Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

199100101102103105»

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I've always just turned 5G off on my phones cause i figured it was crap unless you were basically line if sight.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I've always just turned 5G off on my phones cause i figured it was crap unless you were basically line if sight.

Verizon bribed Samsung into locking down a ton of functions on their phones so i can't turn it off on mine or my wife's. Fucking assholes.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I leave my 5G on because my battery is more than good enough but I'm sure it's not that big a help for connection speed.

frexewxlb6nk.jpg

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    This is the second day I've used the 8a and so far I really like it. I don't really do much on my phone anymore. But everything feels cleaner and photos look great!

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

this is not quite true. There are two kinds of connections marketed as 5G, and three implementations of those two kinds.

the 5G you're thinking of is verizon's mmWave 5G, which operates in the 6GHz range which does have very fast speeds but very short range. When you do have that, it's incredible with a theoretical maximum speed of over 6Gbit/s. But in reality, it isn't useful in the average use case, and again, only Verizon has that currently. I'm actually fairly sure they're the only carrier in the entire world with any mmWave 5G deployed.

Every other 5G implementation is "Sub-6" 5G, which means anything below 6GHz. Commonly that's in the 2.5 or 3.5GHz range, though there are other frequencies. The range of that is largely comparable to LTE signals, and in fact some wireless spectrum used for LTE is being repurposed for 5G. There are 5G SA (Standalone) networks that are less common, and those networks run on straight 5G technology top to bottom. This enables speeds of well over 1Gbit/s in good conditions. But these networks are less common today for reasons that'll become obvious. Eventually 5G SA will be the norm, but we aren't there yet.

5G NSA (non-standalone) is a 5G signal but using 4G LTE technology on the back end. NSA has the advantage of being easier and cheaper to deploy today as it can share some infrastructure, equipment, and spectrum with LTE. that doesn't mean it is slow. As I type this my phone on a 5G NSA network is pulling 400mbit download on speedtest where on LTE I'd be in the 150mbit range. that's on the high end, but 5G NSA is usually faster than LTE. the downsides to NSA is that it does have higher latency than SA. The vast majority of 5G deployments right now are NSA because they're cheaper and easier, and are the stepping stone to SA, just like how with LTE it fell back to 3G for voice calls for a long time before voice over LTE became common.

there are certain locales and circumstances where 5G NSA can be slower than 4G LTE, but that is very much a mileage may vary. And even verizon has largely given up on mmmwave 5G and has sub 6 5G all over now.

There's little reason to have 5G specifically turned off, unless maybe you still have one of the first generation 5G phones that did have pretty inefficient 5G radios.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

this is not quite true. There are two kinds of connections marketed as 5G, and three implementations of those two kinds.

the 5G you're thinking of is verizon's mmWave 5G, which operates in the 6GHz range which does have very fast speeds but very short range. When you do have that, it's incredible with a theoretical maximum speed of over 6Gbit/s. But in reality, it isn't useful in the average use case, and again, only Verizon has that currently. I'm actually fairly sure they're the only carrier in the entire world with any mmWave 5G deployed.

Every other 5G implementation is "Sub-6" 5G, which means anything below 6GHz. Commonly that's in the 2.5 or 3.5GHz range, though there are other frequencies. The range of that is largely comparable to LTE signals, and in fact some wireless spectrum used for LTE is being repurposed for 5G. There are 5G SA (Standalone) networks that are less common, and those networks run on straight 5G technology top to bottom. This enables speeds of well over 1Gbit/s in good conditions. But these networks are less common today for reasons that'll become obvious. Eventually 5G SA will be the norm, but we aren't there yet.

5G NSA (non-standalone) is a 5G signal but using 4G LTE technology on the back end. NSA has the advantage of being easier and cheaper to deploy today as it can share some infrastructure, equipment, and spectrum with LTE. that doesn't mean it is slow. As I type this my phone on a 5G NSA network is pulling 400mbit download on speedtest where on LTE I'd be in the 150mbit range. that's on the high end, but 5G NSA is usually faster than LTE. the downsides to NSA is that it does have higher latency than SA. The vast majority of 5G deployments right now are NSA because they're cheaper and easier, and are the stepping stone to SA, just like how with LTE it fell back to 3G for voice calls for a long time before voice over LTE became common.

there are certain locales and circumstances where 5G NSA can be slower than 4G LTE, but that is very much a mileage may vary. And even verizon has largely given up on mmmwave 5G and has sub 6 5G all over now.

There's little reason to have 5G specifically turned off, unless maybe you still have one of the first generation 5G phones that did have pretty inefficient 5G radios.

You say that but literally about 50% of the time when my phone insists it has a 5g connection my mobile data completely stops working. In fact there is a road near my house where it does it every time i drive down it.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yeah i mean i still have a pixel 6 so it might just be to old but same thing, if i leave 5g on all it does it get excited every 20 minutes and try to camp on a 5g signal, gets no data, then falls back to LTE.
    So i just leave it on LTE.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    I don't understand the specifics of it but I get significantly faster speeds on LTE than 5G on my shitty Canadian provider (Telus) so I just leave 5g off although I've never had connections dropping /falling back to lte when I do have 5g enabled. I do get better latency on 5g but that doesn't do anything for my use cases so meh.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I don't understand the specifics of it but I get significantly faster speeds on LTE than 5G on my shitty Canadian provider (Telus) so I just leave 5g off although I've never had connections dropping /falling back to lte when I do have 5g enabled. I do get better latency on 5g but that doesn't do anything for my use cases so meh.

Very much mileage may vary since we live in the same city (yes, the two of us know each other I'm not a weird stalker) and when I was on Telus I was consistently getting 500+ down on 5G but significnatly slower on LTE.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Does anyone use the Outlook app? My company recently changed email domains and I had to uninstall/reinstall Outlook and now the reply/reply all options are at the bottom of emails chains. I don't know why they did this, but I want the option to respond from the message opened.

Focused Inbox is off, organize by thread is also off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    emp123 wrote: »
    Does anyone use the Outlook app? My company recently changed email domains and I had to uninstall/reinstall Outlook and now the reply/reply all options are at the bottom of emails chains. I don't know why they did this, but I want the option to respond from the message opened.

That's the new Outlook UI to make it consistent with their web-only version. There should be a toggle at the top right "Try the new Outlook". You can turn that off to reinstall the old desktop version. If you are talking about mobile, it's been that layout for a couple of years. There used to be an option to revert to the legacy layout, but it appears they removed that. The old Outlook desktop version will hopefully stick around longer as there is common business functionality that simply doesn't exist in the new version. We don't have anyone in the company using the new Outlook version because of that.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

That's the new Outlook UI to make it consistent with their web-only version. There should be a toggle at the top right "Try the new Outlook". You can turn that off to reinstall the old desktop version. If you are talking about mobile, it's been that layout for a couple of years. There used to be an option to revert to the legacy layout, but it appears they removed that. The old Outlook desktop version will hopefully stick around longer as there is common business functionality that simply doesn't exist in the new version. We don't have anyone in the company using the new Outlook version because of that.

Ugh gross, yeah the mobile version. I refuse to use the new Outlook on desktop as well.

I dont remember having to scroll to the bottom of a chain before being able to reply, I thought even just last week I'd be able to respond by scrolling a little bit and the reply menu would pop up.

• Options
    Aw man. Even with my Pixel 8a my notifications are delayed. I just got a calendar notification for something that starts 15 minutes ago.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Aw man. Even with my Pixel 8a my notifications are delayed. I just got a calendar notification for something that starts 15 minutes ago.

Why in the year 2024 is this still a problem? It's kinda driving me nuts.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Ugh gross, yeah the mobile version. I refuse to use the new Outlook on desktop as well.

I dont remember having to scroll to the bottom of a chain before being able to reply, I thought even just last week I'd be able to respond by scrolling a little bit and the reply menu would pop up.

@emp123 Ah, now I understand what you were asking.

Go to Settings in the app, go to Mail, go to Threading. Turn on "Organize by thread". Change Ordering to "Newest on Bottom". Turn off "Organize by thread". Stop the app completely and reopen. The reply button will now be fixed to the bottom of the window and won't move as you scroll.

Having Ordering set to "Newest on top" will force you to go to the bottom of the email to see the buttons regardless of if the organize by thread is on or off.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've developed a weird hobby of regularly going into the Google App feed and telling it I'm not interested in anything there. It"s kind of amusing seeing the Not Interested list grow larger and larger over time as the feed struggles to find newer topics for me to suppress.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I've developed a weird hobby of regularly going into the Google App feed and telling it I'm not interested in anything there. It"s kind of amusing seeing the Not Interested list grow larger and larger over time as the feed struggles to find newer topics for me to suppress.

Alphabet's next division will be Content Generation where they start wars, invent new sports, and firm film companies to generate new topics.

"Philly's thaflewacket team is really on fire this season!"

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My phone went crazy yesterday. I think I overwhelmed it with camera shit to do? I dunno. I tried out one of the recording modes that can eliminate a lot of the movement from recordings in super high quality because the kid was singing in a concert. After the third song the phone started getting really slow and hot and eventually everything just crashed. I guess it was trying to work with the files it recorded that ended up a total of 21.5GB for about ten minutes of recording. When I got home it processed them and uploaded files that were closer to 300-400MB for the videos, but the originals were still there buried in the file system and taking up space. Very weird, definitely hit the storage limit on the phone.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

I found I had to be Interested in a few things for the Not Interested picks to hold.

• Options

@emp123 Ah, now I understand what you were asking.

Go to Settings in the app, go to Mail, go to Threading. Turn on "Organize by thread". Change Ordering to "Newest on Bottom". Turn off "Organize by thread". Stop the app completely and reopen. The reply button will now be fixed to the bottom of the window and won't move as you scroll.

Having Ordering set to "Newest on top" will force you to go to the bottom of the email to see the buttons regardless of if the organize by thread is on or off.

Holy shit thank you, this was really bugging me!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 21
    Mugsley wrote: »

I found I had to be Interested in a few things for the Not Interested picks to hold.

I'm not Interested in anything, but it seems to be working for me perfectly fine based on how few articles it's giving me. It's certainly slower to collect new topics to be Not Interested in due to the lack of articles, but the ones that I do get offered seem to be fairly unique.

I have to wonder how it's working behind the scenes. I've already filtered out almost everything related to general news and to my actual interests, but there have to be a ton of articles on niche subjects that I've never had a reason to mention to Google. None of those have shown up, though. I have to wonder if Google is generating a fixed subset of articles based on what it knows about me, and then using my Not Interested list to remove articles from it. It could be that my real interests and my "Not Interested" list have reached such an overlap that I'm managing to completely cover almost everything that Google wants to give me, and the system has no mechanism for adapting to this by replacing the filtered-out articles with less relevant ones.

If I want to take this to the next level I could start making searches for fake interests in order to seed in new topics, but that would be a ton of effort and might screw with the parts of Google's services that I actually care about.

edit: And interesting topics do continue to flow in. As an example, right now, I just Not Interested "Archeology" and "Lithuania". It's just more in the slow lategame grind phase of GaaS games, rather than the early rapid progress phase. Something that's worth checking on once a day or so.

jothki on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Whenever I reboot my pixel I get a Fi notification saying setup isn't complete. Clicking it just takes me to the Fi app and clears the notification until next reboot. Nothing huge but definitely mildly annoying

• Options
    Wonder if you can clear the Google Fi app cache.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Wonder if you can clear the Google Fi app cache.

It looks like you can (or at least the options aren't disabled for the app on my phone).

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    No dice on the cache. Found some reddit threads talking about it and all the advice amounts to uninstall the Fi app. Oh well, not like I'm restarting my phone that often

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    We're still having real bad service issues on Fi, so we're in the process of moving (back) to AT&T. Pricing will be similar (within $10 per person) and coverage will be much improved. Plus we won't be shunted so aggressively to LTE and lower tier service anymore.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Something really annoying has happened in the last 24-hours and I am getting absolutely bombarded with spam on my Galaxy S24. I keep googling how to keep my phone from ringing to incoming calls that are identified as "likely spam" but nothing is working. I have the "Filter spam calls" turned on with the Android phone app and my Verizon call filter (free version) has everything enabled but calls are still getting through. The hell good is a spam filter if my phone still rings when I get calls from numbers identified as "likely spam" by both Google and Verizon?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    Something really annoying has happened in the last 24-hours and I am getting absolutely bombarded with spam on my Galaxy S24. I keep googling how to keep my phone from ringing to incoming calls that are identified as "likely spam" but nothing is working. I have the "Filter spam calls" turned on with the Android phone app and my Verizon call filter (free version) has everything enabled but calls are still getting through. The hell good is a spam filter if my phone still rings when I get calls from numbers identified as "likely spam" by both Google and Verizon?

Could you have somehow got a piece of malware that is doing it? Seems oddly convenient you start getting slammed with calls right when the call blocker stops working. Did you try DND for any numbers not in your contacts?

• Options
    I don't want to go to that extreme because I still have a reason to get calls from non contacts like local businesses and such.

I'm not sure how to scan for malware on my phone, but my latest theory to the uptick in calls is that yesterday I took a call from a recruiter (which I knew was coming) and I'll bet they sell their info.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    For a while I was getting bombarded by phone calls from unknown numbers and political calls when I donated to Obama's campaign ($5). I used truecaller then and it cut all of the bullshit out. This was a while ago but it might be worth seeing if they have a trial service.

• Options
    Just got a voicemail from a different recruiter that did not reach out to me beforehand by other means so I think this confirms my suspicion. Recruiter A peaked my interest on LinkedIn and asked for my number and then it looks like his company immediately shared my contact info in some way.

Blech!