As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The port on my Pixel 3 is failing and Samsung is selling the Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G for $399 and I they will ship an unlocked 256GB model for $450 if I trade in my Pixel. This seems like a pretty good deal?

Anyone ever activate an unlocked phone with Verizon? Is it too much trouble?

Based on latest post, it may be moot but my 4a was unlocked and it went fine. Don't think I had to call or talk to anyone, just did it online and phone.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Z Fold3 and Z Flip3 officially official.

Z Flip3 starts at $1000 USD for 128GB/8GB

Z Fold3 starts at $1800USD for 256GB/12GB.

Samsung says that the folding display is now 80% stronger, which allows a specifcly made S Pen to work with the Fold3. Allegedly durable enough to not have to worry about damage in day to day operation. Also IPX8 certified, which means water resistent, but not dust resistent. They're really messaging these phones as durable enough for the average person to use without having to baby it.

Since I live in Canada I'll point out that the price reduction this year is even better for Canadians, especially on the Fold3. While the Fold2 was almost $2900CAD at launch the Fold3 is "only" $2270. The Z flip 3 starts at $1270 in Canada where the original Z Flip was a $1800 phone at launch.

Samsung is also going in pretty far with pre-order bonuses. These numbers are in Canada but I would imagine it's simliar-ish in the US, just adjust for the currency. In Canada we get 1 year of Samsung's extended warranty for free, $260 in samsung store credit to buy accessories when you order a Fold3, as well as 600 airmiles (which is a travel rewards/points program here in Canada. 600 is... a lot. usually at a grocery store you have to spend $20 to get one point, to give you an idea).

Honestly, I think the pricing is starting to hit the point where a reasonable person could buy it, especially $1000 USD for the Flip 3. you don't get a telphoto lens on the Flip 3 but if i was looking at either, say the S21+ or the Flip3 for roughly the same price, I might do the Flip3 just for the novelty.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Oh also the Galaxy Watch 4 and Watch 4 Classic both look really good. I almost bought a Watch Classic but I think I'm going to wait until sales around christmas before I pick one up.

Mainly because I just dropped a preorder for a Fold3 and used the credit for a couple cases for the phone so that's enough money spent for today.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Looking like the market is bullying me into the standard Galaxy S21 rather than the ultra I thought was in my budget. Pixel 5's are cheaper but not available and doesn't seem to have any features worth waiting god knows how long for. The rest of the available android phones with wireless charging are either too expensive (S21 Ultra, Sony Xperia) or aren't available on Verizon (OnePlus 9).

Part of me wants to wait for the Pixel 6 still but considering this is their first true attempt at a flagship phone, I think I should wait for the next attempt. I don't think the whole Pixel line is going anywhere but I could totally see them pivoting away from flagships if the 6 isn't received well enough.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Looking like the market is bullying me into the standard Galaxy S21 rather than the ultra I thought was in my budget. Pixel 5's are cheaper but not available and doesn't seem to have any features worth waiting god knows how long for. The rest of the available android phones with wireless charging are either too expensive (S21 Ultra, Sony Xperia) or aren't available on Verizon (OnePlus 9).

Part of me wants to wait for the Pixel 6 still but considering this is their first true attempt at a flagship phone, I think I should wait for the next attempt. I don't think the whole Pixel line is going anywhere but I could totally see them pivoting away from flagships if the 6 isn't received well enough.

I personally only recommend Google and Samsung phones nowadays anyway, because of their support. Samsung actually currently provides longer/better support than Google does for their phones. they both promise 3 Android version updates, but Samsung promises a 4th year of security/monthly patches where google doesn't. If you keep your phone for 2 years or longer, that matters.

• Options
    I also forgot to mention I am still weary of Chinese-owned brands like OnePlus and TCL.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I also forgot to mention I am still weary of Chinese-owned brands like OnePlus and TCL.

Eh, Google does as much or more privacy invading than anything any brand with a chinese owner does. None of them, not even Apple anymore have your best interests at heart. You are the product. Doesn't matter if the phone comes from Google, Samsung, Oppo, etc.

• Options
    No but Google and Apple can be sued by entities that represent me and to my knowledge Samsung nor LG were never caught selling surveillance systems for their hardware to Iran or illegally exported to North Korea.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Z Fold3 and Z Flip3 officially official.

Z Flip3 starts at $1000 USD for 128GB/8GB

Z Fold3 starts at $1800USD for 256GB/12GB.

Samsung says that the folding display is now 80% stronger, which allows a specifcly made S Pen to work with the Fold3. Allegedly durable enough to not have to worry about damage in day to day operation. Also IPX8 certified, which means water resistent, but not dust resistent. They're really messaging these phones as durable enough for the average person to use without having to baby it.

Since I live in Canada I'll point out that the price reduction this year is even better for Canadians, especially on the Fold3. While the Fold2 was almost $2900CAD at launch the Fold3 is "only" $2270. The Z flip 3 starts at $1270 in Canada where the original Z Flip was a $1800 phone at launch.

Samsung is also going in pretty far with pre-order bonuses. These numbers are in Canada but I would imagine it's simliar-ish in the US, just adjust for the currency. In Canada we get 1 year of Samsung's extended warranty for free, $260 in samsung store credit to buy accessories when you order a Fold3, as well as 600 airmiles (which is a travel rewards/points program here in Canada. 600 is... a lot. usually at a grocery store you have to spend $20 to get one point, to give you an idea).

Honestly, I think the pricing is starting to hit the point where a reasonable person could buy it, especially $1000 USD for the Flip 3. you don't get a telphoto lens on the Flip 3 but if i was looking at either, say the S21+ or the Flip3 for roughly the same price, I might do the Flip3 just for the novelty.

The biggest plus for me with the Fold 3 is the Samsung Labs feature where you can adjust the way each app runs for you with aspect ratio and change its look depending on what mode you have the Fold open at. It'll be a bit of a slog to go through each app compatibility but if you can do as they say and make each app run how you want it to for each mode, then it's a massive game changer and really the only major thing holding back from the Fold 2. The other features are really just dressing (the fold 2 had the majority of its internals were water resistant with the exception to the hinge but its good to finally get an IP rating) and the S pen from demonstrations looks a little clunky compared to a standard Note but to have it working on a foldable is pretty incredible.

Im very tempted to upgrade.

• Options
    I bet that samsung labs features comes to the older foldables via a software update. And all it seems to be is something to force apps that dont' support Android's multi-tasking to work with the system. We'll see how good/reliable it is. The fact that it's a labs feature and not an "official" feature indicates that it could be buggy. Will have to wait for reviews.

• Options
    We have had some very early version of the labs in way of the system app customisation feature. Which enabled apps that wouldn't run full screen or at all in some cases become operational even if the aspect ratio was screwed. To be able to theoretically customise those apps at an individual level but also adjust other apps so features like running in laptop mode for Zoom calls or even having apps rotate in full screen mode to act like a tablet version is such a welcome feature after 11 months usage of a Z Fold 2.

I fully understand it'll be buggy but it's the right step than waiting for app developers to adapt apps for the Fold line. I think the Z Fold 2 surprised a lot of people with how well it sold.

I'm tempted by the 3 simply because from a hardware standpoint it fixes all the issues the Fold 2 had (strength of the folding glass, water resistance in the hinge, reduction in hinge size) while adding pen support even if it's not fully in Note territory is still missed when I changed from my Note 10 Plus.

I'll probably decide next week but glad to see someone else on the foldable train. 😀

• Options
    I'm actually on the Note 10+ right now. I'm really debating whether I should pick up the flip case with the s pen, which is half off during pre-order (so $60 instead of $120 in Canada).

On one hand, I really haven't used the s pen much with my Note 10 in the last year or so, mostly as a remote shutter for the camera, which the s pen that comes with the flip case can't even do. I also despise flip style cases so I'll probably very rarely have the case on the phone. On the other hand, I kinda want to see how well it works. On the third hand, I kinda have a tech news/product reviews side hustle that I mostly do for fun (ok, entirely for fun, I make zero dollars doing it) and something something hashtag content.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm actually on the Note 10+ right now. I'm really debating whether I should pick up the flip case with the s pen, which is half off during pre-order (so $60 instead of $120 in Canada).

On one hand, I really haven't used the s pen much with my Note 10 in the last year or so, mostly as a remote shutter for the camera, which the s pen that comes with the flip case can't even do. I also despise flip style cases so I'll probably very rarely have the case on the phone. On the other hand, I kinda want to see how well it works. On the third hand, I kinda have a tech news/product reviews side hustle that I mostly do for fun (ok, entirely for fun, I make zero dollars doing it) and something something hashtag content.

Sounds like a tax write-off!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Sounds like a tax write-off!

hahah if only. It's not really a thing, just something I do for fun since no one will actually pay me to do it. :rotate:

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I'm totally out of the loop, how easy/hard is it to put a custom rom on a google phone?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I'm totally out of the loop, how easy/hard is it to put a custom rom on a google phone?
    Depends on what exact make/model you're talking about. I would start here in any case:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/all-forums-by-manufacturer

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

For what it's worth I was having almost the same problem and I paid one of those local cell phone repair shops 70 bucks and they put a new port in and and still going strong on my pixel 3

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    So rumours are swirling that tomorrow Google might show off the Pixel 5a. Specs and leaks suggest its a retooled 4a 5G.

• Options
    I went with the Galaxy S21. So far so good with it but I need to de-bloatware it. Lots of goofy and inferior Samsung versions of shit I don't want. Other than the native camera app, does anyone know what Samsung does that's worth using? I heard Samsung Pay is actually really good and works on older card scanners that Apple and Google Pay don't.

• Options
    I went with the Galaxy S21. So far so good with it but I need to de-bloatware it. Lots of goofy and inferior Samsung versions of shit I don't want. Other than the native camera app, does anyone know what Samsung does that's worth using? I heard Samsung Pay is actually really good and works on older card scanners that Apple and Google Pay don't.

for Samsung pay specifically, the feature you're talking about is MST, which emulates the magnetic strip for terminals that don't support tap to pay. Samsung actually removed it from the S21 line since, to be frank, the only country in the world that matters is the US, and it wasn't worth it for Samsung to continue including it. I personally don't use Samsung pay, and just stick with Google Pay.

For the rest of the Samsung apps, there are a couple that I use on a regular basis. For a mobile browser I actually prefer Samsung Internet to Chrome, I just find that it works better on a smaller screen than Chrome does. I also actually prefer Samsung Messages to Google Messages. there are a couple others I use sometimes, like Samsung Notes. Samsung Cloud is kept enabled because Samsung has their own device backup service that's better than Google's, so if you switch from one samsung device to another it's useful. I use samsung health because I have a tizen watch.

the rest I don't really use. Bixby's voice assistant is trash but I do use Bixby routines for a couple things (think tasker style functionality, but samsung device specific).

Basically, what I'd say is at least for some of them, give them a try before you outright delete them. there's nothing wrong with sticking with all of the Google apps, there's nothing wrong with using some of the Samsung apps. but give both options an honest try, and then decide which you like better.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

for Samsung pay specifically, the feature you're talking about is MST, which emulates the magnetic strip for terminals that don't support tap to pay. Samsung actually removed it from the S21 line since, to be frank, the only country in the world that matters is the US, and it wasn't worth it for Samsung to continue including it. I personally don't use Samsung pay, and just stick with Google Pay.

For the rest of the Samsung apps, there are a couple that I use on a regular basis. For a mobile browser I actually prefer Samsung Internet to Chrome, I just find that it works better on a smaller screen than Chrome does. I also actually prefer Samsung Messages to Google Messages. there are a couple others I use sometimes, like Samsung Notes. Samsung Cloud is kept enabled because Samsung has their own device backup service that's better than Google's, so if you switch from one samsung device to another it's useful. I use samsung health because I have a tizen watch.

the rest I don't really use. Bixby's voice assistant is trash but I do use Bixby routines for a couple things (think tasker style functionality, but samsung device specific).

Basically, what I'd say is at least for some of them, give them a try before you outright delete them. there's nothing wrong with sticking with all of the Google apps, there's nothing wrong with using some of the Samsung apps. but give both options an honest try, and then decide which you like better.

it's not so much an app but there are couple of system level things that I was surprised to learn are unique to samsung devices as opposed to Pixel ones. Like on a Samsung device, you can disconnect bluetooth devices from the pulldown shade. Another one is I think the Samsung devices let you control ringer volume and notification volume separately. For whatever reason, on my wife's pixel 5, you can't separate those 2.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Pixel 5A official. Only available in the US and Japan.

It's basically a Pixel 4A 5G with a bigger battery. a much bigger battery. 4670mah, with the midrange 765G it's basically a 2 day phone, according to reviews.

There's no mmwave 5G for verizon users. And the price has been cut by $50, to $450 USD.

That's... it.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    That battery is nice, but I'll wait for a 6a since I want new camera hardware.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Pixel 5A official. Only available in the US and Japan.

It's basically a Pixel 4A 5G with a bigger battery. a much bigger battery. 4670mah, with the midrange 765G it's basically a 2 day phone, according to reviews.

There's no mmwave 5G for verizon users. And the price has been cut by $50, to $450 USD.

That's... it.

Hmm... That sounds like it may be up my alley. I don't *need* a flagship phone or a price attached to it. Now to go do a cost benefit analysis and see if it's worth switching to Fi when buying new phones for my wife and me.

• Options
    one thing I did miss is that the 5a is IP67 rated where the 4a 5G had no IP rating.

• Options
    one thing I did miss is that the 5a is IP67 rated where the 4a 5G had no IP rating.

Also has the same metal body coated like the Pixel 5 has and a 0.1 bigger screen. However the laser autofocus has been removed.

• Options
    My daughter is having a problem with her 3a where it deletes her voicemails when she reboots her phone. Has anyone seen this?

• Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    My daughter is having a problem with her 3a where it deletes her voicemails when she reboots her phone. Has anyone seen this?

That's super weird because that shouldn't be possible. Voicemails don't live on the phone, they live "server" side and just accessed via the phone.

• Options

That's super weird because that shouldn't be possible. Voicemails don't live on the phone, they live "server" side and just accessed via the phone.

Yeah but don't the voicemail apps sync with its inbox? There has to be some sort of link between the delete function on the app and the voicemail server.

• Options
    My guess is that they are still there, but the app doesn't recognize any older than the timestamp of its last startup. I'll have her dial into the actual T-Mobile voicemail system and see if they are there.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Says here (https://www.t-mobile.com/support/plans-features/voicemail you can access voicemails from your computer.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    I'm getting a 404 on that page, but I'll google how to do it. Thanks!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'm getting a 404 on that page, but I'll google how to do it. Thanks!

there's a ) in the link at the end. works without it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    That's what I get for trying it on my phone, thank you.

• Options
    Z Flip 3 reviews have hit. There are a couple outliers, but the general consensus seems to be that if you're ok without a telephoto camera and a just ok battery, this is a phone that offers no other compromises compared to the similarly priced Galaxy S21+..... and folds in half.

Standard caveats that we have only Samsung's promises on the durability of the folding display, and we won't really know if that's true for several months, though the reviewers did praise the feel and initial impressions of that new display.

But basically, if you're in the market for a high end phone, this is an option that anyone can seriously consider, with few compromises.

• Options
    And now Z Fold 3 reviews have hit as well. i'm only reading a couple as mine is coming in a week and like I said I do have a technology website side hustle so I'm going to be doing my own Z Fold review.

But the couple I have read basically say "yeah, this is a better version of last year's fold. If you have the money, and this thing is something that compels you, you're going to love it. Otherwise, this isn't a phone for most people."

But man, I can't wait to get mine.

• Options
    And now Z Fold 3 reviews have hit as well. i'm only reading a couple as mine is coming in a week and like I said I do have a technology website side hustle so I'm going to be doing my own Z Fold review.

But the couple I have read basically say "yeah, this is a better version of last year's fold. If you have the money, and this thing is something that compels you, you're going to love it. Otherwise, this isn't a phone for most people."

But man, I can't wait to get mine.

I managed to spend a few hours with a Fold 3 and yes in nearly all aspects its better than a fold 2, the S Pen support and IPX rating seals that. Its slightly lighter than the 2, feels nicer in the hand with it being smaller with a better enclosed state. It's finally improved on the god awful screen protector the Fold 2 had and the front screen is 120hz. They also have better colour choices and just an overall better approach to launching the device and promoting the features.

However, I would say its got the same underlining problem the Fold and Z Fold 2 have had and that's the software compatibility. Even with the Labs feature which I spend most of my time using during, its a very messy temporary fix to the apps that don't play nice with the phone. Adobe apps and social media apps like Instagram, Snapchat are the worst offenders but there are a lot that don't have any tablet mode support or have weird scaling issues that you discover over time. Banking apps treat switching screens like a security break and will shit the bed. Games like Pokemon Go will scale wrong in full screen mode and you can't access most of the menus. I would say though I managed to try a Gamecube emulator to see what the hardware can do and this was impressive and scales really well.

From reviews I've read they haven't really improved on battery and with the improved front screen might have made the battery life slightly worse. If you are used to long term all day battery life it may be a bit of a shock. I get about 4/5ths of a day battery from moderate use of my Z Fold 2. It's something to consider. I would say for both the Z Fold and Z Flip devices are designed to work best for those with a smartwatch attached. So the devices are used when activated rather than to just check notifications, play music etc.

The camera's haven't changed at all from what I can see, which honestly isn't too bad. The Fold 2 was good for everything I needed and only struggled with night shots which unless you have a pixel or latest iPhone isn't going to change with most phones. Where the Fold series shines is with what practical options you can do for photography.

If you take those in to account, then the experience is unlike any other phone on the market. The productivity of working with 4 apps on the go at the same time, being able to unfold the screen to watch media content in the best possible quality, having so many useful practical options for your photography and video calls it's so impressive. It takes a little time to get used to at first but they are incredible.

• Options
    That's what I get for trying it on my phone, thank you.

same.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I got the tracking number for my Z Fold 3. it allegedly doesnt't actually ship until Wednesday but that doesn't mean I won't be refreshing it every 10 minutes until it is delivered.

Also, I ordered 3 different cases, and for some reason one of them, the silicone case, was delivered last Friday. So I have a case for a phone that hasn't come out yet, which is hilarious.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    I got the tracking number for my Z Fold 3. it allegedly doesnt't actually ship until Wednesday but that doesn't mean I won't be refreshing it every 10 minutes until it is delivered.

Also, I ordered 3 different cases, and for some reason one of them, the silicone case, was delivered last Friday. So I have a case for a phone that hasn't come out yet, which is hilarious.

It's... on the truck for delivery. Fedex is doing me a solid.

Thank goodness my girlfriend is working from home to sign for it, as I'm a schmuck who actually has to go into the office. It should be waiting for me at home after work.

Its been quite some time since I've been so excited for a piece of technology. Maybe since the Palm Pre (RIP).