moving parts than any other device we own and the drivers are the most complicated. Those are both things of necessity, but it makes them the absolute worst.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular